PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

Plastic Paddy
21/06/2004, 12:01 PM
if celtic fans hate the english blah blah and want to be weld hard irish nationalists and wear one of the only football jerseys in the world world with a proper large shamrock on it then they better head to greeece to grab a PAO(Panothinaikos) jersey.founded by an irish monk in c.1903.thats your real irish nationalism.

An Irish monk called Giorgos Kalafatis? :confused: For 'twas he who founded the club in 1908. And the reason their club badge contains a "shamrock" (they call it a "trikorn") is that several strains of the clover family are also native to Greece. So there you have it. And not an Irish connection in sight.

:D PP

lopez
21/06/2004, 1:16 PM
An Irish monk called Giorgos Kalafatis? :confused: For 'twas he who founded the club in 1908. And the reason their club badge contains a "shamrock" (they call it a "trikorn") is that several strains of the clover family are also native to Greece. So there you have it. And not an Irish connection in sight.

:D PPVery common plant in Greek sports teams' emblems. At least one Greek Cypriot team has the shamrock (Apoel??). Nothing to do with Ireland though.

EamonD
05/07/2004, 9:00 PM

Ah it's trefoil not trikorn but nice try anyhow me little Greek scholar.

Plastic Paddy
05/07/2004, 9:11 PM
Ah it's trefoil not trikorn but nice try anyhow me little Greek scholar.

We do our best. Anyhow, I have enough problems with the English language, never mind mastering the Greek. :o

Welcome on board, by the way.

:) PP

Gary
08/07/2004, 7:32 PM
When did peoples dislike of Celtic come about anyway?

On the other hand, where did peoples love come from???

Templehall
12/07/2004, 1:09 PM
A good friend of mine is Scottish, now living in Limerick - still supports his local team - Raith Rovers. He was adamant that his kids wouldn't grow up supporting an English team so he took them to matches on trips back to Scotland - both Raith Rovers and Celtic. The result is 3 Irish Celtic supporters.
I know he has tried to get them to tune in to the League of Ireland, but honestly, how can you expect anyone to watch the antics of Limerick City?

Knoert
16/07/2004, 7:03 PM
:eek: what a big thread...

I haven't read all 34 pages... but as a foreigner, I can say I like Celtic, gloryhunting? maybe... although what does a Scottish title mean nowadays? It's either Rangers or Celtic... of course it's important, but that's not a reason to become fan of a team IMO.
Main reason I became a "fan" of them is the history, culture and big support without troubles (most times ;)).

btw, I support my local glory over here in Holland :)...

The Quiet Man
16/07/2004, 7:37 PM
Nothing,Pal.

As a fan of 32 years(started as an Ulster pr*d,FFS!)& season-book holder,many who slag off the club have never been near the place ........we're dismissed as smartar*es & troublemakers elsewhere on this board,FFS!
Celtic,as has been said many times,is the club of the Irish diaspora(as are certain others.....No limit on this no....not all Irish live in Ireland!!!)....an accident of geography has placed it in Scotland....read http://etims.net

Did they not have a right rant at the irish when Miller signed for Man U? Caused a fair bit of a barney if I recall.

lopez
18/07/2004, 8:16 AM
Was to do with the way in which he signed for M*nUre....after he'd been injured...refused to sign a new contract,after having his head turned by his agent!
Ancient history now,but just hope he's a failure at the Theatre of prawns...& establishes himself for Ireland & club,elsewhere!Disagree. If he's a failure there's more chance he's a failure with Ireland. I'm not up for wishing him bad luck at our detriment just so it pleases Celtic fans.

Plastic Paddy
18/07/2004, 8:19 AM
Disagree. If he's a failure there's more chance he's a failure with Ireland. I'm not up for wishing him bad luck at our detriment just so it pleases Celtic fans.

Oh I am. I hope he breaks his leg every time he steps on the pitch for ManUre, only to effect an amazing recovery each time Kerr calls him up for Ireland. ;)

No... wait... now I'm confused. :confused: Shurely it works the other way round with Fergie's braves? :rolleyes: Let's wait for Miller's catalogue of injuries to extend themselves around future international call-up times...

lopez
18/07/2004, 8:34 AM
No... wait... now I'm confused. :confused: Shurely it works the other way round with Fergie's braves? :rolleyes: Let's wait for Miller's catalogue of injuries to extend themselves around future international call-up times... :D :D :D

liam88
19/07/2004, 3:59 PM
Dav-the singing carried on after ya left the cottage! :D (I'm talking hoops sing-alongs not just the open-mic stuff ;) ). About 4 hours after the match we'd just finished a round of Hail! Hail! when the only lad wearing a Fulham shirt in the whole pub stood up (completly mashed) and started singing one of the Fulham tunes :D

What great craic!

STAND UP FOR THE CHAMPIONS!

And we'll buy a pair of glasses for that ref next time-save him using ours ;)

Duncan Gardner
20/07/2004, 11:32 AM
I was particularly impressed with the fat, bald linesman on the Stevenage Road side, who was full of helpful advice to the rather camp referee :)

Meanwhile, further down the football pyramid...

http://football.mitoo.co.uk/MtchDay.cfm?TblName=Matches&MDate=2004%2D10%2D31%2000%3A00%3A00%2E0&DivisionID=2&LeagueCode=APFS04

RISSC v Rangers clearly needed a strong, unbiased thug in charge!

PS a very nice day out by the river. Hope you all enjoyed it (especially Liam's Mum, at her first game).

liam88
20/07/2004, 2:10 PM
Hope you all enjoyed it (especially Liam's Mum, at her first game).
Aye she loved it thanks! We'll be seeing her at a few more in the future :D
Glad you enjoyed it Duncan-hopefully see you at the next meet up?

Pat-L
11/08/2004, 10:20 PM
Iv just recently joined this site..and iv got to say that as a scots/ irish man i cannot believe the crap thats being directed at Celtic fc by some of the "true irishmen" on this site....well regardless of how u feel about the "Tic" they do have a strong irish connection..l...just look at the reason the club was founded....one of the reasons why the catholic church also fought for seperate schools ....(because the irish wern't being educated) .The other point of interest iv noticed is that it's also a crime for us to be proud of our irish heritage, Well i suppose its hard for u guys to understand (uv grown up in a country largely free from religious bias) why we embrace that heritage..but maybe if u got a taste of losing out on jobs because of ur religion/name ...or the countless other forms of bigotry we have had to put up with...u might understand it a wee bit better......whey....sorry guys but i had to get that off my chest, this statement is in no way intended to start a slaggin match...but i feel certain folk on here could benefit from a better understanding of the reason's for this close allegiance .....oh bye the way.....HAIL HAIL :cool:

Pat-L
12/08/2004, 7:21 AM
LOPEZ, i agree with ur statement (sadly its true). A lot of the posts iv read here obviously come from lads who either have no knowledge of life as a Roman Catholic living in Scotland and therefore are unable to grasp the points uv raised ( its not their fault ) having been lucky enough to have been raised in a country where there is no religious bigotry, they therefore are unable to comprehend the feelings that still run deep over here.Before anyone posts a reply calling me a bigot or anything else i'll just say this if i may Iam not a bigot my wife is a non catholic, my best man is a non catholic ..i served for 6yrs in the british army (where i was regulary asked where my alleigance's lay because of my name and religion), i employ as many non catholic's as catholic's in my buisness...so i can not in any sense of the word be called a bigot...sadly im just calling it as it is.......and yes we do live in a non cathoilc country ...and a lot of them like to remind the "feckin taigs" of that fact!.........HAIL HAIL....p.s next post will be about foot ie .....i promise :cool:

lopez
12/08/2004, 10:19 AM
LOPEZ, i agree with ur statement (sadly its true)...p.s next post will be about foot ie .....i promise :cool:Sadly the C word has gotten a few people a week in the sin bin (me included) so I hope you keep promise. I think for the most part the anti-Celtic people here is mostly down to the threat that foreign leagues are posing to the domestic game, although the insults that you'll find here are out of order.

Last night was a great night for the domstic game and shows that there is a market for the domestic game. 25K supporters turning up to watch a EL side come close to beating the fourth best team in Spain last season with hundreds others not being able to get a ticket. Obviously many will find it hard to bear Shelbourne in the Champions League group stages because they support another EL team (or like myself support Deportivo as a club because it's my mother's home town) but I think anything that gets the Irish soccer public involved with the local game at the expense of clubs abroad (including those of the diaspora) is a good thing.

the 12 th man
12/08/2004, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=lopez] because they support another EL team (or like myself support Deportivo as a club because it's my mother's home town) but I think anything that gets the Irish soccer public involved with the local game at the expense of clubs abroad (including those of the diaspora) is a good thing.[/
QUOTE]

interesting situation there lopez. i suppose you can't loose really.
agree with sentiments above. :)

lopez
12/08/2004, 10:57 AM
interesting situation there lopez. i suppose you can't loose really. agree with sentiments above. :)Listened to the game yesterday on RTE through Sky (a pub in Kilburn on friday denied they had a dodgy Irish Sky card and besides they would probably had the Man Ure game on instead). Thought Shelbourne played really well and in a way it's a game that personally whoever won, I would support them in the next phase. 50/1 before the game for Shels to go through but a score draw in La Coruna will do it. Irureta blamed the rain, which is understandable as anyone who has ever been to La Coruna or seen some of their games on Sky will know that it hasn't rained in the city since Neil Armstrong was eating out of a straw. :rolleyes: Global f*cking warming, eh?

People are concerned about a one team league, but there are surely more Ollie Byrne types out there. The one thing I think IMO Shelbourne needed was a manager with experience of a better league, even a cheapo Russian. BTW, who's this E'Ndo bloke. Sounded tasty! Did he actually play for the Cameroons at international level.

Finally, am I hijacking a Celtic thread into a EL thread? Makes up for the times Davros has done likewise the other way. :D ;)

tiktok
12/08/2004, 10:59 AM
Did he actually play for the Cameroons at international level.

30 caps and two world cups. :cool:

lopez
12/08/2004, 11:15 AM
30 caps and two world cups. :cool:Quite a find. Better than the last bloke with that sort of record at Shels - or so legend has it - Socrates.

green goblin
12/08/2004, 11:17 AM
Finally, am I hijacking a Celtic thread into a EL thread? :D ;)

Well, they do want out of the SPL...

Gary
31/08/2004, 10:07 PM
Lads, this has become yet another Celtic Vs eL slagging match, so GREENwash thread merged into the main Celtic thread.

Littlest Hobo
01/09/2004, 7:06 AM
Always annoying to see Fans at Ireland games wearing the hoops jersey.
Christ sake wear the proper top

tiktok
01/09/2004, 12:39 PM
Always annoying to see Fans at Ireland games wearing the hoops jersey.
Christ sake wear the proper top

I've no problem with wearing of the Celtic jersey (or plymouth argyle, Cork city, porto, germany away etc.etc).

At least it's green and white, better adding to the colour than wearing a grey suit ffs. ;)

sylvo
01/09/2004, 2:09 PM
At least it's green and white, better adding to the colour than wearing a grey suit ffs. ;)

Could not agree more.

liam88
01/09/2004, 3:24 PM
I've no problem with wearing of the Celtic jersey (or plymouth argyle, Cork city, porto, germany away etc.etc).

To right aye-same with Hibs I say-you're wearing a green top that says 'Irish' on it in Latin :D perfect!

Still not got a 'welcome back' yet :( ;)

Pat O' Banton
01/09/2004, 3:27 PM
To right aye-same with Hibs I say-you're wearing a green top that says 'Irish' on it in Latin :D perfect!

Still not got a 'welcome back' yet :( ;)

Sorry hombre,

welcome back. :D

Hope the hol was great.

liam88
01/09/2004, 3:34 PM
Sorry hombre,

welcome back. :D

Hope the hol was great.

Cheers mate-knew ya guys would :D
Aye was grand thanks!-went up Etna so if anyone wants some Lava rock for collection/school porject/display or anything just send us your adress and I can post ya a chunk :)
Also found out that Slovakia is responsible for some very lovely girls ;) l;ot's of dancing!

green goblin
01/09/2004, 3:44 PM
The Ireland/Jamaica match, the pub I was in beforehand was full of hoops and it was fantastic to see them. So few fans turned up for the boys in green at all, and yet the Tims were there, even though it was a non event wooden spoon of a tournament. The same goes for the people in Ireland rugby shirts, GAA shirts, London Irish tops, Guinness is good for you shirts, Jameson Herritage Centre Middleton shirts, "My parents went to Dingle and all I got with this lousy T-shirt" shirts, the whole lot.

liam88
01/09/2004, 4:21 PM
The same goes for the people in Ireland rugby shirts, GAA shirts, London Irish tops, Guinness is good for you shirts, Jameson Herritage Centre Middleton shirts, "My parents went to Dingle and all I got with this lousy T-shirt" shirts, the whole lot.

To right-London Irish=great, you're expressing your country ain't ya! :D Love London Irish :)
Good book to ;)

liam88
02/09/2004, 12:23 PM
Just when we were getting on so well an' all, Face, you had to go and spoil it. Oh well, since the gloves are now off, I can join my good friend the Señor in roundly slagging off your narrow-mindedness. It's one thing continually jibing at us Celtic fans as we're an easy target for many on here, but your decrying of the Shels' efforts in Europe really does take the proverbial biscuit. Are you really that odious and parochial in mind that you couldn't wish them all the best? Or is it that you're just an inadequate young man still waiting for his first shag who has become embittered by the whole rejection thingy yet again? Either way, grow up ffs because expressing your views to those who don't see the world your way will cause you an awful lot of trouble.

And remember this. When all's said and done, we're here to discuss a game of football. That's all. It really isn't more important than that, so please do us a favour and keep your petty childish prejudices to yourself.

:ball: PP

HAIL! HAIL! :D
Face buudy-enjoy the summer-slag off some Celtic fans outside!! I'm sure there are plenty walking past your window everytime you type so why not get the best of both your worlds and slag off our fans and get some fresh air at the same time rather than clogging up the GENERAL FOOTBALL baord with your prejudices-or even better........just drop it completly!

sylvo
02/09/2004, 7:54 PM
To right-London Irish=great, you're expressing your country ain't ya! :D Love London Irish :)
Good book to ;)

Mind yerself there Liam, Yer might get ahhh kid Macy after yer, :D , he dann't like dem Cockney's.

Pat O' Banton
03/09/2004, 3:37 PM
Hail, Hail, Celtic are really Irish and everyone shouls support them above eL teams!
(don't really mean it but just thought that I'd see if I can get the thread to 50pages)

lopez
04/09/2004, 10:02 AM
FFS, i expected something of a higher calibre response than that Lopez ..... An A*se, if you had a higher calibre of intelligence I would have made a better effort. :rolleyes: Why do I think your intelligence is greatly challenged? Because you - and the rest of the Leeside planky gang - have nothing, BUT NOTHING, to say except sh*te, although quick to go running to dahamsta and get myself and Mr. O'Banton banned for a week if we start rising to your insults. Perhaps, when your cojones have dropped things will be different and you can come back and prove me wrong with some sort of coherent argument. Until then (YAWN) you're little more than an irritating itch on my sphincter. :cool:

BTW, Sell-thick? That sounds a very good description of yourself: THICK (pretty obvious this one I know) and willing to SELL out his country's footballing prosperity - and in the process stem the flow of the people in the country that feel the need to buy the shirts of foreign clubs - because, oh dear someone hand the poor darling a hanky, his club doesn't have a sugar daddy like Shelbourne.

A face
05/09/2004, 3:17 PM
Lopez, ....... see what you can do when you try !! :D
Ten points for effort, someone give him a biscuit :)

although quick to go running to dahamsta and get myself and Mr. O'Banton banned for a week if we start rising to your insults.

Listen mate .... while i do at times enjoy your ramblings, i dont go running anyway about them. You are well able to get banned on your own, you dont my help at all, just wanted to set you straight on that point.

And you obviously didnt read my comments about Shels very well or you are taking them out of context, but then again ... that was never a concern for you anyway was it :) .......... Anyway, while you wither on about it and boast all that is Sell-Thick, i will just laugh at the múppets who "support" a supposedly Irish team, (that somehow makes them more Irish) in Britain and all this, over a team in the National League of Ireland.

lopez
05/09/2004, 3:53 PM
Listen mate .... while i do at times enjoy your ramblings, i dont go running anyway about them. You are well able to get banned on your own, you dont my help at all, just wanted to set you straight on that point.Oh deary me!! Sell-thick the Muppet butts in on this thread aiming to wind people up and what happens? It looks like he's getting all wound up himself. Must of hit a sore spot! F*cking brilliant! You've made my Sunday, an A*se. :D

And you obviously didnt read my comments about Shels very well or you are taking them out of context, but then again ... that was never a concern for you anyway was it.Oh I read them alright. Let me see: 'I think a big factor here lads (and wake up to it FFS) is that if Shels won ..... the league title would be over for 21 clubs for the next 10 years.' Then: '...If Shels won last night ... what good would it have done ... it would have raised the profile of the league and that is it. No other eL club would have benefited from it. My argument is that it is not good for the league to have one team pull away from the pack and dominate for the next 10-20 years. It would be like watching SPL .... Shíte ..... Thats what we should avoid. That is all i am saying.' Now Sell-thick, that doesn't sound like positive support for a Shels victory. It sounds like it would be better for Irish football that Shels (or any EL side except your own) failed to make it into the Champions League group stages. In other words, the league is better sh*te, the consequence being that much of the footballing following population will follow the foreign teams you claim to abhor. But then this is just my view: I'll let the rest of the posters on this thread make their own mind up on whether I was taking you out of context...or not!

Anyway, while you wither on about it and boast all that is Sell-Thick, i will just laugh at the múppets who "support" a supposedly Irish team, (that somehow makes them more Irish) in Britain and all this, over a team in the National League of Ireland.You still expect people on here to take a lecture on who to support? :confused: You truly are thick, Sell-Thick! :rolleyes:

nlgbbbblth
05/09/2004, 4:08 PM
Good to see so many Hoops @ LR yesterday.......btw,many worn by young kids & old FB(Fat B*stards/Bills!)'s,who looked more like yer average weatherbeaten FG candiate,than some sort of rabid sectarian person.................. ;)

why have you got against people wearing Ireland jersies to Ireland games?

A face
05/09/2004, 4:51 PM
Oh deary me!! Sell-thick the Muppet butts in on this thread aiming to wind people up and what happens? It looks like he's getting all wound up himself. Must of hit a sore spot! F*cking brilliant! You've made my Sunday, an A*se. :D

Sore spot .... ??? ..... ??? ..... not at all my friend, not at all. :D

that doesn't sound like positive support for a Shels victory. It sounds like it would be better for Irish football that Shels (or any EL side except your own) failed to make it into the Champions League group stages.

It wasnt meant to be positive support for Shels, where did you get the idea it was ? And yes, i wouldn't like any Irish team getting to the group stages for at least another 2-3 years, and that includes my own.

In other words, the league is better sh*te, the consequence being that much of the footballing following population will follow the foreign teams you claim to abhor. But then this is just my view: I'll let the rest of the posters on this thread make their own mind up on whether I was taking you out of context...or not!

It doesn't matter what the rest of the posters make of it, cos i see that you have already altered it to suit yourself. "In other words ..." ....... Ahm NO, not in any other words at all, not matter what way you arrange them. The point i am trying to make is (again) "My argument is that it is not good for the league to have one team pull away from the pack and dominate for the next 10-20 years. It would be like watching SPL .... Shíte ..... Thats what we should avoid." .... that is what i am saying. !!

You still expect people on here to take a lecture on who to support?

They can take whatever the fúck they want really ... makes no odds to me :)
But i will still laugh ..... and laugh ........ and laugh ......

A face
15/09/2004, 1:21 PM
Did we really see Sell-Thick shown up to be an ordinary team last night v Barca or is it only a hic-up for them ??

the 12 th man
15/09/2004, 1:46 PM
Did we really see Celtic shown up to be an ordinary team last night v Barca

opened up the can there,
maybe not ordinary but they were outplayed for large segments of the game last night.
looked a bit out of sorts and i think they gave barca too much room/respect.

bhoys are missing larson big time

joeSoap
15/09/2004, 2:00 PM
They're ordinary, and that will continue to be shown in the champions league, especially away from home where the crowd and 'fighting spirit' won't be worth a damn to them.
Ordinary teams spend £1.5 million or so pre-season, great teams spend buckets. Until O'Neills purse strings are loosened, then it'll be the same old same old...

drinkfeckarse
15/09/2004, 2:17 PM
Outclassed totally. £45m spent by Barca in the summer showed the difference between the 2 clubs.

I thought we'd a chance of nicking it during a 20 minute period of pressure before and after our goal but if that had happened then it would have been stolen.

No complaints, ability beats passion 9 times out of 10 and I thought we'd get a hiding when I saw them keep the ball from us for the first 5 minutes and when we did get it, the first thing we did was hump it up the park and give it straight back to them :confused: . Never really understood that logic myself :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I think we'll get a few more comprehensive beatings in this group.

green goblin
15/09/2004, 2:38 PM
Well, there'll always been crowing in some quarters, whenever Celtic lose a high profile match like this.
It was a really strange evening all round. The whole Henrik thing was really bizarre, almost surreal to see Jebus-made-flesh himself potting it in the net... :( and then not celebrating in the usual manner. :( It wasn't the best of games, to be fair. I thought they were on top for a while, but the it-all-goes-titsup-fairy sprinkled her magic dust and it fell apart.
But to answer the original question, no, they're far, far from ordinary.

Pat O' Banton
15/09/2004, 4:11 PM
Define ordinary. Well capable of progressing from the group stage, unfortunately not this group. Barca are a very good side and will probably get better with time. AC may well do a job on Celtic as well.
However they have shown in the past that they are capable of beating some very good teams probably will do so again.
Certainly as well Celtic did have an off night (all three goals were down to defensive mistakes) however were comperhensively outplayed. Restricted by their (and Rangers) success in Scotland big tv companies will not touch them, they will unable to attract players to narrow the gap in Europe. This isn't a bealt by the way I know that the smaller clubs in Scotland have similar grievances against Celtic and Rangers. Simply stating facts.

Prob at monent a second tier European side.

ccfcman
21/10/2004, 7:47 AM
Celtic, truely an awful joke, as my Dad said, small time players in a big club. When will Martin O'Neill wake up and jump ship, there is no more he can do with the club.

Before anybody makes scathing remarks, I have no interest in the 32 Counties aspect of Celtic, ie. The Celtic "fans" at Turners Cross a couple years ago.

thecorner
21/10/2004, 8:03 AM
a face,will be distraught today ;)

drinkfeckarse
21/10/2004, 8:19 AM
Celtic, truely an awful joke,

And what exactly makes them an awful joke?? :confused:

ccfcman
21/10/2004, 8:22 AM
And what exactly makes them an awful joke?? :confused:

They play every1 in Scotland off the park for fun and couldnt be bothered their arse raising their game in Europe, ffs did you not see the cut of their passing and off the ball running, Neil Lennon is a spoofer supreme, he couldn't get into a flippin Cobh team!

drinkfeckarse
21/10/2004, 8:35 AM
They play every1 in Scotland off the park for fun and couldnt be bothered their arse raising their game in Europe, ffs did you not see the cut of their passing and off the ball running, Neil Lennon is a spoofer supreme, he couldn't get into a flippin Cobh team!

So that's their fault that they've outgrown their domestic league? It's a simple fact that if you're playing sh!te every week then you're going to struggle long term against better teams if you're not used to playing them.

2nd half performance was woeful alright but their passing wasn't as bad as you suggest. Can you not recall the move where Hartson ballooned it over the bar in the 2nd half after Camara hit it straight at the keeper? The movement was excellent and they had strung about 20 passes together without Shaktar touching it before he wasted it.

Neil Lennon? While I'm not a huge fan, the facts are fairly simple......he's got a better pass completion rate than most midfielders in the Champions League (opto stats) which basically means he doesn't give the ball away, which basically means if the opposition don't have the ball then they can't score (no smart comments about how it hasn't worked so far!!). Carlo Ancellotti pointed out before the Milan game that Lennon was the player he most admired in the Celtic team and that in his opinion, every team needed someone like him.