PDA

View Full Version : Zorbing

Billsthoughts
17/08/2007, 10:45 AM
anyone do this?
any good?
I thought I heard an ad for Co Kildare which says there is Zorbing there but when I did a google I couldnt find it.
anyone know if kildare zorbing??????????????????

cheers

biscuit
17/08/2007, 10:54 AM
looks class...wouldnt be a bad idea for a franchise if you had a few different things to go with it!although getting insurance for it in this country would probably need a billionaires bankroll!:rolleyes:

Billsthoughts
17/08/2007, 11:19 AM
ah man you know what else was deadly but you wouldnt get the insurance in a fit here? did anyone ever do the thing in Queenstown new zealand...luging?(sp) aw man that is great craic. would love to do something like that here. ya basically on a little seat on wheels goin down hill about a million miles an hour. great craic with a bunch a lads. dunno why we dont have more outdoory culture here seein as new zealand has such brutal weather as well. altho pubs /insurance probably has something to do with it.

biscuit
17/08/2007, 11:23 AM
ya i always said that! we have such vast countryside, especially in the west to have all these things. Insurance must be a major factor, but if something could be organised like grants by the government to help out people setting these activities up, it could be a massive money maker in the tourism trade., internal and external tourism.

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 11:44 AM
According to Wikipedia:

"Zorbing: is a recreational activity developed in the 1990s that consists of rolling downhill inside of a usually transparent, double-hulled sphere called a zorb, made from PVC".

So its not a skill based game like Russian Roulette?

paul_oshea
17/08/2007, 11:53 AM
check out this site, they have all sorts in new zealand....man. Its savage.
http://www.canyonswing.co.nz/index.php

dont really think we have any "canyons" unfortunately!!

Ash
17/08/2007, 12:21 PM
Was lucky enough to go both Zorbing and Luging in NZ a few years ago.

Both were massive craic even if I was only going about 2 kmph in my luge while
been overtaken at high speed by fellas 20yrs younger than me :o

Worst part of the luge for me was getting the ski-lift thing up to the start line.
I'm not the best with heights and, typicial for me, the lift got stuck half way up!
So there I was, sitting in a shakey seat in the sky with my lefs dangling over the
side!!! I nearly filled the pants!!!!

Zorbing was cool although I was convinced that I'd bounce over the perimeter
fencing and off down the road :p
(bad luck and me go together like gin & tonic so I always expect the worst!)

Dricky
17/08/2007, 12:38 PM
Did it in Tingnes will snowboarding about 4 years ago, down the side of part of the mountain. it was class, if you have a weak stomach don't do it because you part with your lunch one way or the other :) a few people had to have the Zorb cleaned out after them.

It is great fun but doesn't last long which was the only down side

Countyman
17/08/2007, 2:21 PM
anyone do this?
any good?
I thought I heard an ad for Co Kildare which says there is Zorbing there but when I did a google I couldnt find it.
anyone know if kildare zorbing??????????????????

cheers

Doubt if there's zorbing in Kildare. There's no decent hills, Sure its flat as a pancake here .

Macy
21/08/2007, 7:23 AM
Doubt if there's zorbing in Kildare. There's no decent hills, Sure its flat as a pancake here .
Definitely on the ad, freakly on as soon as I hit "reply" :eek: . It's on that Failte Ireland ad about visiting your neighbours...

That's twice that's happened recently, was texting Movies and Booze on Moncrieff looking for Lasko Slovenian beer and he read out a text by someone else asking where to get it just before I hit send.

Countyman
21/08/2007, 11:21 AM
Kilkenny is the location according to this website. Is there another one in Kildare?

http://www.zorb.ie/html/questions.html

Docboy
21/08/2007, 11:51 AM
check out this site, they have all sorts in new zealand....man. Its savage.
http://www.canyonswing.co.nz/index.php

dont really think we have any "canyons" unfortunately!!

Had the pleasure of doing this swing a couple of years ago while in NZ. An absolute head rush which leaves you floating on serotonin for the rest of the day. Top notch.

Heard that the zorbing is done in Tipperary though not sure where.

Countyman
21/08/2007, 3:34 PM
So to clarify..rumours are that zorbing takes place in Kildare, Kilkenny and Tipperary. Maybe some poor sod got flung down a hill and the thing is still bouncing all over the midlands???

Wolfie
21/08/2007, 4:06 PM
So to clarify..rumours are that zorbing takes place in Kildare, Kilkenny and Tipperary. Maybe some poor sod got flung down a hill and the thing is still bouncing all over the midlands???

If prevailing wind plots him a course for the Cliffs of Moher things could get nasty.