PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk 1-2 UCD

DmanDmythDledge
16/08/2007, 11:49 PM
Wasn't the best of performances but we're through to the next round. Doyler getting amongst the goals again and Sammon scoring with a header.:D The second goal was all Conan Byrne though. Absolute legend- the next Tony Mc (not in the hamstring way though).

pineapple stu
16/08/2007, 11:56 PM
A late late Conor Sammon goal saw UCD sneak into the Quarter Finals of the FAI Cup for the fourth successive year - and the fifth time in seven years - at the expense of an unlucky Dundalk side in Oriel Park tonight.

It was a hard fought win against a side unbeaten at home in over a year, although victory came at a cost as, for the third time in a month, UCD lost a player through injury in the warm-up - Alan McNally this time feeling a tightening of his hamstring. He was replaced by Greg Bolger, with Brian King dropping to right back and Brian Shortall playing centre back in a rather makeshift UCD defence. Shane McFaul came back into the team in place of Peter Hynes as Pete Mahon reverted to a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Dundalk didn't have much opportunity to test UCD's defence early on, and UCD took just ten minutes to take the lead. Shane Fitzgerald's surging run ended in his shot being blocked away for a corner; from this, Fitzgerald managed to swing in a pin point cross, which Derek Doyle buried with a bullet header for his eighth of the season, and his third in as many games.

The same player came close to making it 2-0 minutes later when his shot from 25 yards came crashing down off the underside of the bar, with Neil Gallagher in the Dundalk goal again motionless.

On the stroke of half time, only referee Damien Hancock prevented UCD going two ahead when failing to award a penalty for a clear handball from left back David Crawley. However, at the break, it was still fairly comfortable for the Students.

That changed in the second half as Dundalk started gradually to pin the visitors back, and they equalised just past the hour. Philip Hughes' 25-yard shot was only parried by Darren Quigley, and Robbie Doyle seized on the loose ball to turn home from a very tight angle.

Although ultimately Dundalk failed to really test Quigley, they were narrowly off target on several occasions, while Brian Shortall was called on to make an excellent block after Robbie Doyle had split the UCD defence open.

Just as it looked UCD had held out for a replay, however, Conan Byrne wriggled free of Crawley at the by line to put in a cross. Derek Doyle returned it at the far post, and Sammon was on hand to head home to an unguarded net from all of two yards to spark wild celebrations among the visitors.

UCD: D Quigley, Shortall, Bermingham, Kenna, Bolger (Byrne, 70 mins), King, Fitzgerald, McFaul, Sammon, Finn (Crowley, 82 mins), D Doyle. Subs not used - Gregg, Purcell, Hayes, McWalter.

Bald Student
17/08/2007, 1:28 AM
Derek Doyle returned it at the far post, and Sammon was on hand to head home to an unguarded net from all of two yards to spark wild celebrations among the visitors.I think it was wilder at the home end.

Poor Student
17/08/2007, 12:39 PM
I was saying this to Bald Student on the bus, did anyone feel like they were in a zombie movie when Dundalk scored? There was an encroaching horde of brain dead creatures circling in from all sides. It was more ridiculous than the Bray kids in 2005! Pity about the group chucking coins and stones at us at the match. Something came close to hitting the youngest member of our party at half time. That's by no means a slight on the general Dundalk fans as there was just a small group around our area.

Conan underlined his quality again by starting the move (or scramble) that lead to the winner. I've nothing against Fitzgerald but I think Conan and Doyle should be our starting wingers. I still don't rate Doyle but he gives us balance and defies his abailty to be prolific for a UCD player in the Premier Division.

Ally Mac told Dman that he tweaked his hamstring in training and asked Pete to not select him in case he aggravated it, so he shouldn't be out for very long.

Bald Student
17/08/2007, 12:47 PM
A source close to Steve Staunton said, "Dazza for Ireland!".

DmanDmythDledge
17/08/2007, 1:08 PM
I was saying this to Bald Student on the bus, did anyone feel like they were in a zombie movie when Dundalk scored? There was an encroaching horde of brain dead creatures circling in from all sides. It was more ridiculous than the Bray kids in 2005! Pity about the group chucking coins and stones at us at the match. Something came close to hitting the youngest member of our party at half time. That's by no means a slight on the general Dundalk fans as there was just a small group around our area.

Conan underlined his quality again by starting the move (or scramble) that lead to the winner. I've nothing against Fitzgerald but I think Conan and Doyle should be our starting wingers. I still don't rate Doyle but he gives us balance and defies his abailty to be prolific for a UCD player in the Premier Division.

Ally Mac told Dman that he tweaked his hamstring in training and asked Pete to not select him in case he aggravated it, so he shouldn't be out for very long.
I never noticed any stones- only coins, a lighter and chewing gum thrown by 12 year olds.:D

I agree that Conan should start but I think that Doyler should be played upfront. Regarding who should play on which wing it seems to be a bit of a catch 22 situation. With Fitzy on the right we can play through balls for him to run onto and cross into the box, which he wouldn't be able to do on the left. Conan uses his skill to beat the full back so he could just move the ball onto his right foot. The other way at looking at it is that Conan is much better at crossing the ball, and given the fact he can cross from deep and from the byline the opposition defence won't be able to guess what he's going to do. I haven't seen Fitzy on the left but I think we should put him there late on in some game if we're winning comfortably to see how he does.

John83
17/08/2007, 1:28 PM
...I haven't seen Fitzy on the left but I think we should put him there late on in some game if we're winning comfortably to see how he does.
Jasus, he'll be retired before then. :)

I'd sooner see Conan start too. He's a more rounded player than Fitzy, who could be very useful off the bench - pace is hell for a tired defender to deal with.

John83
17/08/2007, 1:29 PM
A source close to Steve Staunton said, "Dazza for Ireland!".
I heard from a source close to him also that he was there to look at Tony Mac as a long term replacement for Carsley.

bellavistaman
17/08/2007, 1:35 PM
I never noticed any stones- only coins, a lighter and chewing gum thrown by 12 year olds.:D

Myself and another (adult) were talking up there at half time, and some 12-15 year old fella eyebrow pierced the lot comes up and says "hope you dont think your winning this, we'll (points to a gang of nasty looking ****ers) behind him, will bop the head off ye" I just goes to my buddy see ya later, and took off, skittin:). some nutters up there alright. All our hard shots were startin on them, second something happened they took off.

DmanDmythDledge
18/08/2007, 1:17 AM
Alan Mahon will be back next week also.

Dunny
18/08/2007, 2:05 AM
Myself and another (adult) were talking up there at half time, and some 12-15 year old fella eyebrow pierced the lot comes up and says "hope you dont think your winning this, we'll (points to a gang of nasty looking ****ers) behind him, will bop the head off ye" I just goes to my buddy see ya later, and took off, skittin:). some nutters up there alright. All our hard shots were startin on them, second something happened they took off.
yea there are some wee pr**ks up here who think they can take on anyone who comes there way...they are dragging this club down