PDA

View Full Version : Wake up to Wexford!

passinginterest
16/08/2007, 4:00 PM
This got some publicity in the Wexford Echo this week.

It seems to be a pretty accurate reflection of life in Wexford from what I can tell. Although I haven't seen it with the sound on yet.

Funny that it gets a mention in the Echo next to an article about mindless vandalism in the town, which seems to add weight to it.

Wexford Echo (http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/story.asp?j=27168&cat=news)

You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jwePNlR7s)

Sums up how a lot of us exiles see Wexford deteriorating. I've never felt as unsafe after a night on the town in Dublin as I used to in Wexford.

Risteard
16/08/2007, 4:45 PM
I dunno passinginterest.
Surely that video wasn't made by anyone who has anything to do with Wexford.

The end just says Its ****ing ****.

A bit of civic pride wouldn't go amiss.

Pauro 76
16/08/2007, 7:47 PM
Myself and the girlfriend might possibly be moving to Wexford next year. Is it really that bad, cos she had a look at it in a tourist brochure and thought it looked like a really nice place. It never struck me as a place for trouble.

Risteard
16/08/2007, 7:57 PM
Tourist brochure isn't a reliable indicator.

My experience of it is as a lovely place but a wexy friend of mine says she'd never seen as many scraps etc as the last time she was down there.

Every place has its scummers though and even in a town of Wexfords size there's good and bad areas.

Pauro 76
17/08/2007, 8:32 AM
Suppose any place can look good in a tourist brochure. Its the way towns in Ireland are these days I suppose. Away from Wexford town surely must be ok.

Bluebeard
17/08/2007, 9:15 AM
I used to know one of the guys in the vid, he's a Wexford man and proud. Bit of a storm in a teacup, really. It could be said of almost any town in Ireland that doesn't really have the resources for it's population (almost any town in Ireland). I suspect that the main aim was not to make comment on Wexford, but on the ad it spoofs.

Vaguely funny, but poor production quality lets it down. I'd love to see what Kubrik would have done with the material.

passinginterest
17/08/2007, 9:28 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Wexford is a complete write off, but, it does have some extremely serious social issues. The lads are obviously spoofing it up but they raise a valid point.

Wexford has, for a long time, been one of the most neglected parts of the country in terms of development and investment. Numerous factories have closed in and around the town and never been replaced.

The number of violent incidents and sexual assaults in the area seen disproportionately high. Walk down the main street on a Saturday night at about 3am and see how safe you feel. It was bad five years ago and seems to be 10 times worse now.

There really is very little for young people to do in Wexford, not a bowling alley, not a proper shopping centre, not much in the way of well supported or funded youth clubs, not even a McDonalds for God sake.

I worry about the future of Wexford.

Sunny Jim
17/08/2007, 10:20 AM
The town centre on a Saturday night can be like Beirut but other than that it's pretty quiet. It has the same social problems as any other large provincial town, but I wouldn't single Wexford out above any others.

biscuit
17/08/2007, 10:38 AM
we are the exact same lads....the bigger provincial towns, athlone, ennis etc are similar.the amenities for young people too old to stay in - too young to go out (15-17 imho) are lacking in all these towns so its no coincidence theres trouble in all of them.

Risteard
17/08/2007, 11:12 AM
There really is very little for young people to do in Wexford, not a bowling alley, not a proper shopping centre, not much in the way of well supported or funded youth clubs, not even a McDonalds for God sake.

County Clare doesn't have a McDonalds.
The 100,000 people there get by.

passinginterest
17/08/2007, 11:35 AM

I know I should be proud they haven't sold out to a multi national blood sucking conglomerate. :)

Plenty of nice scenery and great people in Wexford, doesn't change the fact that as far as the government is concerned the main priority in Wexford is the roads out of it.

It's a town that seems to get ignored by the national media too, so maybe a crappy you tube video by some disenchanted locals getting a bit of publicity will draw attention to the fact that Wexford needs investment and support.

Pauro 76
17/08/2007, 11:36 AM
Lack of a police presence at night is surely part of the problem. Take Longford for example. Main street fight at 3am outside the takeaways. Where are the guards????

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 11:54 AM
Lack of a police presence at night is surely part of the problem. Take Longford for example. Main street fight at 3am outside the takeaways. Where are the guards????

Queing for a Chicken Burger?

Pauro 76
17/08/2007, 12:07 PM
Queing for a Chicken Burger?

Only becuase there's no donut shops in Longford. :)

In seriousness though, ive been away from ireland the last few years,and anytime i go back, the street violence seems to get worse. Is rural Ireland a safe place to live these days, i feel safer in London!

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 12:46 PM
Only becuase there's no donut shops in Longford. :)

In seriousness though, ive been away from ireland the last few years,and anytime i go back, the street violence seems to get worse. Is rural Ireland a safe place to live these days, i feel safer in London!

Well, Pauro, I worked in Longford for 6 months in 96 and it was dodgy back then. Can only imagine it now. Is Luigi's still on the go?

NeilMcD
17/08/2007, 1:51 PM
Yeah I always think youare more likely to have prolems in the large provincial towns that you are in any of the cities in this country. I have never had one bit of trouble in Dublin but have had hassle in the towns mentioned above.

Pauro 76
17/08/2007, 2:49 PM
Well, Pauro, I worked in Longford for 6 months in 96 and it was dodgy back then. Can only imagine it now. Is Luigi's still on the go?

It most certainly is! :)

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 3:32 PM
It most certainly is! :)

Didn't work in Luigi's, I hasten to add, but witnessed more than the Burgers get battered there!!

First
18/08/2007, 2:56 PM

There is a McDonalds in Shannon. Lovely quiet area . Supermacs in the Town Centre thats a whole different chickenburger.You have a good chance of getting a bloody nose and "beaten black" queing for one of them after the local disco.

But Clare is still far and away the greatest county in Ireland!!!!!:)

mypost
18/08/2007, 8:53 PM

Containing our fans. :D:rolleyes: