PDA

View Full Version : U.C.D. 3-3 Skonto Riga

UCD_4_Life
07/04/2003, 9:37 PM
I can't believe I missed it, looks like a class game. Nice to see Sean Finn get on the scoresheet too.

McNally and Gallen with the others. How did Gallen play? Did he look any sharper than last season?

Any other standout/poor performances?

@ndy
08/04/2003, 2:22 PM
The team from the start was:

Jennings

Paddy Sullivan Tony Mac Robbie Mac Darragh Ryan

Johnny Martin Gavin Whelan Mick-O Cawley

Gallen R Martin

Arrived after the Gallen goal. We looked sharp in the first half. They looked dangerous every time they attacked, precise crossfield balls to feet cutting us wide open, and although we were never under great pressure it wasn't a surprise when they equalised. Of the goal i can remember not too much and i was at the far side of the ground, but a high ball into the box headed down on the 6 yard line went right under Jennings. It looked like poor goalkeeping to me, but we won't castigate him in the first major pre season game. One Mr Barry Ryan must have been an interested spectator in the stands (cough judas cough).

Half time and 3 changes for both sides. While i won't bother telling you the skonto changes, i will mention that it was quite amusing listening to Michael do it on the PA! Doolin's choice at half time was to experiment with another combination at the back, and so Rob McAuley made way for Alan Mahon. The other two changes were Sean Finn (or sinn fein as i heard the lads call him) and new old boy Robbie Griffin for Gallen and Martin. Midway thru the half O Donnell made way for McNally as well as Jennings to give Barry Andrews a run, Doolin making sure to let everyone know that nobody can be sure of their place. Late on Niall Donnelly was brought on for i think Darragh Ryan.

The second half was a good half of football. We went two goals down as the half progressed and it stayed that way until about ten minutes to go. We continued however throughout the half, to play good attacking football up the wings and the Latvians never had control of the game. Alan Mahon was getting forward well, as well as Paddy Sullivan. The right wing was where more of our danger came from, Cawley seemed a bit out on his own when he got the ball on the left and so either had to hold it up for support or try an ambitious cross, so maybe thats something to look at as we start the season. I was very impressed with us as we went forward though, sullivan in particular would hold off if there wasn't a good pass/run on, and at the same time was not afraid to have a go at the defenders who were pressing us all the time. It was intelligent calm football. Johnny Martin made some lovely runs and space for some good crosses. Despite this agressive play, i didn't think we were going to break them down, as they were very sound at the back. The goal we did get eventually with about 10 minutes on the clock so came as i thought the game might peter out. All i remember is Sean Finn getting the ball outside the box from a ball played from the right knocked away, he turned slightly and struck what was a sweet shot right into the bottom corner. From there we were given a second wind after all the hard work, and with McNally on fresh and running his legs off we created a couple more opportunities before eventually equalising through that man, McNally who poked home a loosed ball from the penalty spot.

A very good game and one that puts me in an optimistic mood coming into the new season. The way we attacked was exactly what we missed last season. Last season we only ever showed form like that when trying to come back into games, notably Rovers at home before xmas. If we can forget who our opposition is this season and just play that way i can see us causing problems for teams this season.

Of the players i was impressed with last night, Gavin Whelan really got stuck in in midfield and looks a good player. Sullivan and Martin on the right looked good, and well in tune with each other. McDonnell looks really solid at the back and i think with the options we have in midfield he should stay there to fill Clive's boots. I think McAuley is the man to be beside him at the back, keeping it solid, therefore with the starting back four last night i think we should have our regular defensive line up. As for the midfield, well Cawley and Martin seem to be first choice on the wings, so barring injury the competition is for the central roles. Our strongest central midfielder of the bunch left in my mind is Alan McNally, however you also have Whelan, Micko and Finn looking for one of those places. Finn also looks a strong challenger for one of the places up front. Robbie Martin is still lacking the form he has rarely shown but we know he's capable of. Nobody likes Gallen but he's been scoring goals, and Robbie Griffin is more experienced than any of them. If i was picking the team for Friday i think i would start Griffin and Finn. Barry Andrews only got about 15 minutes but looked comfortable in goal.

So here's to Friday!!! Bring on de boez.....:>

Schumi
08/04/2003, 5:29 PM
I'm pi$$ed off I missed it. Looks promising for Friday though.