PDA

View Full Version : Which Cup game should be live?

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
15/08/2007, 9:34 PM
Random pointless poll time. Following on from the debate on the other thread, which Cup game should be live?

Bray v Pat's
Cork v Kilkenny
Dundalk v UCD
Harps v Derry
Limerick v Douglas Hall
Longford v Fanad
Malahide v Bohs
Waterford v Sligo

Can someone set up an aul poll? Cheers!

Tis-smeee
15/08/2007, 9:38 PM
Waterford Sligo obviously

Sam_Heggy
15/08/2007, 9:43 PM
Harps - Derry.

Saint MacDara
15/08/2007, 9:44 PM
There's only 1 Dublin team playing at home,so it has to be...
Malahide v Bohs:D

pineapple stu
15/08/2007, 9:45 PM
Bray are at home too.

I'd go Harps v Derry though.

MeathDrog
15/08/2007, 9:57 PM
Harps V derry

pineapple stu
15/08/2007, 10:02 PM
The public wants what the public gets...

Tis-smeee
15/08/2007, 10:07 PM
Going underground?

jebus
15/08/2007, 10:13 PM
Malahide it is then

Saint MacDara
15/08/2007, 10:19 PM
His heart was in the right place,we should have more polls on the site.
Or even more Poles perhaps!

eelmonster
15/08/2007, 11:00 PM
Harps v Derry

sligoman
15/08/2007, 11:04 PM
Either of these two would be best:

Limerick 37 v Douglas Hall
Longford v Fanad

DmanDmythDledge
15/08/2007, 11:08 PM
Harps vs Derry.

harry crumb
15/08/2007, 11:19 PM
Harps Derry is the obvious stand out tie.

TheBoss
15/08/2007, 11:39 PM
I would say Finn Harps v Derry aswell.

MariborKev
16/08/2007, 12:16 AM
The live game should be Harps v Derry

1) TG4 aims to reach out to the native Irish speakers and yet it ignores the game which features a side with an Irish speaking area?

2) If I was a broadcaster or sponsor I would want to associated with a game which has a big atmosphere and a big crowd. This game will be the best attended of the weekend, as well as the one with the largest outside interest.

There are less than 100 tickets left for Derry fans and we'd expect this to sell out early tomorrow morning, with plenty of people yet to get their tickets. In fact Harps don't appear to be sending any more, so there will be Derry fans disappointed.

A packed ground portrays the domestic product and by extension the sponsors and TV companies well. It is much easier to fill a few seconds by zooming in on the Derry or Harps fans going mental than it will be to pan across the vast empty expanses of the RSC.

Derry and Harps fans will be going all out for this one as both sets of fans raise their game for this one. Look at the last few games between the two sides
- Derry get a man sent off, miss two penalties and score right at the death
- Felix gets sent off early, McHugh scores a cracker, City win 3-2 in the Brandy
- "That game", the relegation playoff where McHugh equalises with the last kick of normal time, Liam Coyle scores the winner on his last ever appearance, Harps get two men sent off and City stay up.

That is just the most recent encounters!

4) As much as hate to stay it, there is a chance of an upset here. Harps flying in the First Division(fair play to them) and City treading water in the Premier.

If City lose the season is effectively over and there is huge pressure on Derry for this game. Harps want promotion and the Cup would be a bonus.

5) As well as the North West derby aspect(which demands a thread of its own) there is the ex-player aspect. Higgsy, Derry assistant last year and jettisoned by Fenlon is in charge of Harps. Add in the fact that more than half the Harps side have played for Derry in the recent past adds spice to it.

It is a shame that the rest of Ireland will miss out on sampling the unique atmosphere of a North West derby.

dcfcsteve
16/08/2007, 12:28 AM
No neeed for a poll, as it has to be Harps-Derry.

I strongly suspect that whoever picks the games for TG4 simply doesn't know or understand EL football. If you didn't, you'd pick an all-Premier game - which is what they've done. If you did know the game, you'd pick Harps v Derry - as it's the tie of the round, will be the best attended, and probably the best spectacle overall.

The Lilywhites
16/08/2007, 12:28 AM
Hardly rocket science...Harps v Derry.

Burny89
16/08/2007, 3:19 AM
ahhh **** Maribor, snapping i can't be at, you've summed up the occasion well and the anticipation is rising. Hopefully AAD can get CMA going for us as the national broadcast have let the game down again

Sunny Jim
16/08/2007, 7:20 AM
Has to be Harps v Derry. It'll surely have the best atmosphere of all the ties.

sligored
16/08/2007, 8:21 AM
waterford v sligo. showing finn park would be a bad advertisement for the standard of grounds in the eircom league.

bellavistaman
16/08/2007, 8:24 AM
Either of these two would be best:

Limerick 37 v Douglas Hall
Longford v Fanad

Would love to watch Limerick Douglas Hall, anybody know what odds Douglas are.
Waterford game of bit of interest to me with Dave Warren, Brosnan, Holden, breen, all ex rams players play there.

CJTheGull
16/08/2007, 8:48 AM
[QUOTE=pineapple stu;747101]Bray are at home too.

Are you the Professor of Geography at UCD? Always thought Bray was in County Wicklow but sure what would I know I only went to Trinity. :p

Schumi
16/08/2007, 10:23 AM
Can someone set up an aul poll? Cheers!You could have.

Dodge
16/08/2007, 10:33 AM
Anything but Harps Derry for me.

Jerry The Saint
16/08/2007, 11:45 AM
Waterford - Sligo should be shown as this is the game that has been advertised. Showing a different game would be silly and lead to widespread confusion.

The live game should be Harps v Derry

1) TG4 aims to reach out to the native Irish speakers and yet it ignores the game which features a side with an Irish speaking area?

Waterford has a Gaeltacht (http://www.deise.ie/)!:)

The vast majority of people who care about who wins the Harps-Derry game will be at the ground - why do fans of the two teams care about it being on TV if they won't be watching on TG4:confused:

kev mcq
16/08/2007, 1:10 PM
waterford v sligo. showing finn park would be a bad advertisement for the standard of grounds in the eircom league.

Yeah and the RSC is the equivalent of the San Siro:rolleyes:

Dodge
16/08/2007, 1:12 PM
Yeah and the RSC is the equivalent of the San Siro:rolleyes:

waterford's main stand actually looks OK on TV

lofty9
16/08/2007, 1:16 PM
The Sheep vs Greyhounds all the way ;)

OneRedArmy
16/08/2007, 1:28 PM
Anything but Harps Derry for me.I agree, I'm going to the match so I'd like something else to watch when I come back.:D

CJTheGull
In fairness at least a game is being covered a few years ago there was only the semi's and final on the box. In fairness Finn Park is a bit of a tiolet although I suppose the RSC is hardly The Carlisle!

sligoman
anybody know what odds Douglas are. 6-1 with PP

Ceirtlis
16/08/2007, 1:46 PM
Finn Harps Vs Derry

The Lilywhites
16/08/2007, 3:20 PM
waterford's main stand actually looks OK on TV

Will they not be videoing it from the main stand? so we get to see a running track?

Dodge
16/08/2007, 3:34 PM
Will they not be videoing it from the main stand? so we get to see a running track?

Last time there was a live game it was opposit the main stand. Think they set up a little gantry for them

Olander
16/08/2007, 3:41 PM
Harps v Derry

Saint MacDara
16/08/2007, 4:36 PM
What's the odds for a boring 0 - 0 for the Harps Derry game?

dcfcsteve
16/08/2007, 5:02 PM
Waterford - Sligo should be shown as this is the game that has been advertised. Showing a different game would be silly and lead to widespread confusion.

The point being made is that they made the wrong choice to begin with.

The vast majority of people who care about who wins the Harps-Derry game will be at the ground - why do fans of the two teams care about it being on TV if they won't be watching on TG4:confused:

Is that not true of every game though ? :confused: You could argue that the closeness of Ballybofey to Derry suggests that most of those who want to go will go - but our ticket allocation is sold out, so we will have disappointed fans. Meanwhile - any Sligo fan who is interested sufficiently in this game to go to it will doubtless ahve no problems getting a ticket. In fact - the total attendance for the Waterford-Sligo game may struggle to top the number of away fans City are bringing to Finn Park alone (2,000+).

So on a head-to-head analysis, I'd say there'd be a more interested TV audience for Harps-Derry than Waterford-Sligo. Not to mention bigger crowd, better atmosphere etc etc.

dcfcsteve
16/08/2007, 5:03 PM

Ask a bookie.... :D

As with any game of football, a 0-0 draw is possible. I can't see it happening myself though....

Would be great to get them back to Brandywell for a gate-busting replay though !

sligoman
16/08/2007, 5:47 PM
All yer whinging here isn't going to change things. Close the thread:D.

Jerry The Saint
16/08/2007, 5:50 PM
The point being made is that they made the wrong choice to begin with.

All yer whinging here isn't going to change things. Close the thread:D.

FACT :D:D

EireBadBoy
16/08/2007, 6:22 PM

What odds on the TV game being the same?

sligoman
16/08/2007, 6:24 PM
What odds on the TV game being the same?13-2 with Paddy Power;).

EireBadBoy
16/08/2007, 6:37 PM
13-2 with Paddy Power;).

You're as good - no matter what the rest of them say about ye.

sligoman
16/08/2007, 6:42 PM
You're as good - no matter what the rest of them say about ye.:confused:

harpstilidie
16/08/2007, 8:50 PM
Got to be harps-derry! Packed house with loads of fans singing their hearts out, the colour, and for it just being the game that it is!

DmanDmythDledge
17/08/2007, 5:16 PM
I think it might be worth pointing out that the Harps vs Derry game may not have been shown because it is on Saturday, not Friday.

garyderry
17/08/2007, 5:29 PM
I think it might be worth pointing out that the Harps vs Derry game may not have been shown because it is on Saturday, not Friday.

It was only moved to Saturday night after it was announced it wouldnt be shown live, and Finn Harps stated this when moving it to saturday.

So no its not worth pointing out :confused:

corkharps
17/08/2007, 10:56 PM
After watching a nearly empty, DULL RSC tonight, can there be any question?
Finn Park might be a kip, but Jebus it'll be rockin' tomorrow night!:confused:

carrickharp
18/08/2007, 2:28 AM
After watching a nearly empty, DULL RSC tonight, can there be any question?
Finn Park might be a kip, but Jebus it'll be rockin' tomorrow night!:confused:

And that's a fact!!