PDA

View Full Version : Strikers

Super Blues
07/04/2003, 2:13 PM
Hi im new to the forum and look forward to good debate with ye.

I think Limerick seriously need a goal scorer up front.
Is there any players in the Junior league who would play for us?

I remember a guy called karl meehan (Caherdavin i think) couple of years back. wheres he now.

lims fan
07/04/2003, 2:34 PM
and welcome to the message board. You have already spoken more sense and truth than half this board have done in a year.
We are crippled by Foley up front. He is a ball breaker and a disaster for the team. Even Karl Moulden would be an improvement not to mind karl meehan!

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 3:00 PM
Foley hasn't played up front in months and the fans of Cobh, Cork, Galway and now Athlone have all marked him out as one of our best... I don't agree with that but he's nowhere near as bad as you think either! Saying that we do need a striker badly, there's a rumour going around linking us to a proven goal-scorer at the moment but as I've been sworn to secrecy I can't give a name yet... Fingers crossed ;)

And welcome aboard Super Blues! :D

LFC in Exile
07/04/2003, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
the fans of Cobh, Cork, Galway and now Athlone have all marked him out as one of our best

That's because they want us to keep playing him. :)

Welcome Super Blues. There's a good forum going here now - and the season is only days away!

We are lacking up front and no doubt about it. O'Flynn is a really good striker - one oft he top five in the division. He needs help. The problem is he has to drop back to get his own ball , so that then there is nobody attacking the goal when we do get crosses in. Hopefully this will change with Heffernan getting more joy for us on the wing than O'Donoghue could get.

Speaking of O'Donoghue - I wonder will we see him improve this season. He had a really good season the seaon before last and did okay at the start of the last campaign. Maybe with a new manager and a bit of competition? He has the ability - it's the application he's lacking.

One thing that I hope will change is this determination by Blues strikers to try and walk the ball into the net. Hopefully they will be given confidence to have a go.

This season can't start soon enough.

lims fan
07/04/2003, 4:34 PM
foley is a loser - he is nothing. Not picking on the guy as he is breaks his nuts 4 the team but he is complete ****.
Which striker is being sought? A proven goalscorer - I reckon its James Mulligan anyway.
BTW - KEELY revealed that Kildare C have 3,500 per week to pay on wages as well and they have so many more quality players than us - just shows what a **** up o'connor was

Nempton
07/04/2003, 5:57 PM
Derek McCarthy played for the last 30-35 minutes for Limerick against Athlone yesterday and came through ok. Apparently the team were very impressive. But Mike Kerley is suppose to be sorting out papers etc. for Derek to sign within the next few days.

I heard also that Kerley had been taking training sessions with the squad before Noel left and that the players were enjoying it. So I think they are quite happy with Kerley taking over from Noel and who knows he might be able to get some of the current squad performing better than what they have done in the past. I see from another thread that Mannering was playing for Athlone obviously they didn't heed our advice and not sign him (does this comment mean I'm going to get sued ;)).

SLK, I'm going to Sligo, you just got to let me know whats happening about getting there :D

I've read over the criteria for the FAI club licencing. From what I read the club would have got their manual maybe a few weeks ago the earliest. Its no wonder that there wasn't a fans forum because they wouldn't have had a clue about it. We should ask again for this forum especially since now we know they have their manual. The criteria is very detailed and the committee will have to put lot of effort and thought into this. They have to submit their application by the end of November, an extended deadline being December and the licence's issued the following February. So effectively they have a minimum of 8 months to get things sorted. I think the supporters should get organised so maybe at Sligo we can get the ball rolling...

gael353
07/04/2003, 7:46 PM
id like us to sign a hold up the ball big striker like the guy at st micks Tobin no not the left ful but the big lad up front.

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 9:32 AM
So Lims Fan, Derek McCarthy... are you happy? :)

BlueisBeautiful
08/04/2003, 12:06 PM
..... but it makes me a happy man!

JohnD
08/04/2003, 3:11 PM
Yes..!!!!! He's(mc Carthy) back. Now we are getting somewhere. Wont be able to get to Sligo but cant wait for Home game next week.

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by lims fan
.BTW - KEELY revealed that Kildare C have 3,500 per week to pay on wages as well and they have so many more quality players than us

That's not true (about the wage figure not the player quality which is sadly probably true). They've got a bigger squad than we do but they've got much more money than that. I know they say they've only got €3500 a week but I don't believe that for a second.