PDA

View Full Version : What to expect for 1st game

pete
07/04/2003, 11:51 AM
As an exile i've not seen city since last season so no idea who likely to be in Dolans 1st XI or now city likely to play.

Anyone what to suggest a starting lineout for saturday & any changes to the way city play?

James
07/04/2003, 12:34 PM
predicted team for pats

------------------------devine-------------------------
hoggie---------bennett----------murray-----------gaz
carey---------o'grady----------greg-----------woods
-------------o'flynn---------doyler --------------------

so far they/ve been trying to play football, v v v sandy pitch in cobh didnt help
as george is suspended for pats game methinks carey will slot in on right-wing for the match.

niamh
07/04/2003, 1:39 PM
Don't like the way Bennett was missing yesterday and IMO he isn't a centre-half. It was proved last season. Reckon from his performance yesterday, Decy will start against Pats.

SÓC
07/04/2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by James
predicted team for pats

so far they/ve been trying to play football, v v v sandy pitch in cobh didnt help
as george is suspended for pats game methinks carey will slot in on right-wing for the match.

I'd agree with that team but instead of having Carey on the right wing I'd have Warren, he didnt feature yesterday tho'.

city4ever
07/04/2003, 1:53 PM
DEVINE
HOGGIE MURRAY DECKY GAZ
CAREY GREG O'GRADY WOODS
O'FLYNN DOYLE

More than likely buckley will replace grady at half time or shortly after. buckley played most of second half yesterday and was very impressive!

pete
07/04/2003, 2:53 PM
Not exactely encouraging that Deccie predicted to start.

IMO Carey is & unfortunately will never be a good midfielder. I hope i'm proved wrong though.

SÓC
07/04/2003, 3:07 PM
Deccie was IMO the best city player on the pitch against Ramblers, got stuck in passed the ball even and made some great tackles.

When we played 5-3-2 with Carey and hoggie as wing backs for a while a few years ago I thought Carey played some of his best games. When he gets his crosses right there are amazing, he just needs to be more consistant.

pete
07/04/2003, 4:57 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
When he gets his crosses right there are amazing, he just needs to be more consistant.

Yeah but hes average cross has gotten really bad in recent seasons. Last year you'd be lucky to see one cross that stayed in play per game.

I actually think Colin O'Brien should never had been converted to midfield either.

Colm
07/04/2003, 5:00 PM
This is the team id hope for:
Mooney
Hoggy Dan Napier Gaz
Warren Greg Benno Woods
Flynny Kev

And this is what I think the team WILL be:
Devine
Hoggy Dan Deccie Gaz
Carey Greg Benno Woods
Flynny Kev

patsh
07/04/2003, 7:12 PM
Interesting that you would put Mooney in ahead of Devine, Colm.
Did Mooney play particularly well yesterday, or is Mickey still not ready?

SÓC
07/04/2003, 7:16 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Must say I thought Mooney had a poor game but it is very difficult to judge a game played on a pitch like that.

Colm
07/04/2003, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

I've just always prefered Mooney for a number of reasons. Although, after seeing him have such a poor game yesterday I'd have to think long and hard before putting him in the team. He's probably just lacking first team football, I'd say if he got a few competitive games under his belt he'd be grand.

liamon
09/04/2003, 10:58 AM
Mooney was poor against Queenstown, but could start if Devine is still injured.

Aside from that, the team against Cobh really lacked creativity and we were lucky to get the result.

I wouldn't expect flowing football against Pats.

NorthoftheLee
09/04/2003, 12:13 PM
QUOTE]I wouldn't expect flowing football against Pats.[/QUOTE]

ya i'd have to agree there..dont think it'll be a great game football wise....its nearly a cup game the was its being billed....load of pressure on the both sets of players...

SEI
09/04/2003, 1:54 PM
i was you lot i wouldn't be expecting free flowing football ever again with PD in charge

Danny
09/04/2003, 2:00 PM
the only thing that'll be flowing is the bullsh!t coming out of Dolans mouth.

i really feel sorry for u ******s, took us dubs about 4 years to know what he was up to, gonna take you lot about a decade.......

Red ARMY ! New ERA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pete
09/04/2003, 3:56 PM
Game on saturday will surely be of the cup game 100 mph variety.

Dolan is sure to have city fired up with maybe some Pats players equally fired up to show Dolan up.

Anyone know what the state of the pitch at the cross is like...?

conorsaint
09/04/2003, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by pete
As an exile i've not seen city since last season so no idea who likely to be in Dolans 1st XI or now city likely to play.

Anyone what to suggest a starting lineout for saturday & any changes to the way city play?

your football that youll play will be unpredictable, if you have someone up front very pacy (for us ger last season)(doyler) then Dolan will want yous to play it over the top,if you do go 1nill up then 10 players will be behind the ball at all times,when defending corners only on player will be left up and so there will be noone there to pick up the cleared corner whick will lead to the opposition to start another attack,and you will then be defending for most of the game, also alot of off-sides given against you.

I think thats it, Lads there was no sarcasm involved there its just what i was used to watching for all of last season, try to notice this and then you will finally see why he aint a manager,

probably see most of you in the horseshoe. good luck

Neil
09/04/2003, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by conorsaint
Lads there was no sarcasm involved there its just what i was used to watching for all of last season, try to notice this and then you will finally see why he aint a manager,

No disrespect but the way most City fans see it is that the difference between Pats last year and City this year is that City have a squad full of good players. Pats probably had their worst group of players in a long time last year, correct? Maybe that is why you were watching bad football?

pete
09/04/2003, 6:34 PM
I've seen Pats plenty of times under Dolan & know what to expect there. Was just curious what peoples impression of how hes altered city so far...

Seems true though that Dolan has always used the pacey forward to hit the ball over the top for - used to particular effect with Molloy.
Don't think Dolan always relied on set pieces - seems that just emerged in recent seasons. Besides feck all dead ball "experts" at city now.

conorsaint
09/04/2003, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by Neil
No disrespect but the way most City fans see it is that the difference between Pats last year and City this year is that City have a squad full of good players. Pats probably had their worst group of players in a long time last year, correct? Maybe that is why you were watching bad football?

his line ups where ****, people playing out of position all the time, E.G liam kelly R-M when he plays up front, the most taleted player in the league and plays international for Uganda- very rarely even played him even though he is a legend.

just wait and see what PD will do with his tactics and then believe me.

as for the squad last year, it was the same one that won the league the season before, well won on the pitch should i say, so what now is there blame it on.

Shed End John
10/04/2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by James
predicted team for pats

IMO, that will be the team. Bennett HAS to slot in at centre back, simply because his distribution is too crap in midfield. Also, IMO, Carey will make way once George has served his suspension. Goddamn carry-overs of yellow cards etc are a f***ing DISGRACE.