PDA

View Full Version : Duff's new Role

colster
07/04/2003, 9:48 AM
I've read in some Sunday papers thar Kerr is considering using Duff in a new role just behind the front 2 with a freedom to roam.

Apparently he has recognised the fact that Ireland lack a degree of creativity in the middle of the park.

So the future shape of the team may be a 4 3 1 2 formation or a diamond in midfield.

I was wondering what people would feel about this new role.

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 10:04 AM
It'd be worth trying against Norway anyway. It can be unsettling for centre-halves when they're trying to mark two people and a third comes through the middle.

colster
07/04/2003, 11:10 AM
The only problem I can see with it is that the play would become too congested down the middle and we wouldn't get enough width.

There would be a lot of responsibilty on the full backs to get forward and the 2 strikers to make runs to the wings.

Having said that Carr, Finnan,Hart, Kelly are very good at going forward but if we play without wide men they would lack protection that Kilbane et al usually give the fullbacks.

Anyway it would be worth a try against Norway.

bitored
07/04/2003, 2:17 PM
I think it's definetely worth a shot. Duff seems to enjoy the "roaming" role and he's equally good on both wings.
Maybe he's thinking a 4-4-1-1 formation or 4-5-1 particularly away from home?

John83
07/04/2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by bitored
I think it's definetely worth a shot. Duff seems to enjoy the "roaming" role and he's equally good on both wings.
Maybe he's thinking a 4-4-1-1 formation or 4-5-1 particularly away from home?

No! No! No!

If we play 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1, Duff will paly behind Keane, which would be a disaster (well, a really small one ;)). If Kerr's going to use Duffer in the middle, it has to be behind two strikers, preferably Keane and Clinton M.

Peadar
07/04/2003, 8:35 PM
Originally posted by colster
Having said that Carr, Finnan,Hart, Kelly are very good at going forward .

Harte is only ever going to be cover for O'Shea now.

Onto the real issue.
With Duff in a free role behind the strikers he will almost always go either left or right and not down the middle as most people are assuming. That being the case there would be no need for the wide player on that side to go forward with him.
One of the mid-field players can drop back just in front of the defence allowing for more cover at the back.
He doesn't have to play an entire game in that role and can play up front or on the left depending on the requirments at a given point in the game. We were so weak in the World Cup because we couldn't dictate the pace of a game and couldn't turn a game by means of tactics.

NorthoftheLee
08/04/2003, 12:29 PM
id personnally prefer to see duff on the left wing with reid onthe right....keane and morrison up front and kilbane on the bench.

you can have finan and carr as the full backs.....attacking formation at home is a must if we are to qualify......

dambuster
08/04/2003, 4:43 PM
I agree with NorthoftheLee. If everyone was fit i reckon the best irish team is:

Given

Carr O'Shea Cunningham Finnan

Reid Healy Kinsella Duff

Keane Morrisson

That Mattie Holland is dirt, does nothing for the team.

Real ale Madrid
08/04/2003, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by dambuster
I agree with NorthoftheLee. If everyone was fit i reckon the best irish team is:

Given

Carr O'Shea Cunningham Finnan

Reid Healy Kinsella Duff

Keane Morrisson

That Mattie Holland is dirt, does nothing for the team.

Why have people jumped down Matt Holland's throat lately? It seems to be flavor of the month with some people. Nobody was critical of him until the Albania game. Calling him dirt all of a sudden seems a bit strange. He was fantastic in the World cup. We all know we need more creativity in the midfield but Holland is a fine player who just had a bad game.

Peadar
08/04/2003, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Holland is a fine player

Damn right he's a fine player and if fit, should start without question in my mind. If anything he's the best central mid-field player in our squad at the moment.
Colin Healy has almost no experience.

sadloserkid
09/04/2003, 8:16 AM
I would also choose Holland over Healy any day of the week.

Badweather Fan
09/04/2003, 11:22 AM
Leave Duff out left.
Sure he'll pop up on the other side anyway a la Figo and Zizou.
Being ignorant, i don't think its even worth trying out.

bitored
09/04/2003, 3:55 PM
Sure he'll pop up on the other side anyway a la Figo and Zizou. I'm a big admirer of Duffer's but I hope you're not trying to compare him to Figo or Zidane. On the basis of last night's evidence alone, he's got a long way to go before he's up there with those boys.
Hopefully Duff will get this much rumoured transfer in the summer and we might get to see him in the champions league next year.

sadloserkid
09/04/2003, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by bitored
Hopefully Duff will get this much rumoured transfer in the summer and we might get to see him in the champions league next year.

Damien Duff to Bohs eh????

:D :D :D :D