PDA

View Full Version : Championship Manager General Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 10:20 AM
Time for a general Championship Manager thread methinks. Macy has agreed to stick it. We can trade war stories and tactics and hidden gems of players and such like. I know I'm not the only person playing it on this site so come on, don't be afraid to join in! I'll even start!

I'm managing Limerick naturally and while the media have me tagged for re-election, the fans (no doubt led by Lims fan) are demanding a mid-table position at least. So you can imagine my worry when my pre-season produced the following results:

a lacklustre 1-0 win against my 2nd string
a 2-1 defeat away to DCU (and they could have had 4 or 5)
a spineless 1-1 draw with Kerry!
And then worst of all a 5-4 Golden Goal reversal against my U-21s...

I could practically see the abuse being posted on the net (though curiously sadloserkid was a model of restraint who urged patience with the new boss). I'd signed Pat Scully on a free to shore up my defence, brought in Eddie Hickey to warm my bench, taken Jason Sherlock and Pat Keane on trial before deciding 'no thanks' and thrown some of my dead wood on the market (not that anybody wants any of them except for some kid with my U-18's who St.James Gate came sniffing at).

Anyway, it was First Division Cup time. Something strange happened. My team clicked. I walloped Kilkenny 3-0 at home, was unlucky to have to share a 0-0 draw at home with Athlone, threw away the lead twice to draw 2-2 with Queenstown in St.Slopeman's, ran Waterford ragged to triumph 3-0 at the RSC and then in FAI Cup Action defeated Dublin City 3-1. Now I know it's only just starting but I've brought in a classy centre-half on loan from Everton as well to shore up my defence and if I can just land a left winger I think I'll have a pretty good team. If I can get a result at home to Kildare County (the only game thus far I'm the favourite in) then it's off to the Cup Final and I'll be left approaching the league with a curious optimism. Naturally I've no money to spend so I'll be having another long look at the loan market. Having already lured one player from an English Premiership club I'll try that avenue again...

Ah, addicted again... As the great man once said it really is smack on CD!!! :D

Xlex
07/04/2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
[B]Macy has agreed to stick it.[/B

Where??

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Xlex
Where??

Right here Xlex, right here...

UCD_4_Life
07/04/2003, 6:17 PM
I just beat Bohemians Prague 10-1 in the 1st Round of the UEFA Cup!

Per-Ole Tenden scored 8. He's Norwegian and can be bought from this team called Stryn. His position is M/S C, he should have high technique and off the ball stats.

I've got large database on so if you've got one of the smaller settings then you mightn't find him. Also try and go for loan signings you'd never get in real life. I've got Richie Partridge tearing teams apart on my right wing after I got him on a seasons loan from Liverpool, I've also managed to get players from clubs like PSV, Feyenoord and Man Utd.

We're 2nd in the league behind the unbeatable Bohs (who are in the Group Phase of the Champions League!) and just ahead of Pat's.

UCD_4_Life
08/04/2003, 11:46 PM
Got to the 4th Round of the UEFA, went out on away goals to Rosenberg.

I got Javier Portillo (Real Madrid wonderkid with a better B and C team record than Raùl) and Andres D'Allesandro (River Plate wonderkid, has attracted the attention of Juventus over the last few years) on loan for the next year. Which was nice.

Also brought in 35 year old David Batty on a free in order to put a little bite into the midfield. He's been poor so far though.

sadloserkid
09/04/2003, 10:38 AM
European progress??? I'm jealous... I'm still in my first season (not getting to play it enough at all...) but to continue on from where I left off above... Kildare County arrived down to The Jacks for what was effectively a First Division Cup South Final. I needed a win while a draw would suffice for Dermot Keely's boys. Game started and I was well on top when Kildare took a lead. I swore (loudly enough for my housemate to ask was I alright). At half time I changed tactics and went gung ho. Won 2-1. Into a cup final and feeling good. Next up was Galway away in the last 16 of the cup and I firmly expected my bubble to burst . I absolutely destroyed Galway in the end though a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping meant I had to settle for a 2-0 win. Dundalk was my next port of call for the first leg of the First Division Cup Final. I started slugglishly and had Jimmy Fyffe to thank for keeping me alive at all. Jason Purcell banged one in during the second half though and I'm taking a lead back to The Jacks with me. Sweet. Unbeaten in eight competitive games so far with six wins and two draws. Not bad? Damn right! Even the moany internet fans can only be pleased with that!

Next few games shoul be interesting though, I've got Queenstown away in my first league game (tricky?), the 2nd Leg of the first division cup final to look forward to and Derry in the Cup Quarters at home. I'm smelling an upset but trying not to get too excited about it. I still have a horrible hunch that once I lose a game it'll all come crashing down like a house of cards...

Badweather Fan
09/04/2003, 12:32 PM
Gareth Connoly - Cork City. 17
Top scorer in eL, drafted into /Ireland21s after two first team appearances brought 5 goals.
Get him.

Badweather Fan
09/04/2003, 12:32 PM
Gareth Connoly - Cork City. 17
Top scorer in eL, drafted into /Ireland21s after two first team appearances brought 5 goals.
Get him.

UCD_4_Life
10/04/2003, 1:15 AM
Originally posted by SCOTTY II
Signed Mikael Forssel for City on loan and scored five in a 6-0 drubbing of Dublin City in pre season, top of league now with Cristianlval,Petrov and forrsell on loan, bit too easy game, many bugs too..like no euro sign...uggghhhhhh

lost cup final to bohs 1-0, *******s

And no Doyle:(

Get the enhancement pack (www.sigames.com), that'll sort out some bugs and give you your euro sign.

sadloserkid
10/04/2003, 9:11 AM
I've installed the game on two pooters now. On one of them there's a € sign and on the other there isn't? :confused: Lost my first game (and the first division cup final) at home to Dundalk yesterday but bounced back to knock Derry out of the Cup quarter-finals by 2-0 in a great game. I'm getting more into the match engine feature now as well, wasn't sure about it to start.

Badweather Fan
10/04/2003, 11:24 PM
How are ye managing to get these superstars like?
Aren't yer wages limited?

pineapple stu
13/04/2003, 5:41 PM
Originally posted by Badweather Fan
How are ye managing to get these superstars like?
Aren't yer wages limited?

If you offer them a big signing on fee, they can come. I got Patrick Mboma for UCD on IR£350 (that's how to get over the euro symbol!:D ) a week, with a signing on fee of £250,000. He was my top scorer too. Got relegated though...

Have since recovered to knock Celtic out of the Champions' League on away goals after going 2-0 up in Celtic Park (ended up 2-2). Champions' League group - Real Madrid, Roma and Rangers! Clive Delaney got sent off after 10 minutes in Rome and we lost 8-0. Apart from that, 1-5 in Madrid, 0-1 in Glasgow, 1-4 at home to Madrid, 0-3 at home to Roma and 2-3 at home to Rangers, where we took the lead with 5 minutes to go against 9 men only to throw it away...:mad: :mad:

gustavo
13/04/2003, 6:19 PM
lads just wondering. i have cm4 at home here but its incredibly slow . how risky would it be to install it on a college computer ?

UCD_4_Life
13/04/2003, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
lads just wondering. i have cm4 at home here but its incredibly slow . how risky would it be to install it on a college computer ?

Depends what you mean by risky.

You could delete all the shortcuts and make the folder invisible if you're worried about someone finding it on the PC.

UCD_4_Life
13/04/2003, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
If you offer them a big signing on fee, they can come. I got Patrick Mboma for UCD on IR£350 (that's how to get over the euro symbol!:D ) a week, with a signing on fee of £250,000. He was my top scorer too. Got relegated though...

Have since recovered to knock Celtic out of the Champions' League on away goals after going 2-0 up in Celtic Park (ended up 2-2). Champions' League group - Real Madrid, Roma and Rangers! Clive Delaney got sent off after 10 minutes in Rome and we lost 8-0. Apart from that, 1-5 in Madrid, 0-1 in Glasgow, 1-4 at home to Madrid, 0-3 at home to Roma and 2-3 at home to Rangers, where we took the lead with 5 minutes to go against 9 men only to throw it away...:mad: :mad:

Clive just got called into the Irish squad in my game.

They didn't cap him though.

UCD_4_Life
19/04/2003, 9:45 PM
18 games into the new season and we're 19 points clear of Cork and Rovers at the top. :D

Still unbeaten in both league and cup with the Champions League coming up in about 6 weeks time. :D

Supersonic_779
21/04/2003, 10:09 PM
does anyone wanna a game of cm4 some day online?? Id like to play against a city fan (Im city too) just for a laugh. Not the irish league, though, as we'd both want to be City! Im not bothered really. anyone want a game some time?

p.s. I mean Cork City when I say city

Réiteoir
23/04/2003, 11:28 PM
As an experiment I decided to have a crack at importing a few of the top sides from the LoI into the English Third Division.

I am 4 games into the initial season managing Bohs and this is what the Third Division table looks like:

I've imported St Pats, Bohs, Shels and Rovers into the English
Third and they are all doing pretty well, apart from Rovers!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bohemians/cm4/table.jpg (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bohemians/cm4/table.jpg)

Managed to get a few good players on low transfer fees!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bohemians/cm4/transfers.jpg

And so far the results have been good on the whole, making the First Round of the League Cup - even beat Carlisle and Shoddy Collins!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bohemians/cm4/far.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the eircom League!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bohemians/cm4/loi.jpg

If anyone wants any club logos, and background pics - including ground images for all 22 eL clubs - let me know as I have them ready to go - I'm currently working on player face packs - Bohs are already done, working through the rest of the league now.

UCD_4_Life
23/04/2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Réiteoir

If anyone wants any club logos, and background pics - including ground images for all 22 eL clubs - let me know as I have them ready to go - I'm currently working on player face packs - Bohs are already done, working through the rest of the league now.

The backgrounds, if you would.

ucd_4_life@oceanfree.net

Cheers.

Réiteoir
24/04/2003, 12:01 AM
One problem!

Just zipped the files you wanted - there are 106-odd images that come to 45Mb!

I can burn em onto a CD and post it to you - failing that, I'll be in Lansdowne for the Ireland - Norway game next Wednesday, I can hand it over to you then...

UCD_4_Life
24/04/2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Réiteoir
One problem!

Just zipped the files you wanted - there are 106-odd images that come to 45Mb!

I can burn em onto a CD and post it to you - failing that, I'll be in Lansdowne for the Ireland - Norway game next Wednesday, I can hand it over to you then...

No, don't bother.

Thanks anyway though.:D

agarack
30/04/2003, 9:11 AM
If anyone wants any club logos, and background pics - including ground images for all 22 eL clubs - let me know as I have them ready to go - I'm currently working on player face packs - Bohs are already done, working through the rest of the league now. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd be grateful if you could forward me logos, skins, etc. for Cork City to sethanon@eircom.net. BTW what formation/style do you find most successful? Thanks.

agarack
01/05/2003, 9:11 AM
Originally posted by SCOTTY II
Signed Mikael Forssel for City on loan and scored five in a 6-0 drubbing of Dublin City in pre season, top of league now with Cristianlval,Petrov and forrsell on loan, bit too easy game, many bugs too..like no euro sign...uggghhhhhh

lost cup final to bohs 1-0, *******s

And no Doyle:(

Okay, I need help here. I'm playing with Cork City and also manage to get Forssel and a couple of others on loan but the most I can score in a game is 1 then my backs always let me down!!! I'm 9th in the league and couldn't win a match even if the other team didn't show up.

What tactics to you use (formation and instructions)....I'm going bald from pulling my hair out, please help!!:confused:

Ruairi
02/05/2003, 9:35 AM
I just bought it yesterday. And, in typical Ruairi fashion, 6 days before my exams start.:rolleyes:

I've only got three games played with Cork City, two league wins over Rovers and Boez and a first round cup defeat against Athlone.

Anyone worth signing who's cheap? Especially up front cause Georgie's fairly shíte

UCD_4_Life
02/05/2003, 9:13 PM
Just beat Roma 2-1 in Rome in the First leg of the Champions League Quarter Final.

I'm also on course for a hat-trick of titles after breaking Bohs' dominance over the league. Nearly every team that doesn't get into Europe on a regular basis is in recievership and Ireland now gets a seeded 3rd Round place in the CL with 3 UEFA spots and an Inter Toto place thanks to good work from us and Bohs.

It'll probably be even higher now that we're in the Quarter Final with a good chance of the Semis. Recent signings include Doriva, Malcolm Christie, Gary Rogers and Alexander Farnerud.

Meanwhile Ireland are second in the Euro 2008 group behind Germany and in the last match Robbie Martin came on and scored against the Faroe Islands!

Just make some of you jealous I've got £6.5m in the bank with a transfer budget of £3m.:D

gustavo
02/05/2003, 10:18 PM
extremely jealous!
i could never do well in ireland even when i cheated!
what tactics do u use?
i generally use 4 3 2 1 with attacking hard tackling pressing on an d counter attacking on

also reiteoir how did u do that import thing?

UCD_4_Life
02/05/2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
extremely jealous!
i could never do well in ireland even when i cheated!
what tactics do u use?
i generally use 4 3 2 1 with attacking hard tackling pressing on an d counter attacking on

also reiteoir how did u do that import thing?

Attacking 4-4-2 with the players using the wings. Also I've got the entire midfield and frontline on pressing (I find that you win the ball a lot more this way but if you do it with defenders they'll get dragged out of position) and also my two forwards are on "Gung ho".

That's the basics, if you want I'll e-mail it to you.

Réiteoir
03/05/2003, 1:03 AM
Can you email me about the "import" thing - I'm sure I can help you out!

Shelsman
06/05/2003, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu

Judging by the last part it sounds fairly realistic!

Having that said, I've just won the First Division with Limerick!

sadloserkid
06/05/2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
I've just won the First Division with Limerick!

Me too! :D

Ruairi
06/05/2003, 6:36 PM
Has anyone downloaded em, and are the improvements really all that noticeable? They take too long to download at home so I'm gonna wait until the patches are on a coverdisc of a pc magazine

sadloserkid
07/05/2003, 9:03 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
I'm gonna wait until the patches are on a coverdisc of a pc magazine

Good idea! You might post that here too so we can all get in on the fun!

Hitman
08/05/2003, 8:38 PM
Are there many bugs in the game? I assume there'll be a new one out in the Autumn, does anyone know?

UCD_4_Life
08/05/2003, 8:56 PM
Originally posted by Hitman
Are there many bugs in the game? I assume there'll be a new one out in the Autumn, does anyone know?

You wouldn't believe how many bugs there are...

There'll probably be a new one between October and January.

sadloserkid
09/05/2003, 9:13 AM
And are we going to be allowed to exchange the ones we've already bought? Are we hell! The bugs have spoiled it a little for me. If it wasn't ready (and it wasn't) then it shouldn't have been released.

Schumi
09/05/2003, 10:45 AM
I think I'll hold on to my copy of the last version so!

Shelsman
09/05/2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
Has anyone downloaded em, and are the improvements really all that noticeable? They take too long to download at home so I'm gonna wait until the patches are on a coverdisc of a pc magazine

I downloaded the first patch and the biggest difference I noticed was that in the unpatched version players were scoring from direct free kicks in nearly every game whereas in the patched version it was only something that happened from time to time.

Hitman
13/05/2003, 12:02 PM
So is the consensus an excellent signing that could make an immediate impact, or no better than the current crop of games?

Ruairi
13/05/2003, 12:05 PM
Patch 1 is available on the DVD edition of PC Zone magazine. Probably better off to wait until patch 3 appears on a coverdisc, cause patches 1-3 will be in it

sadloserkid
13/05/2003, 2:27 PM
Originally posted by Hitman
So is the consensus an excellent signing that could make an immediate impact, or no better than the current crop of games?

slk urges you to keep an eye on CM4 as it is clearly a game that has the gaming world at it's feet. :)

If the bugs get sorted it'll be the business! Big if there though.

UCD_4_Life
13/05/2003, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
slk urges you to keep an eye on CM4 as it is clearly a game that has the gaming world at it's feet. :)

If the bugs get sorted it'll be the business! Big if there though.

There's no if about about it. It's just a matter of how long it'll take for SI Games to get their finger out and solve them all.

It's only out for 6 weeks and there have been three patches with a fourth in the works along with CM 03/04 which'll arrive at the end of the year.

pineapple stu
15/05/2003, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
I think I'll hold on to my copy of the last version so!

Sure would you not want to see if the picture of yourself, @ndy, lefty et al is in?;)

Hitman
18/05/2003, 3:30 PM
Do the downloads have to be unzipped with Winzip?

UCD_4_Life
18/05/2003, 4:02 PM
No.

Ruairi
22/05/2003, 3:51 PM
Patch 2 is on the DVD version of PC Gamer (the one with half life two on the cover)

Xlex
29/05/2003, 2:31 PM
Help!!

Just dowloaded the CM4.05 patych and I can't install it, I get an error saying CM4 doesn't appear to be installed which it is...

What folder should I install the patch to??

Ruairi
31/05/2003, 11:23 PM
What I did was I simply double clicked on the file, then CM's patch loader thing came up and that took care of the rest, so I don't know why it's saying CM isn't loaded on your PC Xlex

sadloserkid
11/06/2003, 11:20 AM
I'd recommend the newest version of Championship Manager Magazine for anybody out there. The mag itself isn't a bad read and you also get 40 odd pages from the official tactics guide and a cover disk containing the following (and more):

* CM4 Expansion Pack 3 - Corrects the bugs, updates the stats, contains two new leagues (Slovakia & Indonesia I think)
* Complete version of the original Championship Manager
* Demos for CM2 and CM3 (and CMQuiz)
* A selection of tactics and skins for CM4
* Some other stuff that I can't remember...

Ruairi
11/06/2003, 11:38 AM
Ya I got that, though CM 1 kept crashing my computer (Win xp).

SLK, did you notice with patch 3 that your players were getting injured for no apparant reason? Like getting a news item saying so and so will be out for a month with a broken foot three days after your last match? Bizzare, and ever so slightly annoying

sadloserkid
11/06/2003, 11:40 AM
Haven't gotten home to install it yet. Damn, I thought it would all be sorted now... :(