PDA

View Full Version : Drogs v Helsingborgs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

stojkovic
12/08/2007, 1:24 PM
Are we all supporting the Drogs on Thursday night.

Can't go myself, bloody Leinster Senior League meeting.

Celdrog
12/08/2007, 1:31 PM
I am anyway. :)

NeilMcD
12/08/2007, 1:48 PM
Yeah I might head along to see it.

Buller
12/08/2007, 2:02 PM
Okay, thats two definates... Any more?
:D

SPXcyan
12/08/2007, 2:03 PM
I doubt its on tv?? how about radio?? ill be definately keeping a firm interest in this game! I know a guy who supports Helsingborg and he says they will destroy drogheda.. I told him you will be surprised :P so back me up drogs :D

Celdrog
12/08/2007, 2:35 PM
I doubt its on tv?? how about radio?? ill be definately keeping a firm interest in this game! I know a guy who supports Helsingborg and he says they will destroy drogheda.. I told him you will be surprised :P so back me up drogs :D
Has he got a Scottish cousin from Gretna by any chance.
I think we will win on Thursday but not necessarily the tie. Their officials left United Park on Friday night looking a bit glum :D

iceman
12/08/2007, 3:19 PM
Reckon Drogs have every chance against Helsingborg. From what I hear they are a physically big side with only two good players , Larsson and some other dude. They have lost some key players recently and they have not been replaced , team is not "gelling" as much as Baxter would like. Their spying trip to United Park last Friday will certainly give them plenty to think about and I feel that if the Drogs can stop them from scoring at Dalymount then they have every chance of progressing.
Reckon everyone here should put their differances aside and get behind the EL's last remaining representatives in Europe , after all its out league thats on the stage and not just Drogheda United.
C'omn the Drogs!

half_full
12/08/2007, 3:37 PM
Drogs to go through:ball:

Torn-Ado
12/08/2007, 4:01 PM
I must commend a lot of you on your optimism on this one. Most Swedes I speak to are full sure that Helsingborgs are going to go through to the next round with ease. Based on what I saw of EL sides in Europe this season, I tend to agree with them.

I really hope that Drogheda beat them and go through. For the sake of the league.

eamoss
12/08/2007, 4:23 PM
Okay, thats two definates... Any more?
:D

Looks like its gonna be a very poor turn out :D

I'll can ask a few of my mates to go but doubt they will :D

Schumi
12/08/2007, 5:22 PM
I'll can ask a few of my mates to go but doubt they will :DThey might be otherwise occupied on Thursday, I'd say!

micls
12/08/2007, 9:33 PM
I must commend a lot of you on your optimism on this one. Most Swedes I speak to are full sure that Helsingborgs are going to go through to the next round with ease.
They were also full sure Malmo would beat us in 2004, even more sure Djurgarden would beat us in 2005, and absolutely certain Gothenburg would beat Derry last year.....

Based on what I saw of EL sides in Europe this season, I tend to agree with them.

Havn't seen Helsingborg myself so dunno. Drogs will have to improve bigtime on the last tie but Ive no doubt they can, and if they do are well capable of progressing

dcfcsteve
12/08/2007, 11:03 PM
I must commend a lot of you on your optimism on this one. Most Swedes I speak to are full sure that Helsingborgs are going to go through to the next round with ease. Based on what I saw of EL sides in Europe this season, I tend to agree with them.

For the record Torn-Ado - how many of those Swedes you speak to thought that Gothenborg would lose twice to City last year.....?

SPXcyan
13/08/2007, 12:12 AM
Has he got a Scottish cousin from Gretna by any chance.

I've no idea.. he never mentioned anything about scottish people :eek:

Celdrog
13/08/2007, 5:39 AM
I've no idea.. he never mentioned anything about scottish people :eek:
Gretna 1 - 5 Derry. The Gretna fans were certain it would be a cake walk.
Edit - correct score, just having vague flashbacks to Kristiansand that night

Burny89
13/08/2007, 5:52 AM
aaaahmm.........Gretna 1 Derry 5 ;)

Drogman.
13/08/2007, 8:51 AM
Think of the co-efficients people!!!! :rolleyes:

Titan
13/08/2007, 10:47 AM
Whats the betting therell be irish muppets in Celtic shirts supporting Helsingborgs :rolleyes:

Torn-Ado
13/08/2007, 11:03 AM
For the record Torn-Ado - how many of those Swedes you speak to thought that Gothenborg would lose twice to City last year.....?

A few of the arrogant Swedes were confident last year against Derry but many of the more sensible ones were extremely wary and worried. They knew after all that Cork knocked out Malmo and Djurgarden the previous two years and Swedish sides were being knocked by by Welsh and Bosnian teams.

This year the Swedish clubs are doing a lot better. All their teams made it through to the next round. Their champions are up against Valencia in the third round of the CL, Helsingborgs shatt on the Estonians 9-0 and their second tier team Häcken made it through too.

They've looked at Drogheda and the other EL sides in Europe this season who have performed badly and they are confident. This season Swedish club football is on the up in Europe whereas Irish football has sunk.

Like I said, I hope Drogheda do get through but I'm not confident that they will.

dcfcsteve
13/08/2007, 11:11 AM
A few of the arrogant Swedes were confident last year against Derry but many of the more sensible ones were extremely wary and worried. They knew after all that Cork knocked out Malmo and Djurgarden the previous two years and Swedish sides were being knocked by by Welsh and Bosnian teams.

I find the above very difficult to believe Torn-Ado. Everyone I encountered in Sweden before the game gave us no chance at all. The Swedish press gave us no chance. Swedish TV didn't even bother to send along any cameras, it was considered such a done deal. The IFK team thouhgt they were home and hosed. Most IFK fans didn't bother going to the game, they were so confident they'd get through. All-in-all - the over-riding sentiment in Sweden was that IFK would win.

To say that Swedes were "extremely worried" about the Derry game is a tad post-rationalised I suspect....

ifk101
13/08/2007, 11:17 AM

This year the Swedish clubs are doing a lot better. All their teams made it through to the next round. Their champions are up against Valencia in the third round of the CL, Helsingborgs shatt on the Estonians 9-0 and their second tier team Häcken made it through too.

They've looked at Drogheda and the other EL sides in Europe this season who have performed badly and they are confident. This season Swedish club football is on the up in Europe whereas Irish football has sunk.

Like I said, I hope Drogheda do get through but I'm not confident that they will.

They're doing a lot better but the various clubs haven't beaten anyone of note yet. Häcken were very lucky to beat their Icelandic opponents in the first round (they scored a very late goal to go through) and with the exception of the Estonian team, all the other teams Swedish clubs have played have been in their off-season.

Helsingborg are slight favourites in my eyes but I don't think there is much between them and Drogheda. And contrary to your suggestion, I don't think the general Swedish football public have a clue about LOI football. And from reading Helsingborg quotes from Stuart Baxter and Henrik Larsson, I don't think Helsingborg know that much either.

Torn-Ado
13/08/2007, 11:31 AM
I find the above very difficult to believe Torn-Ado. Everyone I encountered in Sweden before the game gave us no chance at all. The Swedish press gave us no chance. Swedish TV didn't even bother to send along any cameras, it was considered such a done deal. The IFK team thouhgt they were home and hosed. Most IFK fans didn't bother going to the game, they were so confident they'd get through. All-in-all - the over-riding sentiment in Sweden was that IFK would win.

To say that Swedes were "extremely worried" about the Derry game is a tad post-rationalised I suspect....

The Swedish press never bother with cameras for the first round games. The comments from Alexandersson were stupid and shoved down his arrogant mouth with great satisfaction. And the local Swedish paper Göteborgs Posten said before the game that it was going to be extremely tough but expected a win.

But any person over here who has a knowledge of football and tends to talk sense were well wary of the Derry game. Like I said, Cork knocked out two Swedish teams the two years previous. They knew this and they also knew that their league was performing relatively poorly in Europe so they weren't booking their tickets for the next round there and then.

No right minded football person would have given Derry no chance if they follow Swedish football in Europe. Thats like Irish sides not giving the Armenian sides a hope in hell if they meet next year.

pateen
13/08/2007, 11:45 AM
Can you all email rte and so to encourage them to show it.
Known rte I'm sure the premiership is all their really interested in
I for one would love to see the game but cant make it.

Also should get 6 - 7000 for the game which would do a lot for the game and Drogs as a club instead of showing 800 in a sligo vs longford game.

Email address I already wrote to are:
premiership@rte.ie
sundaysport@rte.ie
radiosport@rte.ie
obsport@rte.ie

MeathDrog
13/08/2007, 9:26 PM
Cant wait for the game.I just hope Doolin doesnt play his usual,boring tactics

pete
13/08/2007, 11:33 PM
Think of the co-efficients people!!!! :rolleyes:

You weren't saying that after the first leg in San Marino. :D :eek:

MeathDrog
14/08/2007, 12:39 AM
They played ****e that day too.

Snoop Drog
14/08/2007, 6:07 AM
jeez MeathDrog- You've only had 8 posts but already you told us you dislike:

1. The RDS
2. Doolin's tactics (twice)
3. Sunderland
4. Some of The Drogs recent performances

Would I be right in saying your more of a "glass half empty" type of guy?

Drogman.
14/08/2007, 8:21 AM
You weren't saying that after the first leg in San Marino. :D :eek:

Am I not allowed to change my opinion ;)

pete
14/08/2007, 12:05 PM
Am I not allowed to change my opinion ;)

Only if you are a woman. :p

Drogman.
14/08/2007, 12:11 PM
Only if you are a woman. :p

Or a L@nger :D

derrymac
14/08/2007, 12:20 PM
Good luck with emailing RTE but their response last year was that they only show the Champions League so I doubt if that will change this year.

mandrake
14/08/2007, 12:23 PM
wonder would it change if an el team drew spurs/everton/munich etc.

Torn-Ado
14/08/2007, 1:08 PM
Get through to next round lads and ye are sorted Telly wise.

DmanDmythDledge
14/08/2007, 4:37 PM
wonder would it change if an el team drew spurs/everton/munich etc.
They only UEFA matches that they have shown in recent years were Derry vs PSG and Shels vs Lille iirc.

MeathDrog
14/08/2007, 4:38 PM
jeez MeathDrog- You've only had 8 posts but already you told us you dislike:

1. The RDS
2. Doolin's tactics (twice)
3. Sunderland
4. Some of The Drogs recent performances

Would I be right in saying your more of a "glass half empty" type of guy?
1. I just think it's an old stadium that needs renovating.Nothing to do with being pessimistic
2. Im sorry but I just don't like him.He is a very negative manager who makes his team take a 1 or 2 nil lead and then take to foot off the gas for the next hour or so. i.e Sligo at home and Waterford at home.Sometimes we wouldnt be able to even take the lead i.e Shamrock Rovers and Bohs in the cup.He did not have a clue on how to change a game after we went behind.Its brilliant that we are winning all the time now but I wish we would do it in style instead of playing like Chelsea.Hopefully we will play attacking football against Helsingborg.
3. I support Newcastle :)
4. Not really.I thought San Marino away was poor.

Dazzy
14/08/2007, 8:54 PM
They only UEFA matches that they have shown in recent years were Derry vs PSG and Shels vs Lille iirc.

BBC done the Paris games.

dcfcsteve
14/08/2007, 11:18 PM
BBC done the Paris games.

And Shels vs Lille was only after they'd been knocked out of the CL, with all the hype of that Deportivo game.....

onephillyhughes
15/08/2007, 10:13 AM
Doolin has said he will go attacking tomorrow night. That would be feckin odd :D

Drogs, you think you can do them? 1-0 win maybe?

Drogman.
15/08/2007, 10:36 AM
Doolin has said he will go attacking tomorrow night. That would be feckin odd :D

I think we can win. It won't be by much though, but a 1-0 is a strong possibility.

Also with Robbo at 12-1 to score first, there is defo money to be made!

onephillyhughes
15/08/2007, 10:37 AM
What price on you winning 1-0? Worth a few bob I reckon

holidaysong
15/08/2007, 10:46 AM
What price on you winning 1-0? Worth a few bob I reckon

6/1 with Paddy Power.

pete
15/08/2007, 11:45 AM

Also:
* Cork City v Djungardens (i think this was the only Uefa qualifying round game to be shown)
* Cork City v Slavia Prague

RTE are more likely to show games which eL teams have a good chance in 2nd leg & will get bigger crowd in the ground as looks better on tv.

NY Hoop
15/08/2007, 12:29 PM
Also:
* Cork City v Djungardens (i think this was the only Uefa qualifying round game to be shown)

RTE are more likely to show games which eL teams have a good chance in 2nd leg & will get bigger crowd in the ground as looks better on tv.

So why not show this one? There will be a good crowd.

IMO a disgrace too that Dundalk are allowed to play a FAI Cup game the same night as an Irish side is playing at "home" in Europe.

KOH

dcfcsteve
15/08/2007, 12:31 PM
Also:

To be honest, I think the over-riding consideration for RTE in whether or not they show an early round UEFA game is whether or not the other team's host media will pay for it ! If RTE are getting paid to provide live coverage of a game for another channel - or if another channel is already providing that coverage themselves - then they'll be tempted to carry it as well, as it's cheap content and a nice scheudle filler.

SolitudeRed
15/08/2007, 12:34 PM
I see Helsingborgs have Daniel Andersson as their keeper he played for Hibs a few seasons ago remember him being a pretty good keeper, particularly memorable for winning us a penalty shoot-out against Rangers in the league cup semi final!

does United park have a UEFA license or is the match is going to have to be played elsewhere?

micls
15/08/2007, 12:37 PM
does United park have a UEFA license or is the match is going to have to be played elsewhere?

No. Its in Dalymount

onephillyhughes
15/08/2007, 12:41 PM
So why not show this one? There will be a good crowd.

IMO a disgrace too that Dundalk are allowed to play a FAI Cup game the same night as an Irish side is playing at "home" in Europe.

KOH

Give over ffs. What, we drop everything and go to the game?

NY Hoop
15/08/2007, 12:53 PM
Give over ffs. What, we drop everything and go to the game?

Dont care what you drop but no way should games be played on a thursday night especially when an Irish side are playing the same night..

KOH

onephillyhughes
15/08/2007, 12:58 PM
Dont care what you drop but no way should games be played on a thursday night especially when an Irish side are playing the same night..

:rolleyes:

ndrog
15/08/2007, 1:01 PM

how would you know ? see much off us do ya ? what was the score the last time we played you ? or any of ther last few times actually ;)