PDA

View Full Version : Bohemians 1-1 Skonto Riga

A face
06/04/2003, 3:02 PM
Bohs’ earn draw with Skonto

Bohemians 1-1 Skonto Riga
A Colin Hawkins goal earned Bohemians a share of the spoils against fellow Champions League qualifiers, Skonto Riga of Latvia.

It was an entertaining game played before a good crowd at sunny Dalymount Park. Neither side created any early chances as they tested each other out. On the half hour Mark Rutherford connected with a Bobby Ryan cross but the Skonto ‘keeper touched it over for a corner.

Three minutes later Bohs nearly lost their ‘keeper, Seamus Kelly, after he injured himself making a fine double save from Jelisevejs who was clean through, but the former UCD and Pat’s goalie managed to continue on.

In the second period Bohs’ continued to press but were caught out on 62 minutes when Lagiewka got free in the box to power home a corner kick. The equaliser came three minutes later after
Hawkins met a Rutherford cross to hit the net, much to the joy of the home support.

Matt Gregg was then introduced to make his debut for the Gypsies who could have won it with late chances, which were spurned, by Hunt and Rutherford.

Bohemians – Kelly (Gregg), Lynch (Caffrey), Webb (Turner), Coughlin, Hawkins (Oman), Hunt, Ryan, Harkin (W Doyle), Keegan, R Doyle (Lester), Rutherford (Morrison).

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=4850)

Schumi
07/04/2003, 1:15 PM
Not a bad game. There were about 100 Skonto fans over on the opposite side of the ground to the Jodi, noisy ba$tards they were too!

Shelsman
07/04/2003, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Not a bad game. There were about 100 Skonto fans over on the opposite side of the ground to the Jodi, noisy ba$tards they were too!

Just as well they weren't playing UCD otherwise they could be forgiven for thinking they were the home team! :D

eoinh
07/04/2003, 2:00 PM
i was up in dublin and went to the match. i wasnt too impressed by Bohs ( i know it was only a friendly to be fair). i though that had a lot of weak points. Bobby Ryan was class though, easily the best man on the pitch. Coughlan and Hawkins were good too. besides that they werent great, actually worse than i thoght they would be. i think now it will be a lot closer than last season.

city will be up there :)

pete
07/04/2003, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by Schumi

Heard last week Bohs had done a marketing campaign targetted at some of the Meat Processing plants around the dublin area as apparently a good few latvians working in them these days.