PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup Final at RDS?

Pages : [1] 2

paudie
11/08/2007, 9:59 AM
I read in this months World Soccer that the Cup final this year is to be in the RDS.

Hadn't seen this anywhere else. Is it definite?

(as City's league season goes down the toilet I admit to clutching at the straw of a decent Cup run for comfort:o)

onceahoop
11/08/2007, 10:20 AM
It's been renovated and Leinster Rugby are supposed to be moving in this year. Probably something to it.

dcfcsteve
11/08/2007, 11:06 AM
Tolka's too small and is a sh!t venue.

RDS would be nice, if only as a change of scenery...

half_full
11/08/2007, 11:25 AM
Leinster will hardly have the stands built in time.

Not having a go Steve, but if your calling Tolka a **** hole, have you ever been in the RDS? Main Stand is awful and theirs little else around the other sides.

I'd like to see it in Tolka or Dalymount.

Dave77
11/08/2007, 12:15 PM
would agree with half full, RDS is a kip and the pitch is not suitable for football, not even that suitable for rugby (unless a lot of work has been done on it recently).

Dalymount I think would be the best option.

pineapple stu
11/08/2007, 12:29 PM
Definitely in the RDS, as far as I know.

Thought this had been announced, actually?

sligoman
11/08/2007, 12:32 PM
How much can RDS hold?

pineapple stu
11/08/2007, 12:34 PM
28000 back in the day.

13000 for Leinster games I think?

kdjaC
11/08/2007, 1:35 PM
Meant to be ready by sept, lad off rovers board runs it. Bet all seats are green and white when its done :p

kdjac

Sheridan
11/08/2007, 1:44 PM
I think this was announced so long ago that everyone's forgotten.

Philly
11/08/2007, 1:55 PM
RDS will be grand for it.

milltown messer
11/08/2007, 3:31 PM
100% certain it hasn't been said officially
but
everyone i know says that's where it will be

Buller
11/08/2007, 3:50 PM
Are they building proper covered stands on the other 3 sides of the pitch in the RDS?

dcfcsteve
11/08/2007, 4:16 PM
The RDS surface lookjs dreadful on the TV now. Understandable, given horses galloping on it, but it looks uneven as well as broken up.

Shows that we really need a quality 15,000 football stadium or venue in Dublin that football can use. How big will the new Bohs stadium be ?

pineapple stu
11/08/2007, 4:20 PM
The RDS surface lookjs dreadful on the TV now. Understandable, given horses galloping on it, but it looks uneven as well as broken up.
Imagine that - a surface which has had horses running on it for the past three days looks cut up for some reason!?

I don't think there's a horse show scheduled for around the time of the Cup Final, so that's not really a concern.

Buller
11/08/2007, 4:27 PM
Shows that we really need a quality 15,000 football stadium or venue in Dublin that football can use. How big will the new Bohs stadium be ?

Harristown is a long way away. Expected to hold 10,000; about the same size tallaght stadium will be when finished...

holidaysong
11/08/2007, 4:30 PM
Not big enough for the cup final though in fairness.

John83
11/08/2007, 4:41 PM
Not big enough for the cup final though in fairness.
I don't know about that. What if we crush it in a bit? That Mooney guy seems big on circus tents. Maybe we can add one of those to the back of the stand. There's a precedent (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=38122).

gilberto_eire
11/08/2007, 7:32 PM
i think a cup-final should ALWAYS be played somewhere ''special'' i.e a place you wont have visited in league matches

kdjaC
11/08/2007, 7:56 PM
i think a cup-final should ALWAYS be played somewhere ''special'' i.e a place you wont have visited in league matches

Oriel?

:p

kdjac

half_full
11/08/2007, 8:16 PM
Tolka will be grand, proper ground, although the RDS has had a new surface layed recentley

bennocelt
11/08/2007, 8:21 PM
I remember reading years ago that when Shamrock Rovers played in the RDS the players had to have injections before every game cause of the horses and all that,
would they have to do that again?

Read that in World Soccer too!:)

half_full
11/08/2007, 8:29 PM
I know a junior club nearby who have horses grazing the pitch each summer:D

Derry fans, has there every been injections at the Brandywell?

Schumi
11/08/2007, 8:57 PM
Leinster will hardly have the stands built in time. They're playing there in late September so they'd want to!

13000 for Leinster games I think?19,000 I think.

Are they building proper covered stands on the other 3 sides of the pitch in the RDS?Covered stands on each side, uncovered at each end. http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/uploadedfiles/Squad%202006%202007/rds_rugby_2007.gif

Kildare Lad
11/08/2007, 10:23 PM
Any Pictures of the RDS?

Sam_Heggy
11/08/2007, 10:30 PM
Croker? :p

manic da hoop
11/08/2007, 10:41 PM
Tolka will be grand, proper ground, although the RDS has had a new surface layed recentley

Tolka has a license for just 6,500 people. The RDS is far from perfect, but given present circimstances it is the only venue that at least come close to meeting capacity requirements for such a fixture.

eamoss
12/08/2007, 10:55 AM
Oriel?

:p

kdjac

Oh snap :p

dublinwanderer
12/08/2007, 12:59 PM
the RDS would be perfect. it holds 18000 for the leinster rugby matches this year. it is on the dart line as well which is always nice when bray get to the final!! it has too covered seated stands each side and uncovered seated stands behind each goal.

paudie
12/08/2007, 1:02 PM
the RDS would be perfect. it holds 18000 for the leinster rugby matches this year. it is on the dart line as well which is always nice when bray get to the final!! it has too covered seated stands each side and uncovered seated stands behind each goal.

A problem is that the ends are a good bit away from the pitch. Probably no further than Lansdowne though.

half_full
12/08/2007, 3:39 PM
Tolka has a license for just 6,500 people. The RDS is far from perfect, but given present circimstances it is the only venue that at least come close to meeting capacity requirements for such a fixture.

Did i miss something?

Last year Leinster put temporary stands in at each end and the side where the camera is iirc.

Schumi
12/08/2007, 5:13 PM
A problem is that the ends are a good bit away from the pitch. They weren't far off the end of the pitch when Leinster were there last afair. There's the rugby in-goal area but not much more. They were a good bit nearer than the south terrace in Lansdowne.

Block G Raptor
12/08/2007, 5:25 PM
Just got back from the horse show and it'll take a minor miracle to get any kind of playing surface in order. I know its months away but still

sligoman
12/08/2007, 6:52 PM
Could be worse, they could have got it mixed up and picked the RSC:eek: :D

Schumi
12/08/2007, 6:59 PM
As long as it's not the RRS. :D

half_full
12/08/2007, 8:11 PM
Could be worse, they could have got it mixed up and picked the RSC:eek: :D

True, our new stand wouldn't be built in time:p

couchy9
12/08/2007, 8:21 PM
Meant to be ready by sept, lad off rovers board runs it. Bet all seats are green and white when its done :p

kdjac

Leinster wear blue........it wouldnt make sense having seats green n white
would it know............

OneRedArmy
12/08/2007, 11:09 PM
Floodlights were turned on a few months back, replacing the temporary ones Leinster had in last year. Nice job as well, 4 corner pylons, good light.

Angelsea (main stand) hasn't really been touched, renovation of it scheduled over next 18 months.

As was said above, temporary stands will be installed on the other 3 sides for the coming rugby season. View is fine from behind the goals, certainly much better than Croker for example.

Would have a worry about the surface for football, as whilst rugby can be played on a ploughed field with no problems, same obviously can't be said for football.

The new surface was sown (rather than bought in and laid) over the winter on a fresh base and had a lot of growing time and looked great before the horse show. However given how soft its been under foot I'd worry about how they'll get the bumps out. RDS honcho was keen to point out all week that its a horsey surface that will adapt to football/rugby rather than the other way around.

dcfcsteve
13/08/2007, 11:14 AM
Imagine that - a surface which has had horses running on it for the past three days looks cut up for some reason!?

Hence why I mentioned the fact there were horses on it, Captain Comedy..... :rolleyes:

My point was that it wasn't just showing signs of wear and tear from horses (i.e. cut-up), but that it seemed to have much more fundamental issues as well - e.g. noticeably uneven throughout. Even a Dub should understand that horses hooves wouldn't alter the overall undulation of a pitch.... :p

dcfcsteve
13/08/2007, 11:20 AM
I remember reading years ago that when Shamrock Rovers played in the RDS the players had to have injections before every game cause of the horses and all that,
would they have to do that again?

Ketamine....?

Heroin......?

:D

dcfcsteve
13/08/2007, 11:23 AM
Derry fans, has there every been injections at the Brandywell?

I've never heard of the need for any after the dogs.

Also - unlike the RDS where the horses are all over the playing surface, at the Brandywell the dogs are largely kept off/away from the pitch, so the risk of contamination issues is much lower. Plus - City players spend less time rolling around on the ground than Rovers do..... :p

Do Leinster get jabs for the RDS ? Surely if the risk for Rovers was that high when playing at the RDS, then players of opposition teams should also have got the jab ?!? :confused:

half_full
13/08/2007, 4:08 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;744832]Also - unlike the RDS where the horses are all over the playing surface, at the Brandywell the dogs are largely kept off/away from the pitchQUOTE]

Oh, cos i remember the last time I was at the dogs, they were all over the grass area before the race:eek:

MeathDrog
13/08/2007, 4:13 PM
RDS is a kip.The final should be in a better stadium

Burny89
13/08/2007, 4:20 PM
The RDS is the first place i think of when i hear the good ol' "tree for a pound" back in the day when Rovers played there.

Never thought it was the best venue for football at that time.Any body able to track down some recent pictures

Also saw one of my favourite concerts there, Blur, Supergrass and Black Grape, great day out, probably about 98?

Jerry The Saint
13/08/2007, 5:28 PM
RDS is a kip.The final should be in a better stadium

Suggestions?

The only (potentially) available stadium that's better is Croke Park ;). Turner's X would be next on the list but the anti-Cork illuminati would never allow this.

So... Flancare? Lissywoolen? Whatever's left of Dalymount or Tolka by December? Pats could put that temp stand back up if you like:confused:

RDS will be fine.

pineapple stu
13/08/2007, 5:31 PM
My point was that it wasn't just showing signs of wear and tear from horses (i.e. cut-up), but that it seemed to have much more fundamental issues as well - e.g. noticeably uneven throughout. Even a Dub should understand that horses hooves wouldn't alter the overall undulation of a pitch.... :p
Who's a Dub?

I've been pitchside and on the pitch during the Leinster season, and you can't compare it to the state it is during the Horse Show. It'll be grand.

RDS is a kip.The final should be in a better stadium.
I hear Drogheda have a new 10,000 seater stadium coming on stream for sometime last November. We could use that. ;)

DvB
13/08/2007, 6:00 PM
Also saw one of my favourite concerts there, Blur, Supergrass and Black Grape, great day out, probably about 98?

June 96, same day England beat Spain on penos in the European Championship Quarter Finals at wembley!

I remember that day well, a great gig!!

Koh

Burny89
13/08/2007, 6:11 PM
'96 phew!!!! time flies when your having fun ;)

OneRedArmy
13/08/2007, 7:20 PM
The new pitch/surface definately isn't uneven, but it has been cut up a fair bit.

Presumably they'll take a roller to it and maybe hollowtine it to reduce the compaction and try to get rid of the hoof marks.

But Stu I'd still be surprised if it gets anywhere near a decent surface for football. A wet autumn will also knacker from the scrums.

pineapple stu
13/08/2007, 7:21 PM
It won't be perfect alright, but there's no point comparing it to the current state, after three days of horses running all over it.