PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup Final at RDS?

Pages : 1 [2]

dcfcsteve
13/08/2007, 7:53 PM
Oh, cos i remember the last time I was at the dogs, they were all over the grass area before the race:eek:

To be fair - we have more to worry about catching something off of the Drogs who p!ss on our pitch, rather than the dogs..... :D

dcfcsteve
13/08/2007, 7:54 PM
The new pitch/surface definately isn't uneven, but it has been cut up a fair bit.

Presumably they'll take a roller to it and maybe hollowtine it to reduce the compaction and try to get rid of the hoof marks.

But Stu I'd still be surprised if it gets anywhere near a decent surface for football. A wet autumn will also knacker from the scrums.

A worrying knowledge of grassy surfaces there ORA. You sure you're not from down the country.....? :)

kdjaC
13/08/2007, 8:10 PM
A worrying knowledge of grassy surfaces there ORA. You sure you're not from down the country.....? :)

Derry is down the country in an up kinda way :o

kdjac

Aaron
13/08/2007, 9:02 PM
IMO Dalymount would be the best option. Can get plenty into it and is a nice big pitch to play on.

OneRedArmy
13/08/2007, 9:33 PM
A worrying knowledge of grassy surfaces there ORA. You sure you're not from down the country.....? :)I don't live to far away from the RDS so I get a look at it regularly. In fact, have been known to have the odd kickabout on it (re-creating Liam Coyle's wondergoal from the Rovers era being a personal favourite) :D

half_full
13/08/2007, 9:51 PM
To be fair - we have more to worry about catching something off of the Drogs who p!ss on our pitch, rather than the dogs..... :D

:D

ah yes, didnt JPK take a lash up there recentley behind a dugout:eek:

niallsparky
13/08/2007, 9:58 PM
:D

ah yes, didnt JPK take a lash up there recentley behind a dugout:eek:

Ah sure it was only some UK team's ground.;)

Burny89
13/08/2007, 10:04 PM
Ah sure it was only some UK team's ground.;)

*****!!!

if i put this smilie in does that mean its not offensive ;)

Paddyfield
13/08/2007, 10:28 PM
When Rovers played Pat's in the first ever soccer game at the RDS, there were well over 20,000 people there as it was the first time the Hoops had played a home game in the southside of Dublin in donkeys years; if memory serves me right, there were 23,000 people there. [Could a Rovers or Pat's fan confirm this?]

Unfortunately, the game ended in a drab 0-0 and about 90% of them didn't return. Rovers won the League there under manager Ray Tracey.

And yes, every player who played on the pitch got an injection to prevent infection from horsesh!te.

Bohs had a fanzine at the time who took inspiration from the fact that Rovers played in a horse showjumping venue; it was called Only Fools And Horses :D

I was at 2 games in the RDS and it was surreal experience but enjoyable (especailly when Galway United won 5 - 2 )

Finally, Rep of Ireland played Wales at the RDS too :o

Macy
14/08/2007, 7:37 AM
I thought the RDS was holding up well to the horse traffic given the weather.

Not sure why Rugby being played on the RDS would be more of an issue than Lansdowne Road - the main pitch was used at least once a week afaik, whereas Magners League would be 9 (?) plus maybe only 3 in the European Cup (I think it's only Leinster games that will be played in the RDS?).

onceahoop
14/08/2007, 9:48 AM
When Rovers played Pat's in the first ever soccer game at the RDS, there were well over 20,000 people there as it was the first time the Hoops had played a home game in the southside of Dublin in donkeys years; if memory serves me right, there were 23,000 people there. [Could a Rovers or Pat's fan confirm this?]

Unfortunately, the game ended in a drab 0-0 and about 90% of them didn't return. Rovers won the League there under manager Ray Tracey.

And yes, every player who played on the pitch got an injection to prevent infection from horsesh!te.

Bohs had a fanzine at the time who took inspiration from the fact that Rovers played in a horse showjumping venue; it was called Only Fools And Horses :D

I was at 2 games in the RDS and it was surreal experience but enjoyable (especailly when Galway United won 5 - 2 )

They had event junkies then also :mad:
I thought it was 24,000 but we won't argue over it. As for the injection. It's only a tetanus injection that's needed. A lot of people would already have had one.

As for the state of the pitch, ORA is right, a roll and a fork and September growth and it'll be all right. Maybe not perfect after the rugby but was it ever thus at Lansdowne.

Schumi
14/08/2007, 12:02 PM
They had event junkies then also :mad:
A new name for part-time Pats fans? :D

Block G Raptor
14/08/2007, 7:12 PM
Also saw one of my favourite concerts there, Blur, Supergrass and Black Grape, great day out, probably about 98?

1996 the day engerland played spain in euro 96 great gig alritey

Paddyfield
14/08/2007, 9:41 PM
Also saw one of my favourite concerts there, Blur, Supergrass and Black Grape, great day out, probably about 98?

I saw Radiohead supported by Massive Atack at the RDS.

eelmonster
15/08/2007, 11:43 AM
1996 the day engerland played spain in euro 96 great gig alritey

They beat them on penalties. I remember Damon Albarn being particularly smarmy when he was reading out some of the full time scores: 'Hard luck Spain'.

Radiohead was 1997, the OK Computer tour, another great gig.

bohsmug
15/08/2007, 12:04 PM
I saw Radiohead supported by Massive Atack at the RDS.

I saw Britney Spears . . .

OneRedArmy
15/08/2007, 1:02 PM
U2 Zooropa 1993...........

Still not as good as Liam Coyle's wondergoal though.:D

Fivesilver
15/08/2007, 4:45 PM
every player who played on the pitch got an injection to prevent infection from horsesh!te.

Whereas these days you only need those if you're in earshot of Scully's postmatch interviews. :p

dcfcsteve
16/08/2007, 12:32 AM
Derry is down the country in an up kinda way :o

kdjac

By definition, a 'city' is not 'country'....

dcfcsteve
16/08/2007, 12:34 AM

What year were Rovers at the RDS, and how long did they play there ?

Burny89
16/08/2007, 2:45 AM
early to mid 90's. Think they still might've played there in 1996. I remember going there for quite a few years

Jerry The Saint
16/08/2007, 9:51 AM
By definition, a 'city' is not 'country'....

Not according to this definition:

coun·try /ˈkʌntri/ Pronunciation[kuhn-tree]
–noun 1. The Country: Any place that is constantly discriminated against by the wealthy Dublin elite. See also, Ridden Rock Solid, Shannon Airport, Moaning Yokels

Dodge
16/08/2007, 10:02 AM
Think 95/96 was their last season there. First game was in October 1990

Poor enough place to watch a match for those of us who like to stand.

Like most of the thread I prefer the cup final NOT to be played at a league venue