PDA

View Full Version : Best Visting Player in Dalymount / Lansdowne

DeNiro
10/08/2007, 6:27 PM
Following on the best Irish international topic, who's the best away team iplayer you've seen play in an internation in Dublin. Thought Hagi was a class act in the Romania game here in 97. Zidane in 2005 and Ortega in 1998 be my pick of the more recent bunch

onephillyhughes
10/08/2007, 6:30 PM
Good one, hard to pick.

Figo was damn good in 2001, he'd be well up there for me.

DeNiro
10/08/2007, 6:35 PM
Jimmy Magee did a team of best visiting internationals to play in Dublin a few years back in the Sunday World. He has Schmeichel in goals and some of the French team from the 81 game if I remember right! Figo was good in 2001 game but equally Laudrup was good in 1993 but McGrath marked him well on the day.

stojkovic
10/08/2007, 8:00 PM
Diego Armando Maradona.

Thread closed.

Next.

Stuttgart88
10/08/2007, 9:14 PM
Yeah, I saw Maradona's appearance in Lansdowne too.

I was at Bohs vs Bordeaux in the Intertoto at dalyer around 95 and I think the Bordeaux team included Zidane, Dugarry and Lizarazu. I wasn't at the France game in '05 but I can say I saw Zidane in Dublin.

I think Gullit was a superb player and I think he made his debut, scoring in our 3-2 loss to Holland in the early 80s.

stojkovic
10/08/2007, 9:22 PM
Kevin Keegan's debut for Southampton v Rovers at Lansdowne.

Well he was European Player of the Year twice.

DeNiro
10/08/2007, 10:08 PM
Did Pele play in the Drumcondra v Santos friendly in Dublin? Was that in early 70s?

geysir
10/08/2007, 10:48 PM
Jimmy Magee did a team of best visiting internationals to play in Dublin a few years back in the Sunday World. He has Schmeichel in goals and some of the French team from the 81 game.
I'd say Platini had to be in it even if Brady had trumped him on that day.

billybunter
11/08/2007, 1:38 AM
i'd have to say Alan Kernaghan. No-one did more for the opposition than big AL.

Noelys Guitar
11/08/2007, 2:42 AM
Ruud Gullit for his performance in front of a live Irish audience in the 2-3 defeat of Ireland by Holland was the tops. Maradona was not outstanding in the friendly at Landsdowne. Trevor Brooking for England in a 1-1 draw played a great game. Figo played well in the 1-1. Platini in the 3-2 played well no matter what Dunphy said.

fergalr
12/08/2007, 8:28 AM
i'd have to say Alan Kernaghan. No-one did more for the opposition than big AL.
Lazy comment IMHO. Said Mr K won man of the match in his first two appearances. His legacy was written by one pundit who slagged him off big time in one game when a fairer analysis would have apportioned equal blame to the two centre backs that day (but the pundit would never slag off a mate).

Answer to original question is of course Maradona with Figo & Rui Costa runners up.

gspain
12/08/2007, 8:47 AM
I think Diego Maradona was te greatest footballer of all time but his performance at Lansdowne wasn't that memorable.

Alan Kernaghan was a decent player who gave everything in green. He had a great game in Copenhagen. yes he had a nightmare v Spain as did some other senior players.

Tough question. Toni Polster must be up there for that disaster in 1995. I thought Figo's performanc ein 2001 was world class too.

Lionel Ritchie
12/08/2007, 8:47 AM
Lazy comment IMHO. Said Mr K won man of the match in his first two appearances. .

Agree with Fergalr. Curious the way people only seem to remember, purely for example sake, Roy Keanes good performances but not his indifferent ones and apply a different standard to Alan Kernaghan where he has one poor performance (with plenty of company) at home to Spain thrown up at him constantly. He never seems to get asked to talk us through the match winner against Lithuania.

As for the original Question...

Henry

gspain
12/08/2007, 8:50 AM
Zico at Lansdowne in May 1987.

Damn I'd have loved to see that game. When was it?

I did get to see Brazil in May 23rd 1987 at Lansdowne but Zico didn't play.

Carlos [Corinthians]
Josimar [Botafogo]
Geraldão [Cruzeiro]
Ricardo Rocha [Guarani]
Nelsinho [São Paulo]
Douglas [Cruzeiro]
Silas [São Paulo]
Edu Manga [Palmeiras]
(Raí) [Botafogo-SP]
Müller [São Paulo]
(João Paulo II) [Guarani]
Mirandinha II [Palmeiras]
(Romário) [Vasco]
Valdo II [Grêmio]

Lionel Ritchie
12/08/2007, 8:54 AM
Had Zico not retired from International Football by 1987? Thought he was in the J-league by then or shortly thereafter.

geysir
12/08/2007, 10:04 AM
Brazils 1973 team had Paulo Cesar Lima, Rivelino and Jairzinho in it.

As regards Henry, brilliant goal but quiet enough performance by his standards.
I understood the thread Q to be which one of the best played the best.

stojkovic
12/08/2007, 1:14 PM
I was there too. Only 17,000 turned up to see Brasil, no Ole Olers in them glorious days. Two years later I couldnt get a ticket to see Malta !!!!

Oh and Zico definetly DID NOT play that day. He was one of my heroes. The White Pele as he was called.

geysir
12/08/2007, 7:01 PM
Nice deflection :)