PDA

View Full Version : Bohs snap up Gregg

A face
05/04/2003, 10:43 AM
Bohs snap up Gregg

Reigning eircom League champions Bohemians have further strengthened their squad for the imminent defence of their title by snapping up Bray Wanderers goalkeeper Matt Gregg on a free transfer from the seaside club.

It had been widely suspected that Gregg was unsettled since Bray were relegated from the top flight at the end of last season, and he was linked with close-season moves to both Bohs and St Patrick’s Athletic.

Of Bray’s side last season, Barry O’Connor, Philip Keogh and Jason Byrne had already left for pastures new, and now Gregg – who had two years left on his current deal – has followed them out of the Bray exit door.

The news of the Englishman’s departure comes just a week after the player had denied all knowledge of an imminent transfer to the league champions.

He had said: “I don’t know anything about it. There was talk of me going to Waterford United a few weeks ago but I didn’t want to go down there.”

Ashley Bayes, the Bohs first-choice last term, left the club recently in acrimonious circumstances; the Englishman was unhappy at the signing of former St Pats and Cardiff City keeper Seamus Kelly, and that the Offalyman had apparently displaced him as number one at Dalymount Park.

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=4831)