PDA

View Full Version : UCD vs Galway

DmanDmythDledge
09/08/2007, 3:32 PM
Must win game for us to avoid getting dragged into the relegation battle- 3 points would more or less guarantee safety with an 8 point gap between us and Galway. Another performance like Monday and we will win comfortably, especially given Galway's problems at the moment (8 games without a win). I'd like to see the same team start again (presuming McFaul and Crowley are still injured) with the exception of Conan coming in for Doyle. Haven't heard anything about Tony Mc but hopefully he didn't get a concussion. I'm going for a 2-0 to us, with Sammo to score at least once.:)

gufct
09/08/2007, 3:47 PM
looks like we might have a full strength squad for the 1st time in 2 months so im going for a 1-0 win Flynny to score.

Gargamel
09/08/2007, 6:37 PM
dont mean to temp fate but i'm going for

0-0

pineapple stu
09/08/2007, 6:53 PM
We always do well in Galway and they always do well in Belfield, but they're a First Division team to all intents and purposes, and we should beat them. Going to go with a nervy 1-0 though.

DmanDmythDledge
09/08/2007, 10:42 PM
From IrishFootballOnline (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=7099):

UCD and Galway United meet at Belfield Park on Friday night with both sides looking to climb the table. A bad run of form saw UCD drop down the table although two unbeaten games in a row have steadied the ship in eighth place. Galway are bottom of the form table at the moment and dropped into the relegation play off spot by losing to Waterford last weekend.

League of Ireland Premier Division
UCD vs Galway United
(Belfield Park - Friday,10th August - 7:45 pm)
Referee : Tom Connolly

After losing four games in a row, a win over Bohemians and a draw with Saint Patrick's Athletic has revived a UCD team that looked set to get dragged down into a relegation battle. Having scored only a ninetieth minute penalty in the win over Bohs, UCD had gone well over five games without a goal from open play until Derek Doyle finished superbly in Monday's draw in Inchicore.

Galway have failed to win in their last six games, although much of their poor form this season has come in home games. The Tribesmen have of course failed to win any of their eleven home league games to date. However, their away record is only bettered by four teams in the Premier Division of the League of Ireland and Galway have lost just two away games in the league this year.

Galway lost at home to Waterford United last weekend to drop into the play-off spot as the Munster side leap-frogged them in the table.

Paul Murphy could make his UCD debut at some point having been ineligible for Monday's draw with his "parent" club St. Pats. Shane McFaul is available again after suspension but must also overcome a recent injury to feature. Paul Byrne is likely to remain out injured.

UCD may soon have to plan without striker Conor Sammon who has been linked with moves to Stoke City and Leeds United.

John Russell and Stephen O'Flynn could both be involved for Galway after shaking off recent injury problems.

Galway boss Tony Cousins is anxious to get last weekend's crucial loss out of the system as quickly as possible, "We have got to bounce back straight away. We are far better than this sort of result. We cannot do anything about that game now, but we can about the match against UCD."

League form for UCD : DWLLL
League form for Galway United : LDLDL

Previous meeting(s) : Galway United 0-0 UCD (18/05/2007)
UCD 3-0 Galway United (01/10/2004)
Galway United 1-1 UCD (25/06/2004)
UCD 4-0 Galway United (09/04/2004)
IrishFootballOnline.com Prediction: Draw.
Never heard of the ref. No news about Crowley either. And do they ever have comments from our manager (or are they censored?:D)?:confused:

they always do well in Belfield
Eh we beat them 3-0 and 4-0 in the First Division. Going back further than that is pointless, even going back to '04 is too. Anyway past records like that mean very little.

Aberdonian Stu
10/08/2007, 8:25 AM
Crowley is out injured and comments from Pete were included in this week's release.

Angus
10/08/2007, 10:47 AM
McFaul available again apparently so I am predicting:

Back 5 unchanged

King, Doyler, McFaul and Finn

Sammo and Hynes

Although trying to second guess Pete is difficult - his selections and formations have by and large been pretty successful so wait and see. Maybe Fitzy for Doyler ? Maybe Conan for McFaul ?

Not sure if Fitzy did enough the last couple of games - maybe the Rovers injury still not right

John83
10/08/2007, 11:58 AM
Not sure if Fitzy did enough the last couple of games - maybe the Rovers injury still not right
(like the Bohs game). I would think he'll start with two wingers again. A lot depends on whether the loan signings are looking match fit or not. If not, it's Finn or Conan up front. I'd be disappointed not to see Conan start on the right, but needs must.

DmanDmythDledge
10/08/2007, 1:03 PM
Crowley is out injured and comments from Pete were included in this week's release.
From UCDsoccer.com (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/news.php?id=3827):

UCD captain Tony McDonnell is highly doubtful for the Students' home clash with Galway United on Friday night. McDonnell suffered a nasty cut in a clash of heads during Monday’s 1-1 draw away to St Patrick’s Athletic. UCD manager Pete Mahon said the decision on whether or not to play McDonnell will be made at the last minute.

Midfielder Paul Crowley and striker Paul Byrne are both definitely out through injury but UCD welcome back midfielder Shane McFaul from injury and suspension while loan signing Paul Murphy, who joined UCD from St Pats last week, is available for the first time.

Despite a solid performance in Monday night’s draw, UCD manager Pete Mahon said he is still wary of tomorrow’s opponents. “I’ve seen so many false dawns before that I’m taking nothing for granted,” said Mahon. “If we win here it should be enough to guarantee our Premier Division status for next season,” said the UCD manager. “It’s a crucial game and the mental approach of our players will be critical.”

Galway's three league wins to date have all come on the road, and only Drogheda have fewer away defeats in the league. The Tribesmen are expected to be at full strength as they look to make amends for last week's home defeat against Waterford, which saw them drop into the play-off position. With Longford mounting something of a charge below them, United will certainly be targetting all three points from this game.

Kick off in Belfield Park is 7:45.

McFaul available again apparently so I am predicting:

Back 5 unchanged

King, Doyler, McFaul and Finn

I think the team will be the same as Monday with McFaul coming in for Tony Mc. The midfield above doesn't have enough width.

DmanDmythDledge
10/08/2007, 1:49 PM
There's always one... (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=743325&postcount=21):D