PDA

View Full Version : Galway Race Course New Stand

pete
07/08/2007, 11:43 AM
While this does look fairly impressive i read it cost 22m Euro of which Horse Racing Ireland (the state) granted 10m.

By his own admission the Manager of the race course said it would be empty for 10 months of the year. :eek:

If it wasn't obvious already it shows a clear bias in funding of the Horse Racing Industry. I wonder if the Green Party were complaining about the Galway Races tents this year...?

seand
07/08/2007, 12:25 PM
The amount of money given to racing in Ireland is simply obscene. The only excuse they can offer is that it creates/maintains jobs... if you dumped hundreds of millions into football, rugby, or lacrosse it'd generate quite a few jobs for quite a few more people, instead of subsidising an elite and encouraging gambling.

pete
07/08/2007, 1:39 PM
I don't object to funding of other sports but Horse Racing should be funded by the IDA.

There are only races in Galway for 12 days of the year even when you add the insignificant September & October meets.

Sumac
10/08/2007, 10:09 AM
But it brings huge revenue into Galway for those 12 days. And a lot of people enjoy the experience and come back to the city when the races aren't on.
Does horse racing Ireland not generate a lot of its own money through race entry fees, tote, admission etc???

pete
10/08/2007, 10:38 AM
But it brings huge revenue into Galway for those 12 days. And a lot of people enjoy the experience and come back to the city when the races aren't on. Does horse racing Ireland not generate a lot of its own money through race entry fees, tote, admission etc???

Fund it from tourism budget if its about getting people to spend money. Most of th money brought to Galway would probably be recycled from the rest of the country. Horse Racing Ireland receives some funding from tax on off course betting but afaik that involves all sports & not just horses & dogs.

Government funding for football stadia is never sold on the basis of bringing revenue into the country. FAI & IRFU Internationals bring millions into the country from outside. If the new Lansdowne hosted a European final how much would that be worth to the country?

Sumac
10/08/2007, 10:43 AM
But does anyone know what basis the Government use when funding any type of stadia?