PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the promotion and atmosphere

Pages : [1] 2

Rory H
07/08/2007, 10:31 AM
With all the underage teams coming to the showgrounds saturday and some other people who will be experiencing a match for the first time in a while or maybe ever I think we really have a role to play in adding to the experience. The blue stand will see the best atmosphere[part of the promotion will be the addition of red and white cards to hold up pre game] so we really need the section full. The underage teams will have no problem standing up and singing if we have enough to encourage them and if they experience a good atmosphere they are sure to return. We need as much colour as possible so any suggessions on what we can use. Bring a scarf if you have one too. Also the regulars we should fill up the bottom rows so we just dont have two long lines like before[better sound when its 6 rows] .

Red&White Rover
07/08/2007, 11:37 AM
Aye, we'll need to get the Blue Stand rocking pre game!

sligoman
07/08/2007, 12:51 PM
Remember, no bad language either lads;)

Sean South
07/08/2007, 12:53 PM
I wasn't going to bother with the tifos for this game because it is only Bray might bring them along now.

life long red
07/08/2007, 12:53 PM
f--- fat head

Rovers1
07/08/2007, 12:56 PM
I wasn't going to bother with the tifos for this game because it is only Bray might bring them along now.

do bring them, the better the place looks for the non-regulars the more a chance there is of them returning and spreading the word.

gustavo
07/08/2007, 3:25 PM
This is a huge game really , Its a great chance for us to consolidate our good position , need to keep the good run going , dont want a repeat of last time when we followed up a great performance against Cork with a listless one against Bray

feo123
07/08/2007, 3:46 PM
. The blue stand will see the best atmosphere[part of the promotion will be the addition of red and white cards to hold up pre game] so we really need the section full[better sound when its 6 rows] .

did you get that idea off me?

sligoman
07/08/2007, 6:00 PM
did you get that idea off me?Well they do read foot.ie so probably yeah.

feo123
07/08/2007, 11:09 PM
Well they do read foot.ie so probably yeah.

i'm good amn't i

Rovers1
08/08/2007, 11:26 AM
rovers are making a presentation to the gah team at half time too.

Rory H
08/08/2007, 11:42 AM
Even promotional stuff going on in Toffs friday

Really hope it works.....the team deserve a big crowd

Rovers1
08/08/2007, 1:12 PM
does anyone know where you can get the controlled flares? neol was talking about them to us the other day. there legal in LOI grounds too.

Red&White Rover
08/08/2007, 1:23 PM
does anyone know where you can get the controlled flares? neol was talking about them to us the other day. there legal in LOI grounds too.

Up the north somewhere?

sligoman
08/08/2007, 2:52 PM
does anyone know where you can get the controlled flares? neol was talking about them to us the other day. there legal in LOI grounds too.Few flares would be good alright, really look well. What about smoke bombs, red ones obviously, where can they be got? We're not fined for them are we?:confused:

Da Real Rover
08/08/2007, 6:07 PM
Great insight there Rogue, any more words of wisdom :rolleyes:

Not half as usefull as that comment, well done.

All the regulars in the jinks avenue stand should go in full colour, better image.

Ohh and rory are you dropping off leaflets at cartron/ballytivnan/avondale tomorrow?? Il give you a hand and drag wardy down with me aswell.

Sean South
08/08/2007, 7:00 PM
Sligoman Tifo.it is the best place for smoke bombs. Clubs can use them as long as its an 'official' display. Bohs done it against the Drogs this season as part of a NBB display.

Jeebus
09/08/2007, 2:28 AM
Sligoman Tifo.it is the best place for smoke bombs. Clubs can use them as long as its an 'official' display. Bohs done it against the Drogs this season as part of a NBB display.

I had an order in with tifo for flares and smoke bombs but then the FAI clamped down on it all. It was the week leading up to the bohs game in dalymount that i cancelled it. Are smoke bombs allowed or banned by the FAI??

Rovers1
09/08/2007, 1:51 PM
theres some stupid rule in the FAI, i dont know it fully, but its something like, theyre allowed before the game, or when the teams come out, but not during the game. does anyone know a website you can get the ''controlled flares''??

feo123
09/08/2007, 10:02 PM
we should all meet in mooneys at about 7 and go over to the ground singing all the way in, drums and all going...bit of craic and get the buzz going outside the ground

red_away
10/08/2007, 11:11 AM
Mooneys - 6:30!!!!

"DA ROVERS!!!" (screamed at the top of your voice repeatedly)

gufct
10/08/2007, 11:16 AM
All Flares and Smoke Bombs are banned lads .

Redzer
10/08/2007, 12:14 PM
All Flares and Smoke Bombs are banned lads .
Maybe you should post this on your own site :rolleyes:

Galway United were fined €200 for the setting off of flares by their supporters v Sligo Rovers(14.07.07).

Galway United were fined €500 for the unruly behaviour of their supporters v Sligo Rovers(14.07.07).

Rory H
10/08/2007, 6:34 PM
ya can everyone meet in mooneys first. will be there around 6.30 and head over about 20 mins later. start singing early then to try to entice more

sligoman
10/08/2007, 11:07 PM
Sing "No surrender to the GAA" when Shligo come out onto the pitch;)

Red&White Rover
11/08/2007, 12:34 AM
To be honest that would be just embarrassing for the club. :o

It is cringeworthy people may even think about something like this:o

I like it...tongue in cheek...

Kivlehan
11/08/2007, 12:53 AM

I think the point of the promotion is to attract more people to watch the team on a regular basis. If many of these people like the GAA and you do that, you may make them feel unwelcome and negate the purpose of the promotion.

Red&White Rover
11/08/2007, 1:03 AM
No it is just idiotic :o :(

Yeah because we really mean it and see the GAA as terroist organisation to football...

only a joke...

Red&White Rover
11/08/2007, 2:01 AM
Well it is not a good one, people may think they're being funny but this kind of s**t is simply pathetic.

The boys in the blue stand while they are a good bunch but would be better of coming up with some new chants which encourage thea players.

Oh don't see what is the big deal! It's a chant ffs.

We don't mean it like.

Red Army
11/08/2007, 8:19 AM

Like the others said that would be stupid to sing it we're trying to attract more people to the Showgrounds no point creating a divide between Rovers and the gaa. Some people mightn't see it as a joke. We would also sound like them inbred crusties if we started singing it. The chant is cringe worthy at best

Red&White Rover
11/08/2007, 11:16 AM
Yes your right it is a chant an ignorant chant that could will allienate the club (That is what the big deal is). If that is heard in the Showgrounds tonight all the good will built up by club and by Noel Mooney this week will useless.

:rolleyes:By singing a song we will alienate the club. Ignorant? It's tongue in Cheek. not ignorant.

Ignorant is people who refer to football as a foreign sport.

Get real.

biscuit
11/08/2007, 11:36 AM
well from what i heard last night, the invitation from rovers had been turnmed down by the chairman of the county board, so any presentation tonight, if there is going to be one, would be unofficial.
also i hope the poxy weather doesnt effect us attracting newcomers to 2nights game.

sligoman
11/08/2007, 11:44 AM
The boys in the blue stand while they are a good bunch but would be better of coming up with some new chants which encourage thea players.Why is it only the "boys in the blue stand" that should do it? Why don't you try and make some songs up and post them here then?

Da Real Rover
11/08/2007, 12:06 PM
Why is it only the "boys in the blue stand" that should do it? Why don't you try and make some songs up and post them here then?

Exactly, and whats more maybe you should come over and join us, help add to the atmosphere, if thats not too much to ask.

red bellied
11/08/2007, 12:43 PM
well from what i heard last night, the invitation from rovers had been turnmed down by the chairman of the county board, so any presentation tonight, if there is going to be one, would be unofficial.
also i hope the poxy weather doesnt effect us attracting newcomers to 2nights game.

If true, very embarressing. Front page of the Champion "Unique soocer honour for the Connaught Champions" and the County Board officially rebuke the invitation. Fair play to any of the team that do accept the invite.

biscuit
11/08/2007, 1:07 PM
wel as i said i didnt hear anything official, just the person i that said it to me would be in a position to hear these kind of things.hope it aint true tho, it would lower my already somewhat low opinion of the sligo gaa hierarchy.

sligoman
11/08/2007, 1:08 PM
it would lower my already somewhat low opinion of the sligo gaa hierarchy.And give me an extra reason to hate them:). But as red bellied said, fair play to any of the team, if any, that do show up.

Ballagh Red
11/08/2007, 1:50 PM
would love to see Mickey Mac out on the pitch at half time.The blue stand will be rocking tonite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxUZUnRwH7s

sligoman
14/08/2007, 8:35 PM
If true, very embarressing. Front page of the Champion "Unique soocer honour for the Connaught Champions" and the County Board officially rebuke the invitation.Reasons explained (http://sligoweekender.com/news/story.asp?j=33459&cat=sport), supposedly anyway.

avvenalaf
15/08/2007, 12:53 AM
No, there is a very sensitive issue here and Michael Toolan put the County Board in an unfair position with the press release. He should have spoken to John Murphy before he issued the invite and he would have discovered that it would be difficult for County Board to accept the invite and there the story would have ended.
OK, Sligoman, you can cut loose on this if you want but in fact the invite and the publicity surrounding it only created problems for all concerned.

Fivesilver
15/08/2007, 7:19 AM
He should have spoken to John Murphy before he issued the invite and he would have discovered that it would be difficult for County Board to accept the invite and there the story would have ended.

This may be true, but doesn't it just go to show how absurd the whole hostility to "foreign games" is? This is 2007. Paisley and McGuinness are sitting down together. Yet intelligent people take it as natural that club officials should sneak around secretly asking if it's okay to invite their counterparts to be congratulated. :eek:
And I don't suspect for a moment that Toolan was trying to score propaganda points by deliberately issuing the press release. He's always been friendly toward the GAA, despite being first and foremost a Rovers supporter since the 60s.

The idea that Central Council would refuse to allow the Nestor Cup in the Showgrounds suggests the Ban is alive and well. With the kind of goodwill that exists across the codes in Sligo, it's an awful pity that some people in high places can't shake off their primitive mindset.

This celebration would be great for the image of both of these teams representing Sligo. Let's hope the official explanation was true and the GAA team and trophy make an appearance in the Showgrounds before the end of the year.
Who can it possibly hurt?

avvenalaf
15/08/2007, 11:08 AM
Not suggesting for a minute that Michael was acting in anything other than the right spirit but whether we agree or not we have to recognise that this invite put john Murphy in a very difficult situation and the outcome was predictable - and avoidable if a bit more thought went into it.

avvenalaf
15/08/2007, 12:43 PM
Well Sligoman should remember that the other guy got sent off as well. :D

Guts&Glory
15/08/2007, 12:53 PM
No, there is a very sensitive issue here and Michael Toolan put the County Board in an unfair position with the press release. He should have spoken to John Murphy before he issued the invite and he would have discovered that it would be difficult for County Board to accept the invite and there the story would have ended.
OK, Sligoman, you can cut loose on this if you want but in fact the invite and the publicity surrounding it only created problems for all concerned.

Sensitive issue my backside.

What sensitive issue?

They either did or did not want to attend.

Simple as that.

No excuses obviously somebody somewhere said it cant happen.

Toolan even invited the team to just attend the game get a mention over the PA and a warm round of applause form the crowd without the need to parade on the pitch if thats all they wanted to do.

Leave the neantheratal idiots in the GAA to it and let them live happily still in 1888.

...and before anyone replies I was there at all the Sligo County matches again this year because I love the game and my County but its being seriously held back by some idiots.

biscuit
15/08/2007, 12:59 PM
here here...G&G...
its an absolute disgrace that deserves no defence.
the sligo county board a backward bunch of oul bo**oxes.
im glad rovers do come out of this with the right PR for once.
They extended an olive branch to Sligo GAA, to show that both sports, and the country as a whole has moved on, yet certain people, and anyone who nows Sligo Gaa knows who they are, are intent on holding things back. What people have to realise is that the alot of the general GAA public will look at this,, and see it as a reason not to come and see a rovers game.thus effecting the good work done to promote the club.

avvenalaf
15/08/2007, 2:07 PM
Well that takes the biscuit.

biscuit
15/08/2007, 2:56 PM
:rolleyes::D:D

Redzer
15/08/2007, 3:00 PM
From what I hear in GAA circles. Tommy and the lads had no problem attending, it was Murphy's call!!!!

Fivesilver
15/08/2007, 4:04 PM
Meanwhile the English rugby team get to play at Croke Park. The decision having nothing, of course, to do with the serious shillings that landed into GAA coffers.
Time to wake up and smell the 21st century.

jamie m
16/08/2007, 11:52 AM
if anyone sees any posters for the bray game could ye take them down because i might be wrong but as far as i know there are pretty hefty fines for each poster not taken down after an event has taken place, not sure how many days after it you have to take them down though