PDA

View Full Version : Is the Eircom League what you expected?

sniffa
06/08/2007, 6:46 PM
With your first season now over halfway through is the league what you all expected it to be like?

sobersod
06/08/2007, 8:15 PM
well at the start our expectations were high after a brilliant start,
but i knew it wasn't gone to last and
i knew it was going to be hard but with the youth in our squad we can only get better!:D

Sunny Jim
07/08/2007, 8:55 AM
It's been pretty much what I expected, except for the standard of refereeing, which has been absolutely abysmal for the most part. I'm amazed at how bad they are.

brokenstar
07/08/2007, 12:17 PM
It's been pretty much what I expected, except for the standard of refereeing, which has been absolutely abysmal for the most part. I'm amazed at how bad they are.

Have to say I agree with this. The refereeing at times borders on the ludicrous and really has to be seen to be believed. Other than that, our season has gone pretty much as I expected to be honest. It's just great to finally have our own team in the eircom league.

passinginterest
07/08/2007, 2:44 PM
I'd agree with the lads really. Anyone with realistic expectations knew the first season was going to be a struggle, and none too pretty.

A few people came into it with little or no knowledge of the League of Ireland and the good start may have given them a false hope, and the subsequent decline has left them disillusioned.

The rest of us can appreciate the fact that this year is about learning and establishing a team at this level. As long as we continue to see progress, application and the right attitude we will be happy.

My biggest surprise is probably the fact that the team haven't taken any serious hammerings (I admit I'm a bit worried about the trip to Finn Harps, they're in great form and were embarrassed to lose at home to us the last time).

I think it's important to remember that a lot of the lads involved in this team had spent a few years stagnating in junior football, being big fish in small ponds. The step up has taken some time for them. It's noticeable that the lads coming straight from this years All Ireland winning youths team seem to have made the transition better. Next year I expect to see the side challenge the top five.

pete
07/08/2007, 3:10 PM
Where has the Youths support come from? Would your supporters have watched eL games before or coming from Junior football background?

passinginterest
07/08/2007, 3:20 PM
Where has the Youths support come from? Would your supporters have watched eL games before or coming from Junior football background?

Vast majority have come from junior. Wallace was keen to emphasise the fact that players were drawn from all over the county in the early days. Very much trying to make it like a GAA support. An awful lot of friends and family of players make up the main part of the support now. A few supporters will have gone to Waterford, Kilkenny or Bray games in the past, or gone to a few games when in college in Dublin, but the vast majority are new to the league.

kopite
08/08/2007, 7:58 PM
agree with everything said,have to say the vast majority of the players have been spot on with everything they've done.yea they've under performed in some games,but comes with the territory of being new comers.i have enjoyed the season so far,especially the away games,seige mentality,great! mick has been very honest in his writings of the games so far.i think we're different than many clubs in div1,and i hope we keep it that way,nothing better than watching lads we know,played with,coached representing us in the el.we have miles to go before we sleep...can't wait for the snooze.