PDA

View Full Version : Irish B team of Eircom League's Best

Pat MacGroyne
02/04/2003, 5:59 PM
Is there an Ireland B team????

If not why not just make a team up from the best of the league and get them to play against the B teams of other countries.

Any Support for this or am I ****ing against the wind.

I think we should use it to showcase the league abroad

Pat MacGroyne
02/04/2003, 6:00 PM
Sorry bout the vulgarity I was typing before I was thinking!!!!!:D :D

Schumi
03/04/2003, 11:49 AM
It'd be cool but how many countries have B teams?

Dodge
03/04/2003, 12:34 PM
They oganised ad hoc really and I think we've played something like 10 games at that level. Scotland have re-introduced one (Berti Vogts is calling it the "future squad" :rolleyes: ) and they played Turkey recently. i'm sure if the FAI asked enough countries they'd get a decent run of games

gustavo
03/04/2003, 12:45 PM
if u accept that crowe mightnt get in kerrs 1st choice squad hows about this for a b team

kenny
kenna gavin delaney tierney
ryan mcphail quinn houlihan
crowe lee

obviously id only trust one or two of them in the full squad

feel free to inform me of my stupidity in blatantly forgetting someone

Schumi
03/04/2003, 12:48 PM
Well half of those aren't in the EL for a start!

Who's Kenny in goal BTW?

Dodge
03/04/2003, 1:19 PM
I'm presuming paddy Kenny from Sheff Utd?

I wouldn't have Kenna as being into the B team won't help him develop. I remember jack Charlton picking a B team in 1995 and picking Townsend and Whean as his midfield. The old fool...

Pauro 76
03/04/2003, 3:51 PM
last time i heard about the England B team was when Chris Sutton refused to play for them cos he felt he should be in the full squad..they dont have one now do they, in fact are B internationals out the window altogether?

Badweather Fan
03/04/2003, 7:23 PM
Originally posted by PAURO 7
in fact are B internationals out the window altogether?
Its up to the associations isn't it?
Like i don't think there's competitive tournois or owt.

sadloserkid
04/04/2003, 8:47 AM
Originally posted by PAURO 7
Chris Sutton refused to play for them cos he felt he should be in the full squad..

Yeah but in hindsight Sutton was proved right (even though I woulda slapped him myself for refusing to represent his country). Glenda told him that if played well against Russia 'B' then he'd be picked for the senior team next time out. Matt Le Tissier banged in a hat-trick in England's 4-2 win and was totally overlooked when the time came to pick the next squad. On a different note Dean Holdsworth says that playing for England 'B' was the proudest moment of his career

techs
04/04/2003, 7:13 PM
getting regular b internationals was one of the firrst things kerr talked about when he took the job (we all know what the very first was) so hopefully he will stick to his word. we are relyin on him to stick to his roots and keep the eircom league at heart

Pat MacGroyne
05/04/2003, 6:30 PM
Glad to see there is support for the motion although my aim was to have a team of Eircom League players I wouldnt rule out handy youngfellas playing in England either.

John83
07/04/2003, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by Pat MacGroyne
Glad to see there is support for the motion although my aim was to have a team of Eircom League players I wouldnt rule out handy youngfellas playing in England either.

Yeah, guys like Andy Reid ("Forest's little Figo" according to a teammate) should get a chance. Kerr could assess them - it's much better than the stupid Eriksson system of giving them 4 1/2 minutes in a friendly to prove themselves.

Shed End John
10/04/2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
They oganised ad hoc really and I think we've played something like 10 games at that level.

And I was at one of them!!:D Anyone else go to the Ireland v England B international before the 1990 World Cup? Ireland won 4-1, with Niall Quinn getting two absolute gems, after we had been 1-0 down. Happy days.:)

sadloserkid
10/04/2003, 10:46 AM
I believe David Kelly scored the other two?

Shed End John
10/04/2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid

He scored one, anyway. Can you name the English scorer that day, though??;)

sadloserkid
10/04/2003, 11:00 AM
Nope. No I can't.

Shed End John
10/04/2003, 11:25 AM
Nope. No I can't.

Uuuhhh.:D
A young Carlton Palmer put England 1-0 up with an absolute hoser less than 20 minutes in.;)

pineapple stu
11/04/2003, 12:49 PM

Yep, he got two alright. Was a fairly major sports news story at the time, I think. On RTÉ and all. In between the English league results and the next day's fixtures probably...

Ref
11/04/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
if u accept that crowe mightnt get in kerrs 1st choice squad hows about this for a b team

kenny
kenna gavin delaney tierney
ryan mcphail quinn houlihan
crowe lee

obviously id only trust one or two of them in the full squad

feel free to inform me of my stupidity in blatantly forgetting someone

theres certain restrictions for B teams.

i can't think of them off hand but after a certain number of Senior caps you can't play for the B team.

fonzi
28/04/2003, 2:14 PM
ah lads.
with only a couple from the league, it would be waste of time!
its gotta be eircom league based.
maybe?

sadloserkid
28/04/2003, 2:23 PM
I wouldn't go along with that Fonzi, I think it would be both demeaning to the eL and unfair to players in England on the fringes of the national team to be honest. It should still be purely on merit though Kerr would probably be open enough to use it to blood Barry and Bobby Ryan, Jason Byrne, John O'Flynn and probably a couple of others as well.