PDA

View Full Version : GUFC V. Waterford

Pages : [1] 2

MyTown
03/08/2007, 9:19 AM
So minor distractions out of the way and all that, but arent we playing Waterford tonight?

Can nobody please mention the words "home" and "win".............for a few hours at least?

Sumac
03/08/2007, 9:28 AM
How many here moving from the old to the new stand??

Tir Oilean
03/08/2007, 10:02 AM
I'm a traditionalist so will prob stay in section B/C in the long term but il try it out for awhile. It crossed my mind during the SundIreland match that it could destroy the atmosphere in the ground as our 1200 regulars could spread out greatly which will undoubtedly ruin the buzz. As for the game if we play like we did against Sundireland we should hockey them as they are a poor side. But our performances are so disjointed this season its hard to know. Despite this I'm predicting a first home win for United. 5 points ahead with a game in hand (albeit against Drogs) wont be a bad position to be in.

Tir Oilean
03/08/2007, 10:28 AM
Best bet hallf time full time, draw/GUFC 7/2.

Galway 5/6
Draw 21/10
Waterford 3/1
Derek Glynn is 5/1 to score first
All with Paddy Power.

MyTown
03/08/2007, 10:28 AM
I'm predicting a first home win for United.

Thanks TO.... a whole 43 minutes :(:D

Think you're right about the affect of the new stand btw. Without results, the place could take on an eerily empty feeling.

Tir Oilean
03/08/2007, 10:41 AM
It'll be awhile before both stands will be full again. But hopefully next year in the top flight for a second season (please god) we'll have a bigger budget and hence a bigger crowd. If you think about it we are averaging 1500 a game in 3rd from bottom place we'd have regular gates of 3k if we were well up there then we'd not have to worry about the atmosphere as the two stands would look healthy.

Torn-Ado
03/08/2007, 11:51 AM
It will be a draw I think.

Sumac
03/08/2007, 12:05 PM
Is there standing room at the back of the stand

GuisaSaigon
03/08/2007, 12:25 PM
Is there standing room at the back of the stand

In front of the new stand and at the back of the old.

gilberto_eire
03/08/2007, 1:36 PM

i presume its open till the end of the season for regular addmission??.... although i can see season tickets varying next year with differant tickets for new stand!!

gufct
03/08/2007, 4:06 PM
Yes it is and varying the prices would be crazy but maybe make it the season ticket stand.

GuisaSaigon
03/08/2007, 9:48 PM
2-1 Waterford. The most inept and irresponsible display I've ever seen on a football pitch. And that was just the referee:mad: How that idiot and his blind linesmen were ever let near a whistle I'll never know. It makes a mockery of anyone who invests time and money into the league to allow such useless excuses for human beings referee.:mad:
Thought most of the team actually played alright tonight but we never had a chance with the three blind mice in charge of the game:mad:

sligoman
03/08/2007, 9:57 PM
Who was ref/linesmen tonight?

Flano
03/08/2007, 10:10 PM
..agree the ref was poor but..
Waterford bullied Galway all over the pitch tonight and we all knew after 20 mins it wasn't going to change with the ref - it's up to the manager to make the team changes.

I spent first half in the new stand two seats away from Tony Cousins and he didn't say a word for 45 mins - he just sat there.

After 20 mins we all knew what was going on and he didn't send one message to the bench to get it changed.

United are too nice - pure and simple

So where to start..
no shape in midfield..Lester not match fit..Fagan kept getting pulled into the center so no width.

The game was crying out for Foley to get into midfield and kick ass- instead he's left sitting on the bench

Someone soon will have to realise that knocking long high balls up to the front guys doesn't work - Moran and Glynn are not strong enough.

I'm not one for getting on the managers case but Cousins looks like a man short on ideas when it comes to how to change the run of a game.

Jaysus it was a bad defeat

geezer
03/08/2007, 10:34 PM
to say the least. At half time everyone in the ground could see the midfield wasnt cutting it. Lester gives it all of that there is no doubt and the crowd applaud when he flies in to takles sliding all over the place because he physically just cant get their in time. 10 times out of 10 Johns sliding late challenges normally end up with possession for the other team. Foley shoudv been there and russell. Fagan does very little but id say he could play a bit with a bit of guile that can actually get there on time alongside him. Moran and Glynn dont stand a chance with football like we witnessed in the 1st half. I wish we could show togetherness like waterford as for the ref and his assistant, well you couldnt be surprised with the standard available at this league. about 6 home games left ,I was worried before the game as all fans who have truly followed utd over the years should be. Im demoralized tonite
the consequences of going down are grave another 5years of division 1 is like facing the abyss for those of us who have travelled the byroads of ireland in the 1st division the last 5 years. Nervous? any maroon blooded Utd fan is brickin it now. Anyone else just doesnt understand LOI Football

Ceirtlis
03/08/2007, 10:39 PM
For his own safety i hope that referee is not put in charge of any more eircom league matches after that display, the guy was absolutely clueless. He wouldnt get out alive if he performed like than and some of the grounds in the league. He let go some desperate tackles at the start of the match and by the second half he completly lost control. Derek O'Brien was absolutlely leveled on the sideline and he did nothing, Derek Glynn was pulled back running in on goal again nothing, their keeper made a save with his hands outside the box and he missed but how Barry Moran missed the resulting handball il never know, he missed 2 or 3 penalty shouts in the second half as well. Waterford could have 2 or 3 sent off. Even the little things he ****ed up like leaving O'Brien on the sideline for 2 or 3 minutes after he recovered from nearly being maimed and then he blew for full time when we had a corner.

It doesnt disguise the fact that it was another poor display though. Our build up play was poor again, everything either hoofed or going through Derek O'Brien who is always going for Hollywood moments instead of just getting in crosses into the bloody box. He tried 3 Ronaldinho esque volleys tonight and a diving header. None of them came off. Can someone not just tell him what his job is. And we could do with using the right wing abit more for a change ffs.
The confidence of the players seems really low at the moment, all the players seem to making the wrong decisions in vital areas. Its disappointing because inspite of them beating us twice this season i think we are better side than Waterford. We had alot of the play tonight and on another night would have won. Waterford were just able to maintain their composure at important times and were really up for the game.
I was disappointed in the players losing the head towards the end scuffling with Waterford only wasting our own time especially Gary Rogers who sprinted 50 yards from his goal a few times to get involved. He could have been sent off for his tangle with Vinny Sullivan as well.
On the plus side Greg O'Halloran looked good when he came on and id say he will be pushing to play from the start, he looked good when he came on against Sunderland imo.

geezer
03/08/2007, 10:58 PM
o halloran should be experienced but he was caught badly leaving 10 yards between himself and richardson last wednesday for the second goal. he was only just on mind you at that stage so could be forgiven. I am not impressed with a lot of the signings todate. Alan keane was probably the best Gwy player tonight and he is only back. brinias, lester, armstrong,yeboah, o'flynn and a host of others are very weak compared to local players and I know you cant win a league with local talent alone. But a bit more research on signings is required.

KoemansCC
03/08/2007, 11:12 PM
The first half was a total disaster, what is up with Murphs? he just wasn't at the ball park again tonight. We started brilliantly in the second half and if things were going our way we have scored a couple and the game would have been dead, instead it took an own goal to give us a lead and then we were caught out by two sucker punches. The managers tactics of playing in high balls to Glynn and Barry are just crazy as that is not the strong part of their games; they are both young lads with pace so the ball must be kept on the turf (does TC even realise Flynny is not up front lately).

I thought Alan Keane was man of the match tonight apart from one stray pass and being caught out of position once. If the rest of the players showed the commitment he did we would be grand, even considering he's back from a very serious injury.

TC's substitution of Wes for Foley was the weirdest part of the night, one, 12 minutes was not enough time for Foley to make a difference and two, Lester legs were gone with half an hour left, I think the most surprised person in the ground was Lester himself that his number wasn't raised :confused:.

As for the ref, I'm not going to dwell on his performance much but he let too much go too early and then lost total control. If the officials don't sort out the late tackles and professional fouls the players will and thats exactly what happened. I'm not blaming Waterford, their tactics were to come to Terryland and bully the home team and it worked for them and they got a result. I'm just glad no one was seriously hurt because of, as Saigon put it the three blind mice (they seen the tackles just chose not to act) were out of their depth.

The next few months are going to be tough, as someone said demorilised is the only way I feel right now. On a positive note Fitzgerald and O'Halloran are decent signings so hopefully we can get it together sooner rather than later.:o

KoemansCC
03/08/2007, 11:18 PM
Who was ref/linesmen tonight?

The official site says Derek Towmey, not too well versed on my officials, anyone heard of him?

Conor H
04/08/2007, 9:17 AM
Don't mind the ref.

The game was lost by the lack of bite and willigness from our wasters.None of these spoiled prats give a toss,with the exception of O Brien,Keane,Fagan and Foley.
When we lose games like this the most infuriating aspect to me is the fact that they're a full time outfit.
I mean what do they do all week?Bar be spolied rotten of course.No doubt we'll see a few of them in the local establishments tonight.Disgraceful.

Cousins is a spoofer aswell....a poor manager.No direction or ability to change things around when we're struggling.

eamo1
04/08/2007, 4:00 PM
you have to say theres pressure on him now.hes been given so many resources transfer funds,training facilities,full time set up etc and still we 2nd from bottom.taking off wes and leaving lester on was a v.poor decision.also not starting foley or russell was bad too.i was wondering last night what do they actually do in training sessions because there was absolutly no game plan for defending or attacking last night.
ref was the worst ever and in the LOI thats saying alot.

pixiehead
04/08/2007, 5:36 PM
Im actually ****sing my pants now im so worried. The fighting between players and the fighting with waterford showed cracks appearing already. When i got home from the game i watched the Sunderland Match on tape and i couldnt belive what i was seeing. How could we go fron that hearted display to the crap we saw last nite. Nobody is showing any leadership especially Cousins. I think the fact that the first 11 has never really been settled all season is no help, and if theres any chance Tony is reading this :rolleyes: one simple thing ..... GLYNN AND MORAN CAN ONLY WORK WITH BALL TO FEET + NO LONG BALLS = MORE GOALS. simple really

Tir Oilean
04/08/2007, 7:52 PM
Im no expert and Ive never done training courses through UEFA, but I could tell what substitutions were needed and when. It was very frustrating watching that muck last night and it came to a point that I nearly left the ground with 15mis to go. The ref was atrocious and it seems the anti Galway campaign because of the route of our promotion has filtered through to this guy. Linesmen need to grow a pair of balls and make their own decisions. Cousins should shape up or ship out. He seems to have lost his squad. And yes Conor H I saw some squad members out today after returning from the races. But in fairness theyre entitled to a few beers like all the rest of us.

Conor H
04/08/2007, 7:57 PM
Of course they are.

We're paying for their beers though.;)

Back in Monday morning for training and to be waited on hand and foot.Waterford,Bray,Longford,UCD,Rovers are all back to work.
It's embarassing really to see how bad we're doing.:(

Tir Oilean
04/08/2007, 8:27 PM
Beers and all the fancy suits and hair dos. We certtainly are not gettig value for money on our investment in the club. I am aware of 2 people who will not buy season tickets next season and im sure there are more people of the same mindset. If things dont improve drastically there are going to be job losses to announced in Galway in the near future.

Tir Oilean
04/08/2007, 9:00 PM
Check this out Longdord have hockeyed Bohs 3-0. They have started the great escape.

GuisaSaigon
04/08/2007, 10:33 PM
under pressure:(

gufcfan
04/08/2007, 11:13 PM
I fear that we will be battling it out with waterford for last and 2nd last come the end of the season. Bray are much more capable of picking up the points. Utd too are capable... but god nos if it will happen in time

gufcfan
04/08/2007, 11:49 PM

I like the view from the new stand but im goin back to my usual spot halfway between clubhouse and halfway line next time.

Everyone moving to new stand is killing atmosphere.

Until we can hope improve attendances we should try to stick with the old stand. let the fairweathers have the new yoke.

gilberto_eire
04/08/2007, 11:55 PM
why is everyone accusing fairweathers of been in the new stand the last day and now ''let them have it' unless everyone has forgotton we're past half way this season and sitting pretty in 2nd bottom to call anyone whos been at the home games till now a fair weather is bad taste IMO. only games fair-weathers were at, was the 1st 1 or 2 games and the cork game cause of the day and heat.

gufcfan
05/08/2007, 12:59 AM
why is everyone accusing fairweathers of been in the new stand the last day and now ''let them have it'

I apologise for not indicating that i was not being serious. I couldnt give a sh*t where people sit as long as they come!

Claret Murph
05/08/2007, 5:02 AM
OK so we have to take it on the chin we were beaten on Friday the hard part was the fact that the key games have been Bray & Waterford at home and we lost them both end of story . Now I could go on but what upset me was was near the end of the first half Murphy got the ball with no one with 10 yards of him if he ran at the defence he had Barry and Glynn left and right so what does he do , yes kicks it out to DOB and it sails out for a throw . That summed it up for me .

Tir Oilean
05/08/2007, 9:15 AM
I posted a couple of weeks back that we needed 6pts from Bray and Waterford. Not much to ask for imo. We got none. That sums it up for me.

Terry
05/08/2007, 9:18 AM
if things continue the way they are we will soon be facing going straight down to the first division again.....

half_full
05/08/2007, 9:30 AM
If I was a Galway fan id want Cousins out TBH. Its not as if ye have the worst squad in the league + fulltime football. I hope ye stay up, the more full-time clubs the better. Nice ground btw.

corbyeire
06/08/2007, 1:09 PM
For his own safety i hope that referee is not put in charge of any more eircom league matches after that display, the guy was absolutely clueless. He wouldnt get out alive if he performed like than and some of the grounds in the league. He let go some desperate tackles at the start of the match and by the second half he completly lost control. Derek O'Brien was absolutlely leveled on the sideline and he did nothing, Derek Glynn was pulled back running in on goal again nothing, their keeper made a save with his hands outside the box and he missed but how Barry Moran missed the resulting handball il never know, he missed 2 or 3 penalty shouts in the second half as well. Waterford could have 2 or 3 sent off. Even the little things he ****ed up like leaving O'Brien on the sideline for 2 or 3 minutes after he recovered from nearly being maimed and then he blew for full time when we had a corner.

It doesnt disguise the fact that it was another poor display though. Our build up play was poor again, everything either hoofed or going through Derek O'Brien who is always going for Hollywood moments instead of just getting in crosses into the bloody box. He tried 3 Ronaldinho esque volleys tonight and a diving header. None of them came off. Can someone not just tell him what his job is. And we could do with using the right wing abit more for a change ffs.
The confidence of the players seems really low at the moment, all the players seem to making the wrong decisions in vital areas. Its disappointing because inspite of them beating us twice this season i think we are better side than Waterford. We had alot of the play tonight and on another night would have won. Waterford were just able to maintain their composure at important times and were really up for the game.
I was disappointed in the players losing the head towards the end scuffling with Waterford only wasting our own time especially Gary Rogers who sprinted 50 yards from his goal a few times to get involved. He could have been sent off for his tangle with Vinny Sullivan as well.
On the plus side Greg O'Halloran looked good when he came on and id say he will be pushing to play from the start, he looked good when he came on against Sunderland imo.

youve summed up a lot of what im thinking - few positives - lot of negatives

eamo1
06/08/2007, 1:43 PM
especially with keane back now.i think he only changed it bacause of a shortage of midfielders but now he has plenty.its not just the formation thats the problem though its the whole attitude of everyone,spoiled ponces.

inthestand99
06/08/2007, 3:56 PM
:ball:Some serious changes need to be made on the pitch. How about this for a starting 11 on Friday.
Rogers
O Halloran
Fitzgerald
Nootimeer
Keane
Fagan
Foley
Lester
O'Brien
Glynn
O;Flynn
Reasons: Wez is just too laid back and persiets in the hoofing. Alan Keane is back to his solid best. O' Halloran has a bit of bite just like Foley and Fagan. Lester played his best game in the maroon on Friday night. Barry Moran seems to have lost his way, his first touch is terrible and he not making any impression atm.We are running out of games and excuses.

gilberto_eire
06/08/2007, 4:17 PM
:ball:Some serious changes need to be made on the pitch. How about this for a starting 11 on Friday.
Rogers
O Halloran
Fitzgerald
Nootimeer
Keane
Fagan
Foley
Lester
O'Brien
Glynn
O;Flynn
Reasons: Wez is just too laid back and persiets in the hoofing. Alan Keane is back to his solid best. O' Halloran has a bit of bite just like Foley and Fagan. Lester played his best game in the maroon on Friday night. Barry Moran seems to have lost his way, his first touch is terrible and he not making any impression atm.We are running out of games and excuses.

i agree with wes and moran but in all fairness Foley just isnt good enough...he's on the market for a reason he cant play the game when we have the ball only when we need it, you need players who can do both, ciaran cant simple as....are main problem is scoring goals, having him there reduces the chance even further..

as for lester, tried and tested at this stage gives the ball away too much like foley having that midfield is a recipe for disaster IMO.

im still p*ssed off at tracey not been given a run down the left, the fellas not 17 Tony give him a game there and put derek on the side he should be with his natural foot!!

then for once we'd have 2 wingers on the natural sides...instead of barry on the right and derek on the left!

Conor H
06/08/2007, 5:32 PM
:We are running out of games and excuses.

Nail on the head.

Cousins has 3 games to save his job,or at least he should have anyway.

Nothing but 6 points out of UCD,Drogs and Sligo will suffice.

All the hard work and progress made over the last few years hinges on the current freeloaders and inept management we have at present.

If we had a good manager and a team full of Keane's,Fagan's,foley's and O Brien's we'd be comfortably sitting in 7th or 8th.

A full time team shouldn't be doing as poorly as we are.Serious pressure on Cousins to deliver over the next 2 weeks.1 point at home from Longford,Bray and Waterford is pathetic.

Poor Student
06/08/2007, 5:36 PM

Ourselves versus yourselves is a bit of a six pointer. If you beat us then the gap will be narrowed and the situation for you won't appear so bad but if we beat you the gap with the teams above will start to open. Not sure how you expect you beat Sligo or Drogs on top of us.

Conor H
06/08/2007, 5:41 PM
Well Sligo is a derby and it's at home so it's a perfect game for the lads to win at home.However that's highly unlikely considering we can't beat pub teams like Waterford.

Away from home we're a different story so one can only hope we somehow nick 3 points against Drogs.:o

We've had a few 6 pointers this year..
Bray(A)Won.:eek:
Longford(H)Drew
Longford(A)Won-Comfortably
The 2 most important crunch ties for us were..
Bray(H)Lost
Waterford(H)Lost.

Another loss to UCD on Friday and i'd say we'd be odds on for the automatic drop despite been 16 points ahead of Longford only a few weeks ago.
No doubt the team will give a 100% in a meaningless friendly on Wednesday then go out and mearely turn up against UCD.

Maroon 7
06/08/2007, 7:55 PM
Long time reader but only recently got around to registering so go easy on me lads.:D

Firstly, last Friday was very depressing. Granted it was probably the worst display of referring I've seen in my life (and I've seen some bad ones) but the general team display wasn't good enough either against a very limited Waterford side.

The story of our season for home games in Terryland has been one of conceding ridiculously soft goals in games where generally we have been better than the opposition or at least as good as them in general play. Against Waterford the same old problem. United all over Waterford like a bad suit. Waterford get a free-kick out on the wing during a rare visit into the United half and float a gentle ball into the box where it is met by the head of a Waterford player with nobody within 3 yards of him. He was standing dead centre in the middle of the box and nobody picking him up. A joke.

The second goal was even worse. More incessant United pressure. Wave after wave of attacks on the Waterford goal. Ball is cleared upfield and picked up by a Waterford player 35 yards from our goal. With everyone in the stand screaming for someone to close him down he is left to wander aimlessly (much to his own shock) straight into the United penalty area to slot it past Rogers. Not one United player managed to get a tackle in or even attempted one. They all left it for someone else to do. Shocking stuff.

Cousins is treading on very thin ice IMO. United's squad should at least be somewhere around midtable yet if Longford hadn't been docked points we'd now be rooted to the foot of the table. Cousins hasn't shown that he can organise a team properly yet and why he persists on hoofing scud missiles down upon small nippy strikers I've yet to figure out. Not winning at home all season is shambolic. Not that that absolves the players from blame. Some of them are just not up to it and the ones that are good enough for this level are proving too inconsistent.

By the way that ref isn't fit to ref indoor soccer let alone a game of prefessional football. He was an absolute thundering disgrace and would have been chased out of some of the grounds in the country if he repeated that performance.

inthestand99
06/08/2007, 9:23 PM
:ball:The ref was not the reason we lost last Friday! He was s... but we cant keep using things like that as an excuse for an extraordinarily inept display from a fully proffesional squad who have been afforded every support and perk available. They are probably the best looked after squad in the league but we are now at the business end of the season. Every game in the run in is now a six pointer because we have not yet stepped up to the plate. We should be home and dry by now! A lot of people took the p... out of Sligo at the start of the season when they were managerless and in apparent turmoil, but now they are in European territory. If Longford hadnt lost the six points we would be really in the sh... UCD are a very well organised side and gave more than a good account of themselves tonight against a wounded St Pats. Wont be easy to get anything out of that one. Only hope our away form continues. The team needs someone with, dare I say it, Billys attitude and commitment on the pitch to take control of games and push us on. I know Foley is on the list but he is a terrier in the middle. Oh to have Raf back. Wednesday night ,while it offers us a chance to distract ourselves from the realities of survival for a few hours should be used to tinker with the formation a little bit and explore a few options. Nothing ventured , nothing gained. Celtic will have a few guys playing for places and getting back to fittness so should not be found wanting. Hope the opportunity is not wasted. Time to stand up and be counted lads. Give us something to cheer about lads and deliver. Premier division off the park......... time to act premier division on the park before it is too late. What odds on three points Friday night!!!!!!!

Tir Oilean
06/08/2007, 9:43 PM
No one is using the ref as an excuse. The posts are merely stating what is fact regarding the referees performance.

Conor H
06/08/2007, 9:56 PM
One thing that annoys quite a few people i've spoken to is the fact that the players are spoiled rotten and have consistently gave nothing back.

They're treated like royalty and some of them wouldn't be good enough for Monaghan UTD.With the few exceptions most of them are here for the money.
No pride in playing for UTD-and once again that boils down to Cousins.
Rovers players give 1000% percent each week because they have pride in playing for Rovers which is instilled into them by Scully.They're a part time outfit who only finished 3 points ahead of us last year and look were they are.

Tony insists on the best possible treatment for our "players" and what have they given back?Thye should be ashamed of themselves.
It's really frightening knowing the future of GUFC is in the hands of the current squad and managment.Survival or not only a few have done enough to be offered contracts next year.

Tir Oilean
06/08/2007, 9:58 PM
especially with keane back now.i think he only changed it bacause of a shortage of midfielders but now he has plenty.its not just the formation thats the problem though its the whole attitude of everyone,spoiled ponces.

Ya I agree. It might seem like were graspig at straws but we are.

6pts from the next 3 games Conor H is all well and good but we should have garnered that many is the last 3. I think if we even survive the Mgt must move along.

Conor H
06/08/2007, 10:01 PM
Ya I agree. It might seem like were graspig at straws but we are.

6pts from the next 3 games Conor H is all well and good but we should have garnered that many is the last 3. I think if we even survive the Mgt must move along.

I'm not disagreeing.No matter where we finish it's been a poor season and TC has failed on his own low targets.I wouldn't keep the current Managment and Coaching staff for next year.
As we have painfully seen they're not up to much.

Tir Oilean
06/08/2007, 10:02 PM
One thing that annoys quite a few people i've spoken to is the fact that the players are spoiled rotten and have consistently gave nothing back.

They're treated like royalty and some of them wouldn't be good enough for Monaghan UTD.With the few exceptions most of them are here for the money.
No pride in playing for UTD-and once again that boils down to Cousins.
Rovers players give 1000% percent each week because they have pride in playing for Rovers which is instilled into them by Scully.They're a part time outfit who only finished 3 points ahead of us last year and look were they are.

Tony insists on the best possible treatment for our "players" and what have they given back?Thye should be ashamed of themselves.
It's really frightening knowing the future of GUFC is in the hands of the current squad and managment.Survival or not only a few have done enough to be offered contracts next year.

Well said POTM

gufcfan
06/08/2007, 10:56 PM
Cousins has 3 games to save his job,or at least he should have anyway.

All the hard work and progress made over the last few years hinges on the current freeloaders and inept management we have at present.

If we had a good manager and a team full of Keane's,Fagan's,foley's and O Brien's we'd be comfortably sitting in 7th or 8th.

Well said