PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Bands of all time???

Saint32001
01/04/2003, 8:33 PM
here's my 3 and remember they have to be bands and think bout it!!!
1 THE BEATLES
2 QUEEN
3THE DOORS

sadloserkid
02/04/2003, 8:32 AM
In my less than humble opinion the three best bands of all time are Guns N'Roses, Counting Crows and then it's a toss up between Husker Du, The Goo Goo Dolls (forget about Iris and get their early to mid 90's stuff) and Soul Asylum. Best Irish band are Therapy? or Snow Patrol, best Australasian band are Crowded House, narrowly ahead of INXS, best European band are HIM or The Backyard Babies, best British bands are Led Zeppelin, Queen and Def Leppard.

gustavo
02/04/2003, 9:03 AM
i dont know about the best three ever but my favorite three ever are oasis nirvana and the pixies . obviously a top ten would be better cos theres a lot of great bands that i didnt put in that

cfcgirl
02/04/2003, 9:03 AM
1u2
20asis
3beatles

Badweather Fan
02/04/2003, 9:46 AM
Originally posted by cfcgirl
1u2
20asis
3beatles
Je trouve bien avec le declaraion de cfcgirl.
Maybe different order or maybe new order.:rolleyes:
Ah slk no man, Counting Crows.
No.
Going to Killarney for them amd the Cranberries.
Think Cranberries are supporting which is a disgrace so we'll be getting the early bus home.
Anyway i'd be
1.U2
2.Beatles
3.Oasis.
But i'll be back later on in this thread to totally change my mind.

sadloserkid
02/04/2003, 9:50 AM
Crows and Cranberries? Sounds like a fun evening but will depend on the old € situation a little nearer the time...

eoinh
02/04/2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
best Australasian band are Crowded House

There from New Zealand slk! its like calling an irish man an englishman. i have a great mix of a crowded house number - ill send it to you.
;)

eoinh
02/04/2003, 10:51 AM
the Byrds, The Beatles and Xtc

with radiohead, the rolling stones, the kinks, the beach boys and the moody blues following them up.

eoinh
02/04/2003, 11:21 AM

As for Radiohead they peaked with 'The Bends' and shot their remaining load with 'Ok Computer'.

im one of the few who prefers ok computer to the bends.

their next two albums were really the same project so i think well see more goodies from radiohead mark my words.

**** weetabix :D

thats just imperialist propaganda.

Places like Nauru, Micronesia , Palau and Kiribati arent in Australia and arent in Asia so where are they ;)

ild say that e-mail will take some time to come in :D :D

fosterdollar
02/04/2003, 12:07 PM
1) The Stone Roses
2) U2
3) The Verve (just Verve really cos i'm basing this mainly on Northern Soul)

ps i know these arent 'the best bands in the world ever' cos who the fuk knows the answer to that? but they're my favourite at least. Would also go for previously mentioned ones like the doors, pixies,.... Any Madchester bands deserve honourable mentions too.

steven17
02/04/2003, 12:38 PM
NO.1.u2
NO.2.guns n roses
NO.2.NO.3.counting crows

cant wait for that concert in killarney tikets on sale from friday saw um in the point great show if your a crows fan dont miss.

Ruairi
07/04/2003, 11:55 AM
1) Chili Peppers
2) Rage Against the Machine
3) Korn/green day

SÓC
07/04/2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Ruairi, do you go skateboarding in outside the Paul Street Shopping Centre, by any chance.

Surely you dont have something against Ska Punk do you Conor?
Mine would be

1. U2
2. Green Day
3. REM

Notable mention must go to the Cockney Rejects, and their brand of Oi Football Punk in the 80's. They were all mad West Ham fans, some great football tunes.

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 1:21 PM
WHAT is "ska punk"?

Three words for you Conor - Less Than Jake

SÓC
07/04/2003, 3:04 PM
WHAT is "ska punk"?

I liked "ska" and I liked "punk" - bands like The Specials and The Sex Pistols and The Stranglers etc.

Bands like Greenday and Sublime, a tone down from the Sexpistols.

Songs like Basket Case and Poprocks and Coke from Greenday are classics

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 3:11 PM
I like Green Day but Ska Punk they ain't! Pop punk they be and a good example of it too. Ska Punk would also include the Mighty Mighty Bosstones in my less than humble opinion! :cool:

SÓC
07/04/2003, 3:23 PM
Ahh thats unfair, they might be more popy than most ska punk but they make their money that way.

Songs like Good Riddance are just pure pop but they have their fiar share of true real punk songs. GooGoo Dolls had Iris ergo they are a pop band? Everyband needs commercial material to line their pockets.

sadloserkid
07/04/2003, 3:30 PM
You misunderstand me, I mean no offence by the word pop. Bands like the Jellyfish and The Fountains of Wayne are basically pop bands but they're great. By pop punk I meant that whole genre of bands like Green Day, Blink 182, Fenix Tx, New Found Glory, Bowling For Soup and so on. They're all good bands when they're on form. Louis Walshe style dance pop is putrid rubbish but most ofthe worlds great music is basically pop. Hope that clears everything up! ;)

Martystapo
07/04/2003, 4:05 PM
1. chillis
2.Foo Fighters
3. Nirvana
4.Metallica

EireBadBoy
08/04/2003, 12:53 AM
Well picking 3 Bands out of the 100's of All time greats is seriously hard.
I'll pretend I can only have 3 Bands in my CD Collection:

(1) The Beatles, obvious choice.
(2) House Of Pain, a strange choice you might think but I love them and they did have more than 'Jump Around' :)
(3) The White Stripes, Best of the modern age. I was thinking of adding Oasis but have to think about the last couple of Albums. If it was '96 when I went to see them in Cork they would have been No.1, and on that note.........

Also noticed Cork people have a great taste in Music, I love Crowded House and Rage Against The Machine (diversity is great) and hate Ska-Pop-Punk also known as Nu-Metal, what trash! Would'nt mind getting that Mix of C.House that was mentioned.

Finally,
Best Irish Band Of All Time: JJ72, I cannae stand U2 and Bono the pretentious p***k, Snow Patrol are alright but not up there with the 72.

P.S The line up for Witnness is **** this year:mad:

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 8:10 AM
JJ72? You're kidding right? Tell me you're kidding? Now that Hilary's left they're not even fun to watch any more!!!

Pauro 76
08/04/2003, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eoinh
im one of the few who prefers ok computer to the bends.

their next two albums were really the same project so i think well see more goodies from radiohead mark my words.

It took a while to get used to, but i reckon Kid A is a totally awesome album, not as good as OK Computer (Treefingers is still the worst song they’ve done) but its one of those albums you write off at the time, and then it hits you. Cant wait for the new album, think its out in the summer...

After all that, my top 3 bands:

Radiohead
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
(Stone Roses bubbling under..., Oasis wouldve made it but for their last few middling albums)

Macy
08/04/2003, 10:42 AM
Roses, Mondays, Charlie's......

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Roses, Mondays, Charlie's......

Stone... Happy... Angels? :confused:

eoinh
08/04/2003, 10:55 AM
Yeah conor, i agree Oasis are crap. There stuff is just their old stuff regurgitated which was rip-offs of other peoples stuffin the first place. Although a lot of the bands you mention there are also fairly dodgy imo.

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 10:58 AM
What about The Black Crowes? I like 'em, tis music to make out to. ;)

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 11:02 AM
I would just like to know what puts Oasis up there?

Champagne Supernova?

And lest I forget Little by Little, the only Oasis product I've ever bought.

Macy
08/04/2003, 11:11 AM
Stone... Happy... Angels? :confused:
Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans.....

Manchester La La La

:cool:

Pauro 76
08/04/2003, 11:24 AM
I would just like to know what puts Oasis up there?

the entire first album “Definitely Maybe”? “Whatever”, their finest song? but i agree they are cr*p now. They simply havent moved on like all decent bands,

The Sheliban
08/04/2003, 11:27 AM
Predictably.....

1] The Clash - brilliant live, brilliant in the studio. Good tunes, energy, politics.

2] The Ramones - I defy anyone to put on a Ramones CD and not feel better. The ultimate power-pop band - crap lyrics, but that was part of their charm.

3] The Rolling Stones - Between 64 and 70 they brought out some of the best singles ever, and they don't sound dated today [well, not much]

Honourable mentions to The Rezillos, New York Dolls, Velvet Underground

gustavo
08/04/2003, 11:28 AM
id have to disagree with them being crap now because if any1 else had made their last album they would have been heralded as the next big thing. it s just that their first 2 albums set such high standards they were bound to lose some quality. the last two albums have been good quality music and i stand by that statement. :D

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by The Sheliban
The Ramones

There's a Ramones tribute night in Limerick today week. Doubt you can make it but you can't say I didn't tell you! My own group are playing as well as about 8-9 others, we all do 3-4 Ramones songs, noe of us get paid and all proceeds go to a lymphomic cancer charity. This is the second year it's been organised.

Originally posted by Gustavo
i stand by that statement

Yeah but you stand by Eminem too!!! :D

The Sheliban
08/04/2003, 11:44 AM
SLK,

You're right - not a snowball's chance of making it, which is a shame.
Would be interested in buying the CD though!!

sadloserkid
08/04/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by The Sheliban
SLK,

You're right - not a snowball's chance of making it, which is a shame.
Would be interested in buying the CD though!!

I have a dodgy copy of last years floating around. No track listing even so you won't know who's who... mail me at sadloserkid@hotmail.com and we'll sort something out though?

Macy
08/04/2003, 12:29 PM
I would put the Definitely Maybe right up there in my all time list, but it was down hill from there..... Morning Glory was okay, Be Here Now absolute sh!te, Standing on the Shoulders marginally better (F*ckin in the Bushes was good), Heathren Chemistry okayish.... Basically Definitely maybe is the only one I'd put on to listen too...

Blur - Their First Album was good, Blur was excellent I thought, and Parklife had it's moments - the rest very iffy, with the Great Escape tripe....

Suede - I've always found them very hit and miss, couldn't really listen to the albums....

Supergrass are excellent, although I prefer the latter stuff to I Should CoCo.....

One of my favourite bands of that era was the always underrated Boo Radleys - pity that Wake Up Boo effectively killed them, by setting an expectation they could never live with....

Macy
08/04/2003, 12:54 PM
In fairness to the Bluetones they had a few good songs and were excellent live.....

Wake Up was catchy enough, but it blew what was a very good indie band (That was off their third or forth album) out into the mainstream, and they simple didn't have the songs to live up to the new found hype.... Ultimately the pressure to produce split the band....

Yes it was the Charlatans that had the song Over Rising, backed by the excellent If You Happen to Die.....

Definately rate 808 State, although I did go more the guitar direction out of that whole scene - Voodoo Ray is an all time classic, and it could be argued kicked off the whole Madchester/ House explosion....

What about MC Tunes? Trying to think of the band he came back with that were also very good.....

Macy
08/04/2003, 1:09 PM
Remembered the name of the band - The Dust Junkies.... Excellent album - Living in the Pocket of a Drug Queen was the main single from it if I remember correctly, although Remember was my fav.....

eoinh
08/04/2003, 1:17 PM
Another one hit wonder of Britpop were The Bluetones (I think) - they had a catchy enough song but the name escapes.

Weird, i had just put down the last album i listened to on the table - it was The Bluetones.
They are still going strong and have had a few good hits.

Are you Blue or are you Blind, Bluetonic, slight Return, Cut some rug, Marblehead johnson, solomon bites the worm....

Ild recommend you get The Singles by the Bluetones, Conor, its excellent. Right up your street ild say Conor.

Pauro 76
08/04/2003, 1:17 PM
Blur.... Parklife was very very overated, Great Escape too.. Blur i agree was brilliant, 13 was very dull...the new single “Out of Time” is excellent though, but Blur are mostly a good singles band IMO.

Supergrass are excellent, In It For The Money one of my fave albums, and the two albums after that are quite good too. Theylll always be known for “Alright” by most, which really p!sses me off as its qwu

that Bluetones song was “Slight Return”, great track it was too...

Pauro 76
08/04/2003, 1:38 PM
The Supergrass one I like, and I'm relying on you young whippersnappers to tell me the name, goes "if you want to go out" (that could even be the name) and had a video of them playing on a bandstand in a town park.

that ones called errr... “Going Out”, loved the video for “Late in the Day” the one with the pogo sticks...

Macy
08/04/2003, 1:57 PM
Macy - what was your take on the whole "are the Charlatans just bad Stone Roses" debate?
Extremely harsh on the Charlatans, and I'd say that they've done more than enough to shake off that undeserved tag....
The first two albums do sound a bit dated now (mainly due to the production I'd say) but still contain some great songs, and tbh their sound was never that similar to the roses in the first place....

Badweather Fan
09/04/2003, 10:47 AM
Slight Return is classic.
Why is Manchester a haven for good music?
Heathen Chemistry was good.
Stop Crying Your Heart Out was excellent and i don't see how anyone can say Heathen Chemistry or Standing on the bla bla bla blas was a regurgitation of the first two.
If anything, they've suffered for trying to go a different direction.

Macy
09/04/2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Badweather Fan
Why is Manchester a haven for good music?
Because as the Carpets would say it's Cool As F*ck, and obviously the people are the most talented bunch of individuals in the world :D (except for siddy fans obv.)

sadloserkid
09/04/2003, 11:11 AM
It's like Seattle and grunge or Minneapolis and garage punk shenanigans if you want to give examples from across the pond.

Dricky
09/04/2003, 11:13 AM
Time Alcohol and a misspent youth is basically what Conor is saying

sadloserkid
09/04/2003, 11:21 AM
In Seattle, I'm sure people could argue the toss over Pearl Jam or Nirvana or whoever.

Actually Alice In Chains kicked down the doors to to the mainstream pop charts with 'Man In A Box' before Kurt and Eddie had perfected their whines!