PDA

View Full Version : Mullen

Oh No
01/04/2003, 5:58 PM
A few things on the EL Message board about Stephen Mullen signing for Sligo.

I hope it's an April Fools joke otherwise it's panic stations.

gustavo
02/04/2003, 9:50 AM
yeah according to our forum he has signed for us .
Is he any good?

Ash
02/04/2003, 9:59 AM
Sh!te, its on the official www.scumgorangers.com website
that Stephen has signed!

Thats a disaster unless we manages to clone 3 Andy Mylers
and sign them all.

Aye, he's a good players alright, lighting fast. Better
playing on the wing i.m.h.o. but scored a lot of goals
when partnering Myler up front.

Oh No
02/04/2003, 3:03 PM
Paper says Jimmy is desperately looking for another striker, then Stephen Mullen our best striker leaves for Sligo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, what was already an alarming situation has become a crisis.

Where are we with this local policy if we can't keep the best locals with the club? What in God's name is more attractive in Sligo, Galway, Longford etc? Is it the terms, condititions or what? Why can't we be at least as attractive?

It's time for the club to get the act together and fix this.

atfconline
02/04/2003, 3:20 PM
While its a pity to see him go, its hardly the end of the world. He wasn't even our top scorer last season, let along the Division's. He has been with Athlone for a fair while by now, maybe he just wants a change. Most of the other locals playing with other teams are playing in the Premier Division. All the best to him anyways.

Mikey McCann has signed from Kildare. Jimmy is also looking to try get a young fella on loan from a Premier Division club. As well as Mullin leaving, Henry Kenny has also left the Club...

Athlone Town's frantic search for a new goalkeeper has finally come to a successful end with news that last season's number one, David Moran, has done a dramatic uturn and decided to re-sign for the club instead of moving to Drogheda United. It was anticipated that Moran would definitely sign for the Boynesiders after discussing a move with their boss, Harry McCue. The former Athlone star offered Moran a contract and he was on trial with Drogheda for a few weeks. However, Jimmy Greene told the Westmeath Independent that the guarantee of first team football swayed Moran's mind. "When David was talking to Drogheda I tried to persuade him that Athlone was the place for him. He seized up everything and even though they made him a good offer, he opted for us. It's a great boost to have him back," said Greene. It is thought that Moran would have been used as back up for regular Drogheda keeper Gary Rogers.

NEW PLAYER
Meanwhile, Athlone have sealed the signing of former Kildare County striker, Michael McCann. He's been on trial with the Town for the past couple of weeks and joins other new boys Stephen Gavin, and Shane Jackson in Athlone's ranks. Greene is also desperate to sign another striker before Saturday week's big kick off when Athlone face Cobh Ramblers at St. Mel's Park. "I'm in constant contact with Premier Division clubs and I want to get somebody, possibly a young striker who has something to prove, on loan. I think it will prove fruitful in the end. I think if we had a prolific striker last season we could've had at least ten more points," said the Town manager. Henry Kenny, who figured for the first team last season, has parted company with the club, while Adrian Carberry and Gary Devine will miss the first month of the new season through injury. Greene added: "I think everybody is looking forward to the season. The change to Summer soccer lifts everyone and the launch of our new stadium, which went superbly, has given fresh enthusiasm and belief to the place. "I would like to have more strength in depth but I'm sure plenty of young players will improve more this season and do well. We're determined to work very hard and enjoy the season." The Town's third pre-season outing takes place at Baldonnel in Dublin on Thursday night when they face St. Patrick's Athletic. They will also face Limerick on Sunday at St. Mel's Park (kick off 12 p.m.).

The first game of the season at home to Cobh Ramblers will take place on Saturday 12th April 2003. The change of date is at Cobh's request, and is not a permanent move.

Oh No
03/04/2003, 12:52 PM
Stephen was the most consistent player for the last few years and will be very sorely missed. I'm sure he was a crucial part of Jimmy's plans for the season.

I hope I'm proved wrong but we are going to find goals hard to come by without his probing runs.

Anyway, Stephen the best of luck in Sligo, they obviously possess some attraction which is totally missing in Athlone.

Macy
03/04/2003, 1:07 PM
Originally posted by Oh No
What in God's name is more attractive in Sligo, Galway, Longford etc? Is it the terms, condititions or what? Why can't we be at least as attractive?
Well Longford has premier division football, and I'd suspect better terms and conditions.... Galway have a better chance than you of going up, but I'm a bit stumped by sligo being a better bet for an scumlone local - O'Riordan perhaps?

Ash
03/04/2003, 1:44 PM
I agree with Macy (shock, horror ;) ) about Longford being
a more attrictive prospect on account of Premier Division football
and Galway having a better chance of promotion.

Paddy Mul for example, I was talking to him ages ago about
joining Athlone and he was saying he needs to be playing
Premier to keep in with the Internationl side, which is fair enough.

Id say David Moran would have went to Drogs for the same
reason only for McCue wanted him to actually move to Drogheda
and only be backup for the 1st team.

As for Stephen, dunno what kinda cash/terms Scumgo offered,
but I heard he got a job in Sligo so, if true, Id say that has a lot
do with it ... pains me to say it too but he has a better chance of
promotion there as well

Hope he does well ... except against us :D

renegAde
04/04/2003, 8:56 AM
I just read this now and it's terrible news for the club.

Stephen was easily our best option up front last season, in fact he was probably the most consistent player we had throughout the year. With him gone and nobody worthwhile coming in it's looks like this could be another nightmare season for the Town :(

Peace,
Ade

gustavo
12/04/2003, 1:17 AM
well i can tell ye for a fact that gavin is useless but then again ye probably already knew that!