PDA

View Full Version : Future Cream of the Crop in LOI

Pages : [1] 2

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 5:44 PM
Just been thinking about the current situation of clubs in the league and were they are heading, what backing they enjoy and other drivers and it's clear that a cream of the crop is developing. Not that this is a good thing, but it's better than when all the clubs were all essentially fecked a few years back.

Bohs
Drogs
Dundalk
Cork City
Galway Utd
Saint Pats

That's my list of power clubs in the LOI in the future.

all the other clubs will be nipping at their toes for many years to come I suspect.

LeixlipRed
01/08/2007, 5:47 PM
One of those clubs are still in the 1st Division and another one of them are in a relegation battle in the Premier

micls
01/08/2007, 5:54 PM
Its definitely a biased list cos Rovers should definitely be on it

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 6:07 PM
How did you get Galway and Dundalk in there?

Three years ago you could have put Shels and Longford in there, the league is boom and bust

LeixlipRed
01/08/2007, 6:09 PM
Longford were never the "cream of the crop"

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 6:11 PM
neither were drogs but on a trophy basis you would put them in at the mo and no Derry there either, btw what the point of this thread?

LeixlipRed
01/08/2007, 6:17 PM
Oh it has no point

Flawless
01/08/2007, 7:03 PM
I reckon that given a few years, like Boh_So_Good says, Dundalk will be a so-called "Power Club", everything is in place on, and off the field to challenge at the highest level,all we need is the promotion!!,i reckon we could do a Rovers next season providing we go up, and be challenging for a top 5 place.

I also reckon that Derry and should be inclufded,not sure about Rovers though due to thir continuing uncertainty. Interesting Thread though.

superfrank
01/08/2007, 7:04 PM
btw what the point of this thread?
So the Bohs fans can boast about all the money they have to spend.

hoops1
01/08/2007, 8:41 PM
27k a week on wages and they are still 4th:D

SligoBrewer
01/08/2007, 8:58 PM
27k a week on wages and they are still 4th:D

only 2 points ahead of us remember;)

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 9:31 PM
I reckon that given a few years, like Boh_So_Good says, Dundalk will be a so-called "Power Club", everything is in place on, and off the field to challenge at the highest level,all we need is the promotion!!,i reckon we could do a Rovers next season providing we go up, and be challenging for a top 5 place.

Dundalk are a sleeping giant IMHO.

Shamrock Rovers lost their moment of resurection and it has passed by them now for good. There are like the ghost of a dead sailor walking the decks of the Bismark at the bottom of the sea who doesn't know he is dead yet.

I also reckon that Derry and should be inclufded,not sure about Rovers though due to thir continuing uncertainty. Interesting Thread though.

Derry are still and old timey LOI club in terms of their business structure. They have good players and great support base, but they are still too much of a 'mom and pop' operation. I think that's a very deep rooted cultural thing at the Brandywell and will be unlikely to change. There is a lot I admire about Derry City FC, but they are a conservative club with little real ambition to grow. I suspect this was a major factor in Stephen Kenny going to Scotland.

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 9:41 PM
neither were drogs but on a trophy basis you would put them in at the mo and no Derry there either, btw what the point of this thread?

History does not matter. Surely Shamrock Rovers proves that. You do not win leagues in the future by getting misty-eyed about the past. A glorious past is shag all use to a club - it looking ahead that matters.

I included Galway and Dundalk because they are hungry and understand what it takes to get there. No harm there. It's not entirely about money, it about thinking outside the box, bringing in a new culture and fresh faces.

That why I selected the clubs I did. They either have sugar daddies or they are hungry.

harry crumb
01/08/2007, 9:41 PM
Oh yes they should get the Bohs business structure!:rolleyes:

Aaron
01/08/2007, 9:47 PM
Derry are still and old timey LOI club in terms of their business structure. They have good players and great support base, but they are still too much of a 'mom and pop' operation. I think that's a very deep rooted cultural thing at the Brandywell and will be unlikely to change. There is a lot I admire about Derry City FC, but they are a conservative club with little real ambition to grow. I suspect this was a major factor in Stephen Kenny going to Scotland.

Are you serious or what? Of course we want to grow as a club, we have lots of ambitions. We are currently in the process of getting an 8,000 all seater stadium built with a "Soccer Dome" which has 6 mini pitches in it and retail units in the Brandywell. This is a club that made great strides in Europe and has ambitions to go further.

Your a moron if you think any club never mind Derry City has no ambition to grow. One of the things Stephen Kenny said when he came was Derry City had the potential to be massive, and said the same thing when he left. He left because he had his own ambitions to manage at a higher level

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 9:48 PM
Oh yes they should get the Bohs business structure!:rolleyes:

Bohs are the Paris Hilton of the LOI - somebody else is always paying the bills. We just have to wake up in the morning and it's all going to be alright.

Sweet eh.:p

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 9:51 PM
One of the things Stephen Kenny said when he came was Derry City had the potential to be massive, and said the same thing when he left.

and you called me a moron.

Aaron
01/08/2007, 9:52 PM
and you called me a moron.

Whats your problem, thats what he said?

Aaron
01/08/2007, 9:55 PM
Also were are Finn Harps and Shamrock Rovers? Harps have big plans for a new stadium in Stranorlar and WHEN Rovers get into Tallaght IMO they will become a force in Irish Football again with their own home.

sonofstan
01/08/2007, 9:58 PM
Interesting idea - I think that, just maybe, despite the security blanket of negativity that the average EL fan wraps him or herself in, we might actually begin to see some potentially useful changes quite soon. New grounds for us and Drogheda, major improvements at Terryland and the X, and maybe a chance for Derry to get hold of the Brandywell. On top of that, some clubs are beginning to be run a bit properly - the old gamblers mentality of betting everything on results - or the run in Europe- is receding a little, and the FAI, (and this hurts to type) with the salary cap and the TV money may also be helping.

For a long time, the 'thinking' inside Irish football was just that kind of despairing last throw of the dice stuff - the Shels model in other words (actually I'm not having a go - we very nearly did the same). Maybe, a realisation is growing that small, cumulative steps might get us closer to a viable domestic game than the big glorious splash that has all the barstoolers slapping their foreheads and going 'why, Lorcan, there's football here too; why did nobody tell me?' and rushing off breathlessly to St. Colman's or Station Rd.

Some intelligent investment is going into the game finally - your man out in Inchicore, the lads up in Drogland (giving them the benefit of a large doubt), Cork, and Wallace in Wexford - a half- dozen, non- lossmaking clubs, playing in decent stadia, with attendances creeping up to the 4-5,000 mark and we won't know the place.

Aaron
01/08/2007, 10:03 PM
Interesting idea - I think that, just maybe, despite the security blanket of negativity that the average EL fan wraps him or herself in, we might actually begin to see some potentially useful changes quite soon. New grounds for us and Drogheda, major improvements at Terryland and the X, and maybe a chance for Derry to get hold of the Brandywell. On top of that, some clubs are beginning to be run a bit properly - the old gamblers mentality of betting everything on results - or the run in Europe- is receding a little, and the FAI, (and this hurts to type) with the salary cap and the TV money may also be helping.

For a long time, the 'thinking' inside Irish football was just that kind of despairing last throw of the dice stuff - the Shels model in other words (actually I'm not having a go - we very nearly did the same). Maybe, a realisation is growing that small, cumulative steps might get us closer to a viable domestic game than the big glorious splash that has all the barstoolers slapping their foreheads and going 'why, Lorcan, there's football here too; why did nobody tell me?' and rushing off breathlessly to St. Colman's or Station Rd.

Some intelligent investment is going into the game finally - your man out in Inchicore, the lads up in Drogland (giving them the benefit of a large doubt), Cork, and Wallace in Wexford - a half- dozen, non- lossmaking clubs, playing in decent stadia, with attendances creeping up to the 4-5,000 mark and we won't know the place.

Good post. I just find it insulting as an EL fan that Boh_So_Good feels only a few clubs will be the "Cream of the Crop" in a few years time rather than every club striving to be the best. It will be more difficult for some than others of course but how can you say clubs have no ambition. I'm sure Kilkenny are trying to get a better fanbase, i'm sure Wexford are the same. I've no doubt Shelbourne are trying to get their feet back on the ground and get back to were they belong. Every club has ambitions

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 10:15 PM
Every club has ambitions

If you consider hoping not to go under or waiting for a National Lottery hand out is having "ambitions" then you would be correct.

Lots of clubs have little or no real ambition. Their supporters are on this board day in and day out saying just that. Com'on get real.

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 10:19 PM
new stand startin at the rsc next week

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 10:20 PM
Good post. I just find it insulting as an EL fan that Boh_So_Good feels only a few clubs will be the "Cream of the Crop" in a few years time rather than every club striving to be the best.

What are implying? That we have some kind of Marxist league were there are no top clubs.

If you ask me a bit of social darwinism would do wonders for the league as a whole. There is more to be gained from an SPL type league model were you have a couple of major clubs who boost the attendences of all other clubs on away games. How can that be any worse that a league were all teams are mundane.

That "sure god love us" mentality is one of the reason the LOI went down in the past.

gufcfan
01/08/2007, 10:25 PM
Just been thinking about the current situation of clubs in the league and were they are heading, what backing they enjoy and other drivers and it's clear that a cream of the crop is developing. Not that this is a good thing, but it's better than when all the clubs were all essentially fecked a few years back.

Bohs
Drogs
Dundalk
Cork City
Galway Utd
Saint Pats

all the other clubs will be nipping at their toes for many years to come I suspect.

id like to think so but they have a lot of work ahead of them yet

Aaron
01/08/2007, 10:38 PM
If you consider hoping not to go under or waiting for a National Lottery hand out is having "ambitions" then you would be correct.

Lots of clubs have little or no real ambition. Their supporters are on this board day in and day out saying just that. Com'on get real.

Want to name a few of these clubs?

TonyD
01/08/2007, 10:44 PM

Now there's an invitation to a good verbal kicking if ever I heard one :D

Boh_So_Good
01/08/2007, 10:57 PM

They know who they are.

Aaron
01/08/2007, 11:20 PM
They know who they are.

Well I want you to tell me who they are. If your going to make remarks about clubs ambitions why not name them? Do Bohs have ambition, if so what is it?

Risteard
01/08/2007, 11:28 PM
A question.
Is there real potentiol in Waterford and Limerick?

With potentiol meaning getting to the stage where they're established as safe Prem Div clubs who sporadically compete for honours.

dcfcsteve
02/08/2007, 12:13 AM
Are you serious or what? Of course we want to grow as a club, we have lots of ambitions. We are currently in the process of getting an 8,000 all seater stadium built with a "Soccer Dome" which has 6 mini pitches in it and retail units in the Brandywell. This is a club that made great strides in Europe and has ambitions to go further.

Your a moron if you think any club never mind Derry City has no ambition to grow. One of the things Stephen Kenny said when he came was Derry City had the potential to be massive, and said the same thing when he left. He left because he had his own ambitions to manage at a higher level

Derry has ambition - but severley limits its ability to fulfill that ambition by being 'a mom and pop operation'.

We look to volunteers to do everything - including crucial things like fundraising and merchandise. Hence we have the laughable situation where it has effectively been impossible for the vast majority of those who want one to buy a Derry City home top for the last 2 seasons, and our other merchandise is a joke.

If we don't get serious and professional about bringing money into the club, ambition will be meaningless - as we simply won't be able to afford it.

Saint MacDara
02/08/2007, 12:16 AM
I believe theres definitely potential for Limerick and Waterford to be permanent fixtures in the prem league.

Take Limerick,with a population of 52,000 compared to a town like Drogheda with 35,000 the numbers are there to support the club even with robust competition from rugby and gaa in the city.The reason Drogheda have succeeded in establishing themselves is because of having an alright ground,commited fan base and most importantly backers who believe in driving the club forward.

With alittle investment,business support and an intelligent board theres no reason why the crowds in Limerick wouldnt flock back.

Maybe im being too optimistic,but i just feel that if a city cant maintain a premier club there aint much hope for significant growth anywhere else in the league.

dcfcsteve
02/08/2007, 12:23 AM

Bohs
Drogs
Dundalk
Cork City
Galway Utd
Saint Pats

Firstly - I'm not sure what this notion of a 'power list' is supposed to be all about. The fortunes of football clubs continue to ebb and flow over time. Leeds United would recently have been considered a power club in England - Wigan would never have been. Yet look at how they're both doing now.

Today's EL power list would contain a few hardy perennials who will usually be somewhere in the mix in our league - you need only look at league tables over the last few decades to confirm that. The other's would change over time, so are largely meaningless speculation based upon present performance. For example - I personally don't expect Drogheda to remain a key force in Irish football beyong the medium-term, as I believe they are too dependent upon individual funders, playing in a town with no real soccer tradition and no deep or strong roots for the club. Only time will prove me right or wrong in this.

Secondly - that list you gave above is just wierd. Dundalk or Galway being 'power clubs' whilst City and Rovers aren't...? :eek:

Risteard
02/08/2007, 12:29 AM
Ignoring past Limerick footballing glories, rugby is always going to be the main gig in Limerick.
The Waterford hurlers would prob be even more of a bandwagon than Munster rugby.
That should pass and if the RSC is improved and they stay in the prem a few years, its feasible but by no means certain that they could compete.
As for Limerick, I'd imagine the will and backing just isnt there and won't be for quite some time. I've heard L37 get attendances in the low hundreds, correct?

dcfcsteve
02/08/2007, 12:33 AM
Ignoring past Limerick footballing glories, rugby is always going to be the main gig in Limerick.
The Waterford hurlers would prob be even more of a bandwagon than Munster rugby.
That should pass and if the RSC is improved and they stay in the prem a few years, its feasible but by no means certain that they could compete.
As for Limerick, I'd imagine the will and backing just isnt there and won't be for quite some time. I've heard L37 get attendances in the low hundreds, correct?

Agree.

Waterford is a town with a decent senior footballing pedigree in Ireland. Their current team is just going through a bad spell. It happens, and is no indication of potential or future performance.

Limerick, on the other hand, seem to have fundamental problems when it comes to senior soccer. The city can't seem to sustain a club, and squabbling within the footballing fraternity seems to be an ongoign concern. Soccer will be down the pecking order versus rugby in limerick for the foreseeable future. I woukld say that smaller towns like Dundalk or Sligo - with good footballing traditions - would therefore offer more potential than Limerick for the foreseeable future.

ofjames
02/08/2007, 12:58 AM
can you elaborate on Derry's plans for their new stadium and facilities etc...?

I didnt hear anything bout it before, sounds the job though if it gets built

SwanVsDalton
02/08/2007, 11:14 AM
can you elaborate on Derry's plans for their new stadium and facilities etc...?

I didnt hear anything bout it before, sounds the job though if it gets built

Derry have been conditionally granted the Brandywell site, along with the neighbouring civic amenities area, for the lovely price of £1. The reason for this is that, with the upkeep cost and the land being classified as 'leisure land', the Land Valuation boyos declared that would be a reasonable deal for the Brandywell to be sold for a single quid.

The plan at the minute is to secure funding from both North and South governments to build an 8,000 seater stadium with adjacent state-of-the-art leisure facilites (the aforementioned 'Soccer Dome' with astro-turf pitches etc) and other retail facilities (the rent for which will be key to the upkeep of the Brandy).

To this end, tenants for the retail units have all but been secured and the requisite funding is also well down the line. Derry have received the tacit support of the main players and it has been reported that the issue of the Brandywell was actually brought up by Seamus Brennan at the recent North-South Ministerial Council meeting. :cool:

bellavistaman
02/08/2007, 11:20 AM
our ambition is to get up and stay up to be fair in last 4 years we have shown ambition, and have been knockin on the premier door a while now, hopefully this season we'll do it.

WeAreRovers
02/08/2007, 11:22 AM
Best thread ever. And so many of you bit. :p

KOH

holidaysong
02/08/2007, 12:04 PM
The plan at the minute is to secure funding from both North and South governments to build an 8,000 seater stadium with adjacent state-of-the-art leisure facilites (the aforementioned 'Soccer Dome' with astro-turf pitches etc) and other retail facilities (the rent for which will be key to the upkeep of the Brandy).

Will this be like the JJB Soccer Dome (http://www.jjbsoccerdome.co.uk/) we have in Dundalk?

dcfc_1928
02/08/2007, 2:44 PM
It will be similar - but not quite on the same scale.

Will this be like the JJB Soccer Dome (http://www.jjbsoccerdome.co.uk/) we have in Dundalk?

OneRedArmy
02/08/2007, 2:51 PM
Will this be like the JJB Soccer Dome (http://www.jjbsoccerdome.co.uk/) we have in Dundalk?I believe this was one of the sites visited.

Lim till i die
03/08/2007, 6:54 AM
Take Limerick,with a population of 52,000

Far bigger than that mate

Based on what besides your opinion?? Two completly different sets of support. Naturally some crossover but remember Limerick easily sustained both at the top level for many years.

I've heard L37 get attendances in the low hundreds, correct

700 and odd. Not bad when our senior sides have been in the first division the past 15 years.

Remember Bishopstown?? :rolleyes:

Limerick, on the other hand, seem to have fundamental problems when it comes to senior soccer. The city can't seem to sustain a club, and squabbling within the footballing fraternity seems to be an ongoign concern.

Agreed

Soccer will be down the pecking order versus rugby in limerick for the foreseeable future.

Can see where you're coming from but you have to understand it's largely a very different crowd attending both sports.

Don't buy the whole Limerick bastion of working class rugby b0llocks for a second because it's not true.

I woukld say that smaller towns like Dundalk or Sligo - with good footballing traditions - would therefore offer more potential than Limerick for the foreseeable future.

Again can see where you're coming from but have to disagree.

Limerick has a great footballing tradition going back 70 years.

I genuinely think if we made it to the Premier and consolidated we could easily be one of the biggest teams in the country, on a par with Cork City IMHO.

Limerick is a football mad town. After so long in the First Division it just needs to remember :)

GuisaSaigon
03/08/2007, 11:41 AM
Take Limerick,with a population of 52,000

Far bigger than that mate
560 bigger than that according to the 2006 census:o

Conor H
03/08/2007, 12:44 PM
So quick question, tradtionally would Limerick being a bigger Footy/Soccer town than Galway ? Would Galway be the bigger club ?

You're becoming a real WUM on this site.

Lim till i die
03/08/2007, 1:14 PM
So quick question, tradtionally would Limerick being a bigger Footy/Soccer town than Galway ?

Infinitely bigger Yes.

Would Galway be the bigger club ?

Dear God NO!!

But then I reckon you knew all that already :p

560 bigger than that according to the 2006 census

Trust a Galway fan to wheel out the census :rolleyes:

pete
03/08/2007, 1:18 PM
History shows that Dublin & neighbouring clubs will continue to dominate. Only Cork City & possibly Derry City have the potential to be permanent Premier division teams.

GuisaSaigon
03/08/2007, 1:32 PM
Trust a Galway fan to wheel out the census :rolleyes:
Have you got a better way of counting the population? I know the census probably doesn't count your nomadic population, but it is the most accurate estimation available:)

ndrog
03/08/2007, 3:46 PM
Firstly - I'm not sure what this notion of a 'power list' is supposed to be all about. The fortunes of football clubs continue to ebb and flow over time. Leeds United would recently have been considered a power club in England - Wigan would never have been. Yet look at how they're both doing now.

Today's EL power list would contain a few hardy perennials who will usually be somewhere in the mix in our league - you need only look at league tables over the last few decades to confirm that. The other's would change over time, so are largely meaningless speculation based upon present performance. For example - I personally don't expect Drogheda to remain a key force in Irish football beyong the medium-term, as I believe they are too dependent upon individual funders, playing in a town with no real soccer tradition and no deep or strong roots for the club. Only time will prove me right or wrong in this.

Secondly - that list you gave above is just wierd. Dundalk or Galway being 'power clubs' whilst City and Rovers aren't...? :eek:

Not entirely sure what the point of this thread is but your post is laughable .How in gods name do you come to the conclusion that Drogheda has no real soccer tradition .Whatever that is ? Drogheda is a football mad town and has been for generations .Ask anybody involved in all levels of the game in Ireland and they will tell you the same thing .Drogheda has produced 3 Irish internationals in the last few years and some great players coming up at the moment .Drogheda united has never won the leauge but this dosent mean there is no tradition of football in the town .The club has very strong roots in the community and they are getting stronger every day as we are being quite successful .As for our funders , whats the problem with that ? They are putting in a solid basis to hopefully make us safe financialy in the future .Your post is pathetic and has no basis in fact .Are you jealous that we are actually trying to turn the club around from a yo yo club to a successful premier div team .Thats what it sounds like :rolleyes:

gael353
03/08/2007, 3:56 PM
Have you got a better way of counting the population? I know the census probably doesn't count your nomadic population, but it is the most accurate estimation available:)

Limerick,(CITY) has a population of 52,000. Limerick city suburbs (which are in the county) has a further 35,000. Limerick city +limerick city suburbs + county = 180,000.