PDA

View Full Version : Lee Trundle Again

Pages : [1] 2 3

RedMick
01/08/2007, 1:33 PM
This from the BBC site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6922514.stm

30 year old who has never played top flight football. Worth a punt?

stiofain
01/08/2007, 1:44 PM
No.

I liked the bit that reads: Trundle has dreamed of playing international football since he was a schoolboy. Sorry to be cynical, butI doubt he dreamed of playing for Ireland.

Sligo Hornet
01/08/2007, 1:47 PM
I don't think so......he's been talked about for five years, yet he's only managed to climb the tree to Bristol City!!

Not even my club, who are desperate to sign another striker, have given him a second glance!

Sligo Hornet
01/08/2007, 1:49 PM
This from the BBC site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6922514.stm

30 year old who has never played top flight football. Worth a punt?

Certainly not a penny more!:D

Ceirtlis
01/08/2007, 1:53 PM
"I could have stayed in the comfort zone at Swansea but I had to take the chance to step up and prove myself at a higher level."
Why didnt he move earlier so. Unless he gets at least 20 goals in the championship this year i dont see him entering the equation.

shelbourne1904
01/08/2007, 2:02 PM
I saw him years ago,before all the hype, playing against Carlisle and he looked great.We have tried worse than him.......

eirebhoy
01/08/2007, 2:42 PM
I liked the bit that reads: Trundle has dreamed of playing international football since he was a schoolboy. Sorry to be cynical, butI doubt he dreamed of playing for Ireland.
Why? He's one of the few players I genuinely believe always wanted to play for Ireland. I don't think he was lying on live TV when he said he wore Ireland jerseys as a kid while all his mates were in England kits. I think it's too late for him to be thinking about international football just to boost his reputation, as many players are guilty of.

stiofain
01/08/2007, 2:45 PM
Why? He's one of the few players I genuinely believe always wanted to play for Ireland. I don't think he was lying on live TV when he said he wore Ireland jerseys as a kid while all his mates were in England kits. I think it's too late for him to be thinking about international football just to boost his reputation, as many players are guilty of.

Oh right. Fair enough. I didnt see that interview.

RedMick
01/08/2007, 2:51 PM
Age may well be against him and we have to see wheter Kevin Doyle will succumb to second seasonitis. Although saying that, if he is really that desparate to impress Stan, maybe he should have been saying this before the US tour

carloz
01/08/2007, 4:00 PM
He plays in a position that we dont have to go searching in League 1 for. For probably the first time in Irish history we are inundated with forwards. Plus he is too fat for international football(he is actually fat, unlike Andy Reid)

Docboy
01/08/2007, 6:31 PM
I'd give him a chance though that said I've always had a soft spot for entertainers, the lad has some skill

Sligo Hornet
01/08/2007, 7:16 PM
He plays in a position that we dont have to go searching in League 1 for. For probably the first time in Irish history we are inundated with forwards. Plus he is too fat for international football(he is actually fat, unlike Andy Reid)

You're right Carloz.. Andy's not fat.....just been squashed down (by very heavy hair gel )from his optimum height that matches his weight!;)

Cymro
02/08/2007, 12:16 AM

That excuse was used before. He's now a Championship player and has looked the part in the one game he's played for them.

He's always wanted to play for the ROI, that's a fact. If he'd wanted to play internationals for any team he'd have taken up Lawrie Sanchez's offer a few years back.

He has scored goals at every level he's played at and there's no reason to think he may not do the same in the Championship.

His age is not as big a factor as it seems as he has only been a pro for 5 years. So he has the legs of someone a few years younger, and has at least 3-4 more years at the top of his game, since he's never relied on his pace anyway.

His weight is just a nonsense argument. 18 months ago he was overweight. He dropped over a stone last pre-season and is now fully capable of lasting the pace in any kind of game.

And he's a legend. :D

So there you go five (plus one) reasons why you should pick Lee.

bellavistaman
02/08/2007, 10:07 AM
Worth a chance in a friendly i reckon. If Caleb Folan is, who i also thin k is worth a shot btw.

livehead1
02/08/2007, 10:08 AM
would u pick him for wales....he is eligible

bellavistaman
02/08/2007, 10:19 AM
would u pick him for wales....he is eligible

if that question is aimed at me, ya, Wales are ****!!

magpies
02/08/2007, 12:11 PM
if he play's for Ireland he will probably be the most skilfull irish player:D

Cymro
02/08/2007, 12:43 PM
if that question is aimed at me, ya, Wales are ****!!

And you are not much better.

citizenerased
02/08/2007, 12:49 PM
its laughable, he has no hope, wel i sincerely hope he doesnt anyway...

Cymro
02/08/2007, 12:56 PM
its laughable, he has no hope, wel i sincerely hope he doesnt anyway...

Care to address any of the points I made as to why he should be picked? :confused:

Stuttgart88
02/08/2007, 1:02 PM
Cymro, there have been times in the last 10 years where a player with Trundle's ability may have been capped by Ireland, but to be honest we just don't need him right now. We have two very good international forwards as near automatic first choices and an abundance of young forwards with great potential either at weaker Premiership clubs or the better Championship clubs.

Cymro
02/08/2007, 1:59 PM
Cymro, there have been times in the last 10 years where a player with Trundle's ability may have been capped by Ireland, but to be honest we just don't need him right now. We have two very good international forwards as near automatic first choices and an abundance of young forwards with great potential either at weaker Premiership clubs or the better Championship clubs.

I see your point but how many Irish strikers are playing and scoring regularly in their leagues?

Doyle, Keane and David Connolly come to mind, are there any others though?

Surely Lee deserves a chance in a friendly at least, it's not like there's anything riding on the outcome of those games so why not take a look?

Stuttgart88
02/08/2007, 2:11 PM
I see your point but how many Irish strikers are playing and scoring regularly in their leagues?

Surely Lee deserves a chance in a friendly at least, it's not like there's anything riding on the outcome of those games so why not take a look?
Well, Elliott has scored a lot of goals at Championship level. Stokes got 14 in only a short spell in the SPL.

Keogh has been getting rave reviews, not so much for his goals but for his all round play.

I think my point still stands & we've more to gain by developing these guys early than by giving Trundle a shot now.

I do think it's telling that nobody better than Bristol City has shown an interest in him.

Cymro
02/08/2007, 2:38 PM
Well, Elliott has scored a lot of goals at Championship level. Stokes got 14 in only a short spell in the SPL.

Keogh has been getting rave reviews, not so much for his goals but for his all round play.

I think my point still stands & we've more to gain by developing these guys early than by giving Trundle a shot now.

I do think it's telling that nobody better than Bristol City has shown an interest in him.

Sheffield Wednesday made a £750K bid and Everton were reported to be interested but were put off by the then £2m pricetag.

Stokes scored 14 last year in a league where a majority of the teams are not better than League One standard. In my opinion. Lee would normally get more than that if he were fully fit. While Elliott has scored 22 in 81 appearences for Sunderland which works out at about 1 goal every 4 games as opposed to Lee's 1 goal every other game in L1, and yes I know it's a step up to the Championship but as I've said Lee has scored wherever he's been so there is no reason to think he will not continue the trend in the Championship.

Keogh has always looked good whenever I've seen him but again his strike rate is not as good as Lee's. Although he's younger and I think he has potential to be a good player he certainly does not merit a place in the Irish squad on performances any more than Lee does.

Also-I've made a perfectly good point regard the 'age' argument which seems to be the main one against him getting a place in the squad fopr a friendly, and I do think that deserves looking at before people just say 'oh but player X and Y are X and Y years younger than Trundle'.

bellavistaman
02/08/2007, 2:40 PM
Can i ask a question, what standard are we judging players at international level. Lapira, Folan, Ireland, or Keane & Duffs??

Irish_Praha
02/08/2007, 8:21 PM

Alan Lee scored 16 last season.

I agree with your view on Trundle and fully expect him to hit the 15 to 20 goal mark this season. I know we have better strikers than him and including him in the squad could take the away the chance of one of Keogh, Stokes, Elliott, Murphy etc. to pick up some valuable experience. The last time he was talking about his desire to play for Ireland I said it was too late and that he should have been given his chance in the Kerr era but when i think more about it all the above-mentioned players have time to prove themselves. IMO Trundel should be given a chance in a B game or half an hour in a friendly before it really is too late for him. It cant do any harm.

carloz
03/08/2007, 11:52 AM
Care to address any of the points I made as to why he should be picked? :confused:

I think its mainly because of the options we have available.
Doyle- Proven Premiership standard
Keane- Proven Premiership standard
Stokes- Premiership player this year
Murphy- Premiership player this year
Connolly- Premiership player this year and proven himself fully in the Championship.
O' Donovan- A Premiership move is very much looking on the cards for him
Keogh- Excellent season last year with wolves
Long- Squad player for Reading
Morrisson- Has been a good servant to us in the past
Lee- Consistently performed in the Championship

Thats 10 forwards who would be ahead of him, and there probably is a couple of more to be added to that list. Why should we try a player who has yet to play 1 minute of Championship football just because he has his heart set on it. Cymro with those options available we really dont need him. Couldnt Wales do with him???

tetsujin1979
03/08/2007, 12:28 PM
Connolly- Premiership player this year and proven himself fully in the Championship.
Elliot should definitely be on that list
If Ward can rediscover the form he had after the move to Wolves, he'd be ahead of Trundle
Leon Best, Billy Clarke and Jonathan Walters all have youth on their side

The Legend
03/08/2007, 5:22 PM
Elliot should definitely be on that list
If Ward can rediscover the form he had after the move to Wolves, he'd be ahead of Trundle
Leon Best, Billy Clarke and Jonathan Walters all have youth on their side

Agree with all this, Trundle can F** right off until he's playing for the likes of Liverpool for a year or two!

billybunter
03/08/2007, 9:23 PM
Forget him, let's talk about what HE can do for Ireland. I don't like the way people talk as if winning a cap is just for the glory of a player. These over-paid women need to have something to contribute to us, to the team, to the country. Lee Trundle ending his career without an international cap is not going to result in me losing any sleep. Ireland capping more losers will.

with paddy on this one...

Cymro
03/08/2007, 10:23 PM

Thats 10 forwards who would be ahead of him, and there probably is a couple of more to be added to that list. Why should we try a player who has yet to play 1 minute of Championship football just because he has his heart set on it. Cymro with those options available we really dont need him. Couldnt Wales do with him???

Doyle and Keane are very much ahead of Lee in the pecking order-no-one's arguing that. However there are 4 or 5 spots in the squad for strikers, and since we're talking about friendlies here (which don't count for anything) I see no reason why Lee shouldn't be considered. If you watch him, you'll grow to like him. And I've dispelled most of the actual complaints against Lee here. Saying 'we have better options' is both unprovable and subjective. Whilst Lee is not proven in the Championship or Premiership unlike about 4 of your list above, he is proven as top quality in every other league he has played in. So for me, only around four of those you listed could be ahead of Trundle in terms of actual merit. Keogh, Long, Stokes, Murphy, O'Donovan and probably Morrison can't. If you get an injury, he's got to be considered, particularly if he keeps up his form for us when he starts for real with Bristol City.

We could do with him all right but he doesn't qualify for us. Shame. Then we could show you what you're missing when we play you in Cardiff. ;)

danonion
06/08/2007, 4:09 AM
The late-start-to-career scouse reminds me of John Aldridge. I'm superstitious and that would be enough for me to stick him in the squad. BUT I also think stan wouldn't have to be superstitious to call him up. The likes of Keogh, Ward and O'Donovan, Will be around for a long time and none of them really have anything that different to offer than our no1 strikers keane and doyle, if one of them has to come off. Trundle has a bag of tricks which he can employ and off the bench that could do a lot to a tired defense. If you believe he can only terrorize a league one defense, look at t he standard of players on Wales's back 5. I'd say Trundle could give those triers a good runaround.

cavan_fan
06/08/2007, 3:31 PM
No, no, no.

We should only call up non Irish born if they are significantly better than we have. He's not even on a par with our top 5 strikers.

Cymro
07/08/2007, 12:06 AM
No, no, no.

We should only call up non Irish born if they are significantly better than we have. He's not even on a par with our top 5 strikers.

That post is just wrong on so many levels.

DmanDmythDledge
07/08/2007, 12:53 AM

Thats 10 forwards who would be ahead of him
Are you Stan? Just because they play for a Premiership team that means they're automatically better than anyone who doesn't? Only Keane, Doyle, Morrisson and Lee and to some extent Stokes have proved themselves at a higher level than Trundle has. If he gets off to a good start in the Championship he has (or at least should) a great chance of making the squad.

Cymro
07/08/2007, 1:29 AM
Are you Stan? Just because they play for a Premiership team that means they're automatically better than anyone who doesn't. Only Keane, Doyle, Morrisson and Lee and to some extent Stokes have proved themselves at a higher level than Trundle has. If he gets off to a good start in the Championship he has (or at least should) have a great chance of making the squad.

Exactly the point I've been trying to make........

We'll see how Lee does in the Championship, if he doesn't cut the mustard then fine write him off but I've a feeling he'll succeed personally.

irishfan86
07/08/2007, 4:21 AM
I may as well throw in my say- I for one think Lee will have a successful Championship season this year and score well into the double digits.

The man has the skill and trickery to be successful at any level.

I have no bias for or against Lee Trundle, and feel that regardless of his age, if he is banging in more goals than his Championship "countrymen" then he should get his chance with the national team.

citizenerased
13/08/2007, 12:37 PM
:D:D:D, with strikers available like Murphy, Stokes, Long, Doyle, Keane, Connolly, O'Donovan, Keogh, Ward, Elliot, lee....where exactly do you see trundle fitting in??

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2007, 2:02 PM
:D:D:D, with strikers available like Murphy, Stokes, Long, Doyle, Keane, Connolly, O'Donovan, Keogh, Ward, Elliot, lee....where exactly do you see trundle fitting in??
It's been said already that most of them have done nothing. Try to keep up.

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2007, 2:21 PM
DDD - that piece you quoted does not say that the strikers we have now are not good - it's saying that trundle won't get in with them there - try to copy the correct quote - fckin smartarse
I think you've got your wires crossed- I meant that the answer to that question had been dealt with in the thread. If citizenerased wanted to know people thought Trundle could have a chance of making the squad he should have read the thread.

citizenerased
13/08/2007, 2:35 PM
Basically...I was too lazy..there is no valid reason that could have been on the preious pages to include him..he must be 29 or 30 at this stage? he scored a few goals for swansea, big deal...he wont get a sniff and rightfully so...we are trying to build for the future, why would stan give a 29 year old journeyman his debut? ...its players that i mentioned in my last post that are the future!

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2007, 2:37 PM
There are valid reasons and they are in the thread.

International football is about the present- you pick the best players at present, not who will be in the future. It's all about results here and now- it's up to clubs to develop players.

adamcarr
13/08/2007, 2:55 PM
I'll get slated for this but Doyle would not lace Trundles boots in terms of ability.
Just watch Doyle closely next time you see him - no pace, poor first touch -had a fluke first season last year - will do nothing this year. Not saying this out of malice - he's a good pro (apparently trundles a bit of a party boy) but he is not the real deal. Seen Trundle a good few times over the last few years - albeit on tv - bags of ability - I say give him a chance.
Keane first choice - Connolly second - then Trundle - those who say we are blessed with 10 top strikers are very optimistic - some of them not international standard - even Morrison wasn't up to it - just had to use him cos there was no one else - too often on the ground moaning looking for a free!

We have finally found a man who knows less then Staunton.

The Legend
13/08/2007, 8:25 PM
I'll get slated for this but Doyle would not lace Trundles boots in terms of ability.
Just watch Doyle closely next time you see him - no pace, poor first touch -had a fluke first season last year - will do nothing this year. Not saying this out of malice - he's a good pro (apparently trundles a bit of a party boy) but he is not the real deal. Seen Trundle a good few times over the last few years - albeit on tv - bags of ability - I say give him a chance.
Keane first choice - Connolly second - then Trundle - those who say we are blessed with 10 top strikers are very optimistic - some of them not international standard - even Morrison wasn't up to it - just had to use him cos there was no one else - too often on the ground moaning looking for a free!

Is that you David Connolly? This is the most ridiculous post I have ever read on here.

Fireball
13/08/2007, 9:09 PM
Just watch Doyle closely next time you see him - no pace, poor first touch -had a fluke first season last year - will do nothing this year. Not saying this out of malice - he's a good pro (apparently trundles a bit of a party boy) but he is not the real deal.
No pace?! Poor First touch?! Please tell me you're kidding?!

citizenerased
13/08/2007, 10:37 PM
this has to be a wind up!! it should get post of the month for sheer comedy value...there is no way he actually can believe this...:eek::eek:

tricky_colour
14/08/2007, 3:06 AM

I expect that's a joke considering his goal scoring record. I don't know if he is the fastest man on the planet, but Lynford Christie has not scored many Premiership goals. However I do think Trundle shoud be give a chance even though I expect Doyle is faster and has a better first touch, it would be interesting to see if Trundles trickery works at international level.
The Irish Ronaldo perhaps :D

shanman2
14/08/2007, 7:35 AM
I expect that's a joke considering his goal scoring record. I don't know if he is the fastest man on the planet, but Lynford Christie has not scored many Premiership goals. However I do think Trundle shoud be give a chance even though I expect Doyle is faster and has a better first touch, it would be interesting to see if Trundles trickery works at international level.
The Irish Ronaldo perhaps :D

Dont you mean the anglo-irish Ronaldo....:D
Jon Maken all over over again...

youngirish
14/08/2007, 9:26 AM
Lee Trundle an (almost) 31 year old journeyman who's only just now managed to get a transfer to a half decent league should be called up to the Ireland team? Give me strength. Better than Doyle? Maybe he meant Colin Doyle.

In my absence I see the same muck threads are still being recycled over and over again.

Dr. Ogba
14/08/2007, 10:09 AM
In my absence I see the same muck threads are still being recycled over and over again.

Absence?

Well anyway thank **** you're back to show us the light...:rolleyes: