PDA

View Full Version : The best Irish international you've seen play

Pages : [1] 2

Torn-Ado
01/08/2007, 12:31 PM
Following on from Noely thread, I've decided to inject a small bit of positivity into procedings. However, I think there will a lot less deliberation over this one.

I'll start:

Roy Keane. :)

Wolfie
01/08/2007, 12:38 PM
Following on from Noely thread, I've decided to inject a small bit of positivity into procedings. However, I think there will a lot less deliberation over this one.

I'll start:

Roy Keane. :)

Paul McGrath

DeNiro
01/08/2007, 12:39 PM
Keane, McGrath and Brady. Hard to choose between the 3! McGrath probably as he really stood out when we had our golden period!

Noelys Guitar
01/08/2007, 1:06 PM
Top 4 I have seen play would be Giles, Brady, McGrath and Keane. Tough one. Have to think hard about this. Keane shades it.

Stuttgart88
01/08/2007, 1:11 PM
I'd have to add Shay Given to the above.

Bluebeard
01/08/2007, 1:15 PM
From my time Brady, followed by McGrath and Keane, with John "Budgie" Byrne slightly behind again.

fergalr
01/08/2007, 1:29 PM
Top 4 I have seen play would be Giles, Brady, McGrath and Keane. Tough one. Have to think hard about this. Keane shades it.
Agree with those 4 - no one else comes close (unless you're going back further generations).

As to to the relative merits of these four - depends what you mean by "best". If its based on mutiple performances where single-handedly they got us key results then I'd go for 1. Keane, 2. Brady, 3. McGrath, 4. Giles.

stiofain
01/08/2007, 2:07 PM
I'm a bit too young to remember Paul McGrath during the good days.

Its Roy Keane for me. Without a doubt.

micls
01/08/2007, 2:10 PM
Shay Given

Dotsy
01/08/2007, 2:39 PM
For pure ability it has to Brady for me followed closely by Mcgrath. Brady at his best was a sublime footballer to watch.

gspain
01/08/2007, 2:42 PM
Top players I've seen were Giles, Brady, McGrath and Keane.

Paul McGrath for me.

geysir
01/08/2007, 2:55 PM
The best you have seen is fair enough.
Giles, then a very small gap to Brady, then a gap to the others

If you were to vote for the best ever then only those who have seen
Giles, Brady, McGrath etc. can vote.

shelbourne1904
01/08/2007, 3:42 PM
The best you have seen is fair enough.
Giles, then a very small gap to Brady, then a gap to the others

If you were to vote for the best ever then only those who have seen
Giles, Brady, McGrath etc. can vote.

Mark Lawrenson???Tony Dunne,Denis Irwin but no arguement about those 3 absolute gems

carloz
01/08/2007, 3:55 PM
Im a little too young to remember McGrath and the likes. For me it would have to be Roy Keane and on his day Duffer

beautifulrock
01/08/2007, 4:00 PM
McGrath & Brady for me, Roy not far off either but Big Paul has always been my favourite and Giant Stadium in 94 is almost enough on its own to get my vote.

bennocelt
01/08/2007, 4:08 PM
Never saw Giles play but he always looks very classy on the old replays

Brady was ace

But I would have to say paul Mcgrath was the best to ever wear the green

and Roy was good, when he bothered:)

Seano
01/08/2007, 4:23 PM
Too young to remember Giles, but out of Brady, Keane and McGrath there's no doubt in my mind, McGrath was the best.

SkStu
01/08/2007, 5:45 PM
Too young to remember Giles, but out of Brady, Keane and McGrath there's no doubt in my mind, McGrath was the best.

agreed.

ofjames
01/08/2007, 5:57 PM
im only 21 so i didnt have the chance to see brady, giles etc. in their pomp. mcgrath was heroic, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's keane. he is my absolute hero:D

also, on a related topic. keane is not included in the FAI's selction of 'irish football greats' on their website. Typical of the cuunnts!!!!! they have mark kennedy in there but not roy keane! ridiculous

stiofain
01/08/2007, 6:29 PM
im only 21 so i didnt have the chance to see brady, giles etc. in their pomp. mcgrath was heroic, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's keane. he is my absolute hero:D

also, on a related topic. keane is not included in the FAI's selction of 'irish football greats' on their website. Typical of the cuunnts!!!!! they have mark kennedy in there but not roy keane! ridiculous

Please tell me your joking.

cheifo
01/08/2007, 6:49 PM
Hmmm.....no Eddie McGoldrick.
McGrath against the Italians, Keane performance against Portugal at Lansdowne was one of the best indiviual performances I have ever seen.I was a kid when he was playing but Brady seemed to disapoint at times when he played for us altough I remember him playing out of this world away to Holland.Does anybody remember a sublime piece of skill by him at home to the Swiss?(I think)-was surrounded by three men and somehow made them all look incredibly stupid with some amazing footwork.
Too young for Giles but Stapleton rarely gets a mention and was great for us.

ofjames
01/08/2007, 9:06 PM
Please tell me your joking.

Im afraid not, Kennedy, Matt Holland, Gary Breen are all in there but no roy keane!!! incredible

Link: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=51

Risteard
01/08/2007, 10:23 PM
What are the rules here?
Best Irish performance I've seen in person was McShanes debut.
I've seen Keane and (I think McGrath in green), best performance from an Irish international I've seen would be either Gary Kelly against Tottenham (2002 i think) or countless Joey Gamble games mainly against Shels or Drogs.
Healy had me mighty excited about football in his first 45 minutes at the Cross.

Noelys Guitar
01/08/2007, 10:45 PM
Im afraid not, Kennedy, Matt Holland, Gary Breen are all in there but no roy keane!!! incredible

Link: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=51

I don't think its a mistake either. What a petty bunch they are.

geysir
01/08/2007, 10:52 PM
On Alan Kelly in the FAI hall of Fame
"Winning his third cap in the 3-2 defeat by Austria at Dalymount Park in April 1962, Kelly then kept his place for the next nine games during which time he helped Ireland to the European Championship quarter-finals after a 3-2 aggregate victory over Austria."
I bet yez didn't know that one.

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2007, 10:56 PM
Keano.

Noelys Guitar
01/08/2007, 11:03 PM
Giles against Russia 3-0, Turkey 4-0, France 1-0.
Brady in those games mentioned above plus against Brazil 1-0, Malta 8-0, Holland 2-1, Cyprus 6-0, France 3-2.
McGrath v Holland 0-1, Hungary 2-0, Holland 1-1, Italy 0-1, Poland 3-3, England 1-1, Italy 1-0
Keane v Spain 0-2, Italy 1-0, Portugal 1-1 and Holland 1-0.

All World Class Performances

Keane's performance against Portugal at home is for me the greatest I have ever seen from an Irish player.

billybunter
02/08/2007, 12:00 AM
Best performances I have ever seen live: bonner against england in 88. mcgrath and Keane would have to be the Best Irish players I have seen. For pure effort in the shirt, would have to give an honorable mention to Aldridge.

BobbySands
02/08/2007, 2:55 AM
Keane v Portugal is the best Irish player performance I've ever seen. And I'm in the Keane traitor camp.

Snoop Drog
02/08/2007, 4:12 AM
I'd have to add Shay Given to the above.

What about Packie Bonner? I seem to remember him saving an endless array of one-on-ones

SkStu
02/08/2007, 5:37 AM
What about Packie Bonner? I seem to remember him saving an endless array of one-on-ones

he also, though it may be harsh to say, had an endless array of costly mistakes... v ussr 88, v holland 88, v england 90, v italy 90, v holland 94 and a few games in various qualifiers. Couldnt really be considered best ever player or even best irish goalkeeper, i think.

Stuttgart88
02/08/2007, 8:00 AM
Keane vs Portugal was the best individual performance for me, but claims that he "single-handedly" got us to the World Cup are off the mark a bit as we'd have been out if Given hadn't saved our bacon at home & away to Iran.

Bonner vs England in Stuttgart was an amazing individual performance, but overall Given has been the better keeper for us.

Brady against Bulgaria was special too.

Bluebeard
02/08/2007, 8:22 AM
No-one has mentioned Terry Phelan yet, either...

OwlsFan
02/08/2007, 8:51 AM
Interesting that no one has mentioned Ray Houghton, one of the most influential players of the Charlton era. An absolute dynamo. Was in decline by USA 94 (even though he scored against Italy) but one of my all time greats.

The rest (Giles, Brady, McGrath, Roy Keane) speak for themselves but honourable mentions also for Robbie Keane (our leading scorer), Kevin Moran, Shay Given and Andy T.

Wolfie
02/08/2007, 9:12 AM
Interesting that no one has mentioned Ray Houghton, one of the most influential players of the Charlton era. An absolute dynamo. Was in decline by USA 94 (even though he scored against Italy) but one of my all time greats.

The rest (Giles, Brady, McGrath, Roy Keane) speak for themselves but honourable mentions also for Robbie Keane (our leading scorer), Kevin Moran, Shay Given and Andy T.

Houghton and Townsend rarely had poor games and usually had a major influence and presence throughout the match.

The nature of their game demanded that they Imposed themselves, they were full of intelligent running and never hid or slept through games. I remember during breaks in the play, they'd often encourage or cajole their Irish team mates for more effort.

I always thought that crop of players had a maturity and sense of responsibility during their mid to late twenties that later teams didn't have - with the exception of Roy Keane.

Perhaps part of the reason for this is that the likes of Houghton and Townsend started at small clubs and gradually established themselves at the likes of Oxford (Houghton) and Southampton, Norwich (Townsend). In summary - no egocentricity.

Stuttgart88
02/08/2007, 10:14 AM
influence and presence

I always thought that crop of players had a maturity and sense of responsibility during their mid to late twenties that later teams didn't have - with the exception of Roy Keane.

Perhaps part of the reason for this is that the likes of Houghton and Townsend started at small clubs and gradually established themselves at the likes of Oxford (Houghton) and Southampton, Norwich (Townsend). In summary - no egocentricity.

Agree totally.

I think the squad that Kerr took over lacked what Giles always refers to as moral courage.

I also think soccer is going a bit like rugby union in that the physical & athletic qualities of today's teams are a step above those of the last generation.

At no point was Andy Townsend ever physically dominated, nor was Keane. Kevin Kilbane is one of our few outfield players with the physique required in a modern footballer, but he lacks the talent.

Steven Reid has the physique & a good degree of talent but not the confidence or intelligence. O'Shea has the physique but has no presence. Plenty of our players have talent but not the stature.

I think part of the problem is that some of these guys were so immersed in the Premiership star culture that they have lost touch. I get the feeling that they are now realising they adulation they receive at their clubs is no longer received automatically at home. It's encouraging that the likes of McShane and O'Dea are showing the leadership & moral attributes of a Kevin Moran and that many of our other prospects like Keogh, Murphy and Potter have had to do it the (relatively) hard way.

Billsthoughts
02/08/2007, 10:21 AM

agreed on houghton...saw his debut for ireland and thought he was great. Robbie Keane no feckin way near best Irish player. I would say Keane was the best Irish player I have seen. his performances against Portugal and holland at home were amazing but he had been putting in great performances as far back as the wc 94. Never saw Brady in his prime so cant say. never saw giles AFAIR. Given has had some amazing games for Ireland but no way can he claim to have had the same influence as Keane for the 2002 qualifiers.
If anything Kiely was as good a goalie as given at the time.

Dr. Ogba
02/08/2007, 10:23 AM
No-one has mentioned Terry Phelan yet, either...

Or Phil Babb for that matter....made McGrath look great in '94...

bellavistaman
02/08/2007, 10:25 AM
Keane! No doubts bout it

Stuttgart88
02/08/2007, 10:28 AM
Given has had some amazing games for Ireland but no way can he claim to have had the same influence as Keane for the 2002 qualifiers.
If anything Kiely was as good a goalie as given at the time.

True to an extent, especially when Given wasn't even our number one at the start of that campaign, but all of Keane's good work would have counted for nowt if it wasn't for Given against Iran.

If we didn't have Given I've no doubt Kiely would have been one of our best keepers ever, but he was unlucky. As you say "at the time" there was little between them but Given just keeps improving in my opinion. We missed him badly in the matches subsequent to the German game and he kept us in it with really good saves against both wales & Slovakia.

bellavistaman
02/08/2007, 10:28 AM
the fact they've Mick not Roy says it all for me. Wouldnt disagree to both on it, but Mick and roy sums up that ****in "organisation"

Billsthoughts
02/08/2007, 10:49 AM
True to an extent, especially when Given wasn't even our number one at the start of that campaign, but all of Keane's good work would have counted for nowt if it wasn't for Given against Iran.

If we didn't have Given I've no doubt Kiely would have been one of our best keepers ever, but he was unlucky. As you say "at the time" there was little between them but Given just keeps improving in my opinion. We missed him badly in the matches subsequent to the German game and he kept us in it with really good saves against both wales & Slovakia.

agree that given has kept improving...but sure hes had lots of practice at newcastle...think people forget how good kiely was tho..really only missed out at the time cause either given was in possesion or was born in ireland.

has o dea played for ireland?

oh and Pat Jennings, Norman Whiteside and George Best were pretty good Irish Internationals.........(that was a freebie Ealing Green!;)

Stuttgart88
02/08/2007, 10:52 AM
has o dea played for ireland?Not at senior level. Stan wanted him for the US trip but Strachan wanted him to warm the bench (not sure if he even made it) for the SFA Cup Final.

By all accounts he's a very mature & level headed lad though.

tetsujin1979
02/08/2007, 11:04 AM
Not at senior level. Stan wanted him for the US trip but Strachan wanted him to warm the bench (not sure if he even made it) for the SFA Cup Final.

By all accounts he's a very mature & level headed lad though.

nope, he didn't make the bench
He picked up a hamstring strain towards the end of the season and was told to rest it over the summer, but he didn't and now isn't expected to play until the end of August.

Bluebeard
02/08/2007, 11:50 AM
Or Phil Babb for that matter....made McGrath look great in '94...
:D
Just spluttered my drink all over the room when I read that.

OwlsFan
02/08/2007, 12:09 PM
Houghton and Townsend rarely had poor games and usually had a major influence and presence throughout the match.

The nature of their game demanded that they Imposed themselves, they were full of intelligent running and never hid or slept through games. I remember during breaks in the play, they'd often encourage or cajole their Irish team mates for more effort.

Good post about Houghton and Andy T. Razor was as influencial in the Charlton teams at his prime as Roy Keane was in the McCarthy teams (when he played or wasn't suspended).

As for Robbie Keane, BillsThoughts, tell me a more skilful striker who has played for Ireland. I know he has a lot of critics because of his hand waving etc, but he is our record scorer and a very talented footballer. Frank Stapleton was the best other centre forward I have seen for us.

Billsthoughts
02/08/2007, 12:45 PM
Thread was called best Irish internationals....Robbie Keane is nowhere near that category. Id say even of the current crop Doyle is a better striker and given the same amount of games as Keane would probably have a better return.

citizenerased
02/08/2007, 12:48 PM
Roy Keane, Paul McGrath, Shay Given, Denis Irwin..

Paddy Garcia
02/08/2007, 7:21 PM
1. McGrath
2. Keane 2. Houghton

4. Brady

Highway was one of the best, as was Lawrenson.

OwlsFan
02/08/2007, 7:52 PM
1. McGrath
2. Keane 2. Houghton

4. Brady

Highway was one of the best, as was Lawrenson.

Paddy, Heighway was a great player but not for us. I saw him play many times in a green jersey and he wasn't the same player who used to terrorise full backs for Liverpool in Division One (as it was called then).