PDA

View Full Version : GUFC Galway races fundraiser

geezer
31/07/2007, 10:39 PM
some fundraising idea at the galway races tonight in the spanking brand new "Killanin stand" by gufc, must have been 50 tables at 3k a pop. Ian rush, Half sunderland,Stan, Pat Devlin, hector, Charlie hurley, Martin Keown to mention a few. Must have raised 100k for the club. How times have changed GUFC are operating at a different level than the majority of clubs with their commercial activities at this stage. Leeson is only beginning to get into his stride and im sure we will see the benefit of this incredible commercial clout over the next few seasons

harry crumb
31/07/2007, 11:02 PM
is is still true that for the rest of his life Leeson must give 50 cent out of every euro earned to Scotland Yard.

LeixlipRed
31/07/2007, 11:05 PM
Leeson is only beginning to get into his stride and im sure we will see the benefit of this incredible commercial clout over the next few seasons

That's what Mr Barrings said shortly before he colapsed in 1995 :D

passerrby
31/07/2007, 11:24 PM
some fundraising idea at the galway races tonight in the spanking brand new "Killanin stand" by gufc, must have been 50 tables at 3k a pop. Ian rush, Half sunderland,Stan, Pat Devlin, hector, Charlie hurley, Martin Keown to mention a few. Must have raised 100k for the club. How times have changed GUFC are operating at a different level than the majority of clubs with their commercial activities at this stage. Leeson is only beginning to get into his stride and im sure we will see the benefit of this incredible commercial clout over the next few seasons

ya ewen mc gregor thinks he,s the biss as well

Claret Murph
01/08/2007, 6:21 AM
Lads you may take the pi$$ but how many of you would like to have him as your CEO at your club ????????:):):) As we all know the man knows what he is doing at Galway United and the club is on the way up .

sonofstan
01/08/2007, 7:20 AM
Lads you may take the pi$$ but how many of you would like to have him as your CEO at your club ?

oh, yes

RonnieB
01/08/2007, 8:02 AM
What race was Keown running in?

Ronnie
01/08/2007, 9:10 AM
Credit due, Leeson is dojng things now that the rest of us would love - he probably turned Sunderland game from 100k to 300k. For a club without a moneybags chair it is the way go.

MyTown
01/08/2007, 9:25 AM
Let's not get carried away.

The revenue from this gig is nowhere near the figures quoted.

Nick Leeson deserves credit for dovetailing the Sunderland visit with the Galway races and making some money for the club into the bargain.

Corporate hospitality at the races is not new. Longford GAA made over €200k at Punchestown in April. The Fianna Fail annual gig is the stuff of legends now, but this was Galway Uniteds first attempt. It may well be a one off, but fair play to Leeson for seeing the opportunity and doing his best to make the most of it and the most out of it.

Tir Oilean
01/08/2007, 9:38 AM
As far as i am aware he must only pay over a percentage on money he makes off his Barings episode. Thats why he wanted to get a proper job and how well has he done!

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 9:59 AM
Im getting a bit sick of the preachy attitude coming from Galway, great ye did a fundrasier , whoopty doo. Lads there is events going on up and down the country every day of the week but no-one is running around shouting it from the rooftops just fuppin get on with it, as they say "self praise is no praise"

Hitman
01/08/2007, 10:06 AM
What race was Keown running in?

He's probably still chasing Van Nistelrooy after that penalty miss.

GuisaSaigon
01/08/2007, 11:25 AM
He's probably still chasing Van Nistelrooy after that penalty miss.

Hector started singing Ruud Van Nistelrooy to Keown the whole place was in stiches!:) Top day well done to all involved.

Tir Oilean
01/08/2007, 11:57 AM
Im getting a bit sick of the preachy attitude coming from Galway, great ye did a fundrasier , whoopty doo. Lads there is events going on up and down the country every day of the week but no-one is running around shouting it from the rooftops just fuppin get on with it, as they say "self praise is no praise"

Geezer is praisin the organisation of the event. Its rare enough anyone gets praise for doing anything in the EL. Its simply a show of appreciation for the work the club is doing to keep the show on the road. There is nothing wrong with that.

pateen
01/08/2007, 12:02 PM
No way Martin Keown paid his part for a table. That Keown family in galway (martins uncles) are famous for how tight and mayne they are

jebus
01/08/2007, 12:12 PM
Nick Leeson deserves credit

Probably the first time someone who isn't Nick Leeson has said that in manys a year

sligoman
01/08/2007, 12:31 PM
As far as i am aware he must only pay over a percentage on money he makes off his Barings episode. Thats why he wanted to get a proper job and how well has he done!Galway probably paying him extra just to cover his losses.

Conor H
01/08/2007, 12:50 PM
Galway probably paying him extra just to cover his losses.

100% incorrect.

As for the Waterford fan getting a bit peeved....grow up.Waterford are making no efforts to get them our of the small club bracket so don't have a go at GUFC for taking strides.

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 1:05 PM
100% incorrect.

As for the Waterford fan getting a bit peeved....grow up.Waterford are making no efforts to get them our of the small club bracket so don't have a go at GUFC for taking strides.

Ther is plenty of efforts going on throughout the city, but when we organise things we dont come on forums looking for a backslap, we just get on with it , just because ye were a joke of a club for years and then got yer act together two or three years back you think your a big club, dont make me laugh.

Conor H
01/08/2007, 1:08 PM
Ok fair enough.

Delusions of grandeur....

Tir Oilean
01/08/2007, 1:10 PM
Sorry now but you seem to have missed my point. the lads who organised it are not on this forum it is the fans who are praising them. It is not self praise.

jebus
01/08/2007, 1:21 PM
Sorry now but you seem to have missed my point. the lads who organised it are not on this forum it is the fans who are praising them. It is not self praise.

Not being funny but shouldn't this be in the Galway section then? If it's just for you lot to praise whoever organised it for your club? If it's in the Eircom League forum then it's fair game for Tis-smeee to have a pop about Galway fans back slapping each other in my opinion

NY Hoop
01/08/2007, 2:51 PM
Calm down. Fair play to any club that makes any extra money in a country where the vast majority of people think the league here doesnt exist.

KOH

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 3:28 PM
Thank you Jebus:)

geezer
01/08/2007, 4:38 PM
think alike. Lads the only reason i put these comments up is so that every other club could come up take a look at these events, talk to the leesons ask them how they do it, go back to limerick racecourse or tramore whatever try similiar ideas, stop ffn moanin and begrudging and every club in the league will do itself a favour and stop blamin the fai, fairweathers, man utd fans, the gaa, the ruggers for their woes and beggin bowl mentality. Maybe then maybe your tide of misery may turn. Supporters give out a lot and when credit is due its only right people get acknowledged for setting benchmarks. GUFC promotions officer is another example of how to do things

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 6:04 PM
Yeah Galway is Great we have never held a race day in tramore nor even thought about it, thanx for your guidance, the league would be lost without your inspirational leadership

number16
01/08/2007, 6:20 PM
Sounds like GU got it right on this one. Are there examples from Tramore/Limerick or other places where good/new/novel idea's have been used? What Leeson has done is to attach the GU brand to Sunderland's and gotten a few business type's to cough up the readies to watch bad horses, consume a dodgy meal, and hob nob with "personalities". Seems like credit is due for that - anything that helps to promote our game, and puts much needed cash into the game.
BTW - I do not approve of the beer tent being constructed for the game - that's short sighted, but the corporate gig in Ballybrit is something that other codes have used successfully in the past.

Tis-smeee
01/08/2007, 6:23 PM
Are there examples from Tramore/Limerick or other places where good/new/novel idea's have been used? What Leeson has done is to attach the GU brand to Sunderland's and gotten a few business type's to cough up the readies to watch bad horses

Yes there is certainly examples of it down here anyway and is that not what leeson is paid to do?Your really starting to turn me off gufc tbh

jebus
01/08/2007, 7:13 PM
What Leeson has done is to attach the GU brand to Sunderland's

The GU brand, ffs, everything wrong with the typical Galway supporter in one short sentence.

As for Geezer, I'm sorry if I upset you in your metropolis from my small town :rolleyes: but all I said was that tis-smeee was entitled to comment on this since you posted it in the eircom forum, and not the galway one, but i suppose whatever I say these days, no matter what it is, is enough to bump me higher on Galway's Obsessive-Hate list

exiled_gufc_fan
01/08/2007, 7:23 PM
Jebus any truth in the rumor that you are going down to Terryland on Friday night to lend a hand at the first annual GUFC Cake sale ?

They want the GUFC brand to be synomonus with cakes sales in Ireland. There will be plenty of flag waving drump beating and cake mixing and making a special guest appearence will be there lotto machine who is fresh from wirlwind tour of the states.

:D :D

jebus
01/08/2007, 7:25 PM
Jebus any truth in the rumor that you are going down to Terryland on Friday night to lend a hand at the first annual GUFC Cake sale ?

You must be joking, I'm the Michael Collins to their British Intelligence, they go through photos of Limerick fans hoping for some clue as to who I am so I'm hardly going to step out in the open like that, even if it involves cake :p

cheifo
01/08/2007, 9:32 PM
Well done Galway.I would agree they are going about their business better than most if not all.The new type of punter wont come for just the love of the team like we all do.They need to be sold on the idea particularly if you are trying to attract families.Gates of over 3000 for a team that never wins at home speaks volumes for the people selling the matches as an event.
How can anybody say they are not interested in how they have done it when its clear most of our clubs are struggling?
Now just get rid of Hector, hes awful annoying:p

Paddyfield
01/08/2007, 10:10 PM
Now just get rid of Hector, hes awful annoying:p

When Hector stood up to speak, GUISAigon shouted "it's the poor man's Tommy Tiernan" :D

Now, back on topic. For years, GUFC were selling £1-a-line draws and 50p half time raffles to win a bottle of yellow pack Plonk. There was little accountability and players often fled akin to rats on a sinking ship.

The new Board have brought the Club to a new level. Every year, the Club organise:

The Famous Fives whereby Irish and British soap actors play in a five a side competition

There's a Black and White Ball (2k per table) and this year there were 70 tables. Mario Rosenstock was guest speaker...
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ok6WAoPQk

There's an inter firm Golf outing.

Look at http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/events.html

There's also the United Air where the Club fill plane loads of locals from Galway Airport to games in Glasgow, Manchester, Sunderland etc including transfers, corporate facilities, hotel, etc etc

And now, there is the Galway Races. There were 109 tables at 3k a pop. I was at it this year and I will got there again next year.

That's not to mention the advertising revenue that the Club is bringing in. The new stand is to be plastered with logos from the Star not to mention advertising on both sides of the jersy and and on the shorts.

But is Waterford can make a few bob from selling cakes, more power to them.

inthestand99
01/08/2007, 10:44 PM
WE'LL see whose the big club Friday night. Dont fancy yer chances in the playoff against cobh either!

geezer
01/08/2007, 10:56 PM
id roll out the red carpet for you at terryland and any lims fan who wants to put a stop to making the eircom league the poor man and his dog sport in ireland. I wasnt at the match tonight as i am preparing for waterford on friday and tbh im nervous about it. I also bought a good number of €50 tickets and gave them to galway people who didnt know where terryland was as long as they brought their kids and see for themselves the quality of el teams and facilities. my own form of promotion and some of them kids just might want to come back. Add in the work that GUST members do all year round standing in shopping centres flogging merchandise, season tickets and lotto jebus than one day it could click with the die hard LOI supporter who sniggers at the barstoolers. We may even convnce you start with a "DVD" showcasing what your club,city/county has to offer

MyTown
02/08/2007, 11:02 AM
I wasnt at the match tonight as i am preparing for waterford on friday and tbh im nervous

Are you playing on Friday night??
Did Tony Cousins make a new signing??

A bit OTT no??

Yes BB definitely OTT - bit like your sorties in the media really:rolleyes:

I heard you were quite a decent footballer. So fair play, but no need to hammer supporters and benefactors who aren't afraid to express their feelings for the club on a club forum.

gufct
03/08/2007, 1:25 PM
Chill out Mytown - was just taking the psis a small bit! Geezer writes good posts but that was over the top
I think it was Shankly that said "Football is not life and death - its more important than that" - that was bullshti.
It's only a football match - nobody will die - there is no need to get so stressed about it.
I mean last week when one of the posters apologised for not being able to make the match against Derry becasue he had a wedding and he said he'd be in bits all day waiting for the result - I mean come on - I laughed out loud reading that. FFS -enjoy the wedding will ya! I'd say he was great company at the wedding - dancing along to Pyramid or Discovery with a walkman in his ear!! I'd say the wedding crowd thought he was breakdancing when Murphy missed the penalty1

No they were all wondering what the score was B.B..