PDA

View Full Version : Paul Murphy

Dodge
31/07/2007, 12:18 PM
Apparently he's going to UCD on loan from Pats.

He's a striker who's played 3/4 times as sub since signing for us at the end of the UK season (after being let go by Man City)

He's a good bit overweight but is strong as an ox and has been very prolific for the u21s

passinginterest
31/07/2007, 12:30 PM
Apparently he's going to UCD on loan from Pats.

He's a striker who's played 3/4 times as sub since signing for us at the end of the UK season (after being let go by Man City)

He's a good bit overweight but is strong as an ox and has been very prolific for the u21s

I used to play with Paul in Wexford and he scored something like 60 goals in one season between U12 and U14 teams. He scored about 20 for the U14s and he was on the right wing (obviously playing alongside a fantastic center mid playmaker helped him enormously) we won the league and lost a cup semi final replay (Paul missed it injured). Yes I'm still living on past glories. :D

A couple of years later he headed off to City, I think they played him as a center half a bit and he never really broke through. Suffered a lot from injuries and possibly a poor attitude over the years. He was released by City about 2 years ago. Knocked around a couple of non-league sides in England before coming back to Bray. Brian Kerr offered him a contract at Pats on condition that he lost at least a stone. The last time I saw him was Pats at home to Sligo and I'd say he still had another stone to go.

Great talent though and I always thought he was a nice enough fella. Hope it works out well for him.

Poor Student
31/07/2007, 12:30 PM

Sounds like our own John Brophy at Shels! We could do with a forward who has that kind of presence.

DmanDmythDledge
31/07/2007, 4:24 PM
Sound like a talented player. Seems to be a winger but presumably we've signed him to fill the gap Paul Byrne has left upfront, although if he can't get fit training full time at Pats I don't think he will training part time with us.

passinginterest
31/07/2007, 4:29 PM
Sound like a talented player. Seems to be a winger but presumably we've signed him to fill the gap Paul Byrne has left upfront, although if he can't get fit training full time at Pats I don't think he will training part time with us.

He was always more of a forward, especially these days. He used to be very quick, not sure how the extra weight and injuries will have left him pace wise.

He was involved with the Irish underage teams up to at least U17 possibly up to U19.

superfrank
31/07/2007, 4:31 PM
Paul Murphy.......I remember him.

He played for us for about three months in 2005. He showed some glimpses of class but for the most part he was really unfit. Even after 2 or 3 months he'd lost a bit of weight but was still very awkward in mobility.

IIRC, he only scored for us once. Pretty sure it was in the 3-2 UCD quarter final that year.

passinginterest
31/07/2007, 4:34 PM
Paul Murphy.......I remember him.

He played for us for about three months in 2005. He showed some glimpses of class but for the most part he was really unfit. Even after 2 or 3 months he'd lost a bit of weight but was still very awkward in mobility.

IIRC, he only scored for us once. Pretty sure it was in the 3-2 UCD quarter final that year.

Himself and Conor Sinnott were there at the same time. Neither played that often, they were team mates at All Blacks FC in Wexford as schoolboys.

superfrank
31/07/2007, 4:38 PM
Himself and Conor Sinnott were there at the same time. Neither played that often, they were team mates at All Blacks FC in Wexford as schoolboys.
I remember Conor Sinnott too. His problem was there was so much hype surrounding him he failed to live up to any of our ridiculous expectations. He only played a handful of games. He was a big part of the under 21's team that year that won the Enda McGill.

He was there longer than Murphy. He joined in late April/early May and left for Reading at the end of the season. Murphy joined at the end of July and left in November, iirc.

BrayUnknowns
31/07/2007, 4:58 PM
He was pure muck when he was with us, about 4 stone over weight and had the mobility of a 45. Can't believe he actually ended up at St Pats.... He was released from Man City and then joined a non-League outfit in england before Devo brought him to Bray, was released at the end of the season and went back to non-League in england. Pats didn't sign him from Man City because he had left them before he played for us.

new blue
31/07/2007, 4:59 PM
One of the best players ever at underage to come out of Wexford. Brilliant at headers and took no prisoners - very skillful.
The wheels came off the wagon a little but hopefully he can put them back on now. Good luck to him. Kerr can spot a good prospect and hopefully he'll deliver.

pineapple stu
31/07/2007, 6:27 PM
Apparently we've also signed (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=736614&postcount=32) Peter Hynes on loan from Derry. A Pat Fenlon signing. Didn't think Pete Mahon did panic buys, but...

Bald Student
31/07/2007, 6:34 PM
How old is this fella?

DmanDmythDledge
31/07/2007, 6:35 PM
How old is this fella?
Murphy is 22.

Dodge
31/07/2007, 7:06 PM
Apparently we've also signed (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=736614&postcount=32) Peter Hynes on loan from Derry. A Pat Fenlon signing. Didn't think Pete Mahon did panic buys, but...
So in about 13 months he's gone from Dublin City to Dundalk to being sacked, then on to Newry and then Derry before coming to UCD

Good career

superfrank
31/07/2007, 7:11 PM
Up there with Lee Roche.

Rovers, Glentoran, Pats, Bray and Shels between Novemebr 2005 and January 2007.

pineapple stu
31/07/2007, 7:17 PM
So in about 13 months he's gone from Dublin City to Dundalk to being sacked, then on to Newry and then Derry before coming to UCD

Good career
Sacked with Dublin City effectively too, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hynes) ("Hynes' sojourn with the Vikings was to end in acrimony, as he was substituted for disciplinary reasons after just four minutes of the then-relegated City's final fixture against Shamrock Rovers at Tolka Park".)

I like this though - "However, he was released by Dundalk following a breach of club discipline on November 14, 2006.[6] He was deemed to have rang John Gill the Dundalk FC manager while out celebrating with rival players of Shamrock Rovers and making unprofessional remarks to him which left Gill no choice but to release him."

Lee Roche was also with Dublin City for one game.

Dodge
31/07/2007, 7:35 PM
More than likely Sheridan from this board wrote that. He's usually spot on

CollegeTillIDie
03/08/2007, 9:28 AM
I see so we have a person of American Football player dimensions, who is from Wexford and person with the disciplinary problems to match his potential talent. Well the big guy from Wexford, could turn into the new Willie Doyle (2004 vintage). Hynes seems to be using UCD as a last chance saloon. There were reports that Pete was looking for 2 full timers. So perhaps these are they . Interesting times ahead... and I hope not in the Chinese sense of the word interesting......

kdjaC
05/08/2007, 7:26 PM
Why are UCD signing 2 strikers on loan? Anyone being sold soon?

kdjac

pineapple stu
05/08/2007, 7:28 PM
Can only assume it's because of our usual strike force problems.

Paul Byrne's our best striker by a distance but is injured; Sammon's increasingly frustrating, McWalter's only back from a nine-month injury, Forsyth and Purcell are promising but very inexperienced.

Although I have to admit that I'm surprised we signed one forward, let alone two.