PDA

View Full Version : Employment Question

Magicme
29/07/2007, 2:06 PM
If the organisation u work for discovered that they had given you your yearly increment 4 months too early would they be within their rights to take back 4 months worth of payments from u over the coming 4 months?

the 12 th man
29/07/2007, 2:24 PM
I'd say it would be treated in the same way as if you discovered you were underpaid,and they can claw it back off you.

Magicme
29/07/2007, 2:42 PM
Its so feckin annoying tho! Was their stupid mistake. GRRRRR

soccerc
29/07/2007, 2:45 PM
If the organisation u work for discovered that they had given you your yearly increment 4 months too early would they be within their rights to take back 4 months worth of payments from u over the coming 4 months?

Simply, Yes

sligoman
29/07/2007, 2:47 PM
What if you quit, can they still look for it back if you no longer work for them?

pete
29/07/2007, 2:48 PM
What is a yearly increment? :confused:

Moderator Note: Can you please create threads with more accurate titles as "Question" means nothing.

Magicme
29/07/2007, 2:55 PM
sorry Pete....am a bit stressed at mo!

The yearly increment is the increase in wages given for each year of service.

Yeah I want to know that too Sligoman sayin as my contract mite not be renewed in Sept will I still have to pay them back if am on the dole??

GavinZac
29/07/2007, 3:03 PM
Yeah I want to know that too Sligoman sayin as my contract mite not be renewed in Sept will I still have to pay them back if am on the dole??legally you owe them money. according to the contract, your employment ends in september, however that doesnt mean the contract ceases to exist, no more than a purchase contract can 'expire'.

Magicme
29/07/2007, 3:07 PM
Yikes.

GavinZac
29/07/2007, 3:12 PM
Yikes.

I'm sure you could come to some amicable settlement with them, e.g. paying a little off per week or have the next increment delayed.

did you notice the increment at the time?

Magicme
29/07/2007, 3:20 PM
yes I noticed it but didnt think much about it coz thought it was just part of usual increases due to government agreements. When I had my hours in work changed and didnt get the increase due to me coz I was working longer hours I didnt say anything until my next contract meeting & had been getting less than I was due for bout 6 months. Only got the increase from then on so think they should have played fair with me this time.

They have decided they should take it out each month rather than ask me to pay it back in one go.

soccerc
29/07/2007, 3:59 PM
They have decided they should take it out each month rather than ask me to pay it back in one go.

Legally can't take it in one go and any deductions from your salary, otehr than stautory, ie Paye and PRSI , and can only be at a rate and time scale agreed by you. (Truck Acts, Payment of Wages Act, Organisation of WOrking TIme Act, some parts have been repealed).

KoemansCC
29/07/2007, 9:02 PM
The same happened to me last year, I came off shift work around January/February but they still paid me the shift premium each month up until October. I informed them on numerous occasions that I was being overpaid but to no avail. Eventually the payroll department came back to me sometime in October and 'informed' me that I was being overpaid and that I owed them approx €4000 which had to be paid back before the end of the year to keep there books in order...the cheek. That basically meant that they were 'informing' me that I wasn't going to be paid for November or December:confused:.

I checked my rights and yes, legally I had to pay all the money back but it had to be on terms that were agreeable to both parties . So I 'informed' them that I would pay back the money over a 12 month period even though I could have paid in a lump sum....**** them, their **** up....:D