PDA

View Full Version : The plastic paddies we nearly had

Pages : [1] 2

ofjames
29/07/2007, 5:24 AM
In light of the tim cahill thread, i decided to try put together a panel of players that nearly (or not so nearly) ended up pulling on a green jersey. Probably the most pointless thread ever posted but howinever

GK: Mark Beeney, John Filan

DEF: Zat Knight, Steve Bruce, Frank Quedrue, Martin Keown

MID: Darren Fletcher, Kieran Richardson, Vinny Jones, Kevin Nolan, Aaron Lennon, Tim Cahill

FWD: Chris Armstrong, Wayne Rooney, Willy Wonka

Any others lads?

theworm2345
29/07/2007, 6:04 AM
We didn't almost have him but I think would've qualified, Steven Gerrard. (I think this because his cousin, Anthony Gerrard, I think was eligible to play for us, though it could've been the other side of the family)

dr_peepee
29/07/2007, 9:24 AM
Scholes and Gasgoigne could've.... But much like Rooney they never even considered it.

Sean Dundee!!!

Torn-Ado
29/07/2007, 9:32 AM
Kevin Gallen

Lionel Ritchie
29/07/2007, 9:38 AM
Ashley Ward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Ward) could've had a decent run with us.

tetsujin1979
29/07/2007, 10:17 AM
I remember an interview with Jimmy Greaves saying he qualified for Ireland, but he no interest in playing for us, even if he had been approached.

stiofain
29/07/2007, 10:17 AM
Rio Ferdinand's mother is Irish. He says so in his book.

stiofain
29/07/2007, 10:19 AM
Lucas Neill as well. I think Mick McCarthy actuctally called him up to one of his first squads but he rejected it.

Torn-Ado
29/07/2007, 10:36 AM
Dave Kitson

Bungle
29/07/2007, 12:28 PM
Jamie Carragher could have, as could Steve McManaman. Remember Brian Kerr saying that he once went to a Liverpool-Everton youth game when he was an underage manager and about 80% of the players were either Irish or could have played for us.

Rooney is very Irish and I've a feeling if he'd been approached as a youngster he would have declared for us. All four of his grandparents are Irish.

Michael Carrick and Gareth Barry are probably eligible as well.

DeNiro
29/07/2007, 1:37 PM
GK: Kevin Pressman, Simon Tracey

DEF: Ian Nolan, Phil Whelan, Brian Kilcline, Neil Kilkenny

MID: Steve Froggatt, Kevin Harper (declared for Scotland)

FWD: Dean Holdsworth, Chris Sutton (apparently had connections),

GavinZac
29/07/2007, 2:13 PM
Dan Murray

theworm2345
29/07/2007, 3:34 PM
We didn't almost have him but I think would've qualified, Steven Gerrard. (I think this because his cousin, Anthony Gerrard, I think was eligible to play for us, though it could've been the other side of the family)
Nevermind, obviously Steven and Anthony are related on their dad's side and it says Anthony is eligible through his mother's side

dr_peepee
29/07/2007, 4:01 PM
Joe Lapira:D

Noelys Guitar
29/07/2007, 4:04 PM
Vinnie Jones!

Irish_Praha
29/07/2007, 5:05 PM
Marlon King

DeNiro
29/07/2007, 5:49 PM
Lucas Neill as well. I think Mick McCarthy actuctally called him up to one of his first squads but he rejected it.

That's interesting. I don't ever remember his name coming up.

Others that could have played included Joe Corrigan, Kevin Keegan, Peter Reid, Steve McMahon. I think Craig Johnston could have played as well.

It's funny how it's not so common these days to get players declaring their eligibility or maybe it happens a lot younger. No doubt if we miraculously qualify for Euro 2008, we'll have someone a la Clinton Morrisson present their case for inclusion.

ofjames
29/07/2007, 6:24 PM
seeing as rio's mam is irish, im gona take a wild guess and say that anton ferdinand would also have been eligible

stiofain
29/07/2007, 7:08 PM
I didnt say Anton Ferdindand as he wouldnt get a game for us.

In regards to Lucas Neill, I've had a quick look on google but i cant find anything to back up that Mick McCarthy tried to bring him into the Ireland set up. I'm 99% sure i read this some time ago and didnt just dream it up. His father is from Belfast and McCarthy would have known him from thier time together at Millwall. I think it was one of McCarthy's first squads that he named him in, but Neill turned it down.

theworm2345
29/07/2007, 7:14 PM

In regards to Lucas Neill, I've had a quick look on google but i cant find anything to back up that Mick McCarthy tried to bring him into the Ireland set up. I'm 99% sure i read this some time ago and didnt just dream it up. His father is from Belfast and McCarthy would have known him from thier time together at Millwall. I think it was one of McCarthy's first squads that he named him in, but Neill turned it down.
If he wanted to he still could, I think there is a way that, even if you're capped at u21 level, you can change your team, though it isn't easy. He's never been capped for England so maybe something to consider in the future, even though he may not be the best option.

tetsujin1979
29/07/2007, 7:50 PM
John O'Brien, US and former Ajax winger qualified for us IIRC

Torn-Ado
29/07/2007, 7:57 PM
Going a bit off topic here but the above post reminded me of an American decathlete called Dan O Brien who won gold in the decathlon in Atlanta for the US. Apparently he had signed the papers to represent Ireland but missed the deadline and ended up representing the States.

ofjames
29/07/2007, 10:22 PM

Considering the defensive options we have at the moment, i cant really understand how you think anton wouldnt get caps for us if he was interested. Beyond mcshane and dunne we have crap all at centre half.

Also, with regard to Neill, i remember that he was down as having dual nationality in one of the championship manager games, it was when he was a millwall player so i think it was CM00/01. And as we all know CM / FM is an infallible gospel of football trivia:D

Neill is a money hungry **** anyway so no great loss

tetsujin1979
29/07/2007, 11:30 PM
Beyond mcshane and dunne we have crap all at centre half.

Hmmmm.......
Alex Bruce
Colin Hawkins
Paddy McCarthy
Darren O'Dea
Richard Keogh
Cliff Byrne
Sean St Ledger
Andy O'Brien
Gary Doherty
Damien Delaney
all playing in the Championship or Scottish Premiership or Premier League

ofjames
30/07/2007, 10:03 AM
Hmmmm.......
Alex Bruce
Colin Hawkins
Paddy McCarthy
Darren O'Dea
Richard Keogh
Cliff Byrne
Sean St Ledger
Andy O'Brien
Gary Doherty
Damien Delaney
all playing in the Championship or Scottish Premiership or Premier League

That's a bit of a lazy description of that group of players,

Not one of the above players plays in the Premier League, Andy O'Brien may be paid by Portsmouth, but he made 3 league appearances for them last season (two as substitute), and i'd put my hat on it that he won't exceed that this year either! Added to the fact that he is very crap, the fact he hasnt looked for a move (even a loan) away from pompey this summer also makes him out as a greedy bugger who is willing to let the best years of his career go down the sh*tter. He's a long, long way off ever playing for ireland again IMO.

Also, Darren O'Dea - who does look like he could be a good player - is at best, third choice CB at celtic (at worst fifth choice!!). An occasional starter and decent prospect, nothing more.

From his time at Spurs, Gary Doherty is widely regarded as being one of the very worst players in premiership history. An average championship player at best.

Cliff Byrne has never played championship football before, either has keogh (apart from maybe a few mins from his time at stoke). Both of their clubs are likely to be relegation fodder this season, they seem like decent pro's but it's hard to say whether they're ever going to be anything near even premiership standard.

Neither McCarthy or St. Ledger has ever played league football at a higher level than the Championship, maybe there's a good reason for this fact? Good championship players they are, but are they anything better than that?

Alex Bruce was rejected by two premiership clubs, although he seems a good championship player, I cant see him ever being as good as his dad was.

Hawkins is too old for international consideration now, missed the boat at this stage.

Championship is Delaney's level, not good enough for anything higher.

Therefore, given what i consider to be the pretty shoddy back up we currently have at CB, Anton Ferdo, as a premiership regular of 3 years experience, would walk straight into our squad as first choice back up to dunne or mcshane

galwayhoop
30/07/2007, 11:18 AM
Therefore, given what i consider to be the pretty shoddy back up we currently have at CB, Anton Ferdo, as a premiership regular of 3 years experience, would walk straight into our squad as first choice back up to dunne or mcshane

i have to agree with you as much as i hate (don't really know why) anton and rio ferdinand.

even more so as our current manager seems to have a blind preference of players signed to clubs (and not necissarily playing regularly) in the premiership over those playing in the championship.

shakermaker1982
30/07/2007, 11:40 AM
Anton Ferdinand would turn his nose up at the idea of joining up with us and thank **** for that.

Stuttgart88
30/07/2007, 11:52 AM
i have to agree with you as much as i hate (don't really know why) anton and rio ferdinand.

even more so as our current manager seems to have a blind preference of players signed to clubs (and not necissarily playing regularly) in the premiership over those playing in the championship.I wonder if Glenn Whelan goes to Reading if he'll suddenly jump up 10 midfield places in Stan's plans!

Closed Account
30/07/2007, 12:01 PM
I wonder if Glenn Whelan goes to Reading if he'll suddenly jump up 10 midfield places in Stan's plans!
Rumours like that, Whelan to Reading, i always wonder about them, i mean its not really in the english medias interest to just make up something like that, so you have to assume there is some substance to it. Whether or not the transfer will go through is sceptical. Coppell is in the market though... (http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306%7E1081018,00.html)

paul_oshea
30/07/2007, 12:32 PM
did he know who you were though paddy?

Torn-Ado
30/07/2007, 3:58 PM
Rio Ferdinand's mother is Irish. He says so in his book.

Are ya serious.

I'm kind of dissapointed now, knowing that it was Irish genes that aided the creation of that hideous head and face.

seand
30/07/2007, 4:15 PM
I heard a rumour that Alfredo di Stefano had an Irish grandmother, but I'd ber a bit dubious about that one! :-)

stiofain
30/07/2007, 4:32 PM
Are ya serious.

I'm kind of dissapointed now, knowing that it was Irish genes that aided the creation of that hideous head and face.

Brilliant!

stiofain
30/07/2007, 5:28 PM
I heard a rumour that Alfredo di Stefano had an Irish grandmother, but I'd ber a bit dubious about that one! :-)

Wikipedia supports that. Mind you....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Di_St%C3%A9fano

SkStu
30/07/2007, 7:14 PM
Che Guevaras granny (his dad Ernesto Guevara Lynch's mother) was from Clare (maybe Tipp). Che was a handy left winger in his day... ;)

holidaysong
30/07/2007, 7:21 PM
Che was a handy left winger in his day... ;)

:D :D

theworm2345
30/07/2007, 7:41 PM
Che Guevaras granny (his dad Ernesto Guevara Lynch's mother) was from Clare (maybe Tipp). Che was a handy left winger in his day... ;)
Guevara was a rugby player

SaucyJack
30/07/2007, 8:28 PM
Diego Forlan is listed in the Uruguayans of Irish descent(okay there's only 3), didn't know that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Irish_Uruguayans

RiffRaff
30/07/2007, 8:47 PM
Argentina have also had a few players with Irish names over the years. One of the goalscorers in the 86 world cup final was of irish descent. I also remember watching an Argentina match on eurosport a few years ago and they had a player called McAllister playing who was apparantly also of Irish descent. Maybe that shouldnt be such a surprise as there was a huge number of Irish people who emigrated to south american countries and there are still some areas in Argentina where Irish is the spoken language.

holidaysong
30/07/2007, 8:58 PM
... and there are still some areas in Argentina where Irish is the spoken language.

Not true. There is a Welsh speaking community in Argentina, not an Irish speaking one.

stiofain
30/07/2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah the BBC did a programme about that Welsh speaking community in Argentina. Fascinating stuff.

Metrostars
31/07/2007, 12:33 AM
Argentina have also had a few players with Irish names over the years. One of the goalscorers in the 86 world cup final was of irish descent. I also remember watching an Argentina match on eurosport a few years ago and they had a player called McAllister playing who was apparantly also of Irish descent. Maybe that shouldnt be such a surprise as there was a huge number of Irish people who emigrated to south american countries and there are still some areas in Argentina where Irish is the spoken language.

Jose Luis Brown I think.

Also a few more Americans - recently capped Michael Parkhurst's father is from Cavan. Greg Berhalter's mother is from Galway. Not sure about Brian McBride.

CraftyToePoke
31/07/2007, 1:03 AM
wha about Landon Donovan? and a guy who played in italy a few years back called Fabien O'Neill (i think he was from Uruguay, but is not on the wikpedia list above.)

Noelys Guitar
31/07/2007, 4:45 AM
I remember this "chappie" who wanted to declare for us. It went on for a couple of weeks and then no granny could be found. "Sure I drink Guinness". etc etc. And yes he actually said that. Introducing one Mick Quinn.
http://www.sportcartoons.co.uk/mickquinn.html

RiffRaff
31/07/2007, 11:41 AM
Not true. There is a Welsh speaking community in Argentina, not an Irish speaking one.

There are some Irish speaking areas in Argentina. I've read a few articles about it though i cant give a reference to them. I have also been told that by a few Argentinian people.

Metrostars
31/07/2007, 12:22 PM
There are some Irish speaking areas in Argentina. I've read a few articles about it though i cant give a reference to them. I have also been told that by a few Argentinian people.

I read an article recently about how hurling was popular in some parts of Argentina but it more or less did out in the 1940's. Have to dig that one out...

RogerMilla
31/07/2007, 12:43 PM
There are some Irish speaking areas in Argentina. .

i cant find anything about this in google and never heard it before, surely we would have been told that in school and it would be the subject of numerous RTE and TnaG documantaries and visits from hector

OwlsFan
31/07/2007, 1:12 PM
Hate that phrase "plastic paddy":mad:. Usually used by those who don't have blood relatives born abroad. I have two brothers with children born in the UK and Germany. I wouldn't describe them as "plastic paddies" if they were ever good enough to play for Ireland. Countless generations before them came from Ireland.

Thank heavens for the wild geese, that's what I say.

paul_oshea
31/07/2007, 1:30 PM
I read an article recently about how hurling was popular in some parts of Argentina but it more or less did out in the 1940's. Have to dig that one out...

sunday independent, an article about the buenos aires hurling club, that is still a social club for irish descendants. They like tipperary cos they have the same colours as Boca Juniors :D

lopez
31/07/2007, 2:05 PM
There are some Irish speaking areas in Argentina. I've read a few articles about it though i cant give a reference to them. I have also been told that by a few Argentinian people.The main Irish newspaper of Argentina is the Southern Cross and is nearly all in Spanish now though originally in English (odd bits are still in English and Irish with basic Irish lessons for beginners). It is truly surreal to see such a publication, mostly bought by people whose family have been in the country for three or more generations.

http://www.thesoutherncross.com.ar/