PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland Hiring Full Time League Of Ireland Scout

Kivlehan
28/07/2007, 12:19 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=38508-qqqx=1.asp

“A lot of (big English) clubs will admit that they did not take it too seriously but I think the two Cork City lads — Kevin Doyle and Shane Long — who went to Reading have given everybody a reminder that there are talented players in Ireland,” Keane said in Dublin yesterday ahead of the Black Cats’ three game tour here.

“I’m meeting somebody tonight with a view to appointing a person who can scout the League of Ireland. If you can handle the physical side of the League here then you definitely have a chance of doing well in England.

“Cork’s Roy O’Donovan is going to Fulham for decent money too and League of Ireland clubs are copping on and getting a fair few bob for players. That’s great. He is one I was aware of, one we watched, but we’re pretty fortunate in that position, so he was one we let go.

“The Irish scene is something we probably have not covered properly but I have to say that lots of clubs have not covered it properly. And not just the Premier Division but the First Division too. I watched Cobh and Dundalk a few weeks ago and there were lots of good young lads playing.”

Buller
28/07/2007, 9:59 AM
Hmmmm... Good or bad or both?

LeixlipRed
28/07/2007, 10:02 AM
Think Roddy will be pimping himself for this job? :D

shelbourne1904
28/07/2007, 10:14 AM
He wont get it

incident
28/07/2007, 10:44 AM
I can't really see why this is considered newsworthy to be honest - most notable English clubs already have scouts in Ireland watching both LOI and Youth football.. I know that Tommy Gaynor has spent the last few years scouting for Forest, until Kilkenny appointed him manager.

centre mid
28/07/2007, 11:18 AM
I can't really see why this is considered newsworthy to be honest - most notable English clubs already have scouts in Ireland watching both LOI and Youth football.. I know that Tommy Gaynor has spent the last few years scouting for Forest, until Kilkenny appointed him manager.

Its just the Keane factor

pete
28/07/2007, 12:50 PM
Does any UK club have a fulltime irish scout?

I wonder who will be on the short list? Pat Dolan & Pat Devlin already have freelance scouting jobs so would probably not want to be tied down to one club...

superfrank
28/07/2007, 12:55 PM
At least it's better than the national team's league scouting policy. I think it'll maybe bring more profile to the league and thanks to Cork (grrr :D), the prices will be rising.

soccerc
28/07/2007, 1:20 PM
Does any UK club have a fulltime irish scout?

Yes and very active ones at that.:)

sligoman
28/07/2007, 1:38 PM
Sean Connor will probably apply for it. Roddy for Bohs then:D

dundalksarge
30/07/2007, 5:00 AM
Wally Murphy in dundalk is Manchester united scout in ireland

bellavistaman
30/07/2007, 7:43 AM
Suppose hes going to go with some12 he trusts, could be Eddie O'Rourke from cobh who roy is good friends with, possibly a ex rockmount man, with LOI knowledge, will be interesting to see.

Jerry The Saint
30/07/2007, 9:46 AM
Gareth Cronin (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=66903):confused: :)

StephenMcG
30/07/2007, 10:07 AM
Wally Murphy in dundalk is Manchester united scout in ireland

They have a scout in Dublin as well or did have anyway. He'd always be at the DDSL AGMs etc.