PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On New Kit...

Pauro 76
27/07/2001, 2:36 PM
Wasnt at the Cardiff game, but just seen the new kit in the Longford News this morning. Very impressive indeed, i was worried becuase Errea make Athlones kit, and i thought we'd end up with a kit exactly like Athlone's only different colours. I was wrong, it kind of reminds me of AC Milans kit, but thats no bad comparison, and with the white border around Flancare gone, it looks a lot less cheaper than the ironed on sponsor name last time. And the fact that no other team will have the same design as us is great too, e.g. Shelbourne, same design as Chelsea away, Shamrock Rovers, same design as Celtic. Good stuff Errea, cant wait to see the away one.... :cool:

James
27/07/2001, 2:39 PM
any pictures online anywhere

Pauro 76
27/07/2001, 2:43 PM
Not on the website yet (hurry up lads!), but check out the Longford News and Leader for pics :)

Macy
27/07/2001, 2:47 PM
No sign of the away kit yet? The new kit looks good - although Lavine doesn't look too happy.
btw Ash - Molloy seems very impressed :)

Macy
27/07/2001, 3:23 PM
Naff black and white pic of the kit here......

Kit Pic (http://www.unison.ie/longford_leader/stories.php3?ca=94&si=481250&issue_id=4947)

And yes I am just trying to kill time on a Friday afternoon :)

James
27/07/2001, 3:37 PM
macy what ye need are some of the longford girls to pose in it ala st pats did
check out st pats website (www.stpatsfc.com)
and go into their superstore

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Macy
27/07/2001, 3:53 PM
That page is already bookmarked.
Ar-gen-tina! Ar-gen-tina! ;)

gheewhizz
27/07/2001, 9:01 PM
The club will launch their NEW MERCHANDISE range Monday week at the latest

Xlex
28/07/2001, 1:47 AM
Pauro7.. How can Shams avoid looking like the Celts??? one only wonders if your trying to beat CCFC's thread. cause i can see the abuse in Barbados.

speaking of which...

Macy,

Your dead f*cking right, Lavine looks so p***ed off,

Sinead.... Could I be banned at such hours of drunkiness.....please!!:)

Sinéad
28/07/2001, 3:16 PM
Honey.....Would I ban you???? Never ;)

Pauro 76
01/08/2001, 2:10 PM
See what ya mean about Miss Argentina in the Pat's kit. Very nice indeedy... Any suggestions on who should model the Town kit? Kirsty Gallacher would look lovely in red and black.... ;)

Ash
01/08/2001, 2:46 PM
i know it was just a black and white pic but it looks the same style as De Athlones , only a diffeent colour!

The old Inter/AC - Athlone/Longford rivalry is back in full swing
:)

Pauro 76
01/08/2001, 3:37 PM
Have A!@^&E Town a new kit this season, cos i heard that LTFC's design wouldnt be used on any other jerseys... Black and blue is quite appropriate for wearing to the Longford game Ash, same colour as your future bruises! ;)

Martystapo
01/08/2001, 4:10 PM
Ash is dat the same Ash Cahill in SIT a few yrs ago, a very good drinking comrade of DC. U know me Marty Stapleton ! I saw your message a few weeks ago. Wot r at now? I am trying to work in Russell Brennan Keane Roscommon. Will ye cum down for the Big Euro match? I am off to Bulgaria to suport them.

:) :)

Macy
01/08/2001, 4:20 PM
Nice potted life story there Marty. Never heard of Private Messages :rolleyes:

fosterdollar
01/08/2001, 5:47 PM
ah yes but a rather touching use of not one but two smileys at the end of the message. just...brings... a ... tear to my eye. You go Marty. And Fly. And live life to the full. Paece man.
:D
:confused:

Snatch
08/08/2001, 9:27 AM
Is it true that Longford Town originally picked red and black in admiration af Bohs? Is it not time for the club to mature and adopt the local colours of yellow and blue (its current away colours, as worn in the cup final)

Surely this would improve the sense of local identity.

What do the members think?

Pauro 76
08/08/2001, 9:37 AM
Ya might have a point, but loads of clubs have their strips in tribute to other clubs, e.g. Shamrock Rovers and Celtic. No point changing when your kit has been same colours for years.

joe
08/08/2001, 9:53 AM
and don't forget Juventus and Notts. County

Snatch
08/08/2001, 9:58 AM
As a Cork City fan I witnessed our dramatic colour change to the county colours of red and white a 4 years ago. It did seem strange at first but has actually been a great decision. We gainned much more affiliation from Cork people through out the county, even G.A.A. folk.
People brought Cork G.A.A. flags to matches etc.

Such a change for L.T.F.C would herald its new status as an ambitious club competing in Europe for the pride of all the sporting people of Longford.

fosterdollar
08/08/2001, 10:09 AM
The whole idea of using county colours in jerseys for some people always seems to be rooted in the appeasing of GAA supporters. The eL doesn't have to get the GAA's support or blessing to play their own sport and gain their own success. When de town travels to Europe, they won't be striking fear into the oppositions hearts because they are wearing the 'county colours'. Fair enough, wearing the colours would have symbollism and meaning, but at this stage Black-and-White has become another set of county colours anyway

Snatch
08/08/2001, 10:51 AM
I don't think we should be trying to appease G.A.A. people but each E.L. club should try and make itself open to as many local supporters as possible. Club colours are a vital means for people to associate themselves with their local club.
I noticed that at the cup final many Longford fans had blue and yellow flags and jerseys. Surely this shows that many would like the change.

A change to blue and yellow jerseys would be in the best interests of L.T.F.C. in promoting themselves as a major sporting club in the area.

boots
08/08/2001, 10:57 AM
Magoo -> Black and White??

Macy
08/08/2001, 10:57 AM
Red and Black have been the clubs colours since formation - no need to change them now. I've heard different stories as to why it's red and black. The one that I've heard for a few years that Bohs donated a kit when the club was set up, but I've also heard that those colours were chosen because they were Bohs colours. Ultimately it doesn't matter as they are our colours as well now.

The changing of the away kit colours made sense and has been a success (witness the number of town away shirts when the county played in Croker), and if it helps people get involved than all well and good, but there's no need to through history away....

Has Cork had as many different colours as it's had names - no one could compete with that ;)

Snatch
08/08/2001, 11:07 AM
It was only a suggestion, but is there anybody out there who agrees with me?

Could to see that Town's page is so active. Best of luck in Europe.
I'll see you all in Flancare Park on Sunday, at last the league is back.
Cork City abu.

P.S. Macy, have Town won as many trophies as Cork teams have?;)

fosterdollar
08/08/2001, 1:37 PM
Boots, I'm rather embarrassed about my colour blindness, please refrain from bringing it up ;)

Ash
13/08/2001, 12:38 PM
Aye, the longford admiration of Bohs certainly fits in with Inter Milans love of Athlone Town :D

Saw a young buck in Stephens Green SC on Saturday wearing the new jersey. Must say it looks well decent

He shouted "Up Westmeath" at me .... I couldnt bring myself to shout anything nice about Longford back to him :p