PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for the season...

UCD_4_Life
29/03/2003, 8:23 PM
Where will we finish?: 6th.

If anything we're worse now than we were last season so I think that this is the best we could hope for.

Who will do well?:

I'd expect Finn, Cawley, Sullivan, John and Robbie Martin all to do really well.

Who won't?:

Alan Gallen. Hasn't shown anything that would make me think otherwise. Maybe over 36 games he might prove be a bit better but I won't be holding my breath.

Will we finally get somebody who can score goals on a regular basis?:

With just under two weeks left I wouldn't think so. Still though we can live in hope.

pineapple stu
30/03/2003, 7:35 PM
Where will we finish?

Depends (!) really. We're supposed to be looking at some players in England who would join in May after the English season ends. If they're as good as the three we've just lost, we can beat last season's finish. Otherwise, I still expect Drogheda, who can't buy anyone and have sold four of their best players, and Waterford, who haven't bought in anybody of note, to finish below us.

Who will do well?

Pat Jennings anyway. Cawley. Tony Mac again. Johnny Martin if he stays clear of injury/being killed by opponents. Robbie Martin should get back to somewhere like the form of two seasons ago hopefully.

Who won't?

I hope nobody (duh!), but I'd be cautious about Bambi Gallen alright. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Will we finally get somebody who can score goals on a regular basis?

We have one. His name's Robbie Martin. He beat Wes Houlihan (or however it's spelt) to Young Player of the Year two seasons ago. All he has to do is stay clear of injury and recover his form. Failing that, Cawley could get a few from midfield if he settles. Sean Finn is due some.

UCD_4_Life
30/03/2003, 8:00 PM
Still though, even at his best Robbie Martin only got something like 10(?) from 33 or 34(?) apps.

I was thinking more of someone who could score say 15/16 in a league season. I can't think of anyone who has that in recent years for us.

@ndy
31/03/2003, 12:11 PM
Mick o Byrne

pineapple stu
31/03/2003, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Still though, even at his best Robbie Martin only got something like 10(?) from 33 or 34(?) apps.

He got 11 league and 1 Cup goal, but he was playing up front in a 4-5-1 for most of the season. Maybe having someone to play alongside him and take some of the pressure off would help...

Schumi
31/03/2003, 2:35 PM
Where will we finish?:
8th I think

Who will do well?:
Jennings, Cawley, Robbie Martin, Sullivan and hopefully the rest as well

Who won't?:
I don't see major weaknesses, it's the lack of brilliant stand out players that's our prolem IMO. Gallen has been mentioned but i'd expecr Robbie Martin and Griffin to start so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Will we finally get somebody who can score goals on a regular basis?:
I'm hopeful that Robbie Martin will get himself sorted out.

el insider
31/03/2003, 6:02 PM
waterford and u.c.d going cown!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry lads but youv'e lost your three best players.your only hope is gettingsome new players.youve got a good manager but even he cant perform miracles.
you better hope west ham dont want delaney long term or ur screwed.
robbie griffin is the best signing for yiz hell do the buis in midfield

Aberdonian Stu
31/03/2003, 7:05 PM
Hmm, a Longford fan ie a fan of a team nearly as dull to watch as Pats, has decided in his/her infinite wisdom that we are going down. While we may have lost players we can sleep safe in the knowledge that Longford and the Drogs are still in the Premier so we're safe for at least one more season.

Considering you're batlle hardened supporters team couldn't beat a bunch of drunks in UCD shirts I don't fancy your actual team doing much better.

Schumi
31/03/2003, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by Aberdonian Stu
a bunch of drunks in UCD shirts We weren't drunk, we were hungover. :)

Aberdonian Stu
31/03/2003, 7:15 PM
Is it not true that some of your team consumed alcohol in the dressing rooms before the game and isn't your memory of that day clouded due to the large level of toxins in your system.

Schumi
31/03/2003, 7:16 PM
no comment. :)