PDA

View Full Version : Best music DVDs?

jebus
25/07/2007, 3:47 PM
Was wondering what everyone considered a good music DVD?

My own favourites include The Last Waltz, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, The Beatles Hard Day's Night, Help and Yellow Submarine, Pavement's Slow Century and Buena Vista Social Club. But my all time number one has to be the documentary Searching For the Wrong Eyed Jesus, that has Jim White travelling through Southern America looking for religion and music and also includes music from the Handsome Family among others

Lionel Ritchie
25/07/2007, 5:14 PM
Pink Floyds 'Live at Pompeii'.

Great to see it in any format -better again with the interspersed footage of the band jamming the tunes that would become 'Dark Side of the Moon' and Roger Waters fiddling with an early 70's synth which was the size of a Micra.

This Is Spinal Tap

The DVD re-issue features extra footage and 'promo-videos' for several of the songs. A time-defying classic!

I'll give an honourable mention to The Wonderstuffs 'Welcome to the Cheap Seats' as well ...hardly a ground breaking rockumentary but as it happens ...I'm on the front cover.:cool:

jebus
25/07/2007, 6:20 PM
I'll give an honourable mention to The Wonderstuffs 'Welcome to the Cheap Seats' as well ...hardly a ground breaking rockumentary but as it happens ...I'm on the front cover.:cool:

Hence the dishonourable mention? :p

superfrank
25/07/2007, 7:17 PM
Prince - Purple Rain

Not a live DVD but the music is brilliant and the music is really the main thing about it.

Nas - God's Son Live

Very good live performance but you'd have to be into rap music to appreciate it fully.

onceahoop
25/07/2007, 7:30 PM
"Rory Gallagher at Rockpalast". Includes the gig in Cologne 1976, at the Grughalle, Essen 1977 and a jam session in Wiesbaden in 1979.

superfrank
25/07/2007, 7:32 PM
I'm not a fan, but I bought my ma the Horslips DVD for Christmas a few years ago and it was pretty good.

TonyD
25/07/2007, 10:30 PM
Talking Heads - "Stop Making Sense" is the best concert film ever made - no debate. If you haven't seen it you're missing a treat. I saw it at the pictures when it was released over twenty years ago, it was awesome then and it still is today. I only got it on DVD a couple of years ago. Can't recommend it highly enough.

holidaysong
25/07/2007, 11:28 PM
Pearl Jam 'Touring Band' 2001.

The Good Son
26/07/2007, 6:34 AM
Rude Boy - The Clash, the film itself is pretty bad but well worth it for the live bits.

bellavistaman
26/07/2007, 7:57 AM
Bought Michael Jackson live in budapest few weeks ago for 6 euro, top man back then, cant understasnd for the life of me how he does most of the stuff.

*que the smart comments*

Neish
26/07/2007, 12:09 PM
End of the century-The Ramones
Pixies-The Pixies
Toward the within- Dead Can Dance

bellavistaman
26/07/2007, 12:12 PM
I would also recommend any live status quo concert on dvd, class, brilliant live.

Wolfie
26/07/2007, 12:36 PM
Everybody Stares - The Police Inside Out - is a behind the scenes film documenting The Polices rise to prominence.

It was compiled from Super 8 footage that the drummer, Stewart Copeland filmed over a 5 year period, sometimes literally from behind the drum-kit.

A unique and intimate take on the band at that time, whether you're a fan or not.

Loud Quiet Loud - The Pixies

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses - Blackpool Gig that most fans have seen and compiled TV appearances. The extras DVD has footage of Ian Brown and John Squire indulging in one of their trade mark non-communicative interviews.

Oasis - Was There Then (Maine Road Gig 1996) - Oasis live at Maine Road at the height of their powers - before their Mojo deserted them and they drifted into a cloud of turbo talc.

Bob Marley - Time Will Tell Documentary on the legends life and music.

John Lennon - Imagine

Neish
26/07/2007, 2:44 PM
I would also recommend any live status quo concert on dvd, class, brilliant live.

Recomend it to who, the Garbage man?

bellavistaman
26/07/2007, 3:10 PM
Recomend it to who, the Garbage man?

Very clever, well done.

Wolfie
26/07/2007, 3:13 PM

Les Battersby living in Cobh shocker!!!

Marked Man
26/07/2007, 6:22 PM
Fugazi: Instrument
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Whatever their singles collection is called; I forget. Excellent though.

SkStu
26/07/2007, 9:41 PM
I am trying to break your heart: Wilco

great if youre a fan.

Macy
27/07/2007, 10:31 AM
The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

stann
27/07/2007, 3:26 PM
Also if you can find The Rolling Stones: Rock And Roll Circus that's a good one to have. A snapshot of late sixties British music including The Who, Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, John Lennon and Jagger as the ringmaster.
TonyD is correct though, Stop Making Sense is the best live film bar none.

Iorfa
27/07/2007, 10:10 PM
Have to agree with Pavement - Slow Century, also Belle & Sebastian's Fans Only.

Sunny Jim
30/07/2007, 3:10 PM
Big Country - Final Fling
Marillion - From Stoke Row to Ipanema
Muse - Hullabaloo
Spinal Tap - This Is Spinal Tap

declan hide
01/08/2007, 10:40 PM
The Devil and Daniel Johnston,

this is excellent.
(went to see DJ in vicar street a few weeks ago and it was great)

ramones - end of the century

Marked Man
15/08/2007, 12:41 AM
The Filth and the Fury was on tv here last night. Excellent stuff. Had to give "Never Mind the ********" a spin again today.

superfrank
15/08/2007, 1:29 AM
David Bowie's Serious Moonlight is actually pretty good for some of his re-workings.

endabob1
16/08/2007, 10:39 AM
Funny Music
Spinal Tap - This is Spinal Tap
Bad News (Only available as part of the The Comic Strip Presents - Complete on dvd)

Concert Music
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Prince - Sign 'O' The Times
Any Rory Gallagher live dvd is worth looking at

Other Music
Prince - Purple Rain
Led Zep - The Song Remains The Same

Docboy
16/08/2007, 2:58 PM
James - think it was their "last" gig at the MEN arena in Manchester.