PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Performances in an Irish Jersey

gustavo
29/03/2003, 12:18 PM
Damien Duff vs Spain (June 2002)

Roy Keane vs The Netherlands (September 2001)

Paul McGrath vs Italy (June 1994)

Packie Bonner vs England (June 1988)

Liam Brady vs France (October 1981)

Other (Specify)

patsh
29/03/2003, 1:42 PM
What about Don Givens scoring 4 goals against Turkey in Dalymount?

sorbothegreek
29/03/2003, 7:05 PM
Surely Roy Keanes performance versus Portugal at home for the last world cup was better than that versus Holland.

pineapple stu
29/03/2003, 7:11 PM
McGrath has to get it for those three blocks in 30 seconds if nothing else. Course, there was him sliding the Italian forward (can't remember who it was now, but he was a class act) having given him 5 yards of a start, not to mention bringing an equally class performance out of Phil Babb!

Schumi
29/03/2003, 7:26 PM
Yeah, that McGrath performance was incredible. Beats the others hands down.

Real ale Madrid
29/03/2003, 9:23 PM
The best one for me was Packie Bonner's performance v England in Euro 88. With a dodgy back he was absolute class.

Other's that sping to mind not already mentioned:

Kevin Moran v Denmark 92 (a)

and

Brian o' Driscoll v France 2002:D ;)

Badweather Fan
30/03/2003, 4:59 PM
Paul McGrath gainst Italia.
But
Never saw the two underneath it
+
Givens didn't pick John so there you go.

sadloserkid
31/03/2003, 9:00 AM
I voted for Bonner too. I was only 7 but it's the first time I can remember being truly impressed by somebodies performance.

Shed End John
31/03/2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by gustavo
Paul McGrath vs Italy (June 1994)

No doubt about it. Dodgy knees, Christ knows what else was creaking in there, and he STILL played Baggio and Co off the bloody park. Keane v Holland is the only one that comes remotely close, and 'remotely' is the operative word there.

The Legend
31/03/2003, 11:26 PM
I picked Paul McGrath, but it was hard between that and Packie...

How Packie kept Lineker and Beardsley out that day, i'll never know...
England also missed a lot of sitters...

..that what i remember, being only 12 back then anyway!

James
01/04/2003, 10:41 AM
poll is biased given that most ppl here wud fall into the category of not remembering anything previous to italy 90. hence the landslide for mcgrath imo.

packie was outstanding in 88

true so was mcgrath in 94, but how many of those that voted for mcgrath or any of the later performances actually remember 88?

i mean i dont remember brady in 81, and have seen bits of givens getting 4 in dayler that night.

colster
02/04/2003, 11:32 AM
It has to be Paul McGrath against Italy.
If any one game should what a truly great player he was then that was it.
When you consider that he played that game with dodgy knees and a serious shoulder injury(He couldn't move his arm above shoulder height) it just adds to the quality of the display.
Not only the best display in an Ireland jersey but probably the best player to ever fill one.

aka Dus
23/06/2003, 11:10 PM
Jeez Gustavo you must have just picked that game entirely at random because of the good result.

Brady was ABSOLUTELY MUCK that day mate. Completely overshadowed by Platini (who replaced him at Juve the following season). Lawro, Whelan and Martin played with him in the midfield that day and carried him completely.

Personally I think Keane's performace versus Spain in Seville ('93?) sticks out in my mind. Even though I don't like the c___.

tiktok
24/06/2003, 1:50 AM
some great memories in that bunch, taking everything into account i went for bonner. an absolutely colossal display in a game where evryone remembers ray houghtons goal eight minutes in and forgets we were absolutely hammered off the park for the other eighty two.

_duff was good against spain but shouldn't be up there.
_keane was better against portugal or even iceland away, carried us both games, everyone was up for the dutch game.
_mcgrath came a very close second for me, great display against truly world class opposition.
_don't remember the brady game unfortunately.

@ndy
24/06/2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
there was him sliding the Italian forward (can't remember who it was now, but he was a class act)

I believe it to have been Dino Baggio...

tiktok
24/06/2003, 9:37 PM
roberto baggio wasn't it,
(or should i put a red face here if dino's his nickname)

The Legend
24/06/2003, 10:32 PM
Well there was 'ol Dino in Midfield, and 'ol Roberto roaming closer to the front, as far as my memory serves me...

Schumi
25/06/2003, 2:44 PM
George Hamilton

The Baggio brothers of course are not related

The Sheliban
25/06/2003, 3:23 PM
Bonner was criticised by Charlton after that game. Charlton's tactics were that Bonner should play as a sweeper behind the back four. He was afraid of Lineker's speed. So that when Beardsley or someone slipped the ball through for Lineker to run on to, Bonner would be there to hoof the ball away.

Bonner however chose to do things the hard way. Instead of closing down the space behind the back four, he stayed too far back, and was called upon to make four or five excellent saves instead.

Brady against the Russians, SURELY?????

gspain
27/06/2003, 1:55 PM
Mcgrath v Italy for me - out of this world.

BTW Roy Keane's best performance was v Portugal - he took them on on his own that day - wasn't as obvious v Holland albeit head and shoulders above any of the 22 on the pitch. Still can't forgiuve for what happened afterwards though.

Slurms McKenzie
28/06/2003, 8:11 PM
Originally posted by James

packie was outstanding in 88

true so was mcgrath in 94, but how many of those that voted for mcgrath or any of the later performances actually remember 88?

One again James' insight is fantastic. I agree wholeheartedly with James.

Seamus #1
08/07/2003, 8:41 PM
Not knocking Packie's display in Stuttgart for one moment it was class. But it was Ireland's day as England just couldn't score - of the bar/post/packie's arse/face etc.

Mcgrath in 94 has to be the best when you consider his age and his 'lifestyle', dodgy knees etc.