PDA

View Full Version : Drogs Stadium

iceman
25/07/2007, 11:54 AM
Planning application this week
http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=1155
NO HOUSES , Stadium, 3 storey leisure complex, 3 storey 12 screen cinema, 10 retail warehouse units, drive thru fast food restaurant and a service station
Excellent location.

paudie
25/07/2007, 12:15 PM
Good to see things on their way to being finalised.

What's the liklehood of NIMBY residents objecting?

bad mongo
25/07/2007, 12:42 PM

Likelihood of being deemed 'premature' pending the completion of a Local Area Plan for the whole district. Tender for this only went out last month so a 2+ year timeline likely before it becomes adopted by Meath CoCo. I hope there has been extensive pre-planning consultation that means the developent is a shoo-in in this regard but NIMBYS would likely win an An Bord Pleanala appeal if they saw fit to appeal any part of the development on policy grounds. Personally hope that doesn't happen but Meath has no water services yet for this area and there is more than enough 'big box' retailers in the general area already, Meath CoCo just want some in their jurisdiction for the rates money and ABP would not look on this in a favourable light.

green-blood
25/07/2007, 1:29 PM
10er says thats on the mantle piece of some dundalk fan by tea time

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/articles/1155/Site3.jpg

and Drogs fans still think their "owners" are in it for the football

ndrog
25/07/2007, 2:37 PM
Jesus ! do we have to go over all this rubbish again .Go back and read all the crap thats already been written will ye and dont waste everyone time with your silly comments .:rolleyes:

iceman
25/07/2007, 4:03 PM

Apparently a lot of work has been done "sounding" out possible objectors and all the vibes are very good , its a greenfield site and the new road will be warmly welcomed. I believe that all going well construction will start in October.

Celdrog
25/07/2007, 5:23 PM
and Drogs fans still think their "owners" are in it for the football
Thats why the development is all sports related and they have invested a fortune in the team and the chairman was a founder member of the club and Chris Byrne has been around the club for 11 years.

Although you are probably right. I hope they stay away from the football in the future as well. We keep winning trophies that way.

LukeO
25/07/2007, 5:27 PM
Thats why the development is all sports related and they have invested a fortune in the team and the chairman was a founder member of the club and Chris Byrne has been around the club for 11 years.

Although you are probably right. I hope they stay away from the football in the future as well. We keep winning trophies that way.

New stadium by November yeah? :D:rolleyes:

Dodge
25/07/2007, 6:40 PM
Thats why the development is all sports related
Aye sounds it...

Planning application this week
http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=1155
NO HOUSES , Stadium, 3 storey leisure complex, 3 storey 12 screen cinema, 10 retail warehouse units, drive thru fast food restaurant and a service station

BillyG
25/07/2007, 7:06 PM
Soccer stadium,12 screen cinema only showing sports movies, only sports shops allowed in retail warehouses, sports players and fans only service station, gym and swimming pool and sports bar to make up leisure complex....sounds bit to much like lads utopia :)

but if drog fan says its all sports related who am i to argue :)

StarandCrescent
25/07/2007, 7:31 PM
Apart from people from Dundaalk and Cork, i would have expected everyone else to be happy that the league is moving on and will be getting a new stadium. United Park, full of memories as it is, has to go. I am always glad when i see new stands like Galway, Pats and Cork - it shows our league is moving forward. Also good to hear that Derry may well be getting their hands on the Brandy and can develop it further.

Dodge
25/07/2007, 8:10 PM
Where did anyone say they wouldn't be happy for Drigheda if it comes off?

Dyl10
25/07/2007, 11:11 PM
New stadium by November yeah? :D:rolleyes:

Which November? :D

DvB
26/07/2007, 7:48 AM
Personally i'd be more than happy to see this happen, however from experience i have three words of caution: 'Meath County Council'
for Medium/large scale developments such as this and knowing the infrastructure in the county being as under par as it is i'd be interested to see what conditions would be attached to the granting of a PP.

Koh

Celdrog
26/07/2007, 1:09 PM
Sports related hmmnnn
Not house related anyway. You all told us we needed the 5,000 houses to pay for the stadium. Turns out you were all wrong.

And in by November - absolutely.

Well next November anyway (or 2009, or 10).

I suppose we had to win the league while we were still in United Park.

eelmonster
26/07/2007, 1:43 PM
Delighted to see a move on this, hope it all goes to plan. If things do go awry, there is always the possiblity of aquiring land for a stadium to the north of the town where Drog corporation and Louth Coco intend to implement a major development plan. Also, in the event that all goes well, will a move to Meath require a name change for the club: Bryanstown and Beamore United, perhaps :D

BohsPartisan
26/07/2007, 1:55 PM
Not a lot of local residents to object out there. Unless McCabes garage are worried about their rather large windows?

SolitudeRed
26/07/2007, 2:24 PM
Sounds like a pretty big development that the Drogs have got planned! What will the capacity of the new stadium be anyway?

BohsPartisan
26/07/2007, 2:42 PM
Sounds like a pretty big development that the Drogs have got planned! What will the capacity of the new stadium be anyway?

More importantly who'll be running the cinema? Hopefully Cineworld.

oriel
26/07/2007, 3:06 PM
Apart from people from Dundaalk and Cork, i would have expected everyone else to be happy that the league is moving on and will be getting a new stadium.

I dont have a problem with this, best of luck that it all goes to plan...........

iceman
26/07/2007, 3:22 PM

ciaraa
26/07/2007, 3:35 PM

Great, that should be a choice of about 7500 places to sit every 2nd week

iceman
26/07/2007, 4:13 PM
Its going to be used for concerts and Leinster Rugby as well AFAIK.

ForzaHoop
27/07/2007, 9:56 AM
Leinster Rugby, They are redeveloping Wesley to a new Stadium and for big games they have LANSDOWNE in a few years so i can't see them going up there as there is a very small fan base.

Dodge
27/07/2007, 10:03 AM
Apart from the odd exhibition (maybe), there's no chance Leinster Rugby will be using that stadium

Macy
27/07/2007, 10:23 AM
Not a lot of local residents to object out there
Bar greenfields being bulldozed and turned into a shopping centre, with resultant increase in traffic (and possibly congestion) nothing at all!

Leinster Rugby, They are redeveloping Wesley to a new Stadium and for big games they have LANSDOWNE in a few years so i can't see them going up there as there is a very small fan base.
Plus the deal with the RDS.

Bald Student
27/07/2007, 10:49 AM
Leinster Rugby, They are redeveloping Wesley to a new StadiumYou're showing your age.

Leinster play some friendlies around the province. There was a match in Athlone last season.

Dodge
27/07/2007, 10:55 AM
yeah but it wasn't the new stadium, it was in an existing rugby ground. It can't be used as a reason for Meath CoCo to hurry up the application.

unlikely to be much need for a cncert venue that size in Drogheda either

pete
28/07/2007, 12:12 PM
It seems like this is just a planning application? Given the previous problems seems like a long way to go before this is approved?

:confused:

pineapple stu
28/07/2007, 7:09 PM
Not house related anyway. You all told us we needed the 5,000 houses to pay for the stadium. Turns out you were all wrong.
Let's wait until you build it first before making comments like that, shall we? ;)

Do any Drogs fans know for sure if the FAI are going to ban United Park from next season as has been mooted before? What's likely to happen there? Oriel or Dalyer were mentioned here - that likely?

Also, is the ban on threads on the ground still in force on the Drogs MB?

Celdrog
30/07/2007, 1:09 PM
Let's wait until you build it first before making comments like that, shall we? ;)No

Do any Drogs fans know for sure if the FAI are going to ban United Park from next season as has been mooted before? What's likely to happen there? Oriel or Dalyer were mentioned here - that likely?No. Does anyone know for sure about the FAI. If there are foundations in the ground they may allow us. If the stadium is going to be ready during the season (2008) they might. Otherwise, yes, Oriel or Dalymount

Also, is the ban on threads on the ground still in force on the Drogs MB?No - post away:D

all drogged up
28/08/2007, 3:14 PM
unlikely to be much need for a cncert venue that size in Drogheda either

Most concerts that are put on in Ireland these days sell out in a flash - massive latent demand for entertainment that's why they can charge the extra high prices for concert tickets here compared to other places.

Also there's a wee concert on most years in the Drogheda area called Slane - considering 80 odd thousand make their way to the Drogheda area I reckon we could easily get an odd concert or two to fit the new stadium.

Shame it's in Meath though. Fingers crossed it gets built anyway

pete
28/08/2007, 4:50 PM
I think the Drogs stadium would be competing for concerts with the likes of the New Point Depot & the RDS. Slane is in a different category as any other venues having planning restrictions on the number of concerts that can be held.

gilberto_eire
28/08/2007, 4:59 PM
whats the address to put in an objection?!::)

Tir Oilean
28/08/2007, 5:31 PM
Sounds like it could be great for Drogs. But Im sure there must be some sort of private funding for the retail/cinema bits. Will ye get any revenue from the monies raised by the leasing of these. Would be an extremely valuable source of income. Hopefully it works out and it could be a model for other clubs in the future.

ndrog
28/08/2007, 6:48 PM
whats the address to put in an objection?!::)

mail@meathcoco.ie you **** :)

DmanDmythDledge
27/09/2007, 2:28 PM
Another spanner in the works- http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=8640

DmanDmythDledge
27/09/2007, 2:34 PM
Sorry, didn't know you had to register to view;

Meath County Council has asked for more information from the consortium behind the new €30 million stadium proposed for Drogheda United football club. The development includes a four-kilometre road linking it to the M1 motorway.

One of the developers is Bill Doyle, who earlier this year outlined his plans for the 360-acre site on the southside of Drogheda and within the boundary of Co Meath to local councillors.

In addition to the 10,068-seat stadium it is proposed to build a three-storey leisure centre, a three-storey cinema complex, a mezzanine-style retail park, a petrol station and a fast-food outlet in addition to a waste water treatment plant and the link road from the N1, the former Dublin to Drogheda road, to the motorway.

The application is in the name of Doyle Developments Ltd and Drogheda Utd FC and a decision is due to be made by the council today.

However, a council spokesman yesterday confirmed more information will be sought and considered before a decision is made.

A report on the planning file from the council's engineering staff seeks more information on provision for parking, saying that 1,809 car parking spaces are provided, but it is up to 3,376 short of what is required.

It says the traffic impact assessment and the retail impact assessment accompanying the planning application do not "take into account peak shopping times such as Christmas, where the need for private transport is higher than normal".

The developers have six months to reply to the request.

© 2007 The Irish Times

pineapple stu
27/09/2007, 4:18 PM
Fairly standard. Could delay it a few months.

Funny to think the Drogs on their MB thought they had planning permission secured last month!

ndrog
27/09/2007, 8:19 PM
whats funny about it ? Bet your just dying for this to fail ! go on admit it .

pineapple stu
27/09/2007, 8:21 PM
Not dying to see it fail at all. I'd much rather clubs didn't have the threat of being kicked out of their ground hanging over them. However, I recall general vitriol against anyone who dared question the source who heard from a secret meeting that planning permission was to be granted, and out of hand dismissal of any negative comments.

Cosmo
27/09/2007, 8:27 PM
However, I recall general vitriol against anyone who dared question the source who heard from a secret meeting that planning permission was to be granted.

I dont recall that all! Was it not quite the opposite?? :confused: By the way i dont recall a 'source' story!

Someone posted up what they heard on LMFM radio and what was printed in teh start! turned out to be bull though :(

pineapple stu
27/09/2007, 8:27 PM
The initial post on that thread was about someone who heard that a meeting the previous night had approved PP.

Cosmo
27/09/2007, 8:50 PM
The initial post on that thread was about someone who heard that a meeting the previous night had approved PP.

So you're talking about ONE person - when the others heard it on the radio or read it in the star :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
27/09/2007, 8:57 PM
It started the whole thread. Don't recall anyone saying they read it in the Star. Think one or two people said they heard it on the radio, but the thread was in full celebratory fling at that stage.

Cosmo
27/09/2007, 9:11 PM
It started the whole thread. Don't recall anyone saying they read it in the Star.

Sorry you got barred at that stage :D

But yeah it was printed in the star that morning too that it was a done deal! :mad:

pineapple stu
28/09/2007, 12:43 PM
Indeed. ;)

The thread was well underway by the time The Star got wind of it though, which again backs up my point.

Cosmo
29/09/2007, 9:55 AM
Indeed. ;)

The thread was well underway by the time The Star got wind of it though, which again backs up my point.

It wasn't - it was the same morning