PDA

View Full Version : Mulligan scores with his head........again

joe
26/07/2001, 8:09 PM
City came from 2-0 down against Ramblers tonight to win 5-2 with James Mulligan grabbing a second half hat-trick after a Steve O'Flynn brace had leveled matters.

City: Noel Mooney, Colin O'Brien, Decky Daly, Derek Coughlan, Damien O'Rourke, Stephen Napier, Conor O'Grady, Kelvin Flanagan, Ollie Cahill, Steve O'Flynn, James Mulligan. Subs: Michael Devine, Alan Carey, Alan Bennett, Mark Herrick, Pat Morley, A N Other (Andy something ?)

Gerry Desmond
27/07/2001, 8:05 AM
Thanks for the report, Joe! Any of those subs play? Anyone else show up besides you...?
Gerry

Gerry Desmond
27/07/2001, 8:09 AM
....Two goals! Impressions, Joe? Anyone?
Gerry

joe
27/07/2001, 9:00 AM
Those were the subs that played, the rest of the squad took part in a training session while the match was on.

Flynn may yet be the answer to our prayers. He has a good shot and is big enough to put himself about a bit. Having said that he doesn't look like the kind of player whole will run for 90 minutes and harass defenders, but this is only pre-season. He could well net a few goals for us this season and seems to be forming a good partnership with Mulligan. Roll on Millstreet :confused:

Elmer Fudd
27/07/2001, 9:03 AM
How did the Ramblers perform last night???:confused:

joe
27/07/2001, 9:06 AM
Donegan played alright in goals for most of the match before Slattery came on for him - they had another sub keeper as well. Golden was subbed early in the match, maybe an injury. Wolfe, Bruton, Whitmarsh, and the number 6 (Pat Oldham?) all looked good, though the team as a whole seemed to fade as the match wore on. Are they only starting pre-season training?

Gerry Desmond
27/07/2001, 9:25 AM
...for all that, Joe! We'll take it easy on you for a little bit now as a display of gratitude...:)
Gerry

joe
27/07/2001, 9:35 AM
In that case, I'll keep my comments about last night's programme to myself

:D

Gerry Desmond
27/07/2001, 9:40 AM
Actually, there are a couple of hundred left over due to the unexpextedly small crowd despite the 5 hours notice of the game....so if anyobody wants one :D
Gerry

Ali-G
27/07/2001, 9:48 AM
City seemed to play with a wing-back system first half. Colin and Napier as the wing backs, with Derek, Deccie and O Rourke as full backs. I dont think it worked very well. Colin especially didnt seem to know where to position himself, and lets face it, Napier isnt exactly zola. He and Ollie seemed to be on top of each other the whole time.

O Grady was again impressive in midfield, I think he could be the key man this season. Stephen Flynn from Mallow played well up front, took his 2 goals well. He seemed far too eager early on, flying into tackles, but settled down later on. The second half was a bit of a joke, with City making about 334 substitutions. Cobh tired late on, and City could have had a few more. There were some cracking goals, Cobh's opener was a lovely volley from outside the area.

Even though he scored 3, Mulli missed a rake of sitters. Ollie was able to get to the bi-line very easily, and put in tonnes of great balls into the area.

Alan Bennett came on in centre-midfield during the second half, and looked handy enough. Dont see him playing there ahead of Kelvin, O Grady or Herro though.
I dont think we can read too much into the result, it really wasnt very competitive. But you cant argue with 5 goals.

When's the next friendly arranged for, or is anything arranged

Innit,
Ali-G

Gerry Desmond
27/07/2001, 9:57 AM
Detailed report from Ali-G fails to win free programme! :(

Just joking, thanks for the insights & info. Couldn't make it myself last night (to the game that is!) and as de paypur today only ran a limited 2-page spread on the match, it's good to get some feedback and colour on what happened. Thanks, guys!
Gerry

pete
27/07/2001, 10:19 AM
Gunther seems to be trying thisn out a lot lately? Anyone think hes going to abandon the traditional 4-4-2 for the coming season?

We probably have the players to play 5-3-2 than 4-4-2 but will it be a master tactical stroke or a massive blunder?

joe
27/07/2001, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Ali-G
When's the next friendly arranged for, or is anything arranged

Again according to some a posting on Citynet we're playing Millstreet Celtic at Town Park, Millstreet, on Saturday, 4th of August at 3 o'clock.
http://www.eirways.com/phptest/viewtopic.php?TopicID=347

Regards anything else, there's a previous thread here (http://phootball.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=595) which gives as much as any of us know at this time, though the Darlington match has apparently been cancelled.

Pablo
27/07/2001, 12:19 PM
considering i found out da match was on when i turned on the teletext at around half time, i didnt make it either. were there many at it? did they actually charge to get in?

Neil
27/07/2001, 12:22 PM
There were about 250 there including players and officials from each club!

No charge to get in, surprisingly...

Ali-G
27/07/2001, 12:23 PM
There was about 200 at it, no charge to get in.

Pablo
27/07/2001, 12:27 PM
a typically well advertised match. City sure do look after their supporters