PDA

View Full Version : Paper

Ash
28/03/2003, 8:10 AM
Anything in this weeks Westmeath Indo?

Online version never has any Athlone Town news.

Have Mannering and Murphy signed? Do we have a keeper?

I need answers!!!!

SLK from Limerick reckons Mannering was a disruptive influence
and wasnt liked at the club as he slagged off the players on the
web ... thats my job!!!!

atfconline
28/03/2003, 1:28 PM
I don't think there was anything about players in the Westmeath this week, just all about the stadium and stuff.

We at least have Brennan for the start of the season anyways. Everyone should remember Murphy as the little keeper that saved the peno from Curran at the start of last season.

Heres some more from SLK about Mannering

Re: Anton Mannering
position: We played him either up front or an attacking central midfielder
any good: eh... not really to be honest, was never sure of starting with us. Worked hard towards the end of last season and always plays brilliantly against Sligo Rovers but other than that we didn't see an awful lot in him. I would have probebly kept him as a squad player except...
stuff like that: Bad influence on the team. Was bad-mouthing some team-mates on the net after a pre-season game last season and apparently didn't get on well with the other players at all. On paper he looks impressive with spells with Spurs, Fulham, Oxford, Luton, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo & Limerick under his belt. That's a lot of clubs for a youngish guy to have though...

Anything else you wanna know just ask!

atfconline
30/03/2003, 7:14 PM
Sorry, there was actually a piece about players in it. It's where 11-a-side took their piece from. Here it is in full:

Athlone Town boss Jimmy Greene is continuing his search for a new goalkeeper this week after the transfer of Paul Flood broke down at the last minute. Flood, formerly of Dublin City and Monaghan, had agreed terms with Greene but turned his back on the move after being called into Kildare's GAA squad.

Greene confirmed this week that he has spoken to David Moran again but he's currently training with Drogheda United and looks destined to sign for them. So the Athlone manager has turned his attention to former Kildare County keeper Tadgh Murphy and a deal is imminent with him. Greene also hopes to complete another couple of signings by the end of the week. Along with Michael McCann - a striker who was with Kildare County last season and Anton Mannering (who can play in midfield or up front), Greene is desperate to recruit another centre forward. Mannering, who starred for Limerick last season, is a promising player who scored twice against Athlone at St. Mel's Park last season. He trained with the Town on Monday night and is almost certain to put pen to paper by the end of the week.

"I should have my final squad for the season together by the weekend. Tadgh Murphy and Anton Mannering are willing to sign, and I like the look of Michael McCann. The hardest part is getting the right players together but we should know what we will have for the league campaign within the next few days," said Jimmy.

The Town have already added two new players to their squad in Shane Jackson and Stephen Gavin, while Alan Oliver, Warren Parkes, Alan Clarke, and Moran have all left the club. Athlone's pre-season plans continue on Saturday when they face Drogheda United at Dalton Park, Mullingar, at 2 p.m. They then hope to face Shamrock Rovers next week but no time or date has yet been fixed.

That friendly against Drogheda didn't go ahead because Drogheda were playing Kilmarnock on the same day. I did hear though that we played Longford last weekend, and that it ended 0-0. I think you heard that Moran is staying with us Ash? Another bit from a Limerick fan concerning Mannering. I just wonder why he slagged off other players on the web. Whether its a case of him thinking hes better than all the other players just because hes been at a few English clubs, or because he has been at those clubs, he knows how training and attitudes should be. And finally, just looking at the stadium plan I posted, or if anyone saw it in the Topic, does anyone notice any glaring ommission from it? And actually sticking with the Topic piece for a second, according to that, Athlone now has a population of over 15 million :)

atfconline:

Just following on from SLK's post - We met the team in Supermacs in Gort on the way back from the Galway Utd game and told them your news. With huge grins on their faces they told us that they were "devastated." Think that says enough about him ...

The other two pieces from the Westmeath are here:

Club captain Stephen Kelly was chosen as Athlone Town Football Club's Player of the Year at their annual awards function at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel on Friday night. Fellow midfielder Michael Collins picked up the Supporters Club's Player of the Year trophy, while Michael Harney, who made an impression for the first team last season, was given the Under 21 award. Harney captained that side last season. Gary McHugh, the son of well known soccer personality Gerry MeHugh, showed that he has promise for the future by receiving the Youth Player of the Year. A very popular choice for the Colm Fogarty Memorial Trophy was Jack Kenny, who has supported and being involved with the club for many years. Jack said that it was a great honour for him to receive the award, particularly as he knew the late Mr. Fogarty and had enormous respect for him.

The club also presented awards to the finalists from their half time penalty shoot out competition which took place throughout the season. Ballinasloe's Niall Carthy won the competition. International recognition could not be overlooked either. David Moran, who has now left the club, was given an award to mark his selection in the Ireland Under 20 squad at the end of last season. Alan Sheehan, who is from Coosan and plays his club football in Dublin with Belvedere (he was formerly of St. Francis), was presented with an award for his performance's with the Irish Under 17 team. Robert Shine, Alan Kelly, Damien Rushe and John Molloy's selection to the Ireland Colleges squad that left for America yesterday (Tuesday) was marked, as was the achievement of John Connellan and Colin Nicholson in being picked to play for their country. Bealnamulla's Aisling Egan also picked up a gong for her selection to the Irish set up.

General Manager of the club Tony Connaughton said that it was fantastic to see so many young players receiving awards and stated that it justifies the club's decision to groom young, local players for the first team. First team manager Jimmy Greene said that his first season in charge of team affairs was very difficult but he spoke passionately about his ambition to stick at the job and focus on making Athlone Town successful again. "It's a hard road to go downbut we must all stick together and come through. There were tough times last season. But I hope we all learned from the experience. This club can go places in the future. And with our locally based system, and new stadium, I hope it's not long before we enjoy some success," said Greene.

The newly-elected Chairman of the eircom National League Brendan Dillon has said that Athlone Town's proposed new stadium will be a "fantastic development for Athlone and for the eircom League". Dillon was speaking at the AGM of the eircom National League, which was held at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel, Athlone last Friday. As expected, Dillon, who was acting Chairman, was elected unopposed to the position of Chairman.

Athlone Town Chairman Paddy McCaul was elected to the eircom League Board of Control. He is one of three new faces on the Board of Control. Mayor of Athlone, Cllr Kieran Molloy said that, with Athlone Town's new stadium on the way, this is an exciting period for soccer in the town. "I think it's very appropriate that the eircom League is having its AGM here in Athlone, the heart of Ireland and home of one of the oldest football clubs in the country. 'It is also appropriate that you are in the Shamrock Lodge Hotel, which is owned by Paddy McCaul, Chairman of Athlone Town FC and a member of the FAI Board of Management. "These are exciting times for soccer in Athlone, particularly with the new stadium beside the Regional Sports Centre on the way. "It is a very suitable place for the stadium. There are other sports located in that area as well.

It is very important that Athlone Town's new stadium gets up and running and I will do anything I can to support it," said Mayor Molloy. He also stressed the importance of Athlone Town Council's continued sponsorship of the local District Schoolboy League. "There are a large number of clubs and a huge number of schoolboy players involved in the local District Schoolboy League. "A lot of them go to play not only for Athlone Town but for many other soccer clubs as well. "Athlone Town Council gladly sponsors the Schoolboy League every year. It is important that the Town Council, as well as deliberating over potholes and footpaths, supports local sport," said Mayor Molloy.

Dillon said one of the most important challenges facing the League was the UEFA licensing system, which "has set high but badly standards for the eircom League". The AGM was also told that Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr will front a €30,000 advertising campaign for the eircom League, which is to begin on April 7th.

Ash
30/03/2003, 8:56 PM
Aye, David Moran signed for Athlone this weekend.
McHue wanted him to move to Drogheda to be sub
keeper!