PDA

View Full Version : Power of One ...what change will you make?

Lionel Ritchie
22/07/2007, 6:42 PM
I've withdrawn driver courtesy from 4x4s (descetionary exceptions for those that 1. have a towbar and are 2. covered in sh1t will be magnanimously applied).

What about you?

superfrank
22/07/2007, 8:09 PM
I turn all things off altogether at night not just onto standby, except the alarm clock.

sligoman
22/07/2007, 8:11 PM
I turn all things off altogether at night not just onto standbySame with me, well, most things anyway:o.

KoemansCC
22/07/2007, 8:40 PM
Bought four CFL bulbs for the house....

Anto McC
22/07/2007, 8:57 PM
Not a f*cking thing and if i can be brutally honest, at this moment in time i don't care enough to bother.

Bald Student
22/07/2007, 10:27 PM
Longford Town leave the floodlights off until the second half has started.

superfrank
22/07/2007, 10:43 PM
Now now. :D

Lionel Ritchie
23/07/2007, 7:26 AM

... that could be tactical. The visitors can't run up the scoreline if they can't see the goal for half the match.;)

jebus
23/07/2007, 9:55 AM
Unplug all electrical appliances at night, and I've brought in CFL light bulbs for my bedroom and the living room. I also recycle a lot more these days

Aldini98
23/07/2007, 10:40 AM
I've stopped sctratching my arse so much recently, this saving energy.

dahamsta
23/07/2007, 10:54 AM
I recycle everything I can, buying a composter as soon as I have my own house. Appliances switched off at the mains when not in use. Computer set to turn itself off when not in use. CFLs where possible, although the Special R that kitted out this house used halogen spots everywhere. Plan on buying one of these (http://www.killeaghgardens.com/) in a year or two if I can afford it. Eventually hope to build a bespoke passive house with geo and/or solar thermal collectors.

The people who don't care frankly disgust and/or disappoint me, depending on their level of intelligence.

I'm a naughty boy when it comes to cars though. There'll be hell of a lot of offsetting later (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Road_Runner).

adam

Peadar
23/07/2007, 11:42 AM
I was always one for turning things off & not turning on lights, until it was dark. Also make sure to turn them off, when I don't need them.
Recently, I've modified my cooking habits, so that I either cook everything in the oven, or on the hob. It saves a bit, when you don't have the oven and a few rings on the hob going at the same time.

Have always recycled, but really make an effort now, to buy products with less packaging. It's not very convenient to recycle everything in Dublin.

noby
23/07/2007, 12:04 PM
I try to do something similar when cooking. If I am putting on the oven I usually make some brown bread or soda bread too.

Jerry The Saint
23/07/2007, 3:52 PM
I watched a few clips from Live Earth. Glad to finally be part of the solution.

anto1208
24/07/2007, 9:50 AM
I cook everything in the George Forman instead of using an oven or hob .
Ive CFL bulbs in the landings, my room and sitting room the other lights are hardly ever turned on but ill upgrade them as the bulbs go .Recycle and compost practically everything i cant remember the last time i put out a wheely bin that was even half full normally ill fill half a black bag every 2 weeks .

And i got my old bike out of the shed and reCYCLED it :o

I also only use the private jet for important trips and turned the temp in my swimming pool from 28 down to 27. had to turn it back up as it was too cold but the Intention was there

dahamsta
24/07/2007, 9:53 AM
And i got my old bike out of the shed and reCYCLED it :oAwful. Can we have a Bad Joke of the Month compo running alongside POTM?

anto1208
24/07/2007, 10:24 AM
Awful. Can we have a Bad Joke of the Month compo running alongside POTM?

:confused: Do you not run this place :D

Come on thats brilliant i was up untill half two last night thinking of that one im shattered now

noby
24/07/2007, 10:30 AM
Well I certainly want compo after the distress from reading that "joke".

Wolfie
24/07/2007, 11:59 AM
Well I certainly want compo after the distress from reading that "joke".

Wasn't he the old geezer with the wooly hat in Last of the Summer Wine.

John83
24/07/2007, 12:15 PM
There's a difference?

aido_b
24/07/2007, 12:35 PM
Have always recycled and everythings always plugged out when its not being used at home. Got business cards and office stationery all prineted up on recycled paper too .... Been to the Greenbox too .... www.greenbox.ie ... well worth a visit!

drinkfeckarse
24/07/2007, 2:50 PM
Recycle paper and bottles etc. Always make sure the kettle is only filled to the amount required. Suggested doing the washing at 30 degrees instead of 40 to the wife but she assured me that it wouldn't clean very much. I'll take her word for it.

Macy
24/07/2007, 2:58 PM
I've used CFL bulbs where possible for years. Will be upgrading the other ones that they conventional ones wouldn't fit now the stubby one's more readily available. I'm hoping to try out the CFL and/or LED GU10 fittings rather than the halogen ones once I use up the spares we have already (no point until then).

We recycle and compost everything possible, and have for a long while. It's a no brainer anyway given that our green bin is free now.

I have more accurate digital thermostats for the house waiting to be fitted, which should improve the efficiency. Unfortunately haven't had a run of days that we definitely won't need the heating to fit them yet (probably only an hour or two's job, but my DIY tasks never seem to go to plan!)

Jerry The Saint
24/07/2007, 5:34 PM

There's a difference?

POTM.

Lionel Ritchie
25/07/2007, 1:17 PM
Recycle paper and bottles etc. Always make sure the kettle is only filled to the amount required. Suggested doing the washing at 30 degrees instead of 40 to the wife but she assured me that it wouldn't clean very much. I'll take her word for it.

There is an issue of pennywise versus pound foolish there too. Likewise with our dishwasher (an indulgence I know). If we run it at 40 degrees and the stuff isn't clean we have to run it AGAIN at a higher temp. If you reckon you need to do something at a higher temp -well then better just do it once.