PDA

View Full Version : Best Irish Player

joe
27/03/2003, 6:16 PM
Best Irish player in the last 50 years?

pete
28/03/2003, 12:50 PM
Best irish player or best player playing for Ireland...?

sadloserkid
28/03/2003, 1:07 PM
McGrath.

I'm not the twit who voted for other and then smartly didnt bother to specify though!

Greenbod
28/03/2003, 1:15 PM
I'm the twit. John Giles is the other. Is there anybody else old enough to agree? (about Giles that is, not that I'm a twit!)

sadloserkid
28/03/2003, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by Greenbod
I'm the twit. John Giles is the other. Is there anybody else old enough to agree? (about Giles that is, not that I'm a twit!)

Sorry. Twit was a mite harsh there, sorry... agree that Giles shoulda made the shortlist though I'm not really old enough to agree.

Greenbod
28/03/2003, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Sorry. Twit was a mite harsh there, sorry... agree that Giles shoulda made the shortlist though I'm not really old enough to agree.

No problem. I'm new to this. Is there a way of adding a name to the list?

joe
28/03/2003, 1:25 PM
Originally posted by Greenbod
No problem. I'm new to this. Is there a way of adding a name to the list?

done and your vote followed him

any other suggestions?

sadloserkid
28/03/2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by joe
any other suggestions?

The voice of reason is back James! ;) No, I've already voted anyway but Steve Heighway probably deserves a shot. Maybe Stapleton or Aldridge even? It's hard to say. Ray Houghton may even grab a few votes by virtue of those two goals.

patsh
28/03/2003, 1:57 PM
Surely David O'Leary deserves a mention, no matter what that ignorant scumbag Charlton thought?
Kevin Moran
Lawrenson
Hughton
Bonner
Irwin............
There is an extremely decent team to be assembled from the last 50 years.
Brady was the one who proved himself in the Italian league as well as across the water, so he would get my vote.

Badweather Fan
28/03/2003, 2:05 PM
Doesn't need to be justified really does it?

Schumi
28/03/2003, 2:44 PM
Yeah Paul McGrath for me. Too young to remember Giles or Brady properly.

Corkman
28/03/2003, 3:57 PM
Giles was the best from what I've seen and heard. I understand what people say about McGrath but I think he stands out more because he played in such a good and successful side.

Peadar
28/03/2003, 6:37 PM
Paul McGrath is an absolute gent and a great inspiration to kids when he was playing.
The FAI basically have to agree on the greatest player and that player will then take his place in the hall of fame.
Isn't it funny how the UEFA 50 year celebrations will coincide with our 20 year celebrations?
Maybe we can hijack their party :D

Pat MacGroyne
02/04/2003, 6:03 PM
I was the one who voted other as George Best is the greatest Irish player ever!!

North or South was never specified so If its for the south then Keaneo by a mile

Badweather Fan
02/04/2003, 9:09 PM
There's a man u fan for ya.
McGrath was 1 1/2 times the player Roy was and gave even more memorable performances.

brine2
02/04/2003, 9:27 PM
Erm, Paul McGrath played for Man Utd as well...

Schumi
03/04/2003, 11:54 AM
The UEFA thing is for the best lpayer from each national association so George Best would be up for the North's one (and presumably will win).

Pat MacGroyne
05/04/2003, 6:38 PM
Im not a Man Ure fan I hate the buggers. I follow Cork City and when I go to England I go to Chelsea games.

Didnt McGrath play for Utd as well. I never mentioned him or Irwin etc because I feel Best and Keane are better full stop and thats coming from a Chelsea fan

Shed End John
10/04/2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by joe
Best Irish player in the last 50 years?

The Black Pearl of Inchicore. No doubt whatsoever. As if justification were needed........Italy, Giants Stadium NY, 1994. Best display I've EVER seen by ANY player, and a nice result too.

colster
15/04/2003, 3:25 PM
I voted for McGrath but having thought about it I asked myself the following question?

If Ireland played in a world cup final tommorrow and could choose any player from the past or present which player would most likely win you the game?

The answer to that question is obvious.

Roy Keane.

patsh
15/04/2003, 6:34 PM
Originally posted by colster
I voted for McGrath but having thought about it I asked myself the following question?

If Ireland played in a world cup final tommorrow and could choose any player from the past or present which player would most likely win you the game?

Roy Keane.
I would almost completely agree with you, but would that not depend a lot on the other 10 playing?
I reckon Brady was the most creative player ever produced, well I can't comment on the 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s and so on, and won a huge amount of games for the teams he played in.

smeeee
16/04/2003, 11:21 AM
at the end of the day folks its just gotta be king roy, as good as mcgrath and co were class but there is only one roy:rolleyes:

steven17
16/04/2003, 12:24 PM
North or South was never specified so If its for the south then Keaneo by a mile [/B][/QUOTE]

cant remember keano ever playing for ireland ....... i whiped that mans international caps off the board doesn`t deserve um absoulut SCUM

colster
16/04/2003, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
I would almost completely agree with you, but would that not depend a lot on the other 10 playing?
I reckon Brady was the most creative player ever produced, well I can't comment on the 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s and so on, and won a huge amount of games for the teams he played in.

Of course you're right the other 10 would be important but out of the 11 that played I think Keane would probably dominate both the team and the match and contribute more to the result.
Out of all the Irish players (and probably in the world) I dont think that anyone has dominated and shaped games as much as Keano has both in defence and attack.
A lot of the other players mentioned are excellent in one or other of the areas.
Keane is the ultimate box to box player that Ireland has ever had.

patsh
16/04/2003, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by steven17
cant remember keano ever playing for ireland ....... i whiped that mans international caps off the board doesn`t deserve um absoulut SCUM
Go away and play with the traffic, you little tosser.:rolleyes:

patsh
16/04/2003, 5:32 PM
Of course you're right the other 10 would be important but out of the 11 that played I think Keane would probably dominate both the team and the match and contribute more to the result.
Out of all the Irish players (and probably in the world) I dont think that anyone has dominated and shaped games as much as Keano has both in defence and attack.
A lot of the other players mentioned are excellent in one or other of the areas.
Keane is the ultimate box to box player that Ireland has ever had.
When you put it like that, you have me convinced:)

Niamh_GalwayGal
22/04/2003, 10:03 PM

Roy Keane.

nah they would've had to actually WALK (no shuttle buses or ickle golf carts) the whole 5 yards from the dressing room to the pitch so Keano wouldn't play. Gimmie back my ball im goin home to my mammy

brine2
23/04/2003, 5:41 PM
Incredible that some people have the memory of a peanut. Thanks for the good times Roy!

patsh
24/04/2003, 11:13 AM
Brine2: Don't worry about it.
"Memory" is an amazing concept in Ireland.
Even on this board you still get petty little gobsh*tes who are fighting the civil war. These idiots have the most selective memory in the world.
Don't bother about the peanuts, they are just an empty shell with the same old bullsh*t echoing from within.

sadloserkid
24/04/2003, 11:21 AM
Can we just drop this already? Keane is God/Satan yadda yadda yadda. Personally I haven't p1ssing time for the man but I think we've all made our minds up by now and there's nothing at all to be gained by opening up that can of worms/peanuts again. I won't change your mind, you won't change my mind, it'll just go round in circles ad infinitum... :rolleyes:

patsh
24/04/2003, 1:21 PM
You silly little boy.
Is this another manifestation of your/FF paranoia?
Take a general comment and turn it into a personal slight?
Look back at various postings on this board by various posters asking stupid questions like "where were you in 1916" and ****e like that.
Of course its much easier to try to ascribe your own petty characteristics to someone else.
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde,
I like talking to a brick wall, I find it is the only thing that can never contradict me.

patsh
24/04/2003, 3:29 PM
Gee those sticks and stones hurt me so..
I guess you feel better now that you have some other opinion to validate your own.
How do you ever survive a football match with so many dirty words and bad language been bandied about?

BTW, you should do something about your self-esteem. Recognising yourself as a repetitive, bullsh*t spouting, empty peanut shell is the kick you probably need to get yourself sorted out.

A face
24/04/2003, 4:25 PM
Handbags ..... at fifty paces :p

patsh
24/04/2003, 7:21 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Omigod, this is geting serious.

He keeps calling me a peanut.

Even the others didn't get the peanut treatment.

Oddboy, I have no problem with the swearing. I swear every second word, especially at games. But again, when you litter a pretty trivial discussion with vulgarities, you're sending out signals that you're rattled by it all - come on, tell me you've read Manwatching, you surely know that signals stuff.

There's so much to be said for the old counting to ten before posting...
Yawn

sadloserkid
25/04/2003, 9:32 AM
it must be trying for those who wish to discuss who was the best Irish player...

Yeah! Now I'll never get to put forward Mickey Evans! :(

patsh
25/04/2003, 10:33 AM
Joe, Adam, can anyone cut all this stuff out and dump it in off-topic - it can be attached to the "Ding Ding" thread because it must be trying for those who wish to discuss who was the best Irish player...
Ahem..... (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&postid=51634#post51634)

patsh
25/04/2003, 11:15 AM
I think to most neutral observers, the bizarre reference would be connecting the Boy Roy to "petty gobsh*tes fighting the civil war".
Yet again, you are selective regarding my post.
READ it.
The point I was making was about memory.
I repeat that even now some people are fighting the civil war which took place 80 years ago. The RK situation was almost as divisive, and will not be forgotten by some people for a long time.

I think everyone's getting real tired of this ...............
This from a man who thought it needed a whole thread of its own?????
I am to blame, I admit, for continuing to post in reply to you. But if your paranoia is such that you see references to yourself in posts by me, that blame lies with you.

Have we had enough of this now?

Niamh_GalwayGal
25/04/2003, 9:48 PM
Boys, boys, boys. Now if you acted sensibly like us girls, you'd be b*tching to your friends about each other right now

fonzi
28/04/2003, 1:59 PM
john o' flynn