PDA

View Full Version : Match Officials: Abuse

blue til i die
20/07/2007, 9:27 PM
and no i dont mean fans at Officials, i mean Officials at fans!!
Blues game against cork, Graham Kelly(brother of gob****e Alan), the linesman on the far side, was giving the 'V' a few times toward our supporters!!
Personally i think its discraceful.
Any ever witness it??

RĂ©iteoir
20/07/2007, 9:58 PM
You know the drill with stuff like this - produce the etchings of said incident or fall on your ceremonial sword :D

blue til i die
20/07/2007, 10:04 PM
You know the drill with stuff like this - produce the etchings of said incident or fall on your ceremonial sword :D

i wasnt at the far side so i didnt see the incident. think our fans complained about a decision. apparently he squared up to one of our fans too.
he was the 4th official at tonights Sligo game, had a big dirty smirk on his face walking off.
http://www.btid.dreamhosters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=485
jus interested if anyone else has ever witnessed it?

LeixlipRed
20/07/2007, 10:07 PM
I'd find it hard to believe. A 4th official at an EL game would have years of experience of being abused and I'd be very suprised if they did something stupid like that

blue til i die
20/07/2007, 10:08 PM
I'd find it hard to believe. A 4th official at an EL game would have years of experience of being abused and I'd be very suprised if they did something stupid like that

he was the 4th official, but he was the linesman on tuesday night.

half_full
20/07/2007, 10:55 PM
i wasnt at the far side so i didnt see the incident. think our fans complained about a decision. apparently he squared up to one of our fans too.he was the 4th official at tonights Sligo game, had a big dirty smirk on his face walking off.
http://www.btid.dreamhosters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=485
jus interested if anyone else has ever witnessed it?

he certainley did, flashed a few V signs and 'bring it on gestures' as well at the travelling support:mad:

it was an AWFUL call he made as well, Vinny Sullivan was clear threw on goal and was brought down by the last man. To be fair to the ref, Corks two centre-halfs were almost level to each other so he only booked the player who fouled Sullivan...Kelly however was paralell to the incident so all he had to do was call the ref over to inform him.

Methinks Graham enjoys the attention like his brother:rolleyes:

GavinZac
20/07/2007, 11:15 PM
it was an AWFUL call he made as well, Vinny Sullivan was clear threw on goal and was brought down by the last man.
it certainly was, vinny should've been booked for throwing himself to the floor. no wonder he never cut it at the top level with an attitude like that.

Dodge
20/07/2007, 11:51 PM
MAke a complaint to the FAI, the Refs association and make sure all the press know. See what happens

feo123
21/07/2007, 1:14 AM
He's a human being aswell at the end of the day. im sure he wouldnt have done it if he wasnt getting dogs abuse from the crowd

don ramo
21/07/2007, 5:43 AM
hes a kelly no point reporting it daddy will take care of it quickly, a three game ban, served in 4 days, punishment finished, i think that was the kelly who tried to attack a fan at our game last year not sure, hes a dick anyways, cant stand any kelly or butterworth or eddie foley when the three of them show up together theres gonna be trouble,

green-blood
21/07/2007, 7:41 AM
MAke a complaint to the FAI, the Refs association and make sure all the press know. See what happens

teh ref's association.... yeah go make a complain to his Da, see how far that gets ya.

Dodge
21/07/2007, 10:03 AM
teh ref's association.... yeah go make a complain to his Da, see how far that gets ya.

It was more doing it to all of them so the FAI can't say Why didn't you complain to the Ref's lot...

sligoman
21/07/2007, 6:21 PM
im sure he wouldnt have done it if he wasnt getting dogs abuse from the crowdThat's no excuse!

Lim till i die
21/07/2007, 8:25 PM
I love the way we as football fans can scream all manner of parentage questioning bile at officials for 90 minutes week in week out but when someone does something to us (V Sign?! You poor lambs :rolleyes:) we become a load of old Marys :)

micls
21/07/2007, 8:32 PM
I love the way we as football fans can scream all manner of parentage questioning bile at officials for 90 minutes week in week out but when someone does something to us (V Sign?! You poor lambs :rolleyes:) we become a load of old Marys :)
BUt the differnce is we're paying for the privilege to abuse them whereas their getting paid to stand their and take it..........the whole professionalism thing

Lim till i die
21/07/2007, 8:46 PM
BUt the differnce is we're paying for the privilege to abuse them whereas their getting paid to stand their and take it..........the whole professionalism thing

Sarcasm, I assume :p

Raheny Red
22/07/2007, 12:09 AM
and no i dont mean fans at Officials, i mean Officials at fans!!
Blues game against cork, Graham Kelly(brother of gob****e Alan), the linesman on the far side, was giving the 'V' a few times toward our supporters!!
Personally i think its discraceful.
Any ever witness it??

Can't beat Paedo the line and his gesturing - hope to have this on youtube over the coming days :D

Emmet
22/07/2007, 8:55 AM

Completely agree. It's the same when a player makes a 'gesture' at supporters ... most of them have been screaming obsenities at him throughout the entire match yet when that player then raises his middle finger there's a race to find the nearest policeman to complain about what their seven-year old son had to witness and how disgraceful it was!!

I don't buy the professional argument either ... how many of us would put up with several thousand people hurling insults and threats at us every time we made a mistake in our jobs? And what about on a park on a Sunday morning - how many match officials are there to earn a living? They still get regularly abused and are sometimes physically attacked!! If you're going to go to the newspapers why not about that instead?

Copa Mundial
22/07/2007, 9:44 AM
First of all, this discussion is based purely on speculation. If there is evidence of what the guy has been accused of, then produce it to the relevant authorities and i am certain it will be dealt with.

If the 'V' sign gesturing has occurred then it is unacceptable behaviour from an official. There is a level of professionalism that always has to be maintained by officials and lowering standards to the level of those who think that just because they have paid 15euro in the gate means that that entitles them to hurl the worst type of vile insults at officials is unacceptable.

The argument that they are being paid so that means that they have to listen to the abuse that is thrown at them does not wash either. These people are human beings and on occasions have family members at games. I have been a supporter of football for as long as i can remember and realise that officials are always going to be vilified for their troubles but some of the verbal abuse dished out towards these guys and girls borders on horrific. Sometimes you wonder how they restrain themselves. I have had it myself at a lower level and sometimes i wonder is it all worth it. But as i said above, officials must retain a level of professionalism.

With regard to smiling at supporters, i think it is good that officials can show a human side to them as long as its good natured and not done in an antagonistic way. It shows that they have a sense of humour.

osarusan
22/07/2007, 12:00 PM
The argument that they are being paid so that means that they have to listen to the abuse that is thrown at them does not wash either. These people are human beings and on occasions have family members at games. I have been a supporter of football for as long as i can remember and realise that officials are always going to be vilified for their troubles but some of the verbal abuse dished out towards these guys and girls borders on horrific. Sometimes you wonder how they restrain themselves. I have had it myself at a lower level and sometimes i wonder is it all worth it. But as i said above, officials must retain a level of professionalism.

Agree with all that.

When you pay 15 euro or whatever it is, it entitles you to support your team. It does not entitle you to abuse the referees or assistants.

However, as a referee/assistant, there is a level of professionalism which seems to have been breached here. If a player reacts to provocation, it is a red card offence, and there should be action taken if an official commits the same offense.

jebus
22/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Can't beat Paedo the line and his gesturing - hope to have this on youtube over the coming days :D

Now now, Paedo ain't getting paid either, he's perfectly entitled to call a spade a spade, or a Dub a tosser for that matter. :p

*Please do get that footage on youtube though, the tail between the leg gestures were some of the funniest things I've witnessed at an EL ground

Raheny Red
22/07/2007, 3:23 PM
Now now, Paedo ain't getting paid either, he's perfectly entitled to call a spade a spade, or a Dub a tosser for that matter. :p

*Please do get that footage on youtube though, the tail between the leg gestures were some of the funniest things I've witnessed at an EL ground

What age is he? Seemed no older than 16

Lim till i die
22/07/2007, 4:13 PM
What age is he? Seemed no older than 16

Can someone be underage and still be a Paedo though??

jebus
22/07/2007, 4:43 PM
Can someone be underage and still be a Paedo though??

Under Irish law who knows? Probably, but not if you're balancing a plate on your nose and are reciting the alphabet backwards whilst downloading the illegal images