PDA

View Full Version : Worst Ever Cover Version??????

Gary
26/03/2003, 11:41 AM
There have been a lot of dodgy cover version in the past. As im at home sick from work for the last week, Im tending to analyse everything to death. So here are the Covers I think are the greatest crimes against Music, almost in order.

1. Ronan Keatings “Fairytale Of New York” (okay, that’s the worst, the rest are random order).

2. Gareth Gates “Relight my Fire”

3. The new Version of “Aint Nobody” by Chake Khan, the gretaest disco track of all time ruined (anyone who was at the last Mor Disco in the Metroploe in 1999 will attest to that being played was one of the great moments of Cork clubbing history)

4. Madonnas “American Pie”

5. Robbie and the Ozzie one who was Married to Tom Cruise version of “Saying Something Stupid”

6. Jack Ls version of Kylies “Cant Get You Out Of My Head. Twas bad enough to begin with, why make it worse.

I sure theres more and there is worse, But I honestly think that Keating should be tried for murder for his attempt at that song.

Badweather Fan
26/03/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by GWA
1. Ronan Keatings “Fairytale Of New York” (okay, that’s the worst, the rest are random order).
I sure theres more and there is worse, But I honestly think that Keating should be tried for murder for his attempt at that song.
Fecking bang on.
Thought of it the second i saw the thread title.
Thats always on our p.a. in work and it can't be turned off.
I get even more suicidal.
Ronan Out!

Schumi
26/03/2003, 11:55 AM
I never liked the original either but that version was appalling.

Éanna
26/03/2003, 12:14 PM
1. Ronan Keatings “Fairytale Of New York” and anything else he ever did- he murdered that Garth brooks song too.

2. Gareth Gates “Relight my Fire”

3. Madonnas “American Pie”

not gonna hurt my head by thinkin of any other ones.

James
26/03/2003, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Think that dire band that were big a few years back (Hootie and the Blowfish?) have done a number on Joni Mitchell's song about putting up a parking lot - which is ironic because Janet Jackson did a very good and unusual cover a few years back.

that was Counting Crows NOT hootie an the fuppin blowfish

patsh
26/03/2003, 2:56 PM
Some crowd recently had a version of Neil Young's "After the Goldrush".
That was fairly chronic......
and yer man, Williams, his attempts at trying to pass himself off as a "crooner"..utterly appalling..:rolleyes:

Pauro 76
26/03/2003, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by GWA

Totally agree, what a f**k-up of a cover. All his songs are covers anyway, but that top the f**king lot.

heres one: All Saints ripping off Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge", sacrilege!

Also that muppet Pop Idol winner Will Young, "Light My Fire" or "LIGHT MY FIAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH" as he pronounces it...

Pauro 76
26/03/2003, 6:02 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Some crowd recently had a version of Neil Young's "After the Goldrush".
That was fairly chronic......
and yer man, Williams, his attempts at trying to pass himself off as a "crooner"..utterly appalling..:rolleyes:

oh yeah that was Six, pure utter rot....

and i also heard that Russian lesbo duo, Tatu attempt a cover version of The Smiths "How Soon Is Now".... appalling, a bunch of stray cats would do a better version than that one....

Kickeroo
26/03/2003, 7:33 PM
Originally posted by PAURO 7
oh yeah that was Six, pure utter rot....

and i also heard that Russian lesbo duo, Tatu attempt a cover version of The Smiths "How Soon Is Now".... appalling, a bunch of stray cats would do a better version than that one....

Well said!

Sixpence None the Richer seems to be the champs of cover songs over here, including covering the La's "There she goes" and now they butcher Crowded Houses' "Don't Dream It's Over " (not that is was a great song to begin with....)

Real ale Madrid
26/03/2003, 8:01 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Top of the pile would be

Christy Moore - Fairytale of New York. The greatest living chancer butchers another good song. And what's with using the word "poleis" instead of "police". Why didn't he through in a few "begobs" too...he did it in most other songs.

and

Christy Moore - Ride On. Mary Black did it so much better (the song, pervert, the song...)

Hey Conor, Leave Christy Moore alone the man is a living legend;)

patsh
26/03/2003, 8:10 PM
Originally posted by Kickeroo
Sixpence None the Richer
There exists a band with this name??
F*ck me, that even beats "Flux of Pink Indians"!!!!

Bosco
26/03/2003, 8:14 PM
Alan Partridge covered wonderwall the same time Oasis had it in the charts.It was obviously just Partridge messin around but it was fcukin awful

Pauro 76
27/03/2003, 7:58 AM
Originally posted by Bosco
Alan Partridge covered wonderwall the same time Oasis had it in the charts.It was obviously just Partridge messin around but it was fcukin awful

Dont think it was Partridge, it was this other cheesy listening chap called Mike Flowers Pops or something, no idea who he was....i heard it did even better in the charts than the actual Wonderwall, they were out round about the same time or something... but woeful cover version all the same!

Badweather Fan
27/03/2003, 9:03 AM
Ha ha it was Mike Flowerpops alright.
He also did Mr.Sandman.
Did better i think. Oasis was no.3 and he was top o d charts.

Dricky
27/03/2003, 10:32 AM
WOrst covers
Most you have listed
but the worst are all these R'nB songs (how it got the name R'n'B 'll never understand) taking mixes from every song and butchering it they are so unoriginal and are as bad as every reality/boy/girl band who are ripping off the songwriters with there covers.

Sheryl Crow's cover of Sweet Child O' Mine oh Sheryl you may be a ride but you murdered this one. O Sweet child of the blessed virgin

Macy
27/03/2003, 10:41 AM
Nobody mention gareth gates cover of "s-s-s-ss-s-s-suspicious minds".......

The already mentioned Sixpence None The Richer with There She Goes - A right wing christian boll0x group not sussing it's about smack..... Also the Children Need cover of Perfect Day, for pretty much the same reason.....

How about decent Cover versions?
Ian Brown - Billie Jean
Oasis - I am the Walrus
Ryan Adams - Wonderwall

(all I can think of off the top of my head....)

gustavo
27/03/2003, 10:43 AM
more decent covers

nirvana the man who sold the world
oasis helter skelter
foo fighters baker street

Badweather Fan
27/03/2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Also the Children Need cover of Perfect Day.
I thought that was ok.
Usually hate these charity celebrity get-together songs but i honestly thought they did it well
Especially Shane McGowans
"ITS SUCH FUN"

Macy
27/03/2003, 10:48 AM
It may have sounded okay, but that doesn't get over the fact of what the song is about.....

Badweather Fan
27/03/2003, 10:50 AM
Educate me.
Drug references?

Pauro 76
28/03/2003, 1:55 PM
Late entry here, but just heard Joe Dolans version of Mundy’s “Mexico” for his new covers album. The king of crap cover versions, hes been doing this sort of sh!te for a while now...Mullingar Mojo me @rse....:(

Éanna
28/03/2003, 2:44 PM
just heard joe dolan doing "ride on" on 2fm- awful

Macy
28/03/2003, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by Badweather Fan
Educate me.
Drug references?
It's basically about a day on smack...

If there's one thing worse than sh!te cover versions, it's sh!te charidee cover versions....

Schumi
28/03/2003, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by Macy
If there's one thing worse than sh!te cover versions, it's sh!te charidee cover versions.... Yeah, more people buy them "for charity". Just give the money to the charity and save the world from the $hite song.

fonzi
28/03/2003, 3:16 PM
madonna how dare you pop-larise a cult classic!
shame on you.