PDA

View Full Version : Best PC game

beautifulrock
18/07/2007, 12:55 PM
After much to and froing I have finally acquired a decent laptop with plenty of CPU speed and memory. Will use it mainly for my work but though it would be good to have a decent game that maximises the spec.

Always liked games like Total War, Civilisation etc. I dont have much knowledge of this genre so would be grateful if someone could tell me if there is a clear leader and save me having to trawl through the various website looking at feedback and reviews a etc. (Actually any good game would do, already have Football Manager though :)

Thanks in advance.

Louth4sam
18/07/2007, 1:04 PM
If you like that kind of game then get civilization iv. Brilliant game and doesn't get boring too quickly.

GavinZac
18/07/2007, 1:34 PM
civ 4 is fantastic and at this stage there are tons of free fan made add-ons for it too.

Lionel Ritchie
18/07/2007, 2:34 PM
I like Combat Flight Sim. Old I know but there aint a huge amount of flight sims out there. Hard to get such games for the PS2

John83
18/07/2007, 3:00 PM
...already have Football Manager...
There are other computer games? :eek::confused:

anto1208
18/07/2007, 4:24 PM
footy manager
sim city
Comand and conquer real time strategy war game ( you build your base train soldiers and build tanks etc ) similar to civ total war etc but you dont take turns ( which drives me mad ) best ones are C&C , red alert, generals and C&C 3 .

Also Company of heros is class WW2 game like C&C

Thats all i play on the PC

gilberto_eire
19/07/2007, 2:11 AM
make sure your PC can handle the games...i bought a PC a few mths ago, paid a bit for it(wasnt near the cheapest there) but my graphics card cant support most games ive tried they go really slow!....have to pay €80 for a graphics card from germany(i think thats where my ''P.C whizz'' friend said he'll order it, claims thats dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay here:confused:.... also told me he could get me an even better P.C then i got here, for a few hundred less!!)

beautifulrock
19/07/2007, 8:05 AM
make sure your PC can handle the games...i bought a PC a few mths ago, paid a bit for it(wasnt near the cheapest there) but my graphics card cant support most games ive tried they go really slow!!)

Its a decent spec but know what you mean Gilberto, I stopped buying PC Games for that very reason as the PC I had previously was not up to it. This laptop should do the job though.

Thanks for the heads up Guys I think Civ IV and Company of Hereos look very good and will get them at the weekend.

Bluebeard
19/07/2007, 8:47 AM
Aside from Footy/Champ Man, the classics for me would be Sim City, Settlers and the Civ games. You may get a slight idea of my gaming inclination from this.

anto1208
19/07/2007, 9:03 AM
Its a decent spec but know what you mean Gilberto, I stopped buying PC Games for that very reason as the PC I had previously was not up to it. This laptop should do the job though.

Thanks for the heads up Guys I think Civ IV and Company of Hereos look very good and will get them at the weekend.

If company of heros is running slow you can go into options and turn off things like shadows and ground / tree detail etc to make it run smoothly i had a new but pretty poor compaq laptop and after some messing with the option i got it to run perfectly .

Also be carefull buying games as most places wont let you return them ( im not sure on the legality of this surely it effect some consumer rights ) In game they gave me some nonsense excuse that there is a code with the game and once it is installed it wont work on any other machine so they cant resell it . Which is just a darn right lie as i have put game onto both my desktop and laptop .

Its for this reason i dont buy pc games anymore

sligoman
19/07/2007, 11:02 AM
You may get a slight idea of my gaming inclination from this.I think we like the same type of games so Bluebeard. Simple, yet tough:D.

bellavistaman
19/07/2007, 12:11 PM
Sims, classic drives ya bonkers though.

Shelsman
19/07/2007, 4:56 PM
If you're into First Person Shooters -try Far Cry. You can turn up the graphics on it big time and the sound is AMAZING. Be warned though, it's b*tch hard. If you get it from www.play.com and you should get it bought and delivered for less than a tenner ( actually, just checked and it is €12.49 ).

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/880175/Far-Cry/Product.html

Bald Student
19/07/2007, 5:37 PM
I found Civ IV much too complicated for me. There were too many things to keep track of.

beautifulrock
19/07/2007, 9:16 PM
I found Civ IV much too complicated for me. There were too many things to keep track of.

The one thing that is off putting for me is the taking turns bit, that was in another game I played and did not like it.

jebus
20/07/2007, 1:51 PM
Also be carefull buying games as most places wont let you return them ( im not sure on the legality of this surely it effect some consumer rights ) In game they gave me some nonsense excuse that there is a code with the game and once it is installed it wont work on any other machine so they cant resell it . Which is just a darn right lie as i have put game onto both my desktop and laptop .

I used to work for GAME and the reason they stopped taking back non-faulty PC games was that people were buying one, passing it around their friends who had downloaded that patch that means you don't need to insert the disk to start your game, and then returning it. So for 10 people to buy a 40euro game (say), they could all just chip in 4euro and then get that back when they all have the game installed.

Legally they are allowed to do this, the law says that unless there is a fault in the game itself they don't have to take it back, or exchange it. So excuses like, my aunt bought it for me for my birthday already, or even my computer specs aren't up to scratch don't cut it in GAME or anywhere else anymore, as when you buy the game you should have checked if your aunt had already bought it, or that your PC was able to run it. I actually fully agree with them on this, for a while GAME was being treated like a friggin library by some, and it got well out of hand, and thus ruined it for the rest of us who used to return the odd game when you got it home and realised it was crap.

kdjaC
20/07/2007, 1:57 PM
Legally they are allowed to do this, the law says that unless there is a fault in the game itself they don't have to take it back, or exchange it. So excuses like, my aunt bought it for me for my birthday already, or even my computer specs aren't up to scratch don't cut it in GAME or anywhere else anymore, as when you buy the game you should have checked if your aunt had already bought it, or that your PC was able to run it. I actually fully agree with them on this, for a while GAME was being treated like a friggin library by some, and it got well out of hand, and thus ruined it for the rest of us who used to return the odd game when you got it home and realised it was crap.

Get your mother to bring it back and say the kid is under the age on the box.

kdjac

jebus
20/07/2007, 2:03 PM
Get your mother to bring it back and say the kid is under the age on the box

Even, or especially, at the age of 26 I'd like to think my mother would give me a clip round the ear for suggesting that to her :D

superfrank
20/07/2007, 2:05 PM
Railroad Tycoon was great. I also think Knights and Merchants and the Caesar series are good buys as well.

GavinZac
20/07/2007, 2:10 PM
Also be carefull buying games as most places wont let you return them ( im not sure on the legality of this surely it effect some consumer rights ) In game they gave me some nonsense excuse that there is a code with the game and once it is installed it wont work on any other machine so they cant resell it . Which is just a darn right lie as i have put game onto both my desktop and laptopno, its not

when you play a game online, you use the code to create an account. you can install the game anywhere you want but you're still using that same account. If they sell it on, the next person will either need your account or simply cant play it online.

anto1208
20/07/2007, 2:14 PM
I used to work for GAME and the reason they stopped taking back non-faulty PC games was that people were buying one, passing it around their friends who had downloaded that patch that means you don't need to insert the disk to start your game, and then returning it. So for 10 people to buy a 40euro game (say), they could all just chip in 4euro and then get that back when they all have the game installed.

Oh i know why they do it, but in fairness if i wanted to steal a game id just down load it,then id have it for free and quicker then going to town buying the game going home installing it patching it going back to town and making up excuses to get my money back then going home and playing it .

Also ive often got games that list min specs , ive gotten home and my comp that has better than the min and it still doesnt work Civ IV and rome being 2 of the last two i got that dont run properly on a new laptop its a pain and why i dont buy pc games any more .

Whats the return policy in HMV on say returning a CD because you listened to it and realised its crap are you stuck with it as well ? i presume you are because of mp3 players copying etc .

jebus
21/07/2007, 7:09 PM
Whats the return policy in HMV on say returning a CD because you listened to it and realised its crap are you stuck with it as well ? i presume you are because of mp3 players copying etc .

Having worked for HMV (I've been around) I can tell you, it's up to the worker whether or not to take back the CD, but most don't, and if you are one of the ones that do, and do it regularly, you get frowned on

I can also answer questions on Xtravision, Virgin and Golden Disks policies should anyone have any queries, I've worked them all:p

highlight100
26/07/2007, 11:27 PM
America's Army is the game for me. And it is a free download also!

sadloserkid
28/07/2007, 10:27 PM
Football Manager, Zoo tycoon, Stronghold, Sims 2... wow I'm as big a geek as Bluebeard. :D

anto1208
30/07/2007, 12:47 PM
Football Manager, Zoo tycoon, Stronghold, Sims 2... wow I'm as big a geek as Bluebeard. :D

Never got into the sims played it for a little i just kept havin gto go around feeding them cleaning up washing and sleeping !! i would have been better off cleaning my own house rather than his prob would have been more fun too .

Got new york city tycoon for 8 euro in game only started playing it seems like it could be good .

beautifulrock
30/07/2007, 12:50 PM
got Company of Heroes at the weekend. Have not really got into it other than having a few skirmishes and getting a good kicking in the process. Seems like a very good game though and need to spend more time ensuring I have some heavy artillery at the ready. Have found the sniper to be useful :)

anto1208
30/07/2007, 12:54 PM
got Company of Heroes at the weekend. Have not really got into it other than having a few skirmishes and getting a good kicking in the process. Seems like a very good game though and need to spend more time ensuring I have some heavy artillery at the ready. Have found the sniper to be useful :)

Best advice COVER !!! :D use walls buildings etc to get your men behind otherwise they ll get slaughtered , great game .

I was a little dissapointed after finishing it i couldnt do the missions as the gerry's :(

beautifulrock
30/07/2007, 1:02 PM
Best advice COVER !!! :D use walls buildings etc to get your men behind otherwise they ll get slaughtered , great game .

:(

:) Thanks Anto, found that near the end when i had only a few points left. good game alright.

Bluebeard
30/07/2007, 3:18 PM

Cool. Maybe we could meet up and watch some trains some day;)

sadloserkid
30/07/2007, 3:19 PM
Cool. Maybe we could meet up and watch some trains some day;)

Will that be before or after we examine each others stamp collection though? :)

Bluebeard
30/07/2007, 4:42 PM
Will that be before or after we examine each others stamp collection though? :)

Here, have you heard of these things called "Girls"?

sadloserkid
31/07/2007, 1:29 PM
Here, have you heard of these things called "Girls"?

I know of them! ;) I wouldn't recommend you go and examine any of them too closely though. Most of them don't like it and those that do wouldn't pass Mammy Bluebeard's harsh standards for her son. :)