PDA

View Full Version : Longford vs UCD

DmanDmythDledge
18/07/2007, 1:47 AM
Big match for us. We need to bounce back from the disappointment of losing agaisnt Rovers and get the much needed victory. There wasn't a lot wrong with the performance on Monday apart from a few things.

1. We weren't clinical enough in the final third, most notably when Forsyth had that chance at the end of the first half. I wouldn't change the front two though as I think the goals will come good soon enough for Forsyth as he hasn't had much of chance yet. With Paul Byrne set to be out for a while give him his chance and see can he deliver. Sammo is Sammo, we know what he does poor and knoq what he does best. If he does what he's good at we're fine. And in fairness to him he has actually started to win balls in the air, which makes him less one-dimensional.

Also we weren't able to find that killer ball but I'm going to put that down to Rovers' well organised defence. Finn and McFaul have good vision, they can get the job done.

2. Matt Gregg was awful in the air. He should have gone and caught the delivery which resulted in the first goal. Quigley definitely would have. Bring him back asap.

3. Marking was poor from set pieces. You can't get away with that at this level. It's basic stuff and something we should be doing right.

4. I'm probably being a bit harsh here but Alan Mahon gave Rovers' left winger far too much space. He was hardly ever under any pressure and was able to take his time picking out his cross. If we didn't have Kenna the scoreline would have been greater.

Without highlighting the negatives too much there were plenty of postives.

1. Finn and McFaul have shown they can play together.
2. We now have two out and out wingers (although they're both injured).
3. Bermingham has been performing very well. Solid, all you want really from your full back.
4. Kenna is even more immense than he was last season.

Here's the team I'd like to see on Saturday:

----------Quigley

Mahon Kenna McNally Bermingham

McWalter Finn McFaul Doyle

--------Forsyth Sammo

I know Pete said he'd wait a few weeks before playing Podge but looks like we have to now (if Conan and Fitzy are still injured). Fitzgerald looked pretty bad alright, must have aggravated his old one. I wouldn't be surprised though if Finn went out wide (disaster imo) and Tony Mc or Crowley came into the middle. Finn and McFaul were excellent on Monday and should be left where they were. McFaul bossed the midfield, really got stuck in. A Gary Dicker like performance actually, but with more agression. I can see why he has got youth international caps. Finn's only coming back from injury so we know he's capable of more. Good to see that he has settled into the centre mid role now after some very poor performances earlier in the season. And despite my criticism of him I have faith in Doyler on Saturday.:) Bring on De Town.

Also looking forward to the half time game.:) We must get our trophy back.:D

Angus
18/07/2007, 7:56 AM
Can't remember if we said we were running a bus but I will probably drive - have room for 1 or 2 more.

John83
18/07/2007, 11:22 AM
Schumi has yet to arrange a bus (or at least this was the case on Monday).

Poor Student
18/07/2007, 4:46 PM
I'm not fond of this Conan Byrne on the left thing, he's far less effective out there. He's been our best player so far this season and though Fitzgerald looks to be an exciting prospect I don't think Conan should be moved to accomodate him. I'd go with Conan starting with Fitz on the bench as an option to bring on to change things if needed. I know this is redundant for the Longford game as both are unlikely to be fit.

I don't rate Forsyth based on that game. He seems very slow in reaction time and he looked very laboured trying to turn or lose a defender. Timmy Purcell looks a better option for 3rd choice striker.

I was impressed with the Finn/Mc Faul partnership although I can't help but feel there's a presence missing when Tony Mac isn't playing there.

I'd agree that Bermingham really seems to be coming into his own. Very comfortable on the ball and good at bringing it forward. Alan Mahon is Alan Mahon, tries his best but often caught out of position or is beaten easily.

The table makes frightening reading I'm afraid. If we do drop points to Longford then we'll be serious contenders for heading into the playoffs.

pineapple stu
18/07/2007, 7:24 PM
I don't rate Forsyth based on that game.
It was essentially his league debut. I'd wait a bit longer before rating him.

I'd put Tony in there somewhere. Try and sneak 12 players onto the pitch if we have to.

Alan Mahon was also injured towards the end of Monday's game. Don't know if he'll be out too. McFaul may be suspended, although looks unlikely at this stage. Will probably end up missing Bohs.

DmanDmythDledge
18/07/2007, 10:06 PM
I'm not fond of this Conan Byrne on the left thing, he's far less effective out there. He's been our best player so far this season and though Fitzgerald looks to be an exciting prospect I don't think Conan should be moved to accomodate him. I'd go with Conan starting with Fitz on the bench as an option to bring on to change things if needed. I know this is redundant for the Longford game as both are unlikely to be fit.

I don't rate Forsyth based on that game. He seems very slow in reaction time and he looked very laboured trying to turn or lose a defender. Timmy Purcell looks a better option for 3rd choice striker.
Conan is better on the right but the team is better with Fitzgerald and Conan than with Conan and Doyle. You have to make the best decision for the team. Conan still did well enough on Monday. Interestingly it says on Fitzgerald's profile on Bohs' site that he can play on either wing so they would be able to interchange, which actually happened on Monday.

As pineapple said it was his first chance in the first team. He's been prolific at U-21 level so he knows where the goal is. Purcell has had his chance and has failed to impress. He's a very limited player. I'm surprised he wasn't dropped sooner.

Schumi
19/07/2007, 11:40 AM
Interestingly it says on Fitzgerald's profile on Bohs' site that he can play on either wing so they would be able to interchange, which actually happened on Monday.If Fitzgerald can play either side, then surely it makes more sense to play him on the left. Conan was much less effective on the left on Monday.

John83
19/07/2007, 3:14 PM
If Fitzgerald can play either side, then surely it makes more sense to play him on the left. Conan was much less effective on the left on Monday.
My thinking too, but if he's that comfortable on the left, why did Pete Mahon move Conan to accommodate him on the right on Monday?

CollegeTillIDie
19/07/2007, 8:04 PM
We'll be short of cover when the Bangkok 8 head out to play in the World Student Games lads.

Poor Student
19/07/2007, 8:40 PM
Conan is better on the right but the team is better with Fitzgerald and Conan than with Conan and Doyle. You have to make the best decision for the team. Conan still did well enough on Monday. Interestingly it says on Fitzgerald's profile on Bohs' site that he can play on either wing so they would be able to interchange, which actually happened on Monday.

Actually I think the team is better with Conan and Doyler. With those two you've got proper balance, an exceptional right winger and an unspectacular but competent left winger. With Fitzgerald and Conan you mess up the form of your best performer and tinker with the balance of the team and everything. We still don't know how great Fitzgerald is. Yes, he's as fast as lightening, but how's his delivery? Also, I think Rovers eventually nullified him and Pete got the wingers to swap over. I'd be interested to see how comfortable Fitz is on the left.

As pineapple said it was his first chance in the first team. He's been prolific at U-21 level so he knows where the goal is. Purcell has had his chance and has failed to impress. He's a very limited player. I'm surprised he wasn't dropped sooner.

I don't think Purcell is a great player either but aspects of Forsyth's game just looked like they'll never be good enough for top level. I don't put much stock at what goes on at U-21 level. I'd be gladly proved totally wrong though.:)

DmanDmythDledge
19/07/2007, 10:47 PM
We'll be short of cover when the Bangkok 8 head out to play in the World Student Games lads.
No we won't.

What relevance does that have to this thread anyway?

Angus
20/07/2007, 3:15 PM
Guys, I have room for 2 more for the game tomorrow if anybody needs a lift. Probably look to leave Dublin at 5.00pm - ish

Schumi
20/07/2007, 3:24 PM
There's two people looking to go, I'll give them your number if that's OK. Where are you driving from?

Bald Student
20/07/2007, 3:31 PM
What's the plan? I have Dmandmongodledge in my car. Who else?

Also, 2 cars, is this our biggest ever travelling support?

Schumi
20/07/2007, 3:37 PM
What's the plan? I have Dmandmongodledge in my car. Who else?AFAIK, John 83, me and DmanDwindoWledge are going in your car.

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 4:18 PM
:cool: (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/news.php?id=3800)

pineapple stu
20/07/2007, 5:37 PM
Is there any chance of the game being off? If Longford has had half as much rain as Dublin, the pitch is probably under two foot of water at this stage.

Schumi
20/07/2007, 7:37 PM
Is there any chance of the game being off? If Longford has had half as much rain as Dublin, the pitch is probably under two foot of water at this stage.Should be OK apparently (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=728893#post728893).

pineapple stu
20/07/2007, 9:42 PM
Bray and Sligo win tonight. Down to ninth (always going to happen as either Bray or Galway were going to pass us out). Need to get a win tomorrow now to put a bit of space between us and the bottom three (five points if we win). Victory would lift us up to seventh.

Think we've been playing well enough (against Rovers and Rovers in particular) without getting anything out of it. De Town are on a poor run of form and are shipping two goals a game, so it seems the ideal game to start to turn things around. Bohs at home and Pat's away after that; could be tough if we don't win.

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 9:47 PM
Victory would lift us up to seventh.

Think we've been playing well enough (against Rovers and Rovers in particular) without getting anything out of it. De Town are on a poor run of form and are shipping two goals a game, so it seems the ideal game to start to turn things around. Bohs at home and Pat's away after that; could be tough if we don't win.
Only if we win by 2.

This is a game we should win. Longford have only earned 8 points from 18 games. Our performance against Rovers was encouraging and if we perform like that again there's no reason why we can't get two wins in our next two matches, apart from dodgy goalkeeping.

CollegeTillIDie
20/07/2007, 9:51 PM
No we won't.

What relevance does that have to this thread anyway?

Forsyth and Fitzgerald are heading out east you plank!:cool:

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 9:53 PM
Forsyth and Fitzgerald are heading out east you plank!
1. It's in a month.:rolleyes:
2. Fitzgerald isn't going:rolleyes:
3. We have 6 strikers.:rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
20/07/2007, 9:55 PM
3. We have 6 strikers.:rolleyes:

Paul Byrne is injured and none of the rest are scoring...

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 9:58 PM
Paul Byrne is injured and none of the rest are scoring...
You said we'd be short of cover, that's been proven wrong. Stop going off topic.

CollegeTillIDie
20/07/2007, 10:00 PM
You said we'd be short of cover, that's been proven wrong. Stop going off topic.

Strikers who aren't scoring are no f***ing use especially when nobody else in the team is scoring either. Both players I mentioned in my previous post have been mentioned in this thread in the context of which team people would like to see playing tomorrow against LONGFORD!

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 10:04 PM
in the context of which team people would like to see playing tomorrow against LONGFORD!
Nothing to do with the World Student Games.:rolleyes:

In regards to the rest of your post do you think losing Darren Forsyth will be that big of a loss?

Schumi
20/07/2007, 10:08 PM
Relax both of you.

Any word on how the four guys injured on Monday are? Are any of them likely to be out for long?

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 10:10 PM
Any word on how the four guys injured on Monday are? Are any of them likely to be out for long?
Conan seems to be fine, Pete was saying in his post match interview that PB looked pretty bad, no word on Fitzgerald or Mahon.

pineapple stu
20/07/2007, 10:14 PM
Only if we win by 2.
We go ahead of Derry on goals scored with a one goal win.

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2007, 10:17 PM
We go ahead of Derry on goals scored with a one goal win.
You're right. Thought Derry had scored 17.

:cool: (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/news.php?id=3800)
Nobody agress with me.:eek:

Aberdonian Stu
21/07/2007, 8:54 AM
The team news for tonight is that Paul Byrne and Fitzgerald are definitely out while Conan should be fit to play.

DmanDmythDledge
21/07/2007, 1:12 PM
From eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28565):

UCD manager Pete Mahon must plan without top scorer Paul Byrne and promising youngster Shane Fitzgerald for Saturday evening’s Premier Division clash with Longford Town.

Byrne, who has scored six league goals this season, has been feeling the effects of a knee injury in recent weeks and will play no part against the midlanders.

Fitzgerald, meanwhile, impressed on his debut against Shamrock Rovers on Monday night but a calf injury picked up at Tolka Park keeps him out of Mahon’s plans this weekend.

Paul Crowley could return to the side having served a suspension and Derek Doyle is in contention to replace Fitzgerald on the wing.

Longford may be 13 points adrift at the bottom but the College boss expects a tough test with Town buoyed by their performance against high-flying St Patrick’s Athletic last weekend.

He said: “I know Longford are rooted to the bottom of the table but they have some decent players.

“It’s only a matter of time until they win a game but I hope they postpone it for one more week.”
It wasn't Fitzgerald's debut against Rovers, but I wouldn't expect anything less from eleven-a-side. Good preview though.

Schumi
21/07/2007, 1:53 PM
It wasn't Fitzgerald's debut against Rovers, but I wouldn't expect anything less from eleven-a-side.I wonder where they got their erroneous information from. :D

Aberdonian Stu
21/07/2007, 4:30 PM
Not the Media Relations Manager, I can assure you of that!

CollegeTillIDie
21/07/2007, 9:00 PM
Losing to Longford... that's the final straw. Not being able to score against Longford either ..... we're going down!

pineapple stu
28/07/2007, 4:01 PM
Just back from a week away, and I see the first two threads in the forum end with CTID's usual pessimistic nonsense - almost identical posts. Good to see nothing's changed. :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
29/07/2007, 4:52 PM
Just back from a week away, and I see the first two threads in the forum end with CTID's usual pessimistic nonsense - almost identical posts. Good to see nothing's changed. :rolleyes:

Did you see any of the game ? I only saw Eircom League Weekly ! We even looked sh1t on the highlights!