PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Derry, Drogs and Pats to progress?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dodge
17/07/2007, 8:47 AM
Following on from various threads about the league's representatives in europe; What teams would like to see win or lose from the Derry, Drogheda and pats games in europe this week. You can pick one outcome for each team

gustavo
17/07/2007, 8:50 AM
Yes , I like to see all Irish teams do well in Europe regardless of who they are

sfc red
17/07/2007, 8:50 AM
Hope all 3 progress.

Erstwhile Bóz
17/07/2007, 9:03 AM
Not really enough of a league of Ireland fan per se for all this lovey-dovey do-well-in-Europe stuff; I have a soft spot for Derry, though, especially as we have now entered Fenlon-free Derry. Don't care about Drogs and unfortunately am petty enough to want Pat's to fail and to hell with the consequences.

SunderlandBohs
17/07/2007, 10:14 AM
Hope all 3 do well. It'll show people that the LOI is improving every year and things can only get better for the league. Another good season in Europe will increase our stock through Europe and will get a better seeding. So with Derry, Drogs & Pat's doing well the whole league wins.

CharlesThompson
17/07/2007, 10:32 AM
I hope all three progress as much as any Irish team has progressed in recent seasons. For the famously inevitable 'break-through', I'd like for that to be saved for Bohs next season! :)

Buller
17/07/2007, 10:40 AM
Hope all 3 kick some euro ass... :D

green-blood
17/07/2007, 10:50 AM
really couldn't care less

I kinda hope Pats and Drogs get through one round, but with tough games, maybe even with extra time and then get nice long trips for the second round.... nothing to do with the 3 way battle for the league title of course :-)

Derry are out of the league battle, so yeah let them have a run, sure they are used to European away trips every second week - Galway, Cork, Sligo, dublin.....

Louth4sam
17/07/2007, 10:55 AM
Derry are out of the league battle, so yeah let them have a run, sure they are used to European away trips every second week - Galway, Cork, Sligo, dublin.....
:D:D

Hope they all get through a few rounds (yes even drogheda) Its good for the coefficient and good for the leagues image.

paul_oshea
17/07/2007, 10:55 AM
this poll has restored my faith in you EL supporters. maith an fear. :)

I hope all the teams do well.

WeAreRovers
17/07/2007, 10:59 AM
really couldn't care less

I kinda hope Pats and Drogs get through one round, but with tough games, maybe even with extra time and then get nice long trips for the second round.... nothing to do with the 3 way battle for the league title of course :-)

What he said. Pats and Drogheda to get distracted by Europe while we go about the business of turning the 3 horse race into a 2 horse race - starting next Monday in Tolka.

KOH

Sheridan
17/07/2007, 11:02 AM
Least fussed about Derry of the three, but I wish them all well.

Not sure what the point of this thread is, it's just going to turn into another excuse for the usual tiresome poseurs to parade their cool (but never silent) indifference.

Dodge
17/07/2007, 11:05 AM
Not sure what the point of this thread is, it's just going to turn into another excuse for the usual tiresome poseurs to parade their cool (but never silent) indifference.

No, I genuinely wanted to know if it was still the case that the majority of LOI fans wanted the teams to do well. I split it up as there may be club rivalries stopping posters wanting one club rather than all 3

Oh and WaR, the league is a one horse race and a 4 way race for 2nd place...

WeAreRovers
17/07/2007, 11:09 AM

It should be but lets wait and see....

KOH

elliott06
17/07/2007, 11:44 AM
I hope all the irish teams progress, and so should everyone else realistically.

Mr A
17/07/2007, 11:46 AM
Hope the teams progress but voted don't care about Derry as I heard that if they progress the date of the cup game might be moved, which would mess up my chances of getting to it. Not sure it that is true mind you.

micls
17/07/2007, 11:48 AM
Hope all 3 progress, and it coincides with terrible league form for all of them

superfrank
17/07/2007, 11:49 AM
Don't care how any of them do.

gufcfan
17/07/2007, 12:07 PM
As much as supporters like to think of themselves as different to supporters of other clubs, when europe comes around everybody likes to get behind whichever el team happens to be in europe.

It does the profile of the league good. Remember Shels against Depor. I certainly wasnt shouting for Depor!

superfrank
17/07/2007, 12:18 PM
It does the profile of the league good. Remember Shels against Depor. I certainly wasnt shouting for Depor!
Do you think Glentoran fans would cheer on Linfield??

If we want to move on from being a small minded league, this kind of supporting whoever's doing the best in Europe oughta be gotten rid of.

There was something like 30,000 at the Shels Depor match in Landsdowne, how many did Shels get at their next league match? Certainly was nowhere near that because the bulk of it was el fans jumping on the bandwagon.

paul_oshea
17/07/2007, 12:21 PM
There was something like 30,000 at the Shels Depor match in Landsdowne, how many did Shels get at their next league match? Certainly was nowhere near that because the bulk of it was el fans jumping on the bandwagon.

wasnt at home at the time, but i knew quite a few lads who never attended any EL matches that went to this, and since haven't been to any EL games. It was the people who follow 'soccer' in Ireland that went to see this who dont actually attend EL games as much as EL fans jumping on the bandwagon...

pineapple stu
17/07/2007, 12:22 PM
If we want to move on from being a small minded league, this kind of supporting whoever's doing the best in Europe oughta be gotten rid of.
How in th ename of God is supporting Irish teams in Europe small minded?

People are very quick to trot out this allegation without ever bothering to show any link between the two.

Best of luck to all three teams. Even Drogheda. :)

CharlesThompson
17/07/2007, 12:27 PM
Do you think Glentoran fans would cheer on Linfield??

Not sure about their next league match, but their next match was a up game against Derry and a miserly 900 odd turned up for that one. Just shows how great the Oireland Soccer Supporting public really are if you ask me. W@nkers the lot of them.

dcfc1985
17/07/2007, 12:27 PM
Be good to see all Irish teams progress north and south, Derrys run last year in the UEFA cup was fantastic for Irish football.
Was glad they got knocked out against PSG....I couldnt afford the group stages!! :D:D

superfrank
17/07/2007, 12:37 PM
How in th ename of God is supporting Irish teams in Europe small minded?

People are very quick to trot out this allegation without ever bothering to show any link between the two.
All the big leagues have fierce rivalries, not always pretty, but it makes those leagues far more interesting to watch. Real-Barca, Inter-AC-Juve, Roma-Lazio, Ajax-Feyenoord-PSV, Rangers-Celtic....I can go on forever. These clubs all have really devoted fans who don't give two craps about any other team if they do well in Europe or whatever. It's something we should aspire to if we want to be taken seriously as a football league.

Imo, it's as if we're accepting the way our league is by just going off and supporting any ol' team that happens to have a chance of progressing, just so we can say "Been there, got the t-shirt". So what if one team gets though? If it's not your team, why support them? It's called rivalry. You can see the way we think about each other just by reading the forums. Yet when European season rolls around, we're all buddies cheering on whoever. It's pathetic. We might as well not support any teams and just put forward an el XI for every European game and then we can all support them. Imo, the idea of supporting whoever devalues the fan's reputations and the league will never progress. If you want one common team to support, support the national side.

micls
17/07/2007, 12:42 PM
But by supporting Pats Derry and Drogs I am supporting my own team. Because the better they do the better itl be for us in Europe(please God) next year....surely you can understand that.

Fair enough as a Bray fan you have no reason to support them but I certainly do.

OneRedArmy
17/07/2007, 12:43 PM
All the big leagues have fierce rivalries, not always pretty, but it makes those leagues far more interesting to watch. Real-Barca, Inter-AC-Juve, Roma-Lazio, Ajax-Feyenoord-PSV, Rangers-Celtic....I can go on forever. These clubs all have really devoted fans who don't give two craps about any other team if they do well in Europe or whatever. It's something we should aspire to if we want to be taken seriously as a football league.

Imo, it's as if we're accepting the way our league is by just going off and supporting any ol' team that happens to have a chance of progressing, just so we can say "Been there, got the t-shirt". So what if one team gets though? If it's not your team, why support them? It's called rivalry. You can see the way we think about each other just by reading the forums. Yet when European season rolls around, we're all buddies cheering on whoever. It's pathetic. We might as well not support any teams and just put forward an el XI for every European game and then we can all support them. Imo, the idea of supporting whoever devalues the fan's reputations and the league will never progress. If you want one common team to support, support the national side.There are many things wrong with our domestic game but I don't think this rates amongst the top 100.

Come up to the Harps Derry game and you'll see all the rivalry you need, ditto at Rovers v Bohs and I'm sure the Munster derby this week will be good.

You've referenced countries above which all share one thing, the overwhelming majority of their football fans support their domestic teams.

I don't care too much about what happens to the other sides (and I have my own views on coefficient obsessives) but I do have an interest in a strong domestic League and I believe regularly performing well in Europe, whilst by no means the be-all and end-all, is one thing that can help the profile of the League.

Dr.Nightdub
17/07/2007, 12:53 PM

Dodge, word of advice, don't get drawn into horse-racing analogies with WAR. ;)

superfrank
17/07/2007, 12:55 PM
But by supporting Pats Derry and Drogs I am supporting my own team. Because the better they do the better itl be for us in Europe(please God) next year....surely you can understand that.

Fair enough as a Bray fan you have no reason to support them but I certainly do.
I understand why you feel that way. Bray have been in Europe before and they could easily be back but I don't expect any other tem in our league to do us any favours. It would be nice to have an "easier" draw but it really doesn't matter who we'd play. And I'd want Bray to be doing well in Europe for Bray alone. I would rather Bray were playing a European match with the usual fans than have the ground swelled with el fans who are cheering us on cos it'll benefit them.

Dodge
17/07/2007, 12:56 PM

I was. In fact I was ****ting bricks until Depor scored their second

superfrank
17/07/2007, 12:57 PM
You've referenced countries above which all share one thing, the overwhelming majority of their football fans support their domestic teams.
I mentioned the IL as well, a league we are suppossedly better than but like I said I doubt you'd get any Glentoran fans cheering on Linfield/.

I don't care too much about what happens to the other sides (and I have my own views on coefficient obsessives) but I do have an interest in a strong domestic League and I believe regularly performing well in Europe, whilst by no means the be-all and end-all, is one thing that can help the profile of the League.
Yes it does but I'm only going to gout and support an el team in Europe when it's Bray. I don't care about any other teams.

Sam_Heggy
17/07/2007, 12:58 PM
hope all 3 go through tbh. good for LOI if all can advance.

micls
17/07/2007, 12:58 PM
I understand why you feel that way. Bray have been in Europe before and they could easily be back but I don't expect any other tem in our league to do us any favours. It would be nice to have an "easier" draw but it really doesn't matter who we'd play. And I'd want Bray to be doing well in Europe for Bray alone. I would rather Bray were playing a European match with the usual fans than have the ground swelled with el fans who are cheering us on cos it'll benefit them.

It doesnt really matter who ye play? Is that cos you dont expect to progress either way?

An easier draw=progression to next round=more money for club and co-efficients for next year.....hopefully culminating in eventually reaching the group stages of Uefa and even more money for the club.

And il take the 20euro of anyone who wants to give it to us. EL clubs always need money

superfrank
17/07/2007, 1:00 PM
It doesnt really matter who ye play? Is that cos you dont expect to progress either way?

An easier draw=progression to next round=more money for club and co-efficients for next year.....hopefully culminating in eventually reaching the group stages of Uefa and even more money for the club.

And il take the 20euro of anyone who wants to give it to us. EL clubs always need money
It really doesn't matter who Bray were to play. There all football teams. And in all honesty if we're knocked out earlier than at least we can focus on the league/cup which imo is more important.

pineapple stu
17/07/2007, 1:03 PM
See, that's what I see as small minded - thinking we should do things exactly the same as other leagues purely because they do it.

Do you really think more people are going to come to UCD games if I want Drogheda to get humiliated by a Sammarinese team? You've made absolutely no attempt to connect your two points.

And for what it's worth, when we beat Cork in the Cup as a First Division side theee years ago, I actually enjoyed it more because they'd been in the InterToto Cup Third Round the previous weekend.

superfrank
17/07/2007, 1:05 PM
Do you really think more people are going to come to UCD games if I want Drogheda to get humiliated by a Sammarinese team? You've made absolutely no attempt to connect your two points.
I didn't say that and I honestly don't believe that.

pineapple stu
17/07/2007, 1:06 PM
You say fierce rivalries are necessary if we're to be taken seriously as a league. Taken seriously by whom?

If it's by other leagues, I don't care what they think of us. The only other option is the barstoolers here, who we want to come to our games, hence my point.

"Taken seriously" is another point trotted out by people who never actually stop to think about what they're saying, I find.

GavinZac
17/07/2007, 1:09 PM
It really doesn't matter who Bray were to play. There all football teams. And in all honesty if we're knocked out earlier than at least we can focus on the league/cup which imo is more important.

honestly, its not. the european club cups are (arguably) the pinnacle of world football. when you find yourself 135 minutes away from facing AC Milian, you'll understand.

the league is terribly important, and more so than europe at the moment - because realistically, we cannot achieve the next step in europe just yet. however, when a set up is available that has the potential to reach a group stages, it will be far more important than the league. reaching UEFA/CL group stages, if repeatable as well as being the money spinner, will be the turning point for the irish public's interest, at least that is my prediction.

superfrank
You say fierce rivalries are necessary if we're to be taken seriously as a league. Taken seriously by whom?
Fans of el clubs. I mean we all know the way posters go on here about other clubs and at el matches. Yet we're then ready to go off and support these teams when they play in Europe. WTF? :confused:

paul_oshea
heres a generalisation but reading these last few threads about thsi general area/topic it seems to be the majority of Dublin - based - ( and environs ;) ) EL fans that dont want other teams to do well.....why is that?

you say small minded-ness. to be that is small mindedness I mean surely you should be lookign for bigger and better things, and not be happy in your own stye, by doing well and conquering Europe that is certainly not being small-minded, completely the oppossite I feel.

the league is terribly important, and more so than europe at the moment - best realistically, we cannot achieve the next step in europe just yet. however, when a set up is available that has the potential to reach a group stages, it will be far more important than the league. reaching UEFA/CL group stages, if repeatable as well as being the money spinner, will be the turning point for the irish public's interest, at least that is my prediction.

This I feel, is a very valid assertion. The only thing I can see coming against you is the more money available to teams in other countries at the same level as Ireland, not even money but the teams "getting better" on a level relative to EL teams progressing ( on and off the field ) and "getting better".

But one thing is for certain, if EL teams got to group stages and faired decent it would definitely 110% increase attendances at games ( begining with European games ) because they would sit up and take notice, especially if they were playing against English teams, or more established and well known European teams - when playing in europe obviouslly :).

swano
Would like to see them all progress especially as it could have an impact on their league form. Don't realistically think we can catch Drogs and I have them backed for the league so if any were to fail I'd prefer it to be Drogs.

superfrank
17/07/2007, 1:11 PM
heres a generalisation but reading these last few threads about thsi general area/topic it seems to be the majority of Dublin - based - ( and environs ;) ) EL fans that dont want other teams to do well.....why is that?
I like that.

I don't think where you're from effects it.

Dodge
17/07/2007, 1:23 PM

Its not true, look at the poll results (and who voted)

paul_oshea
17/07/2007, 1:33 PM
ok well the ones being more vocal dodge over the last few threads are definately dublin clubs fans in the majority.

how do you check who ( member ) voted for what though?

Dodge
17/07/2007, 1:35 PM
Click on the numbers. I'll grant you the point about the more vocal fans though

The Lilywhites
17/07/2007, 2:22 PM
Derry are my favourite club outside Dundalk so hope they go through. Don't really care about Pats, but I hope Drogheda get hammered :D

sligoman
17/07/2007, 3:46 PM
Hope Derry and Drogheda progress. Hope Pat's fail.

CJTheGull
17/07/2007, 3:47 PM
Hope all of the clubs do well although it will be really difficult for Pat's against Odense and the Derry matches are a bit of an trip into the unknown but I would like to think they are better than the Armenians. The eircom League teams have improved dramatically in Europe recently but it would be terrible to let all that hard work go to waste with another bad showing we were all accustomed to a few years back. C'mon lads do the League proud - onwards and upwards - you can do it!

Soko
17/07/2007, 4:31 PM
Vocally support all opposition teams in Europe = more respect for the league and the banishment our our small minded ways. Gotcha Superfrank

superfrank
17/07/2007, 4:40 PM
Vocally support all opposition teams in Europe = more respect for the league and the banishment our our small minded ways. Gotcha Superfrank
I never said that we should go out and support the teams el clubs play against. My point is that I don't think we should support other el clubs that play in Europe.