RogerMilla
16/07/2007, 4:04 PM
One scottish team i believe....

red rovers
16/07/2007, 5:16 PM
The 3 clubs are Newcastle Rangers and Porthsmouth

Risteard
16/07/2007, 10:53 PM
Developments at St. James Park would suggest it might be ex-owners or something.
I wouldn't put anything past Freddie Shepherd. He's a horrible character. Were Newcastle part of the Panorama investigation which included Redknapp and the Allardyces.

superfrank
16/07/2007, 11:54 PM
Developments at St. James Park would suggest it might be ex-owners or something.
I wouldn't put anything past Freddie Shepherd. He's a horrible character. Were Newcastle part of the Panorama investigation which included Redknapp and the Allardyces.
Ah, fill in the missing pieces. Redknapp=Portsmouth.
Allardyce (now)=Newcastle.

As they say, no smoke without fire.

pineapple stu
17/07/2007, 12:40 AM
Were Newcastle part of the Panorama investigation which included Redknapp and the Allardyces.
They were. They sacked Kevin Bond (?) as assistant after he was mentioned in the programme, but then go and appoint Allardyce manager.

superfrank
17/07/2007, 11:48 AM
They were. They sacked Kevin Bond (?) as assistant after he was mentioned in the programme, but then go and appoint Allardyce manager.
Kevin Bond was also Redknapp's first team coach at Portsmouth......

galwayhoop
17/07/2007, 3:35 PM
personally i don't see too much of a problem with 'tapping up' of players. as i reckon it is rife within football anyway, and is similar to 'head-hunting' in other sectors of the corporate/industrial world.

eg:
player is signed to 'charlton' and gets €10,000 per week, he tells his agent he would like a move for more money. agent meets with 'newcastle' by accident/on-purpose and mentions his client would probably move there if conditions were right. 'newcastle' wonder how much he would like and agent says €20,000 per week. newcastle reckon they could do that. agent tells player. player hands in transfer request or gets one of his friends (or agent) to ring the news of the world and say he is unsettled. cue bid by newcastle.

i'm sure this happens every second day. or even a friend of a player tells his manager that his mate at another club would like to move. cue bid.

however... bribes, throwing matches, payments to refs, betting syndicates and other such stuff has no place in football.

John83
17/07/2007, 4:16 PM
Yeah, making it against the rules to speak to anyone while under contract is daft, a holdover from the era of contract slavery in football.