PDA

View Full Version : GAA qualifiers draw yesterday

seand
16/07/2007, 1:00 PM
Just happened to catch the draw 'live' on RTE yesterday evening. Did anyone else notice something a bit dodgy? When the third home team were drawn out (I think it was Galway) Michael Lyster said something along the lines of '...and their opponents have to be Meath' before Meath were pulled out. Sure enough it was Meath.... but Louth were still in the pot with Meath at the time Lyster announced Meath as Galway's opponents!

Now I can't really see any reason why they'd fix the draw, or fix it that way anyway, but am I going mad or did anyone else see that?

DmanDmythDledge
16/07/2007, 1:45 PM
Now I can't really see any reason why they'd fix the draw, or fix it that way anyway, but am I going mad or did anyone else see that?
Yeah saw that yesterday. I didn't take any notice of it because it thought it was due to Galway not being able to draw the other remaining team as they had already played them. Weird stuff alright!

NeilMcD
16/07/2007, 2:21 PM
It is because Meath and Louth came through the qualifiers and Galway were the beaten provincial finalists.

Basically the four qualifiers play the four losers of the provincial finalists.

seand
16/07/2007, 2:46 PM
Yes, but when Galway were drawn out, as provinical runners-up, we knew they couldn't draw Cork, but they could have drawn EITHER Meath or Louth. Lyster seemed to know in advance that it was Meath. (We then saw Cork and Louth being drawn)