PDA

View Full Version : European Predictions?(for Irish League and LOI Clubs)

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 9:00 AM
Linfield vs Elfsborg

If Linfield can come out and fight for every ball, don't make mistakes we might be able to sneak a win here. Unfortunately with Linfield in pre-season training and IMO very poor European preperation, I can only hope I'll be my doubts are wrong and we have prepared well behind the scenes.

Derry City vs Pyunik

Derry City have been struggling this season and they are playing against an unknown side, who apparently are streets ahead of the rest in their league. I think though that this game could be a 0-0 draw or a 1-1 draw.

Libertas vs Drogheda

The only cert of all the fixtures. I would expect Drogs to wrap this tie up in the first leg. I predict atleast a 0-4 win here for Drogs.

Glentoran vs AIK

Glentoran has had a good pre-season although the teams they played aren't that great. AIK are struggling in Sweden but Swedish football is considerably higher standard. I think AIK will have too much fitness and speed for an aging Glentoran side. I predict a 1-2 AIK win.

Dungannon vs Suduva

Dungannon have no real European experience and going by last seasons performances they are very much a middle of the road IL side. With a couple of good players and one very good player in McCalister. However I can only see Dungannon losing this game 0-2

St Pats vs OB

St Pats are having a good season so far, but I feel OB will be that bit better. I think St Pats will be stretched, but if they get the bit between their teeth they could pull off a credible draw or even snatch a win.

Overall I think Irish League and LOI clubs have got a hard draw in Europe this year. Drogheda is the only cert. Hopefully though 2 or 3 teams more can get through.

What are your predictions for each game?

GavinZac
16/07/2007, 9:03 AM
Linfield 0-2 Elfsborg
Derry City 1-0 Pyunik
Libertas 1-1 Drogheda
Glentoran 0-2 AIK
Dungannon 0-3 Suduva
St Pats 1-1 OB

Philly
16/07/2007, 9:10 AM
Linfield 1-2 Elfsborg
Derry City 2-0 Pyunik
Libertas 0-3 Drogheda
Glentoran 0-2 AIK
Dungannon 0-2 Suduva
St Pats 1-2 OB

ifk101
16/07/2007, 9:20 AM
Linfield 0-1 Elfsborg, Elfsborg 4-0 Linfield
Derry City 0-0 Pyunik, Pyunik 2-0 Derry
Libertas 0-1 Drogheda, Drogheda 3-0 Libertas
Glentoran 0-2 AIK, AIK 2-0 Glentoran
Dungannon 0-1 Suduva, Suduva 1-0 Dungannon
St Pats 1-0 OB, OB 2-0 St Pats

I can't see Linfield getting anything out of the games with Elfsborg. I'm surprised that the away leg will be played at Elfsborg's home ground - which has a plastic pitch. This is a major disadvantage for Linfield.

Haven't a clue how good Pyunik are. But they seem capable of getting a result in Derry and winning the tie.

Drogs should win both legs.

I don't think AIK will have any problems with Glentoran.

Suduva are in the middle of their season so they should have the edge on Dungannon.

I've a feeling Pats can scrape a home win against OB but I make OB favourites to win the tie.

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 9:37 AM
Linfield 0-1 Elfsborg, Elfsborg 4-0 Linfield
Derry City 0-0 Pyunik, Pyunik 2-0 Derry
Libertas 0-1 Drogheda, Drogheda 3-0 Libertas
Glentoran 0-2 AIK, AIK 2-0 Glentoran
Dungannon 0-1 Suduva, Suduva 1-0 Dungannon
St Pats 1-0 OB, OB 2-0 St Pats

I can't see Linfield getting anything out of the games with Elfsborg. I'm surprised that the away leg will be played at Elfsborg's home ground - which has a plastic pitch. This is a major disadvantage for Linfield.

Haven't a clue how good Pyunik are. But they seem capable of getting a result in Derry and winning the tie.

Drogs should win both legs.

I don't think AIK will have any problems with Glentoran.

Suduva are in the middle of their season so they should have the edge on Dungannon.

I've a feeling Pats can scrape a home win against OB but I make OB favourites to win the tie.

You might be right. But one thing I cannot see and that's Linfield NOT scoring over the two legs.

lofty9
16/07/2007, 10:46 AM
You can get 5/1 on Pyunik to win at the Brandywell. I like a bet. Is it wrong for me to bet against my own team? Those odds are simply too good to turn down. :(

Dodge
16/07/2007, 10:56 AM
You can get 5/1 on Pyunik to win at the Brandywell. I like a bet. Is it wrong for me to bet against my own team? Those odds are simply too good to turn down. :(

I've often bet against Pats. Would rather we won but if we lose I have a little compensation. Far too many people bet with their heart

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 11:01 AM

Suppose it's a win win situation. You lose you get a wee pay out, you win then you get a good result.

If you draw, then you lose both ways :p

paul_oshea
16/07/2007, 11:26 AM
You can get 5/1 on Pyunik to win at the Brandywell. I like a bet. Is it wrong for me to bet against my own team? Those odds are simply too good to turn down

nah its the best thing, cos you dont care how much money you lose so long as they win!!!

bruce i never thought of the draw factor!!

Dodge
16/07/2007, 11:30 AM
Lay Derry on betfair if you want to include the draw.

As for predictions; Drogheda should win home and away. Think Derry will have enough to get by. In our game I'm not too confident. I think we'll score goals but can't see us keeping a clean sheet at home, never mind away. Just hope we keep the tie alive for the trip to Denmark

Cymro
16/07/2007, 11:57 AM
Linfield vs Elfsborg

Cymro says: 1-0, 1-2-Linfield through on away goals.

Derry City vs Pyunik

Cymro says: 2-0, 2-3, Derry through by one goal.

Libertas vs Drogheda

Cymro says: 0-2, 0-4, easy win for Drogheda.

Glentoran vs AIK

Cymro says: 1-2, 0-2, AIK are going to be too strong in my opinion.

Dungannon vs Suduva

Cymro says: 1-0, 0-0, Dungannon to get through by the skin of their teeth. Suduva are poor so the Swifts can do that if they put their mind to it.

St Pats vs OB

Cymro says: 1-1, 1-3, Odense will have too much.

The Welsh teams (c'mon guys)

The New Saints v Ventspils

Cymro says: 1-0, 1-3, sadly, the Latvians will probably edge the tie.

Caerfyrddin v SK Brann

Cymro says: 1-2, 0-2, I'll be watching this one at Richmond Park, realistically I don't expect carmarthen to achieve anything, but will hope to see a good performance.

Rhyl v FC Haka

Cymro says: 1-0, 1-2, best chance of all the Welsh sides in my opinion. Away goals victory, with a bit of luck.

Dodge
16/07/2007, 12:12 PM
:cool:
Caerfyrddin v SK Brann

Cymro says: 1-2, 0-2, I'll be watching this one at Richmond Park, realistically I don't expect carmarthen to achieve anything, but will hope to see a good performance.

Is their home ground called Richmond Park too? I feel an SEI close season trip now...

Pablo
16/07/2007, 12:46 PM
:cool:

Is their home ground called Richmond Park too? I feel an SEI close season trip now...

Its also known as the Stadium of Shyte fullily enough! :D

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 12:57 PM
Linfield vs Elfsborg

Cymro says: 1-0, 1-2-Linfield through on away goals.

Derry City vs Pyunik

Cymro says: 2-0, 2-3, Derry through by one goal.

Libertas vs Drogheda

Cymro says: 0-2, 0-4, easy win for Drogheda.

Glentoran vs AIK

Cymro says: 1-2, 0-2, AIK are going to be too strong in my opinion.

Dungannon vs Suduva

Cymro says: 1-0, 0-0, Dungannon to get through by the skin of their teeth. Suduva are poor so the Swifts can do that if they put their mind to it.

St Pats vs OB

Cymro says: 1-1, 1-3, Odense will have too much.

The Welsh teams (c'mon guys)

The New Saints v Ventspils

Cymro says: 1-0, 1-3, sadly, the Latvians will probably edge the tie.

Caerfyrddin v SK Brann

Rhyl v FC Haka

Cymro says: 1-0, 1-2, best chance of all the Welsh sides in my opinion. Away goals victory, with a bit of luck.

I hope your predictions are right:D

Cymro
16/07/2007, 1:28 PM
I hope your predictions are right:D

I don't know why you think Linfield will definitely lose. OK, they are a reasonable side, but look at the recent record of Swedish sides in Europe. They have lost 2 out of 3 to Cork, and Linfield must surely be of a similar standard to them? Also, they rarely make it past the second rounds and Gefle lost to Llanelli last year. Hardly unbeatable.

I suppose having a winter season makes things harder, but with the right preperation that problem can be solved. I personally think more teams from Wales and Northern ireland should play each other in pre-season. The standard seems to be pretty similar and it would be better than playing lower league sides as preperation.

In my opinion, if Linfield are focused and on form they can absolutely beat Elfsborg. It will be close, but I feel they can be beaten.

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 1:33 PM
I don't know why you think Linfield will definitely lose. OK, they are a reasonable side, but look at the recent record of Swedish sides in Europe. They have lost 2 out of 3 to Cork, and Linfield must surely be of a similar standard to them? Also, they rarely make it past the second rounds and Gefle lost to Llanelli last year. Hardly unbeatable.

I suppose having a winter season makes things harder, but with the right preperation that problem can be solved. I personally think more teams from Wales and Northern ireland should play each other in pre-season. The standard seems to be pretty similar and it would be better than playing lower league sides as preperation.

In my opinion, if Linfield are focused and on form they can absolutely beat Elfsborg. It will be close, but I feel they can be beaten.

I don't think we'll definately lose, I just think that because of any decent match practise, we wont be sharp enough to erradicate silly mistakes. Silly mistakes has cost linfield in most of our seasons.

Their has been 4 or 5 occasions in the last 10 years that Linfield should have progressed, but we either give a way a stupid free kick, or we miss penalties or we miss kick for the opposition to capitalise on.

Hopefully DJ has got his preperations spot on, but IMO it seems very lacklustre at best.

ifk101
16/07/2007, 1:49 PM

Elfsborg are a full-time professional side that halfway through their season. Linfield are a predominately part-time club that's played 2(/3 maybe) pre-season games. Elfsborg's budget is 10-15 times the size of Linfield's. They're already in Belfast preparing for the game and no Irish League club side has ever beaten Swedish opposition.

So yes - it will be close. ;)

OneRedArmy
16/07/2007, 1:57 PM
Elfsborg's budget is 10-15 times the size of Linfield's.Is there really that much of a difference? I would presume Linfield have by far the biggest budget in the IL.

Linfield's achilles heel in Europe will always be their lack of match practice, particularly given so many of the sides in the early rounds play a summer season and will be at full tilt.

At least none of the team appear to have gone on holiday this year.

LeixlipRed
16/07/2007, 2:01 PM
On Suduva, they finished 5th last year in Lit. Vetra finished 3rd. Shels played Vetra last year and they were a shockingly bad side. So dungannon might not embarrass themselves there

ifk101
16/07/2007, 2:07 PM
Is there really that much of a difference? I would presume Linfield have by far the biggest budget in the IL.

Linfield's achilles heel in Europe will always be their lack of match practice, particularly given so many of the sides in the early rounds play a summer season and will be at full tilt.

At least none of the team appear to have gone on holiday this year.

Little exaggeration on my part but AFAIK their budget is around SEK 65 million which is about 7 million euros.

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 2:14 PM
Little exaggeration on my part but AFAIK their budget is around SEK 65 million which is about 7 million euros.

That would be 9 times our budget then :D

Cymro
16/07/2007, 2:32 PM
Elfsborg are a full-time professional side that halfway through their season. Linfield are a predominately part-time club that's played 2(/3 maybe) pre-season games. Elfsborg's budget is 10-15 times the size of Linfield's. They're already in Belfast preparing for the game and no Irish League club side has ever beaten Swedish opposition.

So yes - it will be close. ;)

Their budget is between £5m and £7.5m? If true, fair enough, but I doubt it, more in the region of £1m-£2m surely?

Money means nothing anyway. If you haven't got the pedigree, you could throw all the money in the world at something and it wouldn't work.

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 2:35 PM
Their budget is between £5m and £7.5m? If true, fair enough, but I doubt it, more in the region of £1m-£2m surely?

I'll be able to tell you tomorrow if they are 9 times the team of Linfield or not.

To be honest I think their is a bit of over-exaggeration on the standard of Elfsborg and also underestimation of Linfields standard.

ifk101
16/07/2007, 2:44 PM
I'll be able to tell you tomorrow if they are 9 times the team of Linfield or not.

To be honest I think their is a bit of over-exaggeration on the standard of Elfsborg and also underestimation of Linfields standard.

Honestly - I don't think you'll be impressed by Elfsborg tomorrow night. If their league play is anything to go they'll most likely play a 4-5-1 formation and just keep it tight. Elfsborg will be happy with a draw.

Money means nothing anyway. If you haven't got the pedigree, you could throw all the money in the world at something and it wouldn't work.

Gefle, the team knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Llanelli, have one of the smallest budgets in the Swedish top flight and I'd reckon that's around £2 million.

red rovers
16/07/2007, 2:56 PM
on agg linfield 3 elfsborg 2 derry[pens] 1 pyunik 1 drogs 5 libertas 2 glentoran 1 aik 6 dungannann 2 suduva 2[away goals] pats 1 OB 0

Steve Bruce
16/07/2007, 3:03 PM
on agg linfield 3 elfsborg 2 derry[pens] 1 pyunik 1 drogs 5 libertas 2 glentoran 1 aik 6 dungannann 2 suduva 2[away goals] pats 1 OB 0

I'd give you my left arm if you are correct.:D

ifk101
17/07/2007, 9:48 AM
Honestly - I don't think you'll be impressed by Elfsborg tomorrow night. If their league play is anything to go they'll most likely play a 4-5-1 formation and just keep it tight. Elfsborg will be happy with a draw.

Oops - Elfsborg are going to play 4-4-2 tonight. :D

Steve Bruce
17/07/2007, 10:07 AM
Oops - Elfsborg are going to play 4-4-2 tonight. :D

That's good. Linfield should play with the 451 to start with. If we are doing alright in the first 20 minutes, then we should start getting a bit more adventurous.

ifk101
17/07/2007, 10:22 AM
That's good. Linfield should play with the 451 to start with. If we are doing alright in the first 20 minutes, then we should start getting a bit more adventurous.

FYI Elfsborg are expected to line up as follows;
Johan Wiland,
Martin Andersson - Andreas Augustsson - Fredrik Björck - Johan Karlsson
Daniel Mobaeck - Anders Svensson - Samuel Holmén - Stefan Ishizaki
Fredrik Berglund - Mathias Svensson.

Steve Bruce
17/07/2007, 10:31 AM
FYI Elfsborg are expected to line up as follows;
Johan Wiland,
Martin Andersson - Andreas Augustsson - Fredrik Björck - Johan Karlsson
Daniel Mobaeck - Anders Svensson - Samuel Holmén - Stefan Ishizaki
Fredrik Berglund - Mathias Svensson.

Do you know anything about any of them players.

I know of the two Svensson's. Both good players, although past their best.

ifk101
17/07/2007, 11:01 AM
Do you know anything about any of them players.

I know of the two Svensson's. Both good players, although past their best.

In fairness Anders Svensson is not doing too badly - he is playing quite well this season but he is carrying a knock for this game. Good passer of the ball when he's in the mood.
Mathias Svensson is approaching the end of his career but he still is a very useful target player and excellent in the air.
Samuel Holmén is an up and coming player in Sweden. He made the national squad for the recent Iceland game but he's still a bit away from making the Swedish team. Good box-to-box player - somebody to keep an eye out for.
Fredrik Berglund is a recent signing from FCK (Copenhagen). Small, quick, and good finisher - should be a good complement to Mathias Svensson.

Probably the weak point of the team is Fredrik Björck. He's also a recent signing that was bought to replace a player that's moved onto Toulouse. He's good in the air and that probably the reason he's starting as Elfsborg are expecting the ball to be played in the air a lot.

Steve Bruce
17/07/2007, 11:14 AM
In fairness Anders Svensson is not doing too badly - he is playing quite well this season but he is carrying a knock for this game. Good passer of the ball when he's in the mood.
Mathias Svensson is approaching the end of his career but he still is a very useful target player and excellent in the air.
Samuel Holmén is an up and coming player in Sweden. He made the national squad for the recent Iceland game but he's still a bit away from making the Swedish team. Good box-to-box player - somebody to keep an eye out for.
Fredrik Berglund is a recent signing from FCK (Copenhagen). Small, quick, and good finisher - should be a good complement to Mathias Svensson.

Probably the weak point of the team is Fredrik Björck. He's also a recent signing that was bought to replace a player that's moved onto Toulouse. He's good in the air and that probably the reason he's starting as Elfsborg are expecting the ball to be played in the air a lot.

Lets hope Anders Svenson doesn't make it:p

I think a lot also depends on which Linfield side turns up. If our best footballing side turns up, we have every chance as our passing and movement isn't bad when playing well.

If we revert to the long ball game, we could be in for a long night. Although if we can defend well enough, we might be able to nick it at the end.

Cymro
17/07/2007, 7:31 PM
Half time scores: TNS 1-1 Ventspils
Linfield 0-0 Elfsborg

Cymro
17/07/2007, 8:35 PM
Full Time:

TNS 3-2 Ventspils
Linfield 0-0 Elfsborg

Decent results for both.

Other results:

Olimpi Rustavi (Geo) 0-0 Astana (Kaz)
Khazar Lenkoran (Aze) 1-1 Dinamo Zagreb (Cro)
APOEL Nicosia (Cyp) 2-0 BATE Borisov (Bls)
Zeta (Mot) 3-1 FBK Kaunas (Ltu)
S.S. Murata (San) 1-2 Tampere United (Fin)

paul_oshea
17/07/2007, 8:59 PM
sounded like effofberg played for the draw though in fairness.

Cymro
17/07/2007, 9:11 PM
I listened to the BBC commentary of the Linfield game. In the first half they said Linfield were poor and it was just a question of how many but in the second half they were much better.

Graemerz
17/07/2007, 10:55 PM
Fantastic second half performance from the Blues, we had them rocked and we could have stolen it. First half was just us getting adjusted to the game. McAreavey started to call the shots in the middle. Thompson and Dickson worked tirelessly. Murphy and Bailie were immense. Curran looked promising but was mainly annonymous in the first 45.

ifk101
18/07/2007, 6:21 AM
I listened to the BBC commentary as well.

It sounded like it was pretty much all Elfsborg in the first half and they had a few good chances to score.
Linfield seemed to take over in the second half and had the Swedes on the ropes for the first twenty minutes of the second half. From this point on it sounded like Elfsborg came back into the match a bit, especially when James Keene came on, and both sides had chances to nick it at the end.

Overall the Swedes seem happy with the result but disappointed not to have scored with the chances they had. I think if they had gotten an away goal, the return match would have been a foregone conclusion. But as it is now the tie is still in the balance.

Very good result for the Welsh side - shame about the two away goals but after scoring 3 at home TNS should be confident of getting away goals of their own in the return leg.

Hopefully Derry can get a good result tonight.

Steve Bruce
18/07/2007, 8:39 AM
I listened to the BBC commentary as well.

It sounded like it was pretty much all Elfsborg in the first half and they had a few good chances to score.
Linfield seemed to take over in the second half and had the Swedes on the ropes for the first twenty minutes of the second half. From this point on it sounded like Elfsborg came back into the match a bit, especially when James Keene came on, and both sides had chances to nick it at the end.

Overall the Swedes seem happy with the result but disappointed not to have scored with the chances they had. I think if they had gotten an away goal, the return match would have been a foregone conclusion. But as it is now the tie is still in the balance.

Very good result for the Welsh side - shame about the two away goals but after scoring 3 at home TNS should be confident of getting away goals of their own in the return leg.

Hopefully Derry can get a good result tonight.

Linfields first half performance was poor. Mannus showed us once again why he is the best keeper in the land. Elfsborg looked good in the first half, good passing, turning defence into attack with one ball etc. They should have scored 2.

The 2nd half was a different ball game. We should have had a penalty for a blatent hand ball. We had 3 glorious chances. And our two front men had their defence panicking a bit. Even when they went forward, they kept 4 defenders behind to try and cope with our front two.

If I'm honest, I think it is still a big ask but if we nick one early, they will have to score two.

Drogheda and Cork are both better teams that Elfsborg. If Linfield played summer football or if this game was played in September I would have all the confidence in the world that we would beat them.

Steve Bruce
18/07/2007, 8:40 AM
Can I also say. Well done to TNS, a good result and I think if you can score 3 in this leg, you will score in the next. well done.

Bluebeard
18/07/2007, 8:55 AM
Congrats to TNS/The New Saints. Glad to see them doing well. And to think a few years ago there was talk of them giving up their place to Liverpool.

Dodge
18/07/2007, 9:00 AM
Congrats to TNS/The New Saints. Glad to see them doing well. And to think a few years ago there was talk of them giving up their place to Liverpool.

Instigated by themselves

oriel
18/07/2007, 9:04 AM
Decent result for Linfield last night, epecially as its pre season for them.

What the crowd like ?

Steve Bruce
18/07/2007, 10:14 AM
Decent result for Linfield last night, epecially as its pre season for them.

What the crowd like ?

Around 3000. Although some report said 2100.(which I never seen myself some one said to me) But that is a huge underestimation considering the South Stand holds 2800 and their was atleast 2000 in it. But anyway.

EDIT - On the Elfsborg website it says 2300

GavinZac
19/07/2007, 8:56 PM
Libertas 1-1 Drogheda
I had total faith in their inability