PDA

View Full Version : Who'll be kings of Europe?

Pages : [1] 2

Badweather Fan
05/03/2003, 9:37 PM
AC Milan
Arsenal
Barcelona
Man united
Real Madrid

Who'll win it?

A mon avis, Real Madrid.
They'll stutter, they'll be lazy and they'll just crawl into the quarters.
Then all of a sudden it'll be June(?) and Zidane il be over-headkicking into the ring at Old Trafford.

Neil
05/03/2003, 9:43 PM
Is there only five teams left?

Badweather Fan
05/03/2003, 9:45 PM
Thought they were the main contenders.
Who do ya have in mind?
Edit to your hearts content.

Hey, why aren't i allowed edit me own poll.
Ah well, Madrid.

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Badweather Fan
AC Milan
Arsenal
Barcelona
Man united
Real Madrid

Who'll win it?

Real, definitely. They've started to find some form domestically, got their European wake-up call against Dortmund and on the principle of lightning not striking twice will be a totally different side from here on.

That said, I'd be very slow to rule out AC Milan.

Schumi
06/03/2003, 12:12 PM
I think AC and Barca are the most likely (I've given up on Juve at this stage).

Hey, why aren't i allowed edit me own poll. Click edit on the post.

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
I think AC and Barca are the most likely (I've given up on Juve at this stage).

AC yes, but, Barca? NO, NO, NO!!! Barca have been very lucky so far in getting drawn with alot of teams who they, and everyone else in the tournament, would fancy themselves against. They haven't impressed me in the least and when faced with ANY half-decent side in the knockout stages, they will rollover and die.

Badweather Fan
06/03/2003, 12:45 PM
Click edit on the post.
No such luck.
Don't think its necessary though.
Can't see anyone else lifting it.
Anyone fancy Arsenal?

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 12:47 PM
No such luck.
Don't think its necessary though.
Can't see anyone else lifting it.
Anyone fancy Arsenal?

No. Hell, I wouldn't even give United a ghost of a chance.

SÓC
06/03/2003, 4:39 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
AC yes, but, Barca? NO, NO, NO!!! Barca have been very lucky so far in getting drawn with alot of teams who they, and everyone else in the tournament, would fancy themselves against. They haven't impressed me in the least and when faced with ANY half-decent side in the knockout stages, they will rollover and die.

Yea I mean Inter Milan are so crap, total total rubish, I wouldnt ever rate them at all, MSL Standard I suppose.

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Yea I mean Inter Milan are so crap, total total rubish, I wouldnt ever rate them at all, MSL Standard I suppose.

Thought you might say something like that. Truth is any side who goes to the Nou Camp and lies down as easy as Inter did hasn't the heart/fight/will in them to stand a chance of winning the European Cup. So, no I don't rate Inter and still can't see Barca coming close to doing it.

Verdi
06/03/2003, 5:00 PM
It's Milan this year....
Mark my words....

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 5:05 PM
Originally posted by Verdi
It's Milan this year....
Mark my words....

Could be as I mentioned earlier, but, the fact is if everyone plays their best, and no team who doesn't wins the European Cup, then Real Madrid will win it. Probably be them v AC Milan in the Final, IMO.

Badweather Fan
06/03/2003, 7:10 PM
then Real Madrid will win it. Probably be them v AC Milan in the Final, IMO.
If so, would be the best final in yonks.
Hope you're right.

Colm
06/03/2003, 7:39 PM
Thought you might say something like that. Truth is any side who goes to the Nou Camp and lies down as easy as Inter did hasn't the heart/fight/will in them to stand a chance of winning the European Cup. So, no I don't rate Inter and still can't see Barca coming close to doing it.

SEJ, how many times have you seen Inter play this season? I've seen them twice in the champions league and I think 3 times in Serie A and bar one match have been very impressed. They certainly have as good a chance as any of the above teams.
Still, Barca are excellent in the CL and you can never rule out Real.

Real ale Madrid
09/03/2003, 7:45 PM
Think It could be Arsenal's year. THink they deserve a good run because they play great football.

Shed End John
10/03/2003, 11:59 AM
If so, would be the best final in yonks.
Hope you're right.

I hope I'm right also. After all, it's 1998 since two of Europe's true giants contested the European Cup Final (Real v Juve, Real won 1-0).
Real Ale Madrid, IMO Arsenal haven't enough of aclue how to play a holding game, look at the Ajax matches. This will count against them if they have to play one of the potential winners of the tournament.

eoinh
10/03/2003, 12:28 PM
ild say it will be Real or AC Milan.

Typical irish TV we wont get to see them until the British teams are knocked out or are drawn against them.

Badweather Fan
10/03/2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
Typical irish TV we wont get to see them until the British teams are knocked out or are drawn against them.
Good point horse.
We miss some great European matches so we can watch british tripe like Leverkusen V Newcastle.
So TV3 isn't exactly as rosey as a horses ass despite the lovely eL weekly.

Badweather Fan
15/03/2003, 12:08 AM
Good point horse.
We miss some great European matches so we can watch british tripe like Leverkusen V Newcastle.
So TV3 isn't exactly as rosey as a horses ass despite the lovely eL weekly.
I was proved wrong here bigtime.
Anyone know what matches TV3 have next week?

eoinh
15/03/2003, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Badweather Fan
[B]Good point horse.

horse ???? :confused:

Schumi
15/03/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by eoinh
horse ???? :confused: Is that not what the h is for no? ;)

Badweather Fan
16/03/2003, 5:19 PM
Ya, horse as in good one horse.
Horse, cheval, capall

Shed End John
18/03/2003, 10:40 AM

Anyone know what matches TV3 have next week?

Think they're showing United v Depor tonight. Talk about a meaningless game. United through, Depor out - ye get the picture. Wednesday will offer FAR better entertainment.

Badweather Fan
21/03/2003, 3:04 PM
Man united got knocked out today.
God thats astonishing.

Macy
21/03/2003, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Think It could be Arsenal's year. THink they deserve a good run because they play great football.

LOST PROPERTY BULLETIN

Item 1: Found in Valencia's Mestalla Stadium - white and red 'Make mine a treble!' flag. Thought to be of Southern English origin. Found strangely abandoned after last nights game between Valencia CF and Arsenal FC.

:cool:

Badweather Fan
22/03/2003, 12:37 AM
English clubs are facing a downturn in their fortunes compared to recent Champions League seasons.
+ Semis could be Milan and Spanish derbies.
Mmmmmmmmmm.
Mouthwatering.

Badweather Fan
22/03/2003, 12:39 AM
Can we reopen the poll?

joe
22/03/2003, 12:51 AM
done

do ye think we should start it from zero again seeing as how the quarter-finals draw has been made?

Real ale Madrid
23/03/2003, 8:03 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid

Kiss of death

Badweather Fan
23/03/2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by joe
do ye think we should start it from zero again seeing as how the quarter-finals draw has been made?
Ya joe, i do please, if you can.
Madrid looked the ultimate there against a fairly handy Deportivo while ago.
Its inevitable.

Shed End John
24/03/2003, 11:11 AM
Semis could be Milan and Spanish derbies.
Mmmmmmmmmm.
Mouthwatering.

I'll say. The only potential spanner in those particular works would be unpredictable Barca against Juventus, or Inter in a too-close-to-call encounter with valencia.

Badweather Fan
24/03/2003, 1:43 PM
Ah Barca il take care of Juve.
Juve are a spent force and Barca will be great again soon.
Valencia will be tough alright.

Badweather Fan
25/03/2003, 1:45 PM
Ya joe, i do please, if you can.

Joe?
Joe?
Hello?
Joe?
Joe, i said.
I couldn't have asked more nicely.
If iwas any more nice, i'd be a french football team.
Can ya do that joe?

joe
25/03/2003, 1:51 PM
sorry missed that.

right everyone should be able to vote again from 0 now

Badweather Fan
25/03/2003, 1:56 PM
can't vote yet but i'll give it a few moments before wrecking your head again.:)
Real Madrid.

joe
25/03/2003, 2:02 PM
what about now?

Shed End John
25/03/2003, 3:25 PM
Ah Barca il take care of Juve.
Juve are a spent force and Barca will be great again soon.
Valencia will be tough alright.

Don't be so sure. Juve are top of Serie A at the moment, so they're no spent force. Also, you're assuming that Barca were ever great in the first place. They weren't. They have a long history of underachievement, and will more likely than not take a spectacular fall a la 2001, 2002 etc.

Shed End John
25/03/2003, 4:49 PM

Madrid looked the ultimate there against a fairly handy Deportivo while ago.

Watched Eurogoals last night. No doubt about it Real were very impressive. Scoring goals for fun they are. I wouldn't like to be Real sociedad in the Spanish League decider in 2 weeks. IMO, Real will win the League/European Cup double.

Schumi
25/03/2003, 4:52 PM
I wouldn't like to be Real sociedad in the Spanish League decider in 2 weeks. I think Sociedad are ****ed anyway, they've blown a big lead and I can't see them getting back up to Real.

Shed End John
25/03/2003, 4:57 PM
I think Sociedad are ****ed anyway, they've blown a big lead and I can't see them getting back up to Real.

Agreed, it's highly unlikely that Sociedad will upset the applecart, even with home advantage. I seem to remember Real coming from way behind the last time they won the League. Think it was about 3 years ago. They were in 17th, and a right relegation dogfight at Christmas, yet somehow, they totally turned it around after Christmas and won the Championship. Btw, bet you were Juve's only vote so far?

Schumi
25/03/2003, 5:00 PM
Btw, bet you were Juve's only vote so far? :D Yeah, against my better judgement.

Shed End John
25/03/2003, 5:08 PM
:D Yeah, against my better judgement.

IMO, chances are Italian steel will triumph over Catalan flair, but, Juve won't come close to Real in the semi-final.

Schumi
25/03/2003, 5:16 PM
To be honest, I'd be surprised if they even beat Barca. The European performances I've seen were $hite. I assume they've been better in Italy but I haven't seen any of that.

Shed End John
25/03/2003, 5:20 PM
To be honest, I'd be surprised if they even beat Barca.

I wouldn't be. Not in the least. Barca have yet to play any half-decent side with enough heart/fight in them to stick it up to them. Being an Italian side, Juve will be well organised and very tight at the back, and Barca may not like it if things don't go their way fast.

Badweather Fan
25/03/2003, 9:33 PM
Originally posted by joe
what about now?
Great stuff Joe.
Sorry to spoil the whole underdog thing but i hope Sociedad fall apart(and Barca have an amazing resurrection).
When it comes to the Champions League i want the best teams there and possibly Bohs,:) .

Shed End John
27/03/2003, 11:06 AM

Sorry to spoil the whole underdog thing but i hope Sociedad fall apart(and Barca have an amazing resurrection).

Nice to see wishing Real all the best in the Championship decider. I wish I could say good luck to Barca in their fight against relegation, but, what kind of Real fan would that make me? I hope they drop like a bloody stone. Make a good quiz question too. The only European Cup winners EVER to get relegated the same season. Not that they'll get past Real.

Badweather Fan
27/03/2003, 11:11 AM
The only European Cup winners EVER to get relegated the same season. Not that they'll get past Real.
Didn't Marseille do that?

Shed End John
27/03/2003, 11:51 AM
Didn't Marseille do that?

Marseille actually won their domestic League Championship only a couple of weeks before they won the European Cup. When financial irregularities subsequently came to light, they were stripped of their League and European titles and booted down to Division 2.

Schumi
27/03/2003, 1:03 PM
The only European Cup winners EVER to get relegated the same season. Not that they'll get past Real. In fairness they're hardly likely to be relegated either.

Shed End John
27/03/2003, 3:17 PM
In fairness they're hardly likely to be relegated either.

I admit that it's unlikely, but, far from impossible. After all, the table never lies, and Barca are only 4/5 points above the drop zone.